49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:11 pm
  • NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL

BREAKING: The 49ers have reached an agreement on a 1 yr deal with former Eagles and Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha (via @AdamSchefter)
    birdman5
    NET Rookie

Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:12 pm
  • Good signing...four years ago
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 pm
  • We'll find out if it was Philly that caused his decline or if he's still the nasty corner that we faced in Oakland.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 pm
  • Good DB in press, but he has definitely lost a step and not very good if he is not in press coverage.
    Last edited by fridayfrenzy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:15 pm
  • Good depth signing, not sure he is an elite corner anymore.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 pm
  • The old get older.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:17 pm
  • Kind of over rated player. Not worrisome in any way, shape, or form.

Good depth for the 9ers, and that's it.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 pm
  • So what.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:20 pm
  • Actually, it's not fair to criticize SF for this. I would have been happy to have Nnaammddii (sp?) in SEA if there was a significant need at the position. Like, if we were really, really desperate and the only other option was Carlos Rogers. Where did that guy end up, anyway?
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm
  • I'm going to laugh when Wilson burns him. He did nothing in Philly, and I doubt the 49ers are going to play him the exact same way Oakland did. Plus, Oakland had an absolute nobody at the other CB position, so even being a decent CB would have greatly reduced his targets. I may have to go post on the 49ers Web Zone with his Pro Football Focus stats.

LOL, Nnamdi Asomugah ranked 101st out of the 113 CBs to see at least 25% of snaps last year in the NFL. That is not just bad, that is horrible. For pass coverage specifically, he's 103rd. Pathetic.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm
  • I have to admit ots a good signing from what I have seen. On the cheap, cheap. Why not?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

NNamdi the new 9er CB
Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:27 pm
  • Just seen on NFL. com he signed with the 9ers i think its good for the seahawks becuase i'm a michael Vick n shady McCoy fan so i watched when the eagles played the last few years(dream team lol). All i seen of NNamdi is he does'nt like to tackle he does'nt like contact so put him on to the field against Lynch and let him go beast mode so we can get back on the richter scale against the 9ers during prime time. But everyone will probably praise the 9ers for a good move or somthing stupid but i see NNamdi as a weak link in the chain.
    Lynch Mob
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:31 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Why not?

I'll repeat: he ranked 101st overall out of CBs in the NFL last year. If you're signing him as a starter...Yeesh.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Why not?

I'll repeat: he ranked 101st overall out of CBs in the NFL last year. If you're signing him as a starter...Yeesh.

Its okay because according to those same stats, we have nfls #1 corner in chris culliver. :)
    FriscosFinest
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 pm
  • Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m
    Nnamdi's deal would max out at $3M with the 49ers ... of course, he is getting paid $4M by the Eagles just not to be there anymore

Heh.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 pm
  • FriscosFinest wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Its okay because according to those same stats, we have nfls #1 corner in chris culliver. :)

Enough said. Chris Culliver is horrible and Carlos Rodgers is almost horrible. I bet Asomugha is still better than both..
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm
  • AdamSchefter profile

AdamSchefter CB Nnamdi Asomugha is signing a 1-yr deal with 49ers worth $1.35 million in base salary, but get this: He didn't want ANY guaranteed money.
    seahawksflow
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:48 pm
  • FriscosFinest wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Huh? Culliver's ranked 29th overall, 21st in pass coverage per Pro Football Focus. I'm seriously wondering about your ability to read basic stats.

There's the whole list. Richard Sherman, by the way, ranked 2nd overall and 1st - by a LARGE margin - in pass coverage. Nobody else even hit the 20s for pass coverage, but he was rated 26.4.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:51 pm
  • Wait, they actually have a DB worth mentioning?

Harvin still has his way with those corners, even with this signing.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:51 pm
  • How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.

Look at his ranking and overall performance for 2012.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.

Look at his ranking and overall performance for 2012.

I see your post now and understand.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:57 pm
  • birdman5 wrote:NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL

BREAKING: The 49ers have reached an agreement on a 1 yr deal with former Eagles and Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha (via @AdamSchefter)

It's a move out of desperation for the Whiners, he is washed up and won't be effective at all in my opinion. Nothing to see here.
    SeattleSprtsHub
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm going to laugh when Wilson burns him. He did nothing in Philly, and I doubt the 49ers are going to play him the exact same way Oakland did. Plus, Oakland had an absolute nobody at the other CB position, so even being a decent CB would have greatly reduced his targets. I may have to go post on the 49ers Web Zone with his Pro Football Focus stats.

LOL, Nnamdi Asomugah ranked 101st out of the 113 CBs to see at least 25% of snaps last year in the NFL. That is not just bad, that is horrible. For pass coverage specifically, he's 103rd. Pathetic.

I'm just going off memory but I thought I saw 14TD's against him last year. Please let him play zone coverage in SF.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm
  • He'll be 32 when the season starts, makes sense, the whiners are loading up on the over the hill vets.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:08 pm
  • XxxZagnutxxX wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'm going to laugh when Wilson burns him. He did nothing in Philly, and I doubt the 49ers are going to play him the exact same way Oakland did. Plus, Oakland had an absolute nobody at the other CB position, so even being a decent CB would have greatly reduced his targets. I may have to go post on the 49ers Web Zone with his Pro Football Focus stats.

I'm just going off memory but I thought I saw 14TD's against him last year. Please let him play zone coverage in SF.

PFF has him giving up 5. (3 for Sherman.) PFF analyzes all plays on their own, though. For DBs, there are plenty of times where they appear to give up a TD but it wasn't necessarily their fault; compensating for someone else's zone coverage fail, or what have you. It's not a great stat for tracking CBs, honestly.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 pm
  • Also, Sherman allowed 44.4% of passes thrown his way to be caught. Asomugah allowed 66.7%. That's a pretty gigantic discrepancy.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:11 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Also, Sherman allowed 44.4% of passes thrown his way to be caught. Asomugah allowed 66.7%. That's a pretty gigantic discrepancy.

Not really. In one game that could be a half a catch. I hate football stats.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm
  • Asomugha is SO 2009...

Whatever.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:23 pm
  • It bothers me that the last half of his name is pronounced the same way as a smooch. Like, Mmmm-wah.

His name is Ass-mmmm-wah. Ass-kisser.

Wait a sec...

Nnnn-om-Dee...Nnnnn-om-the...And-om-the...And-I'm-The...

Ass-kisser.

And I'm The Ass-kisser. It all makes sense now.
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 pm
  • As much as a hate the 9ers this is a brillant signing. for 1.35 m plus another 1.35 in incentives.
    The dude was Dominant as an Oakland Raider. and the Raiders as we all know are horrible. Yet I argued that he was better then Revis two years ago because he was that good.
    Then scheme change and move to the east coast doomed this guy as he was one of the worst corners in the league.

now he is joining an already reall good 49ers defense , I expect this guy to bounce back big time.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:29 pm
  • Here's an easy way to solve this. If we signed Nnamdi for 1.35 mil no guarantee would you be happy? Yes you would. So that means this bad for us and a good move by SF. It happens. If you didn't want him here for 1.35 million your crazy.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Here's an easy way to solve this. If we signed Nnamdi for 1.35 mil no guarantee would you be happy? Yes you would. So that means this bad for us and a good move by SF. It happens. If you didn't want him here for 1.35 million your crazy.

He sounds like he has quite a chip on his shoulder considering reports say he requested to not have guaranteed money.
    seahawksflow
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Huh? Culliver's ranked 29th overall, 21st in pass coverage per Pro Football Focus. I'm seriously wondering about your ability to read basic stats.

There's the whole list. Richard Sherman, by the way, ranked 2nd overall and 1st - by a LARGE margin - in pass coverage. Nobody else even hit the 20s for pass coverage, but he was rated 26.4.

What amazes me is Antoine Winfield being ranked #1 overall. I knew he was an excellent run-stopper and tackler at CB, but didn't realize he'd be well-rounded enough overall to be #1, especially at his age.

That would be AWESOME if due to his age and the market for FAs, we were able to sign Antoine Winfield to a similar deal to what the 49ers gave to Asomugha. He sounds like he'd make a BEASTLY slot CB for us on a one year, incentives-laden deal, and improve our run defense.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Here's an easy way to solve this. If we signed Nnamdi for 1.35 mil no guarantee would you be happy? Yes you would. So that means this bad for us and a good move by SF. It happens. If you didn't want him here for 1.35 million your crazy.

Every CB on our roster ranks significantly higher than him. I would not like him even for veteran minimum after seeing his stats, but you probably won't believe me.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:41 pm
  • I think this is a depth signing like many have stated on here.. unless he does great in training camp, Culliver did horrible in the super bowl so this will be good competition. i find it interesting about the no guaranteed money. I think any team in the NFL would take a shot at this guy for that chump change... unless your jerry jones damn idiot spent 100+ million on a sh*tty QB.
    kag0331
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:43 pm
  • I think it is a good signing for the 49ers at 1.35 million...

Anyways, in a response to Roland over at the niner boards I had to laugh because one of them stated "Us 49er fans have been watching football too, believe it or not, over the last two years; we have not been encased in ice, or comatose. We are well aware of what happened to Asomugha and the Eagles over the last two seasons".

Sounds about right because there wasn't a single damn niner fan to be found three years ago.

Clearly he was talking about the Eagles Asomugha signing, but it was poorly worded and in a way true. I don't think many niner fans were paying attention up until recently.

Also I think you hurt their feelings, Roland..
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:51 pm
  • He could cost them ZERO if he doesn't make the cut... amazing signing with absolutely no risk.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:55 pm
  • Roland, you got banned for providing useful information? lol
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:56 pm
  • He's basically the same age as Trufant and was significantly worse than him statistically.

Insignificant pick up.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:57 pm
  • Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.
    Attachments
    49erswebzone_banned.PNG
    49erswebzone_banned.PNG (23.77 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:04 pm
  • Good depth signing for basically nothing. By all accounts he was misused terribly in Philly by an OL coach posing as D coordinator.

The Niners will use him correctly, as we possess one of the best staffs in football.

He won't be Oakland Raiders Nnamdi anymore most likely, as he's older now and probably has lost a step or two. However I think you'll see him perform somewhere in the middle, ie an acceptable starter/great backup. Especially with two healthy Smiths rushing the passer.
    heyu123
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm
  • heyu123 wrote:Good depth signing for basically nothing. By all accounts he was misused terribly in Philly by an OL coach posing as D coordinator.

The Niners will use him correctly, as we possess one of the best staffs in football.

He won't be Oakland Raiders Nnamdi anymore most likely, as he's older now and probably has lost a step or two. However I think you'll see him perform somewhere in the middle, ie an acceptable starter/great backup. Especially with two healthy Smiths rushing the passer.

If he reverts close to his form back from his Oakland days, you guys will have had a great steal. If he doesn't, your financial commitment to his is basically zero, so congrats on that.

Although your team will have to watch out for his effect on the locker room. I've read reports on NFL.com of him being a bit detached and cold towards his past teammates, eating lunch separately, stopping teammates in mid-sentence to say he didn't want to talk with them anymore, etc.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:24 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:LOL, Nnamdi Asomugah ranked 101st out of the 113 CBs to see at least 25% of snaps last year in the NFL. That is not just bad, that is horrible. For pass coverage specifically, he's 103rd. Pathetic.

It's bad when the 3 corners we had on our roster last year (Greer, Robinson and White) and our new addition (Lewis) all ranked higher than Nnamdi when we had the same problem, man-corners in a zone scheme. :lol:

RolandDeschain wrote:Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.

LOL, I seen that! I was going to add you on there and share my greetings (in addition to maybe trolling a little :stirthepot: ) but I went to your profile and you were banned. LOL. :lol:
    :les: Image :les:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:36 pm
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:As much as a hate the 9ers this is a brillant signing. for 1.35 m plus another 1.35 in incentives.
    The dude was Dominant as an Oakland Raider. and the Raiders as we all know are horrible. Yet I argued that he was better then Revis two years ago because he was that good.
    Then scheme change and move to the east coast doomed this guy as he was one of the worst corners in the league.

now he is joining an already reall good 49ers defense , I expect this guy to bounce back big time.

The scheme change is overblown, when Castillo got fired the Eagles moved back to a man to man defense and Nnamdi still struggled. He is what he is, a decent but not great corner.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:42 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Roland, you got banned for providing useful information? lol

Explains his still-active status here...
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:42 pm
  • First thoughts were - he's past it. Then I saw the terms of the deal. If he sucks when he comes in, they cut him - no loss. If he's anywhere near his best - what a steal. I hate to say it but they've got a nice, nice deal.

Not our sort of player, so I'm not too gutted we didn't try to get him.
    sjbravo
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Watch me get flamed/called many names/banned:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... 5/#post217

Took em only 4 posts to bring up "adderal", LMAO!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:51 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.

They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...
    757Niner
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information