Palmer traded to AZ for two donuts and a soda

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13

• If I understood correctly Oakland asked him to restructure and he wouldn't. That's crazy a guy that was so cheap in compesation will make so much.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• The Oakland Raiders, turning a 2012 first round pick and 2013 second round pick into a 2014 conditional 7th round pick since 2013.

Go black!
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• Man that is stupid. Everybody knows you drink coffee with donuts, not soda.

:229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Man that is stupid. Everybody knows you drink coffee with donuts, not soda.

:229031_shrug:

Everyone but the Raiders
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• beautiful! Earl Thomas and Sherm are gonna put this cry baby in his place 2 times a year.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I think he is washed up. Glad Pete Carroll didn't trade for him a couple years ago.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• in perspective I guess we received pretty good compensation for Flynn compared to what Oakland and Cleveland got for Palmer and Mc Coy,...
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

• I think he hasn't recovered the strenght from his injury and his mind doesn't realize it. Remember Peyton's game against Atlanta last year? Threw a bunch of picks and it seemed like partially because the arm simply wasn't there. Either Peyton built that up last year or changed his mind to understand what he can and what he can't do (didn't watch him enough to tell).

Point being I don't think Palmer has figured that out and I expect Sherman to have a field day going up against Palmer. I think he will allow space to be created on purpose and just wait for Palmer to put up the underthrown ball that he can pick off

I am excited about this!
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Good deal for the Cards; he's not what he used to be, and won't put them in the Super Bowl, but he's way better than anything else they were going to get. He's a live body with an arm still big enough to get the ball to Larry Fitzgerald.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Hawksfanatik wrote:I think he is washed up. Glad Pete Carroll didn't trade for him a couple years ago.

I don't know if I agree necessarily. Sure, he isn't what he used to be, but he isn't washed up.

Carson Palmer compiled 4,000 passing yards last season on an abysmal Raider's team who was missing Darren McFadden most the year. He also had 22TD to 14INT with a respectable 61% completion percentage.

I think this is a reasonable upgrade for Arizona, especially over Skelton and Kolb. While Palmer lacks mobility, he has the arm strength to rifle the ball to Larry Fitszgerald. That, along with Arizona's defense should make them a few games better in my opinion.
    LoneWolf
    NET Bench Warmer

• I honestly was kinda hoping that the Hawks would have been able to work out a deal to get him as a backup. Though I don't think he would have agreed to come since there's not a snowball's chance in hell of him starting which is what he wants.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

• How did the Raiders let him go for that little? Geez. This off-season has seen some retarded trades. Significant overpayment for Alex Smith, and considerable underpayment for Carson Palmer.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• he will give the cards something they didnt have last year. A chance to win and an acutal NFL caliber QB.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• He has already been named the starter. So much for henson.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Chukarhawk wrote:he will give the cards something they didnt have last year. A chance to win and an acutal NFL caliber QB.

Not without a major O-line upgrade, he won't.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• This is a huge upgrade for Arizona. And it's also the perfect setup to start them out right and then crash and burn when he gets trampled and hurt about week six.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Arizona just made another bad decision.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• I honestly think this makes the Cards more competitive, and the NFC West that much stronger.

If the Cards can find a solid O-lineman in FA and draft a few studs in the early rounds of the draft...watch out.

I'm not saying they'll be better than us, the 49ers, or the Rams, but they won't make it easy, and they'll probably be a lot stronger than most #4 teams in other divisions.

The Cards last year had a good defense, good STs, and good skill position players but their weakness was poor QB play, poor running game, and poor O-line. If you were able to improve all 3 of those weaknesses to "merely" league average, I think you'll see a drastically improved team.

Carson Palmer might revive them in a way similar to, but not in the same degree, that Kurt Warner did in the mid to late 2000s. They're both immobile and statue-like pocket passers but both had good accuracy, touch, and good deep balls.

I'm just saying, don't underestimate the effect of bringing in improved QB play to a team. Russell Wilson made a HUGE difference for us between this season and last season, and although Palmer isn't on par with Wilson, I think he'll influence the Cards positively.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

• Arizona is our equivalent of Oakland. They deserve each other.
    Babsmack
    NET Bench Warmer

• Winterfell wrote:I honestly think this makes the Cards more competitive, and the NFC West that much stronger.

If the Cards can find a solid O-lineman in FA and draft a few studs in the early rounds of the draft...watch out.

I'm not saying they'll be better than us, the 49ers, or the Rams, but they won't make it easy, and they'll probably be a lot stronger than most #4 teams in other divisions.

The Cards last year had a good defense, good STs, and good skill position players but their weakness was poor QB play, poor running game, and poor O-line. If you were able to improve all 3 of those weaknesses to "merely" league average, I think you'll see a drastically improved team.

Carson Palmer might revive them in a way similar to, but not in the same degree, that Kurt Warner did in the mid to late 2000s. They're both immobile and statue-like pocket passers but both had good accuracy, touch, and good deep balls.

I'm just saying, don't underestimate the effect of bringing in improved QB play to a team. Russell Wilson made a HUGE difference for us between this season and last season, and although Palmer isn't on par with Wilson, I think he'll influence the Cards positively.

:177692:
    Babsmack
    NET Bench Warmer

• I think this makes the Cards better than the Rams.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• JesterHawk wrote:The Oakland Raiders, turning a 2012 first round pick and 2013 second round pick into a 2014 conditional 7th round pick since 2013.

Go black!

LOL! This brings to mind that exceptional phrase "But that's just what they would be expecting us to do!"

And the other phrase "He's alive! He's alive! " followed by Oingo Boingo singing "Wierd Science" with undead Al playing the part of a dancing skeleton!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Throwdown wrote:beautiful! Earl Thomas and Sherm are gonna put this cry baby in his place 2 times a year.

This. Palmer is an INT juggs machine. :0190l:
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:This is a huge upgrade for Arizona. And it's also the perfect setup to start them out right and then crash and burn when he gets trampled and hurt about week six.

Exactly. The last uber quick decision maker in Arizona thrived with Fitz, so will Palmer. Until he gets smashed. Let's not undersell Bruce Arians either, he will do good things with Palmer. No matter the condition of Palmer's arm.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:This is a huge upgrade for Arizona. And it's also the perfect setup to start them out right and then crash and burn .

Didn't they do that last year too?
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I'm still wondering why any QB would voluntarily go to a team that had to play our defense twice a year. Heck, even Flynn was smart enough to go outside the conference.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:I'm still wondering why any QB would voluntarily go to a team that had to play our defense twice a year. Heck, even Flynn was smart enough to go outside the conference.

Smart enough? We traded him. He didn't get to choose.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:I'm still wondering why any QB would voluntarily go to a team that had to play our defense twice a year. Heck, even Flynn was smart enough to go outside the conference.

It was my understanding he got to choose, I guess not then.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:I'm still wondering why any QB would voluntarily go to a team that had to play our defense twice a year. Heck, even Flynn was smart enough to go outside the conference.

Who would WANT to go to the Raiders? :lol:
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• SE174 wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:[quote="OkieHawk"]I'm still wondering why any QB would voluntarily go to a team that had to play our defense twice a year. Heck, even Flynn was smart enough to go outside the conference.

Who would WANT to go to the Raiders? :lol:[/quote]

Not many places he has a chance to start, so there is that.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:I think this makes the Cards better than the Rams.

Only if they get the 06 version of Palmer. But if the get the guy who we have seen the late 2-3 years, this isn't a very significant move IMHO.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Wow, how soon we forget. Going into last season the Cards were a team to be respected. They had an excellent defense and were going to challenge for at least a wild card spot. Then it became apparent they simply had NO QB and nobody in the NFL can win without one. Their defense remains elite, even if we put up 50+ on them, they rolled over and quit that game. Now they have a QB who last year threw for 4000 yards. He's going to turn that franchise around and they'll be contenders once again. 9-7 is not out of the question. Add to that they face a 4th place schedule and they'll beat some patsies. this dvision just got a whole lot tougher.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:Wow, how soon we forget. Going into last season the Cards were a team to be respected. They had an excellent defense and were going to challenge for at least a wild card spot. Then it became apparent they simply had NO QB and nobody in the NFL can win without one. Their defense remains elite, even if we put up 50+ on them, they rolled over and quit that game. Now they have a QB who last year threw for 4000 yards. He's going to turn that franchise around and they'll be contenders once again. 9-7 is not out of the question. Add to that they face a 4th place schedule and they'll beat some patsies. this dvision just got a whole lot tougher.

They lost Ray Horton due to Arians ego.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:Wow, how soon we forget. Going into last season the Cards were a team to be respected. They had an excellent defense and were going to challenge for at least a wild card spot. Then it became apparent they simply had NO QB and nobody in the NFL can win without one. Their defense remains elite, even if we put up 50+ on them, they rolled over and quit that game. Now they have a QB who last year threw for 4000 yards. He's going to turn that franchise around and they'll be contenders once again. 9-7 is not out of the question. Add to that they face a 4th place schedule and they'll beat some patsies. this dvision just got a whole lot tougher.

They lost Ray Horton due to Arians ego.

They are also completely revamping their secondary. Only Rashad Johnson and Patrick Peterson will be back. I will be glad never to have to face Adrian Wilson again. Also, calling a defense elite when they finished middle of the pack in almost every category is a bit of a stretch.
    FIRE CABLE! 7 Home Games 12 False Starts By Linemen Lack Of Discipline
    BASF
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information