VY for Backup? (Reported Seahawks Interest)

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Bumping this up, and the other VY threads should be merged, somewhere. There's a report Seahawks have interest.

Winterfell

Reaction score
My thinking is that there's no question that Vince Young has a lot of talent, and is a physical specimen with protypical size, cannon arm, and able to scramble.

The knocks against him are his decision-making, mental makeup, and football IQ.

As long as we offer him a deal that is incentive-laden and protects our organization financially, I say why not? Our organization has shown that we've been able to stabilize the careers and promote success from players of troubled backgrounds/reputations. Pete Carroll has a way of connecting with, and encouraging, players that most traditional coaches deem "unworkable." From Mike Williams, to LenDale White, to Marshawn Lynch and Percy Harvin, I think if anyone can get the most out of Vince Young, it would be Pete Carroll.

His football IQ, reading defenses, going through progressions, can all be improved with good coaching, and Vince Young would have time behind Russell Wilson to be coached by the Seahawks staff, influenced by Russell Wilson, and learn our schemes.

I know Vince Young has "dropped the ball" and made mistakes in the past that really messed with his NFL career, but the Seattle Seahawks have been well-rewarded for giving players a second chance. There's no question adding Vince Young adds dynamic talent to our team. The real question is whether we'll be able to work with him and make him work for our team.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
You know how bad this would be??? Washington has by far the highest suicide rate in the country, and Vince Young is going to live here 8 months out of the year? He would be signing his life away the moment he signed his contract

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
Good frames, bad lenses.

Maybe bring him in for camp and see but have a competitive back up situation with another.

No brain there but maybe Pete can make him a viable backup.

I'd vote no if it were up to me.

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
He can emulate running QBs in practice (considering he's faster/better runner than even RW), make any throw you ask of him and can be gameplanned for. NO we don't run Russel Wilson AKA future peyton manning 2.0 offense with him but he can SURE AS HELL run an option, throw it deep and hand it off. What the hell more do you guys want for a cheap backup?

No he's not a elite QB at reading defenses, that's something that can come with age and maturity (study habbits etc.). I think it's safe to say he has more god given talent than RW, if we could get him studying and gameplan around his inadequacies he can win 2 games.