Alan Branch signs with Bills

Winterfell

Reaction score
Although I'm sad to see Branch go, I don't think it's any cause for real worry.

If you had to replace:

1. A large (6-5+ 300+) DT that eats space, holds his ground at the line of scrimmage, and mainly focuses on stuffing the run.

vs.

2. An athletic (speed, quickness, nimble feet, explosive) DT that collapses the pocket, pressures the QB, breaks up plays in the backfield, runs sideline to sideline.

It would be much easier to find a player in the draft/FA to replace #1, than it would be to find a player in the draft/FA to replace #2.

Whereas most DTs like #2 would be gone in rounds 1-2, you can still find a lot of DTs like #1 in the later rounds.

Branch was a nice, consistent player, but it won't be too hard to replace him.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Darth Vader Nooooo

Now I have to change my Avatar!!!!!!

So long Alan, you'll be missed. :cry: :cry: :cry:

nwgamer

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1iyxkbt8 said:
Rat":1iyxkbt8 said:
jlwaters1":1iyxkbt8 said:
I don't get all the Branch love. He was an ok player. But for a guy who specializes in run-stopping, he wasn't much of a factor when the run defense went down the tube the 2nd half of the year. Add to that he's completely worthless in terms of pass rushing. We certainly needed to find an upgrade for his spot. So I'm not sorry to see him go.
Nobody is saying he's some All-Pro or anything like that. He plays what appears to currently be our weakest position, and an "ok player" is much better than anything else that's out there right now, and most likely better (for next season anyway) than anything we could land in the mid-rounds of the draft.

Losing him is very unlikely to be the ultimate difference in how far this team goes next season, but with how our DT group currently looks, I think keeping him would have been much better than not.

I don't agree. you can find run stuffers in this year's draft. It's not exactly a rare skillset to find. I don't think his value to this team was equivalent to 3million + . Furthermore, looking ahead to this coming year, pass rushing will be more important than run stuffing, IMO . The reason I say this is, let's suppose that RW and the offense take a step forward from where it left off last year and hits the ground running to start the season.

Than there's a very good chance this defense will be playing with a lead in the majority of the games (as opposed to last year were most of the first 8 games where tight affairs.). Which in turn will force opponents to abandon (or severly limit) their running game to keep up. Therefore, we'll have more teams passing on us than ever before. So it behooves us to tool up for a robust pass rush, even if that means sacrificing a little against the run.

Completely agree. Besides, I thought I heard Bennet was a stud run stuffer as well as pass rush. He could be seeing a lot of Branch's snaps as well as taking Jone's snaps.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I hate this. To me, Branch was a below-average starter who was getting ready for a big year. At times, especially early last year - he flashed dominance. Even in his pass rush! I think his best FB is ahead of him, and I am sorry that those years will not be with us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can't keep everyone, it's part of the NFL, turnover is gonna' happen. Of course, at 3 mil, it would have been nice to keep him. Oh well, they know what they're doing.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
No one seems to be mentioning the fact that Gus and the Jaguars also apparently passed on Branch at $3 million. Telling, especially since they have about a gajillion dollars of cap space.

nwgamer

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1rmd93nf said:
No one seems to be mentioning the fact that Gus and the Jaguars also apparently passed on Branch at $3 million. Telling, especially since they have about a gajillion dollars of cap space.

Good point.