Aprés Flynn, Abraham?

kidhawk

Reaction score
bloodkingg":2vc845lm said:
kidhawk":2vc845lm said:
bloodkingg":2vc845lm said:
Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

The cap figure each year is set by the NFL. When a team rolls over money, it is only on the books for that particular season. Now if they have leftover again, they can re-roll that money over to the following year, so in essence, it's always there, but only if we don't spend it.

Sidenote, I do not know if there is a limit on rolling money in the CBA. It's currently allowed but I don't know if that continues through the entire 10 year CBA or if it has a termination date. I haven't heard of a termination date for doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

Makes sense. Thanks. So if we save this money for Sherman next year, then we're really going all in next year because after that we won't have any money to rollover and will have to release a certain amount of money to get back under the cap.

I like the crew we have now, don't think we need more necessarily. Can make a run for the super bowl this year, then pay our guys, go for it again, then at that point it's in JS's hands. Presumably trying to get younger and cheaper while not compromising talent.

Also, don't forget, as veterans age and we draft younger talent, that younger talent will be paid on a much lower scale to replace the older vets, so that cycles back space on the cap for teams who can draft well. This is why we are in such great shape right now. We've been able to draft a ton of starters and that's keeping our cap in good shape. If we can continue to do that, we should continue to keep good cap value over the coming years.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
two dog":23ubvw4b said:
Hawkfan77":23ubvw4b said:
bellingerga":23ubvw4b said:
I hope we dont resign Kam like everyone is saying.
How come?

Agreed. How come? Why would we not want Kam?
If you're extending the 2011 version of Kam, it's a no-brainer... extend him.

If you're extending the 2012 version, the thinking that I've seen expressed here is... draft his replacement now and develop him this year... and let Kam go into FA after this season... especially considering that we've got to extend Sherm, Earl, and Russell not too far down the road.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Look. I see it like this. If JS can squeeze Abraham in then so be it. We are going to want all the pass rush we can get this season. One year deal. No prob. See who is worthy of a new contract in the offseason. No harm in that. Someone is likely to not be as great as we would have hoped this year and they will be gone. We keep the better of the bunch. Pretty simple really. We will have plenty of space to sign and extend.

McG

Reaction score
What about the OL? Am I the only one that thinks we still need some depth or better starting quality on the OL, mainly at RT/RG? I hope the draft is kind to us when it comes to some OL help.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think signing a Bennett with a torn rotator cuff is assurance on the D-Line and I want Abraham.

Get it DONE.

nwgamer

Reaction score
McG":xwavhav9 said:
What about the OL? Am I the only one that thinks we still need some depth or better starting quality on the OL, mainly at RT/RG? I hope the draft is kind to us when it comes to some OL help.

I do believe this will get addressed in the draft. Cable will coach us up a stud (or 2) to compete with Giacomini. Just watch.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
kidhawk":385zc676 said:
bloodkingg":385zc676 said:
Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

The cap figure each year is set by the NFL. When a team rolls over money, it is only on the books for that particular season. Now if they have leftover again, they can re-roll that money over to the following year, so in essence, it's always there, but only if we don't spend it.

Sidenote, I do not know if there is a limit on rolling money in the CBA. It's currently allowed but I don't know if that continues through the entire 10 year CBA or if it has a termination date. I haven't heard of a termination date for doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

There is a limit, there is a penalty applied by the NFL if 90% of your available cap space is not used.

Oh never mind didn't have my glasses so read the question wrong.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
No. I agree with other posts. We have some veterans and the draft is deep for DTs.
Roll the money over and develop some rookies.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
If I understand it right. This year we only save $3.200,000. Next year is where the Seahawks really save. So I think the Seahawks are done signing players this year. We have enough DE anyway. What we need are DTs. Look to the draft for that need.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
John Abraham and Urlacher seem like after the draft type guys at this point. If we can upgrade their positions in the draft then we go that route. If the draft doesnt fall that way, then we give these guys a call and offer a 1 year contract.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1x35mhu4 said:
If you're extending the 2011 version of Kam, it's a no-brainer... extend him.

If you're extending the 2012 version, the thinking that I've seen expressed here is... draft his replacement now and develop him this year... and let Kam go into FA after this season... especially considering that we've got to extend Sherm, Earl, and Russell not too far down the road.
The 2012 version played through a pretty bad foot injury and played pretty dang well at that.

Latest posts