So long to the Pacific Northwest

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
So long to the Pacific Northwest
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:00 pm
  • Hooray, I can finally let the cat out of the bag! I have been dying to tell folks here about it, but due to the circumstances, I couldn't. I can now!

As many of you know, we fought long and hard to get back home after I retired from the Navy. And it's been completely awesome. But recently things have changed and a new opportunity has opened up. Actually two opportunities have opened up. We're going back to California. The wife has taken a high-paying executive job there, and I have been offered an opportunity that will allow me to take advantage of my rather unique and specialized skill set of linguistics.

We've been on the phone with our realtor nearly night and day for the past three weeks, and have found a place. It's a foreclosure, and we're getting it for a steal, but it's going to need a whole lot of fixing up. She sent us some pictures of it in its prime that I thought I'd share with you. The previous owner pictured himself somewhat of a "Rocky Balboa" or "Rambo" type, and couldn't keep out of a fight. The house took the brunt of things.

Obviously it looks a lot different now, and it will take some considerable effort to get it back to looking like this, but it's a golden opportunity, one that even trumps staying here in Washington! We are STOKED!

ImageImage
    ImageImage

ImageImage
    ImageImage

ImageImage
    ImageImage

ImageImage
    ImageImage
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Re: So long to the Pacific Northwest
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm
  • So, what, does it look more like Jesse Pinkman's house in Season 4 right now?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 pm
  • Congrats, dude. I don't blame you for moving to the nicer weather.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 pm
  • Actually, Robert Swift owned it prior to Sailor.

Oh, and congrats Sailor. And dont EVER make me break character and be nice, again.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 pm
  • Wow, that place is awesome. Enjoy!
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 pm
  • Thanks guys! I'm so excited about this. I have been asked to collaborate with one of the studios (unfortunately I can't say which one just yet) on an upcoming project that includes work in an exotic locale where I just happen to speak the language. It's quite a surreal dream at this point.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 pm
  • What languages do you fluently speak?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What languages do you fluently speak?

Ebonics. Duh.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What languages do you fluently speak?

Several, actually. Not sure I should really get into much of a discussion about it yet, even as far as that's concerned, as the studio has me under a contract with very strict confidentiality clauses. All I can say is that I'll be involved with a large upcoming project in a foreign country, and that my involvement goes beyond just a bit of translating.

Kind of wild how it happened. Seems one of their execs came across my Twitter feed and found out I'd helped Joe Hill with some translation about a year ago, and started asking questions. Then this came out of nowhere. Hollywood, here we come!
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm
  • Bad ass!! Let me know when you're all settled in. I'll come down and stay with you for an extended and open-ended length of time.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:What languages do you fluently speak?

Several, actually. Not sure I should really get into much of a discussion about it yet, even as far as that's concerned, as the studio has me under a contract with very strict confidentiality clauses. All I can say is that I'll be involved with a large upcoming project in a foreign country, and that my involvement goes beyond just a bit of translating.

Kind of wild how it happened. Seems one of their execs came across my Twitter feed and found out I'd helped Joe Hill with some translation about a year ago, and started asking questions. Then this came out of nowhere. Hollywood, here we come!

That's pretty awesome. Wish you all the best. You mentioned Central California, and given your wife's executive job, and the fact you won't mention the actual location, it's got to be in the heart of 49er land. I'm guessing North Bay.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm
  • That is a very nice place. Congratulations! (assuming this isn't an April Fool's joke :P)
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:

That's pretty awesome. Wish you all the best. You mentioned Central California, and given your wife's executive job, and the fact you won't mention the actual location, it's got to be in the heart of 49er land. I'm guessing North Bay.

North Orange County, so quite a bit south from the Bay Area. We do have a bunch of friends still up in that area, so we'll be up to visit quite often I'm sure, but we'll be down in the land of the apathetic NFL fan. Not that I'll be around for a lot of next year.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 pm
  • Congrats Sailor...sounds like everything's coming up roses for you right now. Hope it all works out for you there.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:03 pm
  • Sailor, you turd.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:

North Orange County, so quite a bit south from the Bay Area. We do have a bunch of friends still up in that area, so we'll be up to visit quite often I'm sure, but we'll be down in the land of the apathetic NFL fan. Not that I'll be around for a lot of next year.

My mind must be going. I swear there was mention of central CA. D'oh.

In Orange, there's a great little store owned by The Bruery called the Provisions. I recommend it for some experimental/sour ales.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:19 pm
  • Its too bad you're living right as the weather is opening up here in Washington. That place looks magnificent in its heyday. I'm taking a stab here, but поздравления!
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:28 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:That is a very nice place. Congratulations! (assuming this isn't an April Fool's joke :P)

Thanks. And yea, the irony of that hasn't escaped me. Seems someone in Hollywood has a sense of humor after all.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:

Hmm... sounds like some Argo shit going on. Are you writing a fake script starring Dennis Rodman and Kim Jung Un, (or whatever his name is).
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Hmm... sounds like some Argo shit going on. Are you writing a fake script starring Dennis Rodman and Kim Jung Un, (or whatever his name is).

Abrams is consulting with him about speaking in Aurebesh for the upcoming Disney Star Wars film.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:46 pm
  • Heh, J! Don't I wish! That would be pretty damn cool. I have a feeling this one's going to be just as fun when it's all said and done, though.

And no, Roland, it's not "Aurebesh". I think I can safely say that. Although I have learned alphabet scripts harder than that one!
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Hmm... sounds like some Argo shit going on. Are you writing a fake script starring Dennis Rodman and Kim Jung Un, (or whatever his name is).

Abrams is consulting with him about speaking in Aurebesh for the upcoming Disney Star Wars film.

How do you know it's not Ewok? Disney gotta sell those dolls.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:How do you know it's not Ewok? Disney gotta sell those dolls.

Well, I guess Sailor falls under that "cuddly retard" category. You may be correct. It could also be Huttese...
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 pm
  • That´s an awesome house Sailor, congratulations!
    MexHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:26 pm
  • Congrats! (maybe early, as it isn't the second quite yet..)

Remember, you know a Spanish Linguist who is willing to relocate to CA if you need it....
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 pm
  • ChiefHawk wrote:Congrats! (maybe early, as it isn't the second quite yet..)

Remember, you know a Spanish Linguist who is willing to relocate to CA if you need it....

Very true. Unfortunately Spanish is not in the mix here, I think I can safely say. I do know a bunch of folks who speak what they need that are on standby in case of need. I don't want to push my luck too much here, as it's all still very much potential this and tentative that right now.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 pm
  • Very nice pad, congrats Sailor.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm
  • And which room is mine?

And don't forget. I am a cunning linguist if needed.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:08 pm
  • We speak German around the house fairly often... for no good reason, we're just weird. I also had a solid grasp of Spanish before my wife came along and I started teaching myself German. The result of that is that when I have to break out my Spanish to translate at work, I tend to spew this bizarre Germish hybrid that exists nowhere in nature.

And I can transliterate it into Cyrillic to REALLY jack with people.

Oh, and congrats!
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:26 pm
  • TravTex wrote:We speak German around the house fairly often... for no good reason, we're just weird. I also had a solid grasp of Spanish before my wife came along and I started teaching myself German. The result of that is that when I have to break out my Spanish to translate at work, I tend to spew this bizarre Germish hybrid that exists nowhere in nature.

And I can transliterate it into Cyrillic to REALLY jack with people.

Oh, and congrats!

No, there's a reason, Himmler.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:41 pm
  • Here is the link to the house we're getting. He offered me a good deal on it because of my role in the project.

And I'm happy to say I can go ahead and spill the beans regarding the film's location. It's New Zealand! So I'll need to hire an accent coach, in addition to my ability in the language.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:54 pm
  • Tolkien nerd!
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:01 pm
  • Just read this...holy sheep shit!

Congratulations, Sailor! Fuggin amazing!!

I was going to point out on the how awesome Seattle weather post that my family and I are on Waikiki during the kids Spring Break, but this news beats the shit out of me being on vacation!

I am so happy for you! Get a giant 12 flag for the garages. I toast a Bushmills and longboard lager in your honor!!
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:17 pm
  • New Zealand is = to PNW, almost a mirror image.

Way to go Jonathan !!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:06 am
  • For those who didn't catch the cryptic clues dropped along the way, no I am not buying Sylvester Stalone's $4.5 million dollar house, moving to Hollywood, and jetting off to New Zealand to star in a movie. Would be nice, but the PNW is stuck with me for the indefinite future. April Fools Day was fun this year. Much belly laughs were had.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 am
  • We should all borrow Dunces hat.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:08 am
  • Solid AF Sailor. Just preparing my congratulatory post until I read your last one.

Maybe next year!
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 am
  • You all should feel ashamed. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:You all should feel ashamed. :)

And you should be proud for not replying, immediately, with "Great April Fools Joke".
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:27 am
  • The joke's really on Sailor, because he exposed the dreams he's never going to fulfill. I bet he cried a little.

(Really well thought out joke, btw.)

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:You all should feel ashamed. :)

And you should be proud for not replying, immediately, with "Great April Fools Joke".

Don't be mad because I figured it out right away. Sailor asked me to go along with it, so I didn't ruin it. :) He can confirm.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am
  • That's okay, I got Sailor REALLY good with my "lets nuke the moon" thread. He actually believed I'm dumb and crazy....what a rube!
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 am
  • Yeah, he's a total rube for believing that. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    pehawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:You all should feel ashamed. :)

Don't be mad because I figured it out right away. Sailor asked me to go along with it, so I didn't ruin it. :) He can confirm.

True story. He called me out on page one. I nuked his post to keep it going a bit longer, thus the "Sailor, you turd!" post by him there. :laugh:
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 am
  • We've learned two things from this.

First, Roland HAS to explain or ruin any joke or gag to quell his insecurity (most likely being teased in HS feeds the NEED to be in on things). Second, Sailor has NO real gag skills, he simply possesses mod rights.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 am
  • pehawk wrote:We've learned two things from this.

First, Roland HAS to explain or ruin any joke or gag to quell his insecurity (most likely being teased in HS feeds the NEED to be in on things). Second, Sailor has NO real gag skills, he simply possesses mod rights.

Admittedly, I did feel a split second of guilt over my abuse of powers. :lol:
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 am
  • pehawk wrote:First, Roland HAS to explain or ruin any joke or gag to quell his insecurity (most likely from being teased in HS feeds the NEED to be in on things).

Actually, if this were true, I'd have kept trying to ruin it. Instead, I went in cahoots with Sailor.

Also, I wasn't popular in high school, but it was basically intentional; I considered the town to be a hick-filled craphole, which it was and still is, and most of my classmates knew I thought it. I had a few core friends that were really good friends, and I was just fine with that. I even got my ass beaten by a 6'3"ish big upperclassman when I was a freshman (he was a junior) because I was chatting with a friend in metal shop about how much this town sucked, (one of my good friends that was going to move once he graduated) and he stood up and shouted at nearly the top of his lungs so everyone could hear, "*******it, we ain't ******* HICKS!" Being the smartass that I am, my response was "You 'ain't?'" He then proceeded to punch me straight in the jaw and we started to fight, but it was quickly broken up by the teacher. I have no illusions that I would have won that fight, he was athletic and had 60+ pounds on me, though I was taking Aikido at the time and could have easily avoided him for a long time had I wanted to.

Since I didn't feel like getting jumped in the parking lot by him and a few of his friends, I kept my opinions a bit more quiet after that; so it did teach me a lesson, you might say. Namely, that people don't like the truth. 8) I knew I'd never live there again once I was old enough to get out, and I didn't like a significant percentage of my classmates. Many of them were either racist/bigoted, or liked living there and never had any plans to move. Going from Miami, FL to Marshall, WI was horrible and I forever hate small towns after having experienced one. I also dislike parents that raise their kids in them, because then a lot of those kids don't know any better. It's pathetic how many classmates I had when I was 16 years old that had never left the state in their whole lives. A few had never even left the county.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:07 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Admittedly, I did feel a split second of guilt over my abuse of powers. :lol:

Liar. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    pehawk wrote:First, Roland HAS to explain or ruin any joke or gag to quell his insecurity (most likely from being teased in HS feeds the NEED to be in on things).

Actually, if this were true, I'd have kept trying to ruin it. Instead, I went in cahoots with Sailor.

Also, I wasn't popular in high school, but it was basically intentional; I considered the town to be a hick-filled craphole, which it was and still is, and most of my classmates knew I thought it. I had a few core friends that were really good friends, and I was just fine with that. I even got my ass beaten by a 6'3"ish big upperclassman when I was a freshman (he was a junior) because I was chatting with a friend in metal shop about how much this town sucked, (one of my good friends that was going to move once he graduated) and he stood up and shouted at nearly the top of his lungs so everyone could hear, "*******it, we ain't ******* HICKS!" Being the smartass that I am, my response was "You 'ain't?'" He then proceeded to punch me straight in the jaw and we started to fight, but it was quickly broken up by the teacher. I have no illusions that I would have won that fight, he was athletic and had 60+ pounds on me, though I was taking Aikido at the time and could have easily avoided him for a long time had I wanted to.

Since I didn't feel like getting jumped in the parking lot by him and a few of his friends, I kept my opinions a bit more quiet after that; so it did teach me a lesson, you might say. Namely, that people don't like the truth. 8) I knew I'd never live there again once I was old enough to get out, and I didn't like a significant percentage of my classmates. Many of them were either racist/bigoted, or liked living there and never had any plans to move. Going from Miami, FL to Marshall, WI was horrible and I forever hate small towns after having experienced one. I also dislike parents that raise their kids in them, because then a lot of those kids don't know any better. It's pathetic how many classmates I had when I was 16 years old that had never left the state in their whole lives. A few had never even left the county.

You were just underrating the county.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:You were just underrating the county.

That's a good one. I see you still have yet to reply in the other thread; it was a serious request.

However, go spend some time in rural Dane County, WI and then explain how I underrated it. :lol: Maybe I just didn't spend enough time at Cascade Mountain in Portage, WI; which is in the county directly north of Dane County. That "mountain" has a grand total of 388 feet of elevation from base. A true marvel of the skiing world.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Next

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information