Vote fro Marshawn Lynch for greatest play of all time

60niners

Reaction score
This vote is a joke. The fact that the Immaculate reception got beat out by A TACKLE is absurd.

It also goes to show the age of most of the voters... It's looking like Jackson's punt return will win it all. To say that that is the greatest play in NFL history is beyond laughable.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
60niners, where do you think Beastquake ranks? I think it's #1, but not because I'm a homer. Here's what I posted on the Seahawks Google+ post when they posted about it:

"The other 7 plays all involved a fair measure of luck in terms of the ball bounce, or placement, or other teammates. Beast Mode basically did this single-handedly, shedding 4,372 blocks on his run to victory. That's why he deserves to win."

MrCarey

Reaction score
I'm a homer and Beastquake is the best.

This post needs a pair of sunglasses to fall from the top of the screen onto it.

60niners

Reaction score
I don't know that I'd be able to pin it down. I do know that this league is OLD.... and to say that the top 4 plays are from within the last 15 years or so is a bit nearsighted.

Personally I thought the bestmode play was amazing. I remember rooting for Seattle in that game because the NFC West wasn't getting any love and I wanted one of our teams to win. I also rooted for AZ in the Super Bowl. I do not, however, believe that it is the greatest play of all time.

To say that is to say that, out of ever single play from the early 1900's and what-not, out of every single one play, millions by now, to say that the run is the best of all of that? I don't think I can quantify it like that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I agree about the last 15 years thing being a joke for the 4 best, but name a play where one single player put forth as much effort as Lynch did on the Beastquake run. (Serious question, because I want to see it if there is one.)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Dudes... the vote is a indeed a joke.

Please.. The rate of the Steve Young run vote is going at over 200 votes per second. I thought it was a great run at all, but 200 people a second?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
60niners":2mwu05u4 said:
Well it's going to sound homerish, you could argue that Garrison Hearst's 96 yard TD run was just as beasty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgrjrp6jXE

But I won't take anything away from Lynch's run, I too thought it was awesome.

You're right, that does sound homerish, lol. He got touched by about 3 people, compared to 7 or 8 for Lynch, and on kick-off returns everyone starts off looking for people to block and the returner has the whole field to start with; hardly comparable to a run.

60niners

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":a515p3kr said:
60niners":a515p3kr said:
Well it's going to sound homerish, you could argue that Garrison Hearst's 96 yard TD run was just as beasty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgrjrp6jXE

But I won't take anything away from Lynch's run, I too thought it was awesome.

You're right, that does sound homerish, lol. He got touched by about 3 people, compared to 7 or 8 for Lynch, and on kick-off returns everyone starts off looking for people to block and the returner has the whole field to start with; hardly comparable to a run.
That wasn't a good video, it was a run, from the 4 yard line, on the first series in overtime. Two stiff arms, and some good blocking. Nobody goes untouched for 96 yards though.

But I didn't post here to try to promote the Hearst run... It was just applicable to the question. Even if my 31 year old memory cannot recall a one run that was as mighty in the eyes of Seahawk fans (lol) as Lynch's run, doesn't mean that one does not exist. Hell, you can watch any Jim Brown highlight and watch him run over half of the opposing team.

kearly

Reaction score
It seems very obvious that someone is hacking votes for the Steve Young play. He had tens of thousands of votes in the previous rounds but in the most recent round before facing Lynch he got 12.5 million votes. His vote total increased by 30,000% in that previous round. Yeah, nothing fishy about that.

FWIW, if someone is going to win via hack, I'm glad it's that play. That would have had my vote if I wasn't rooting for Lynch. I think the Beast mode run went as far as it deserved to. It's too bad it wasn't in the other bracket where a leaping tackle made the penultimate round.

60niners

Reaction score
This type of vote is exactly why there's no fan voting for the Hall-of-Fame. I still can't believe that you can have a "top 4" of ALL TIME, and not have the immaculate reception in there.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Yeah, when they jumped from 20-30k votes to 20-30Million votes kinda gave away someone hacked the whole thing. That they didn't catch it and are letting it stand is lame.

Oh, and while Beastquake was awesome, the Immaculate Reception still stands as the greatest play of all time. Youngsters don't understand that Pittsburgh had come out of nowhere that season after 40 years of futility. In 40 years, this was only their second playoff appearance. There was 22 seconds left in the game. It was 4th and 10.

There couldn't have been a more incredible finish.

kearly

Reaction score
60niners":1duaklcz said:
This type of vote is exactly why there's no fan voting for the Hall-of-Fame. I still can't believe that you can have a "top 4" of ALL TIME, and not have the immaculate reception in there.

The funny part is how the immaculate reception lost to the "why did this get nominated?" Polamalu tackle. The best play in Steelers history got wiped out by a play most Steelers fans don't even remember.

My only quibble with people touting the immaculate reception is that I would classify it as the "luckiest" or "most remarkable" play, but not the "greatest". Greatest implies displaying greatness.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
My bad, I thought that was a return TD for some reason.

@Salish: Meh, I still point out that there was a significant amount of luck involved with the ball bouncing the way it did. I don't see why anyone should get all the credit for an incredible piece of luck. Skill as well, no doubt about it, but repeat that play as closely as possible and 9,999 out of every 10,000 times, there is no score. Do you think someone lucky enough to win a $300m lottery jackpot deserves it just because they bought the ticket? :) No, there was a lot of luck involved, lol.

The immaculate reception is the luckiest play of all time. It's not the greatest.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Steve Young vote is now below 1,300,000. They must have adjusted it.

Still winning by a few hundred thousand, though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That is about 800,000 votes for Steve Young in the last 30 minutes, same for Lynch. Something is off.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Yeah, the damage is done. The hacking finished this off pretty quickly.