Let's Talk Mariners

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Atradees":38sqm7jp said:
Jazzhawk":38sqm7jp said:
Atradees":38sqm7jp said:
I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.
That's a good thing then, since he's not the #2, Iwakuma is. Beavan is currently the #5.

As for the bats tonight, I never fail to marvel at the fact that everyone discounts the A's starter. King Felix was our opening night starter for a reason; he's our best pitcher. Anderson is the A's current best starter, and he was no slouch at all. Tonight's batting results were much more about Anderson being a pretty damned good pitcher than it was about our bats being no good.

Beaven, Furbush and the #2 Iwakuma. Pretty much suck. (OR- I didn't risk spelling his name)
Ya, I'm not saying you are wrong with the last comment, just clarifying the first one. Tho Furbush is a reliever. At least he was last night. While I don't know how good or bad they'll be, I actually like Iwakuma and Beavan, tho the latter has an uncanny ability to Vargus up a good start too much (give up a big inning).

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1chyemc9 said:
Atradees":1chyemc9 said:
I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.
That's a good thing then, since he's not the #2, Iwakuma is. Beavan is currently the #5.

As for the bats tonight, I never fail to marvel at the fact that everyone discounts the A's starter. King Felix was our opening night starter for a reason; he's our best pitcher. Anderson is the A's current best starter, and he was no slouch at all. Tonight's batting results were much more about Anderson being a pretty damned good pitcher than it was about our bats being no good.
I was gonna say it if you didn't. This was their #1 vs our #1.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
hawker84":2u7wjlem said:
apparently you're not allowed to have negative comments about the mariners in this particular thread, so i say this.. i hope they can continue with the wins... recent history has shown they start out hot and fade fast.. let's hope that's a trend that ended last season. i'll give their bats a pass in this game, Anderson is one hell of a pitcher and always does well against us...

That's my biggest fear, and the reason why it's hard for me to jump on the M's bandwagon with both feet. Show me you've turned things around and start winning for reals, and I'll mostly forgive you for all the posturing and stampy feet over the Sonics arena.

Shaz

Reaction score
I'll be negative about the Mariners right now:

Get rid of Smoak, he's not going to pan out, cut your losses

The Outfield

Reaction score
God, Oakland fans are annoying. Constantly tooting horns and yelling "Let's go Oak-land!"

smashmouth59

Reaction score
We have some serious power this year. It's nice to see our better hitters from last year moved to the back or middle of the order to make room for Moris, Morales, and others. Moris is killing it tonight!

The Outfield

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1dr5m21a said:
They do always start off well, don't they?

It might seem like it, but here are the records for the first 10 games of the last 5 seasons:

2012: 5-5 (finished 75-87)
2011: 3-7 (finished 67-95)
2010: 4-6 (finished 61-101)
2009: 7-3 (finished 85-77)
2008: 4-6 (finished 61-101)

With the exception of 2009 (the only winning season), the records are certainly nothing to write home about.

And just for kicks, here are the records for the first 2 games:

2012: 1-1
2011: 2-0
2010: 1-1
2009: 1-1
2008: 1-1

Tattooedseahawk

Reaction score
The Outfield":1dob6v3t said:
God, Oakland fans are annoying. Constantly tooting horns and yelling "Let's go Oak-land!"

yeah, it really sucks that they try their best to support their club. Damn them!! :thirishdrinkers: :shock:

Tattooedseahawk

Reaction score
I was curious getting to see them all over the central valley here in Arizona during spring training if any of their success down here would transfer into the regular season.

Granted, it is only two games against one team but some of the things look decent already. It will be interesting to see what might continue over as more time passes by.

Tattooedseahawk

Reaction score
I was a little surprised about all the hitting last night. The first week or so of the season is usually not the time to gauge one's hitting as everyone is usually lining up against the other team's top pitchers.

m0ng0

Reaction score
UNDEFEATED !!! :thirishdrinkers:

They seem to be much more patient at the plate........so far

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Shaz":12yiuswl said:
I'll be negative about the Mariners right now:

Get rid of Smoak, he's not going to pan out, cut your losses

He gets a month, maybe two.

He does have 4 walks in two games, plus a couple hits. not a bad start.

But yeah, he needs to show his improvement early

Seaman

Reaction score
The Outfield":2at92kvq said:
Good old Dave Sims... "Here comes Oliver Pear-ez"

Gotta love Sims! I still remember the first time he really got into the King's Court night. Sims: "And the fans are chanting K-K-K". There was a pause, then laughter from the whole announcers box. The guy makes it fun to listen to!

Oh, and GO M's!

Latest posts