Christian Ponder

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
I have a buddy who is a huge Vikes fan and occasionally asks me what I think about Christian Ponder due to me following the draft as much as I do and all the offseason scouting stuff and because I like to look into other teams moves and drafts not just the Seahawks.He likes to see the good in Ponder,im a bit more skeptical since I follow the draft a bunch.Never was enthralled by him,he was smart according to my buddy because he graduated early yadda yadda yadda,I don't think he's super football smart occasionally making good plays but not with regularity.Im more curious to hear from you who might follow the Vikings or guys like Kearly,Rob,ect those who watch tape on a regular basis and know the ins and outs of the position much deeper than I do.

On a side note if Ponder can be picked as high as 12 I think Barkley is twice the prospect than Ponder ever was,heck hes better than Weeden,Osweiler,Dalton in my opinion.

mikeak

Reaction score
Put pressure on Ponder and bad decisions follow

To much time and he puts that pressure on himself and misses open receivers

Look at last season and wonder how you can have AP on that team and not do better passing - answer is Ponder.

I watched him in the ACC and like many who do knew that he is no long term qb in the NFL. If he was in the Jets or browns he would be viewed as the worst qb in the league but the rest if the team carried him. He has some physical tools but that is all

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
This is probably Ponders last year as a viking, and once AP has a down year or gets injured again they will end up replacing him with a top QB in the draft. As for Barkely i really doubt he makes it past the eighth pick, teams with bad management usually ends up picking high (or low, depending on how u look at it...) in the draft and someone will reach for him

pinksheets

Reaction score
The list of QBs in this draft I'd rather have Ponder than is less than the flipside. The Vikes need to draft a guy in round 2-4 or expect another housecleaning.

kearly

Reaction score
I never actually scouted Ponder, but what I remember of him was that he had a very interesting 2009 season (though he had just 14 TDs that year), and was a pile of crap the rest of the time (including his final college season in 2010).

For the most part, he's been the same guy in the pros. Low yards per attempt, low touchdowns, sub-mediocre efficiency stats. He's a decent backup that's posing as a franchise quarterback. On the field, he's not dissimilar to 2008-2012 Matt Hasselbeck. Minnesota needs to stop burying their head in the sand. If Minnesota misses the playoffs next year they need to take advantage of a strong QB class at the top and replace Ponder.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
His stat line vs us? 11 of 22, 63 yards. When he lost his efficiency padder, Ponder, it was apparent how bad he can be. To his credit, slightly, and to quote Strap, his receivers suck.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2qs8ta6l said:
His stat line vs us? 11 of 22, 63 yards. When he lost his efficiency padder, Ponder, it was apparent how bad he can be. To his credit, slightly, and to quote Strap, his receivers suck.

How dare you malign Michael Jenkins.