49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
757Niner":msqse6q5 said:
loafoftatupu":msqse6q5 said:
757Niner":msqse6q5 said:
RolandDeschain said:
Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.

They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...

There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.

Yeah, they seem to be extremely sensitive these days. I lurk from time to time but I rarely ever post there anymore.

They actually remind me a lot of this board sometimes. You have managed to last here for a good while and while thick skinned, you are capable of duking it out and not getting banned. Maybe the next time you visit them you can give them examples. Heck, I won't hassle ya because the 757 was my favorite plane to build until they quit making them.

largenutz

Reaction score
pretty sure hes from the bay area, niners got the hometown discount. Man these 9er - Hawk games are gonna be epic!

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Winterfell":rjrc92o9 said:
RolandDeschain":rjrc92o9 said:
Huh? Culliver's ranked 29th overall, 21st in pass coverage per Pro Football Focus. I'm seriously wondering about your ability to read basic stats.

pff2012overallcbranking.png

There's the whole list. Richard Sherman, by the way, ranked 2nd overall and 1st - by a LARGE margin - in pass coverage. Nobody else even hit the 20s for pass coverage, but he was rated 26.4.

What amazes me is Antoine Winfield being ranked #1 overall. I knew he was an excellent run-stopper and tackler at CB, but didn't realize he'd be well-rounded enough overall to be #1, especially at his age.

That would be AWESOME if due to his age and the market for FAs, we were able to sign Antoine Winfield to a similar deal to what the 49ers gave to Asomugha. He sounds like he'd make a BEASTLY slot CB for us on a one year, incentives-laden deal, and improve our run defense.

Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?

Winterfell

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":337n7ddr said:
Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?

For the same reasons why San Francisco added Nnamdi Asomugha even though they have Rogers, Brown, and Culliver.

For added depth/insurance. Both the Seahawks and 49ers are, by and large, the two most "complete" and well-balanced teams in the entire league. Neither of us are in any real NEED for multiple positions. We're both just looking to improve what we already have, and have the luxury of picking the best players available in FA and the draft.

Although the Seahawks have arguably the best secondary in football, we could always use some improvement in the nickel cornerback position to defend those quick slot receivers. Although Marcus Trufant wasn't BAD per se, he wasn't eye-popping either. Adding Antoine Winfield to our secondary would add yet another extremely physical CB who is a sure tackler that will enhance our run defense further. He is also above average in pass coverage, so it's not like he'll be a one-trick pony.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.

Teqneek

Reaction score
The Outfield":21inifuc said:
How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.

Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

I never saw the hype.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Teqneek":17awfopb said:
The Outfield":17awfopb said:

Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

I never saw the hype.
Because number ones were pretty much going to do nothing vs the Raiders. How do you get interceptons when they won't throw your way?

Put away your stats, they are tricking you. Nnamdi might be getting slower and older, but he was damn good.

pehawk

Reaction score
Not to mention INT stats kinda suck and shouldn't be used when evaluating DB's (too much). Mark Carrier...that's all I'll say.

Very few CB's, as in 5 during my lifetime, have ever been able to "create" an interception. Most of them come from bad QB decisions or great DC play-calling.

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1cptrxd8 said:
Teqneek":1cptrxd8 said:
The Outfield":1cptrxd8 said:

I never saw the hype.
Because number ones were pretty much going to do nothing vs the Raiders. How do you get interceptons when they won't throw your way?

Put away your stats, they are tricking you. Nnamdi might be getting slower and older, but he was damn good.

Pretty much this. When you are a true shutdown corner like Sanders, Revis and Nnamdi used to be, quarterbacks rarely throw it to the man you are covering. A #1 WR becomes nothing more than a decoy for most of the game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Awesome-wah is the correct way to pronounce it.

@EastCoast: I doubt it. It seems more likely to me that he benefited largely from being the only CB that wasn't a joke on the Oakland roster, so QBs just tossed the other way. In fact, I just looked up his 2008 and 2009 stats, and WOW he was almost never thrown at. Almost half of his games over the 2008-2009 seasons, he was thrown at ONCE.

People were scared to throw at him. Maybe partially the Kelly Jennings effect too, though; stuck to his guy like glue, though he didn't defend that many of the passes people did throw his way. I don't know. He did defend 8 pases in 2012, however. I'll be curious to see how he performs with the 49ers.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
You know for a fan base that claims to not be too afraid of the fact we picked up Nnamdi, you guys are talking about him an awful lot. ;)

But seriously, don't let anybody fool you into thinking that we are all screaming "championship" now that we picked up Nnamdi. What we are happy about is the genius that our front office used in this pick up. It is a no risk deal that might pay dividends if he does return to close to his former self now that he is a part of a defense that he should be able to flourish in. We play man coverage 70% of the time, which should give him plenty of opportunities to prove himself. The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money proves that he is motivated to prove that he is still a pro bowl CB.

And if he doesn't work out, then he rides the bench for free!

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, SF is cutting-edge when it comes to "prove it" deals. I wish the Seahawks did those.

Man, SF is genius.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3jbqie3n said:
The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money

Don't get me wrong, no guaranteed money's great for the 49ers, but frankly I'm doubtful that he was running around offering to sign for nothing but incentives. After his HORRIBLE performance in Philly, he likely was having trouble leveraging any guaranteed money and is hiding it. Just a guess on my part, I have no facts to back it up.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ayrlizi said:
NinerLifer":3ayrlizi said:
The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money

Don't get me wrong, no guaranteed money's great for the 49ers, but frankly I'm doubtful that he was running around offering to sign for nothing but incentives. After his HORRIBLE performance in Philly, he likely was having trouble leveraging any guaranteed money and is hiding it. Just a guess on my part, I have no facts to back it up.

Possible, and I also imagine that the fact he was already banking $4 mil from Philly doesn't exactly leave him crying poverty either.

4freakin9

Reaction score
LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.

I personally can't find one bad thing about this signing. No guaranteed money at the players request is never heard of. This guy is hungry to prove those 2 years in phillies horrid defense were a fluke. If he sucks, then he gets cut and the niners are right back to where they were last week.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
4freakin9":3apdohxc said:
LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.

Not that I don't believe you over a major advanced stats website that most of the NFL media relies on, (yes, there's some sarcasm there) but can you point out a particular couple of games in 2012 where he was horrible in coverage for me to review on NFL Game Rewind? (I love the fact that you can watch entire games in ~33 minutes on there.)

mikeak

Reaction score
This is a great savings. This is what put the 49ers over the edge. Now when the 49ers team go out for team dinner they will get the AARP discount!

heyu123

Reaction score
pinksheets":1fphu0mi said:
Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.

I think you're using a lot of revisionist history here. If it was that simple then why aren't there more Nnamdi's out there on teams with bad secondaries? There's a ton of horrible defensive teams and corners, yet there aren't very many at all who were doing what Nnamdi did in Oakland. Teams like Houston and Indy back in the day didn't go into the game saying "Oh well we won't throw to our #1 Andre Johnson today because their other corners are so bad." Nnamdi for the most part was shutting his man down and at one point WAS a top corner.

Now, at this point in his career those days are probably over. But it's disingenuous to pretend like he's really never been that good and was only a product of bad teams.