49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:57 pm
  • Good signing for them imo. Chance to compete and prove he isn't washed up, and the contract is practically nothing.
    User avatar
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:37 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm
  • Winterfell wrote:
    heyu123 wrote:Good depth signing for basically nothing. By all accounts he was misused terribly in Philly by an OL coach posing as D coordinator.

    The Niners will use him correctly, as we possess one of the best staffs in football.

    He won't be Oakland Raiders Nnamdi anymore most likely, as he's older now and probably has lost a step or two. However I think you'll see him perform somewhere in the middle, ie an acceptable starter/great backup. Especially with two healthy Smiths rushing the passer.


    If he reverts close to his form back from his Oakland days, you guys will have had a great steal. If he doesn't, your financial commitment to his is basically zero, so congrats on that.

    Although your team will have to watch out for his effect on the locker room. I've read reports on NFL.com of him being a bit detached and cold towards his past teammates, eating lunch separately, stopping teammates in mid-sentence to say he didn't want to talk with them anymore, etc.


    Harbaugh does NOT put up with that ish. First sign of it and he's toast, having paid him $0 - and Nnamdi knows it. He CHOSE to sign here (over NO) for pennies on the dollar, if there is a dollar that is. I think he'll play his damndest, whether it's good play or not remains to be seen.
    ^ Niners Fan
    User avatar
    Babsmack
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:19 pm
  • I'm guessing he really just couldn't get guaranteed money from anyone and the 49ers let him spin his story about requesting it, lol.

    Babsmack wrote:Not sure why you guys quote/monkey with 49erswebzone.

    It's not the official message board for the Niners.

    This is:

    http://forums.49ers.com/index.php

    I know. I'm banned from there, too. For the same reason, actually; posting some stats, rofl. This was like 3 years ago, though. Haven't tried to go back.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:35 pm
  • heyu123 wrote:Good depth signing for basically nothing. By all accounts he was misused terribly in Philly by an OL coach posing as D coordinator.

    The Niners will use him correctly, as we possess one of the best staffs in football.

    Wait, is that the same staff that doesn't rotate defensive players and let a high draft pick ride the bench all season?

    For some reason, I'm flashing to the opening to Life of Brian, and Brian's mom's assessment of the Three Wise Men and their activities:

    (in falsetto voice) "That doesn't sound very wise to me."
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    User avatar
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7444
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm guessing he really just couldn't get guaranteed money from anyone and the 49ers let him spin his story about requesting it, lol.

    Babsmack wrote:Not sure why you guys quote/monkey with 49erswebzone.

    It's not the official message board for the Niners.

    This is:

    http://forums.49ers.com/index.php

    I know. I'm banned from there, too. For the same reason, actually; posting some stats, rofl. This was like 3 years ago, though. Haven't tried to go back.



    Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol

    anyway, back on topic.....

    Not sure I like Nnamdi, seems the TO type. Maybe Harbs can fix em!
    ^ Niners Fan
    User avatar
    Babsmack
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 pm
  • 757Niner wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.



    They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

    As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...



    There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.

    As for the signing?...... Championship! Probably as good as or better than Tru. LOL.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5885
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm
  • Babsmack wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'm guessing he really just couldn't get guaranteed money from anyone and the 49ers let him spin his story about requesting it, lol.

    Babsmack wrote:Not sure why you guys quote/monkey with 49erswebzone.

    It's not the official message board for the Niners.

    This is:

    http://forums.49ers.com/index.php

    I know. I'm banned from there, too. For the same reason, actually; posting some stats, rofl. This was like 3 years ago, though. Haven't tried to go back.



    Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol


    Actually its not. The .com board used to be a very good forum but over the years the posters have become very fair-weather and just plain ignorant on alot of levels. Most of the old-timers who brought good, intelligent insight moved on because it just became pointless being heard through the rhetoric. Now its over-run with irrational thought and knee-jerk, grandiose posturing by the majority. Both the .com boards and the webzone are shells of their former self. Just my opinion of course, but one I've seen echoed quite a few times by Niner fans who used to frequent both forums.
    User avatar
    757Niner
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 163
    Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:30 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:
    757Niner wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.



    They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

    As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...



    There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.


    Yeah, they seem to be extremely sensitive these days. I lurk from time to time but I rarely ever post there anymore.
    User avatar
    757Niner
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 163
    Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:30 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 pm
  • As much as it sickens me to say it, might be a diamond signing for hardouche and company. Nnamdi got LOST in zone coverage in Philly, but on the rare occasions they did have him in man he was fine. Aside from the Seahawks guess who else plays a lot of man? SF.

    Just happy it isn't Revis :)
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19208
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:48 pm
  • 757Niner wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:
    757Niner wrote:[quote="RolandDeschain"]Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.



    They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

    As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...



    There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.


    Yeah, they seem to be extremely sensitive these days. I lurk from time to time but I rarely ever post there anymore.[/quote]

    They actually remind me a lot of this board sometimes. You have managed to last here for a good while and while thick skinned, you are capable of duking it out and not getting banned. Maybe the next time you visit them you can give them examples. Heck, I won't hassle ya because the 757 was my favorite plane to build until they quit making them.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5885
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:08 pm
  • pretty sure hes from the bay area, niners got the hometown discount. Man these 9er - Hawk games are gonna be epic!
    User avatar
    largenutz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 884
    Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 pm
  • Winterfell wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Huh? Culliver's ranked 29th overall, 21st in pass coverage per Pro Football Focus. I'm seriously wondering about your ability to read basic stats.

    Image

    There's the whole list. Richard Sherman, by the way, ranked 2nd overall and 1st - by a LARGE margin - in pass coverage. Nobody else even hit the 20s for pass coverage, but he was rated 26.4.


    What amazes me is Antoine Winfield being ranked #1 overall. I knew he was an excellent run-stopper and tackler at CB, but didn't realize he'd be well-rounded enough overall to be #1, especially at his age.

    That would be AWESOME if due to his age and the market for FAs, we were able to sign Antoine Winfield to a similar deal to what the 49ers gave to Asomugha. He sounds like he'd make a BEASTLY slot CB for us on a one year, incentives-laden deal, and improve our run defense.


    Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?
    User avatar
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 404
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?


    For the same reasons why San Francisco added Nnamdi Asomugha even though they have Rogers, Brown, and Culliver.

    For added depth/insurance. Both the Seahawks and 49ers are, by and large, the two most "complete" and well-balanced teams in the entire league. Neither of us are in any real NEED for multiple positions. We're both just looking to improve what we already have, and have the luxury of picking the best players available in FA and the draft.

    Although the Seahawks have arguably the best secondary in football, we could always use some improvement in the nickel cornerback position to defend those quick slot receivers. Although Marcus Trufant wasn't BAD per se, he wasn't eye-popping either. Adding Antoine Winfield to our secondary would add yet another extremely physical CB who is a sure tackler that will enhance our run defense further. He is also above average in pass coverage, so it's not like he'll be a one-trick pony.
    Last edited by Winterfell on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 128
    Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm
    Location: The Wall


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm
  • 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?


    Lol, good question. We're spoiled?
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 am
  • Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

    Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

    Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

    The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 am
  • The Outfield wrote:How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.


    Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

    I never saw the hype.
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 280
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 am
  • Teqneek wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.


    Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

    I never saw the hype.

    Because number ones were pretty much going to do nothing vs the Raiders. How do you get interceptons when they won't throw your way?

    Put away your stats, they are tricking you. Nnamdi might be getting slower and older, but he was damn good.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 am
  • Not to mention INT stats kinda suck and shouldn't be used when evaluating DB's (too much). Mark Carrier...that's all I'll say.

    Very few CB's, as in 5 during my lifetime, have ever been able to "create" an interception. Most of them come from bad QB decisions or great DC play-calling.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10210
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Teqneek wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.


    Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

    I never saw the hype.

    Because number ones were pretty much going to do nothing vs the Raiders. How do you get interceptons when they won't throw your way?

    Put away your stats, they are tricking you. Nnamdi might be getting slower and older, but he was damn good.


    Pretty much this. When you are a true shutdown corner like Sanders, Revis and Nnamdi used to be, quarterbacks rarely throw it to the man you are covering. A #1 WR becomes nothing more than a decoy for most of the game.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 120
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 am
  • Awesome-wah is the correct way to pronounce it.

    @EastCoast: I doubt it. It seems more likely to me that he benefited largely from being the only CB that wasn't a joke on the Oakland roster, so QBs just tossed the other way. In fact, I just looked up his 2008 and 2009 stats, and WOW he was almost never thrown at. Almost half of his games over the 2008-2009 seasons, he was thrown at ONCE.

    People were scared to throw at him. Maybe partially the Kelly Jennings effect too, though; stuck to his guy like glue, though he didn't defend that many of the passes people did throw his way. I don't know. He did defend 8 pases in 2012, however. I'll be curious to see how he performs with the 49ers.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 am
  • You know for a fan base that claims to not be too afraid of the fact we picked up Nnamdi, you guys are talking about him an awful lot. ;)

    But seriously, don't let anybody fool you into thinking that we are all screaming "championship" now that we picked up Nnamdi. What we are happy about is the genius that our front office used in this pick up. It is a no risk deal that might pay dividends if he does return to close to his former self now that he is a part of a defense that he should be able to flourish in. We play man coverage 70% of the time, which should give him plenty of opportunities to prove himself. The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money proves that he is motivated to prove that he is still a pro bowl CB.

    And if he doesn't work out, then he rides the bench for free!
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 am
  • Yeah, SF is cutting-edge when it comes to "prove it" deals. I wish the Seahawks did those.

    Man, SF is genius.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 10210
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 am
  • NinerLifer wrote:The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money


    Don't get me wrong, no guaranteed money's great for the 49ers, but frankly I'm doubtful that he was running around offering to sign for nothing but incentives. After his HORRIBLE performance in Philly, he likely was having trouble leveraging any guaranteed money and is hiding it. Just a guess on my part, I have no facts to back it up.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money


    Don't get me wrong, no guaranteed money's great for the 49ers, but frankly I'm doubtful that he was running around offering to sign for nothing but incentives. After his HORRIBLE performance in Philly, he likely was having trouble leveraging any guaranteed money and is hiding it. Just a guess on my part, I have no facts to back it up.


    Possible, and I also imagine that the fact he was already banking $4 mil from Philly doesn't exactly leave him crying poverty either.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 am
  • LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.

    I personally can't find one bad thing about this signing. No guaranteed money at the players request is never heard of. This guy is hungry to prove those 2 years in phillies horrid defense were a fluke. If he sucks, then he gets cut and the niners are right back to where they were last week.
    4freakin9
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:53 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:38 am
  • Nnamdi is his name
    Nnamdi is his name
    Nnam-me, Nnam-you, Nnamdi
    Nnamdi is his name.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11026
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am
  • 4freakin9 wrote:LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.


    Not that I don't believe you over a major advanced stats website that most of the NFL media relies on, (yes, there's some sarcasm there) but can you point out a particular couple of games in 2012 where he was horrible in coverage for me to review on NFL Game Rewind? (I love the fact that you can watch entire games in ~33 minutes on there.)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:14 pm
  • DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:39 pm
  • This is a great savings. This is what put the 49ers over the edge. Now when the 49ers team go out for team dinner they will get the AARP discount!
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3495
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

    Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

    Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

    The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.


    I think you're using a lot of revisionist history here. If it was that simple then why aren't there more Nnamdi's out there on teams with bad secondaries? There's a ton of horrible defensive teams and corners, yet there aren't very many at all who were doing what Nnamdi did in Oakland. Teams like Houston and Indy back in the day didn't go into the game saying "Oh well we won't throw to our #1 Andre Johnson today because their other corners are so bad." Nnamdi for the most part was shutting his man down and at one point WAS a top corner.

    Now, at this point in his career those days are probably over. But it's disingenuous to pretend like he's really never been that good and was only a product of bad teams.
    heyu123
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:30 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:53 pm
  • I'm not saying he was only the product of that, I'm saying it helped him and inflated his reputation. My point is that the "Revis vs. Aso" debate was ridiculous at the time, he was never that kind of player. He was a pretty dang good corner who was looking like an elite corner, which I don't believe he was, and now he's fallen off a bit.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 pm
  • Hawk Finn wrote:Actually, it's not fair to criticize SF for this. I would have been happy to have Nnaammddii (sp?) in SEA if there was a significant need at the position. Like, if we were really, really desperate and the only other option was Carlos Rogers. Where did that guy end up, anyway?


    You really are Hawk Finn. :) I see what you did there, and thanks for the laughs
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 8706
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:26 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:I'm not saying he was only the product of that, I'm saying it helped him and inflated his reputation. My point is that the "Revis vs. Aso" debate was ridiculous at the time, he was never that kind of player. He was a pretty dang good corner who was looking like an elite corner, which I don't believe he was, and now he's fallen off a bit.


    That's probably a fair assessment. He probably never was as good as most thought coming from Oakland due to what you state, but he's probably not as bad as most think now coming off some rough years in Philly.

    I think we'll probably see a player somewhere in between those two extremes.
    heyu123
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:30 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:00 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:
    757Niner wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.



    They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

    As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...



    There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.

    As for the signing?...... Championship! Probably as good as or better than Tru. LOL.


    Hey lofa. I recognize your username from the Niners forums. Your avi is hilarious

    or are you a different dude?
    ^ Niners Fan
    User avatar
    Babsmack
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm
  • Babsmack wrote:Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol

    anyway, back on topic.....

    Not sure I like Nnamdi, seems the TO type. Maybe Harbs can fix em!


    I say you're full of it. I've tried twice and your mods are too pretentious to let me come and play and "pass the time", if that's what you youngin's are calling it these days. :les:
    :les: Image :les:


    pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    User avatar
    IronSaint
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 320
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm
    Location: New Orleans


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:38 pm
  • IronSaint wrote:
    Babsmack wrote:Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol

    anyway, back on topic.....

    Not sure I like Nnamdi, seems the TO type. Maybe Harbs can fix em!


    I say you're full of it. I've tried twice and your mods are too pretentious to let me come and play and "pass the time", if that's what you youngin's are calling it these days. :les:


    Not sure what the deal is, but took me 3 years of trying to register
    ^ Niners Fan
    User avatar
    Babsmack
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    4freakin9 wrote:LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.


    Not that I don't believe you over a major advanced stats website that most of the NFL media relies on, (yes, there's some sarcasm there) but can you point out a particular couple of games in 2012 where he was horrible in coverage for me to review on NFL Game Rewind? (I love the fact that you can watch entire games in ~33 minutes on there.)



    NE traded for Talib to shore up the position and move McCourty back too safety. You could probably watch any game within 3 weeks before the Talib trade to see it. For me, it was hearing about how bad McCourty sucked at CB constantly before the Talib trade on sports talk in the area. There was a clear upgrade in NE's coverage after Talib took over as the #1 corner. I guess I should believe an major advanced stats website over the NE front office though. Sarcasm aside, McCourty is doing alright as a safety but it was really weird how he looked like a stud as a rookie and then fell off the last couple of years playing CB.
    4freakin9
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:53 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 pm
  • 4freakin9 wrote:NE traded for Talib to shore up the position and move McCourty back too safety. You could probably watch any game within 3 weeks before the Talib trade to see it. For me, it was hearing about how bad McCourty sucked at CB constantly before the Talib trade on sports talk in the area. There was a clear upgrade in NE's coverage after Talib took over as the #1 corner. I guess I should believe an major advanced stats website over the NE front office though. Sarcasm aside, McCourty is doing alright as a safety but it was really weird how he looked like a stud as a rookie and then fell off the last couple of years playing CB.


    Well, the fact that New England has gone approximately 7,000 years since they last had a good secondary on their defense, I'm not making the assumption that they utilize their personnel correctly, or that they get the right personnel for the schemes they run. Just as a general statement.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:59 pm
  • I was listining to the guys on the radio this morning, and I have to agree with them, could have been Clayton.

    CB's are not a weakness that the 9ers needed to cover, sure, he'll be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade that will do a lot.

    9ers weakness is the front 4 depth, remember them being exhausted when the Hawks played them, well they need more of them.
    2) Safety, they just lost their enforcer and that too is what needs tending.

    So as a Hawk fan.. yeah, great, but it won't do you (49ers) much good.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 287
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 pm
  • There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were not to mention that the loss of Goldson makes his acquisition even more understandable. I don't see how it's a bad signing, and to simply dismiss him is strange, Carlos Rogers was never as highly regarded as Namdi was at one point. They both made huge migrations towards other teams at different ends of the country. One guy surged in Carlos Rodgers where one fell apart if anything it might be a case of the amount of talent around and bad schemes, not to mention the fact that maybe the offense of the 49ers helped their defense through ball control and minimal turn overs; the Eagles had quite a few turn over problems the past two years and that would put more pressure on the defense.

    He's probably not starting material anymore, and probably doesn't represent an actual threat like he once did, but you can't simply dismiss a veteran player who's going to a talented team who is seeking to rebound, and has proven he is capable of playing very well. What's expected of him in San Fransisco today is not the same of what the Eagles wanted out of him when he arrived there.
    Shinigami
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 28
    Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm
  • Shinigami wrote:There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were


    I strongly disagree. Nnamdi failed horribly in zone coverage. His skill is being a roadrunner tagging along with a receiver. Safety requires you to make snap decisions about where to go on the field. It's not like being a CB in zone coverage, per se, but it's quite different from playing man coverage on the side most of the time. I think Nnamdi would fail at safety; I don't see any evidence that he would succeed there. If you do, please explain, in detail, how you think he would succeed at safety? (Free safety; he's not a hitter or strong enough to go defend the run half the time.)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 am
  • Babsmack wrote:
    Hey lofa. I recognize your username from the Niners forums. Your avi is hilarious

    or are you a different dude?


    I'm pretty sure it is. :2:
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5885
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 am
  • Hey isn't Nnamdi the third person dude?
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5885
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:03 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:I was listining to the guys on the radio this morning, and I have to agree with them, could have been Clayton.

    CB's are not a weakness that the 9ers needed to cover, sure, he'll be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade that will do a lot.

    9ers weakness is the front 4 depth, remember them being exhausted when the Hawks played them, well they need more of them.
    2) Safety, they just lost their enforcer and that too is what needs tending.

    So as a Hawk fan.. yeah, great, but it won't do you (49ers) much good.


    I think that SF is going to probably use some of their current secondary players in other spots within it, while drafting some players to fill both spots. They were not "weak" there, but they were giving up some passing yards that the unit didnt give up earlier.

    I see NA as assurance that they have "some" level of talent there in the case of a young player not being ready. With all those picks the Niners should be able to find at least a few decent players.

    The loss of Goldson was one of impact, but that is more about the physical presence than anything. I would not be surprised to see one of the current players seeing some time in his spot.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5885
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Shinigami wrote:There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were


    I strongly disagree. Nnamdi failed horribly in zone coverage. His skill is being a roadrunner tagging along with a receiver. Safety requires you to make snap decisions about where to go on the field. It's not like being a CB in zone coverage, per se, but it's quite different from playing man coverage on the side most of the time. I think Nnamdi would fail at safety; I don't see any evidence that he would succeed there. If you do, please explain, in detail, how you think he would succeed at safety? (Free safety; he's not a hitter or strong enough to go defend the run half the time.)


    I'm just stating that he's a good player who clearly is no longer a pro bowler, but there's no reason to think that him going to a good team where he wont be the focal point can't be useful. As I stated the 49ers aren't expecting the things that the Eagles were so the benchmark of a quality season for him is a bit different now.
    Shinigami
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 28
    Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm
  • Ah. To be honest, I'm actually quite curious to see how he does in man coverage, now. Is his career already dead, or are we about to see a couple-year revival to finish with? I have no clue, though I think the chances are probably more in favor of being finished.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26414
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 pm
  • heyu123 wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

    Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

    Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

    The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.


    I think you're using a lot of revisionist history here. If it was that simple then why aren't there more Nnamdi's out there on teams with bad secondaries? There's a ton of horrible defensive teams and corners, yet there aren't very many at all who were doing what Nnamdi did in Oakland. Teams like Houston and Indy back in the day didn't go into the game saying "Oh well we won't throw to our #1 Andre Johnson today because their other corners are so bad." Nnamdi for the most part was shutting his man down and at one point WAS a top corner.

    Now, at this point in his career those days are probably over. But it's disingenuous to pretend like he's really never been that good and was only a product of bad teams.


    Just go back and look at the corner that played opposite Nnamdi...they weren't NFL caliber corners so teams went after those guys. Check number of targets against.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1881
    Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:52 pm
  • you guys act like we're leaning on nnamdi to win the game for us or something.. hes just another 1 year contract addition that will provide some depth/wisdom to the younger guys. even if he falls flat on his face, we're still contenders for the division
    User avatar
    FriscosFinest
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 207
    Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 pm


Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:43 am
  • Nam..
    Nnam..
    Nami.....
    Naid.........
    Not going to work here anymore .....
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1069
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


Previous


It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online