Mock with reaches/ picks that might surprise you

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hopefully this does some justice to the subject title given. My first ever posted Mock draft in 35+ years of looking ahead to the draft and scribbling countless names.

I'm going to assume most will be familiar enough with these players and/or have their preferred sites and scouting info. So, I won't get into all that. But, perhaps just give you some comments that justify the selection.

2. Tyrann Mathieu DB formerly of LSU
for all the potential pros and cons... I can't think of a potentially bigger impact player at this spot that could serve the team needs well. I know this is a polarizing player and a hugely controversial pick... but, I think it's a potential "championship" type move. In nearly 40 years of watching the draft... there's risk with every player. Take your chances sometimes. This is a player.

3. Ty Powell LB Harding
I think this guy could be a sleeper pick that won't last long. He's played DL and DB as well. Look him up. He was a combine participant and seems to have gotten some attention.

4. Michael Williams TE Alabama
(Dave Richard suggests that some team enamored with him could even take him in the 3rd round.)
This guy is just a sneaky good player, especially in the red zone. He is a lumbering TE - not the joker TE most everyone is saying we need. But, I'm thinking the Hawks already have players that are going to get the majority of the touches and a guy like this could find a role on this team and prove valuable. It's always said that the Seahawks like unconventional guys. Williams might fit that category a bit.

5. Montori Hughes DT Tenn-Martin
compete for a spot

5. Kwame Geathers DT Georgia
see what he could be

6. Jordan Rodgers QB Vanderbilt
Aaron Rodgers warms up to the Hawks

7. Chris Barker G Nevada
Only player in school history to start every game over a 4-year span. Mobility in that Nevada offense, durable, tough. Under-rated?

7. Vinston Painter T Virginia Tech
4.9 in the 40. Versatile, late-bloomer. Could be a steal. Project player with tons of potential that Cable could develop. Liked the tenacity I saw from him at the combine.

7. Jake Knott LB Iowa St.
coaches selection First Team All Big 12 (despite missing final 4 games.) Oozing with leadership. reads & reacts well and rarely takes false steps. Smart, playmaker who constantly exceeds expectations.

7. Brett Maher K Nebraska
wasn't going to mock a kicker, but the Hawks need one.

Super-Sneaky UDFA find: Latavius Murray RB UCF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2rUpbfsHgE

I could also see the Seahawks taking Gavin Escobar if available at 56. Jordan Reed just seems like he could fit right in with the Seahawks, but I didn't put him in this mock b/c I wanted to bring attention to Mathieu and Powell and don't think Reed will last beyond the 3rd. I could also see the Seahawks taking O-lineman earlier as well. Perhaps Alvin Bailey.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I like it actually. I know many on here will crucify your Mathieu pick, but your explanation is spot on. The guy is a gamer and a playmaker. Our team is in a position to handle a player like him, and if he doesn't shape up I have no doubt that Pete will show him the door. I get the feeling he is going to be a complete stud....was one of my top 3 players in the country before he got kicked off LSU.

The other two picks I'd be ecstatic for are the Geathers and Williams picks. Geathers to me right now is ridiculously underrated. I watched 3 of his games last night and the guy is a monster. Can anchor a line and is much more quick/agile than his size and combine numbers say. I actually liked him as much or maybe even a little better than his teammate Jenkins. It would not upset me to take him in the 2nd....that'show high i am on him.

Williams again is very underrated. Unreal blocker....almost like a 3rd tackle when out there. The size is an obvious mismatch and he shows good ability as a receiver. Will be a redzone nightmare for teams.

I have been meaning to watch Powell as he is a guy that has intrigued me, but gut instinct says 3 may be early. A guy I love that I watched 3 games of last night is OLB Devonte Holloman from S. Carolina. Combine numbers won't blow you away,but the kid is a stud football player on film. Great instincts, stout aagainst the run, gets off blocks, and is very natural in coverage. Don't know why he isn't being talked about more. If you plug him into that 3rd rd pick I'd be stoked for this draft.

I only gave opinions on guys I have personally watched at least 3 games on because I dont use others opionions as my own. As for the others, these are guys I will check out now.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pcbball12":20l8nvk8 said:
I like it actually. I know many on here will crucify your Mathieu pick, but your explanation is spot on. The guy is a gamer and a playmaker. Our team is in a position to handle a player like him, and if he doesn't shape up I have no doubt that Pete will show him the door. I get the feeling he is going to be a complete stud....was one of my top 3 players in the country before he got kicked off LSU.

The other two picks I'd be ecstatic for are the Geathers and Williams picks. Geathers to me right now is ridiculously underrated. I watched 3 of his games last night and the guy is a monster. Can anchor a line and is much more quick/agile than his size and combine numbers say. I actually liked him as much or maybe even a little better than his teammate Jenkins. It would not upset me to take him in the 2nd....that'show high i am on him.

Williams again is very underrated. Unreal blocker....almost like a 3rd tackle when out there. The size is an obvious mismatch and he shows good ability as a receiver. Will be a redzone nightmare for teams.

I have been meaning to watch Powell as he is a guy that has intrigued me, but gut instinct says 3 may be early. A guy I love that I watched 3 games of last night is OLB Devonte Holloman from S. Carolina. Combine numbers won't blow you away,but the kid is a stud football player on film. Great instincts, stout aagainst the run, gets off blocks, and is very natural in coverage. Don't know why he isn't being talked about more. If you plug him into that 3rd rd pick I'd be stoked for this draft.

I only gave opinions on guys I have personally watched at least 3 games on because I dont use others opionions as my own. As for the others, these are guys I will check out now.
Thanks for your kind response. I was a little apprehensive about posting a mock draft. I know it's all subjective and can feel like a fools errand b/c what we all say in here isn't going to hold weight for those doing the actual work on these prospects. But, it's a fun endeavor for those who love the strategy of the draft and put some time in getting familiar with the prospects.
Yes, I like Holloman, too. I wouldn't be displeased if he was selected. Seems like a deep draft for OLB talent. There are reports here and there that Powell is gaining attention. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzKXntDOd4 Gil Brandt is saying he could be a 4th, but seems like if the Hawks like a player... they need to draft him a round higher to be sure to get him. That had something to do with mocking him in the 3rd. But, also the other players I wanted to highlight in this mock seem more reasonable later. Yes, Geathers could be a steal. I would actually take him above Hughes, but I was more trying to stay true to where I'm seeing players projected. None of that ultimately matters during the draft b/c teams have their own boards.
I meant to mention another QB I like: Tulane's Ryan Griffin. Check him out, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaS47BFc6Yg

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Intrigued by the Jake Knott pick. I was high on him very early on in the process, as a LB who demonstrated really good coverage instincts. I kind of see him as a UDFA prospect at this point. There are things to like about him though.

One thing you might want to do, is start by kind of ranking prospects (start off with just traditional rankings). Some of these picks are really ridiculous reaches -- not unlike someone trying to mock Sheldon Richardson to us in the third round. Many times, we can become enamored with a prospect thinking that we'd need to take in early in the draft. I see this all the time with fans that do a team mock -- their 2nd and 3rd round picks are typically littered with guys that are a good 40-50 picks too soon.

Once you get a per position ranking, even if it's superficial or someone else's -- I'd invite you to do a full on mock. It may seem like a lot of work, but really you start to appreciate just where players really should go. It's hard to see that when you do a 7 round mock for a single team.

Your 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks are all day three picks, and not early ones at that. Mathieu 'might' go earlier but only in a Ruskellian fashion. You could put them in the 4th, 5a, 5b picks and they'd still be reaches.

Those 5th through 7th reach picks are interesting, although Hughes and Geathers probably aren't real reaches at 5. You could probably switch Geathers/Hughes to 2/3 and that would be a pretty solid reach draft.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1luvto1c said:
Intrigued by the Jake Knott pick. I was high on him very early on in the process, as a LB who demonstrated really good coverage instincts. I kind of see him as a UDFA prospect at this point. There are things to like about him though.

One thing you might want to do, is start by kind of ranking prospects (start off with just traditional rankings). Some of these picks are really ridiculous reaches -- not unlike someone trying to mock Sheldon Richardson to us in the third round. Many times, we can become enamored with a prospect thinking that we'd need to take in early in the draft. I see this all the time with fans that do a team mock -- their 2nd and 3rd round picks are typically littered with guys that are a good 40-50 picks too soon.

Once you get a per position ranking, even if it's superficial or someone else's -- I'd invite you to do a full on mock. It may seem like a lot of work, but really you start to appreciate just where players really should go. It's hard to see that when you do a 7 round mock for a single team.

Your 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks are all day three picks, and not early ones at that. Mathieu 'might' go earlier but only in a Ruskellian fashion. You could put them in the 4th, 5a, 5b picks and they'd still be reaches.

Those 5th through 7th reach picks are interesting, although Hughes and Geathers probably aren't real reaches at 5. You could probably switch Geathers/Hughes to 2/3 and that would be a pretty solid reach draft.
Thanks. Well, the goal wasn't to "reach" simply to reach. I did do some analysis on where players are projected and settled on one to use when mocking these players where their at. The Mathieu pick is just because it's tough to say where he is going to land. Powell is somewhat unknown at the moment, but he could rise to round 3 or 4. SF and Indy were working him out at his Pro Day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzKXntDOd4 So, based on how low the Hawks pick in the rounds... I put him in the 3rd. (Hey, it's not like the Seahawks have ever selected a player in higher rounds than anyone thought! ;) )
Like I said... I've dabbled in this for 35+ years and I've seen how players go much higher than projected and much lower. What makes me laugh is how some in here are so emphatic about where a player is going to be taken (or not taken) only to be completely wrong on draft day. So, again... one must realize all this is subjective. But, yes... I get your point about seeing guys projected in the top 25 being available to the Hawks in some mocks in rounds 3-7. Some things are ridiculous. I would disagree with you on the choice of that word for where I placed some of the players in my mock. There were reasons and I even prefaced it by saying it would surprise. I think what happens at this point leading up to the draft is that teams get enamored with specific players and those players are placed higher on teams' respective boards. So... no matter what any of us armchair GM's think, none of us really know a player's actual round value to every team. Mel Kiper looks wrong a lot, too. There is no science to this. Mocks are pure speculation (which is why I've never done one before) - and so I really don't get how I can "improve" upon something that is subjective within reason.
Again, though... thanks for your comments. Another reason I don't "mock draft" is the time it takes to do it. But, thought I'd try it once and see the response. I fully expected to have various opinions. That's fine. We'll see where these guys get selected. I'm probably wrong. No problem. Go Hawks!!!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I was really looking at Michael Williams and Mathieu being big reaches. Williams probably goes UDFA in any of the last 4 drafts.

I agree completely. Anyone that does mock drafts pretty much is going to be wrong almost all the time. About the most accurate one can get, it to get one or two guys right, and at least get half of the positions/rd correct. There are so many moving parts to the draft it's not really predictable.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3gey6ory said:
Yeah, I was really looking at Michael Williams and Mathieu being big reaches. Williams probably goes UDFA in any of the last 4 drafts.

I agree completely. Anyone that does mock drafts pretty much is going to be wrong almost all the time. About the most accurate one can get, it to get one or two guys right, and at least get half of the positions/rd correct. There are so many moving parts to the draft it's not really predictable.
Yup (on the 2nd part - most get only 1 or 2 right, if that.) As far as Williams... it's often said that all it takes is one team to be enamored for a player to get drafted. I agree with those saying he is going to be taken in the mid rounds based on that. As much as he may have lacked production on an Alabama team that didn't need to go to him often... I think he is a player NFL offensive coordinators are going to love. I don't think guys who want to keep a rep are going to say that he could be drafted as high as the 3rd round are going to let their rep ride on Michael Williams if there isn't any reason to say that and just take a wild stab. He wouldn't be my pick at TE. So, not trying to build a campaign to draft him. But, I could see him being valuable as an extra blocker for RW when scrambling and could be a safety valve to dump off a pass... or helping to open holes for ML.

pehawk

Reaction score
Really?

Man, I'm not so sure Honey Badger isn't gone by then. I think his stock's going to rise, and if he's there, I think Hawks consider it. Put him at slot and have him back up Earl, the Seahawks defense COULD approach legendary. Dude just tilts the field as a DB. Last dude that did that was Pac Man, and Pac Man essentially WON 4 games his rookie year at Tennesee, on his own.

If his heads on straight, I think the hawks take him, too much of game-changer not to.

two dog

Reaction score
As a physical freak, Badger don't got it. As a deep thinker, he still don't.
But as a football player, he's got what you're looking for. Kid's tough,
makes plays and doesn't give up.

Geeze, he scares me though. He looks like a 'Niner killer but he also
looks like maybe bad news for his own team. That "Get me out of
N'awlins to save me from myself" crap sounds like he's just can't
wait for a reason to toke up.

I personally can't fault him for that but if you want to play in the NFL,
you gotta play by Mr. Rogers rules.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Yeh!

Another Honey Badger thread.

Let's regurgitate why we all think he's good/bad all over again.

NYCoug

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":cpp6vcti said:
Yeh!

The people want more Honey Badger. They will not be denied. Honestly, if he ends up a Hawk that would be HILARIOUS. This board would lose their collective mind. Half the people would absolutely love it and the other half would absolutely hate it. I hope it happens now.

Back to the OP. I love the Montori Hughes, Jordan Rodgers, and Jake Knott picks.

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2dz4jxko said:
Yeh!

I regurgitated solely based on the interview I saw him give last night.

Most of my life has been spent manipulating, or trying to be manipulated by, hustlers and Cretans. The other part of my life was spent hiring for a few Fortune 500's. Dude gave a great and convincing interview.

And, I guarantee Jeff Fisher would do Pac Man all over again, hell, he did with Janoris.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I like Mathieu, but I think even 3rd round would be a "solid" reach for a pure slot DB, no matter how good.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice work, thanks for taking the time and for putting yourself out there.

If there is a pick that will blow people's minds like the Carpenter and Irvin picks, it's Tyrann at #56. However, if it weren't for his run-ins with the law, and his suspension from the team, he would be considered in the first.

Based on talent alone, he is a first rounder. But based on his drug use, he's an UDFA. Personally, as a recovering alcoholic/addict, I don't trust him so would not draft him earlier than the fifth round, but I have no inside information on him which makes my draft opinion functionally useless. Still, that would be a great "Seahawk" pick. :)

Love Jordan Rogers at QB and don't know much about Williams but a pass catching tackle sounds like a great idea. "Are they going to run or throw?" It would be next to impossible to tell.

Geathers would make a great run stopper to spell Mebane, not the same talent level but he would be great at one thing.

I have a thing for Joe Vellano at DT so was hoping to find him in there :). I would prefer the kicker from Florida State and in the sixth.

Great draft, thanks for doing it.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ivotuk":1hkivs3g said:
Nice work, thanks for taking the time and for putting yourself out there.

If there is a pick that will blow people's minds like the Carpenter and Irvin picks, it's Tyrann at #56. However, if it weren't for his run-ins with the law, and his suspension from the team, he would be considered in the first.

Based on talent alone, he is a first rounder. But based on his drug use, he's an UDFA. Personally, as a recovering alcoholic/addict, I don't trust him so would not draft him earlier than the fifth round, but I have no inside information on him which makes my draft opinion functionally useless. Still, that would be a great "Seahawk" pick. :)

Love Jordan Rogers at QB and don't know much about Williams but a pass catching tackle sounds like a great idea. "Are they going to run or throw?" It would be next to impossible to tell.

Geathers would make a great run stopper to spell Mebane, not the same talent level but he would be great at one thing.

I have a thing for Joe Vellano at DT so was hoping to find him in there :). I would prefer the kicker from Florida State and in the sixth.

Great draft, thanks for doing it.
Thanks. Yah, you convinced me about Jordan Rodgers. I wasn't looking at him before that. I agree with pehawk that Mathieu may not make it to 56. I certainly understand the concerns about spending a high pick on him... but, his playmaking can't and shouldn't be ignored. I think the other thing is that should PH miss any time... he might give us another return guy. I doubt he is still available for the Hawks to consider him as the pick at 56. I was going to have that pick at 2 be Ryan Swope and take Nickell Robey later (another smurf who is impressing and could fit in as a slot CB). But, I decided that the potential with Mathieu might be too good to pass up taking that chance.
The thing I like about scribbling names and thinking it through is that it gives me a greater appreciation for what teams face with making selections. Also, over the years... I have tended wonder why the Seahawks aren't taking more the guys being talked about (by the talking heads) and also been baffled at times why they reach, esp in the first round. But, some of that has worked out. I think I'm coming to a point now after looking at so many players and what might help the team the most... and I'm getting more excited about the draft to see what this special JS/PC regime will do. Perhaps the safest thing would be to load up on lineman - both sides of the ball. But, perhaps the Hawks need another QB, another RB, a joker TE, another WR, a slot CB, a backup Safety, etc.
I'm sort of surprised I didn't get any comments about the G from Nevada - Chris Barker. Seems like he could be a great fit for the Hawks offense. I guess people just couldn't get past Mathieu. I'm also sort of surprised Latavius Murray isn't projected to even be drafted. I'm not an official UCF fan either, so not being a homer there. I'm from the NW.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":11exh9zj said:
theENGLISHseahawk":11exh9zj said:
CALIHAWK1":11exh9zj said:
Not making fun but I stopped when I saw the first pick.

Me too.
:229031_shrug:

Hopefully this is taken as amiably as I intend.
I think the following brief clip is a pretty good example of the type of subjectivity that can get displayed regarding who might be the right players and in what rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI4azc1Ompc

Granted, there's a point at the end that there can be measurable results for those doing subjective "work" which perhaps some could attest to some degree. But, I still have to chuckle sometimes just like the Billy Crystal character.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I actually started doing some research on Michael Williams because of this thread. Thanks. He's going to be an elite blocker for a tight end. Often times he looks like HE'S the Left Tackle. He's seriously that good. He just kills it against Notre Dame.

[youtube]NKfJcwixUqo[/youtube]

He wouldn't be the joker tight end that everyone thinks Seattle's going to go after but maybe Seattle does something unique like this instead? I really like Miller and McCoy as a duo and Cameron Moorah is still on the roster, and he has some experience playing out wide for the Hawks.

Who knows, maybe Tom Cable envisions him beefing up and being an excellent right prospect? Ya never know with these guys.

Latest posts