So... there are still some good nickel corners available.

pehawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":2rcbhy15 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2rcbhy15 said:
Nickel corner is one of the hardest positions to fill because that player will get beat time and time again. Nobody gets an angle on Welker, Gonzalez etc. Those are the types of players you come up against. There's no obvious solution here because the position is such a thankless task.

Name five great nickel corners, currently employed by a team. I'm struggling to name one.

This is an area you have to combat by being creative with your play calling, press the QB and survive. You can't stop guys like Welker getting their catches.

As for Tyrann Mathieu... I'll bet anything he plays free safety and not nickel corner.

Well, there's Casey Hayward in Green Bay for starters. He probably had the best season in the slot last year, plus he was a rookie. And if you change your criteria from "currently employed by a team" to "currently in the league" there's Charles Woodson, Antoine Winfield. There's also Chris Harris in Denver who's a pretty solid nickel, and my personal favorite Javier Arenas from KC.

Overall though, I agree with what you're saying about needing to be creative in order to stop a good slot receiver. Another key is limiting the YAC. A guy like Welker, like you said, will always get his catches. It's! making sure you have sure tackling and punishing him every time he touches the rock that will help contain him.

Online bully

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I and pinksheets brought up in another thread that Woodson isn't really considered a nickel corner any more. I wouldn't bring him in, personally. I think it better to draft some speedy talent at the CB position and try to upgrade WILL in hopes that you can guide any slot receiver into the hornet's nest that is the middle of the field.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3axu36xt said:
I and pinksheets brought up in another thread that Woodson isn't really considered a nickel corner any more. I wouldn't bring him in, personally. I think it better to draft some speedy talent at the CB position and try to upgrade WILL in hopes that you can guide any slot receiver into the hornet's nest that is the middle of the field.

I agree, he's more of a safety now. I just don't get alot of people's obsession with bringing in old vets. We don't need that now. Let's develop the guys we've got. Lane and Guy are promising players who will challege for bigger roles this year. I fully expect us to draft 1-2 more secondary players in the draft. We should be fine at nickleback without breaking the bank on the aging vets.

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":391m8mcz said:
NYCoug":391m8mcz said:
theENGLISHseahawk":391m8mcz said:
Nickel corner is one of the hardest positions to fill because that player will get beat time and time again. Nobody gets an angle on Welker, Gonzalez etc. Those are the types of players you come up against. There's no obvious solution here because the position is such a thankless task.

Name five great nickel corners, currently employed by a team. I'm struggling to name one.

This is an area you have to combat by being creative with your play calling, press the QB and survive. You can't stop guys like Welker getting their catches.

As for Tyrann Mathieu... I'll bet anything he plays free safety and not nickel corner.

Well, there's Casey Hayward in Green Bay for starters. He probably had the best season in the slot last year, plus he was a rookie. And if you change your criteria from "currently employed by a team" to "currently in the league" there's Charles Woodson, Antoine Winfield. There's also Chris Harris in Denver who's a pretty solid nickel, and my personal favorite Javier Arenas from KC.

Overall though, I agree with what you're saying about needing to be creative in order to stop a good slot receiver. Another key is limiting the YAC. A guy like Welker, like you said, will always get his catches. It's! making sure you have sure tackling and punishing him every time he touches the rock that will help contain him.

Online bully

You best recognize. Papa ain't takin no mo mess up in here. Thanks for making me look like a giant ass. To be fair, I guess I did it to myself. I was just pointing out that there's still some damn good nickel CB's in the league and they deserve some love too. See how I spun that one? :mrgreen:

For some reason, I still see us getting Woodson. Petey was gushing over him when FA started and Uncle Pete always gets his man. He's got the Schneider/Green Bay ties on top of that, which will give journalists all across Seattle even more material to write about Woodson to go along with his "veteranosity" and "will to win." On a serious note, I actually think Woodson would do alright in Seattle as a backup safety/sometimes nickel CB. Jeremy Lane is still my guy for the job though, personally, and how cool would it be to see Walter Thurmond finally have a healthy, excellent season next year? He'd be a great nickel and kearly would be HYPED! Lane/Thurmond/Woodson would surely get the Nickel/Dime jobs done in my mind.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3vqgbsif said:
ivotuk":3vqgbsif said:
Winfield is a tackling machine, and a former Viking ;)

Winfield can't cover anymore, if we want a solid tackler we could keep Trufant. We want someone with quickness to cover slot guys.

Where did you get that?
He is still the best Nickleback in the league, he has not allowed a TD all of last year, he is a tackling machine.
If we want someone in the draft..

D.J. Swearinger.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=FS

He's Tyrann and more, would be a great late pickup.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawksfan425":1awtco6y said:
Charles Woodson and Antoine Winfield are still free agents. Anyone think we pursue them? I personally would love to sign Winfield and have him compete with a drafted nickel corner.

Both these guys are holding out for bigger contracts. Which they won't get until teams get desperate right before the season starts.

Right now all anyone's offering for old veterans like Woodson, Winfield, Urlacher, etc is one year low ball/incentive based deals. They know if they wait til the end of training camp that teams will have injury problems and they can get more money. So I wouldn't expect these guys to sign until August.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Draft is a better option at this point. They are going to need SOME cap room going into the season after all. ;)

JKent82

Reaction score
Winfield I'd like. I know one of those metric sites they had him extremely high ranked for run stopping and wasn't bad in coverage. I'd be fine with that honestly. As long as it's like vet minimum.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I have faith in Jeremy Lane as nickel back, or Thurm if he stays healthy. If we go another route, I'd rather we grab Honey Badger.