Flynn and Harvin Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think there is a lot of animosity on what the Seahawks gave up and received in both trades. However, if you hypothetically clump them together as if it were a three team trade... (hell, possibly on trades related trades together)... and you get something very practical.

Minnesota receives 1st (2013), 7th (I think Buffalo's we got for Tarvaris Jackson who was signed as a free agent in 2011), and our 3rd Round pick in 2014.

So to Harvin we traded our 1st round pick and presumably a 4th round value in 2014 plus in a matter of speaking Tarvaris Jackson back to Minnesota.

Then we traded to Oakland, Matt Flynn who was SIGNED as a free agent in 2012, a QB with only 2 starts in what 5 years, a QB with about 16 starts his whole career... for a pair of rumored 5th round picks in both 2014, and 2015... not to mention about 10 million save in cap space in 2013 and 2014. (Different FO at the time but we also have to thank Oakland for taking Aaron Curry off our hands )

And if you put it all together, now, we pretty much traded a 2013 1st rounder, somewhat Matt Flynn*, and Tarvaris Jackson for Percy Harvin who is a 24 year old 4 yr vet now blossoming into an elite tier WR, is one of the best YAC threats in the league that give the Seahawks the elusive, separation inducing WR that Wilson's Offense lacks, and is one of the only players that can be considered an upgrade over Leon Washington in the return game.

*what we traded Flynn for might not equate into a 3rd rounder but if we resign players with that created cap space then imo it could be worth more in perspective of keeping quality players over the unknown.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Wait why are you combining all the trades? Sorry I dont really get it. Just to kind of compare them?

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3qjh3rif said:
Wait why are you combining all the trades? Sorry I dont really get it. Just to kind of compare them?

I'm just saying if you thought about it like it was a combined effort then what we lost in the process or perhaps what we lost in the imagination of some of the people on here its not as extreme.

Pretty much after the Seahawks realize what they had in Russell Wilson, both Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson became irrelevant whether people think so or not.

I'm just saying that in the end we pretty much traded Flynn, Jackson, and our 2013 1st Rounder for Percy Harvin plus cap space to resign our own players.

And overall, in the perspective of it all, that is a huge win for the Seahawks.

Reaction score
flynnandflynner.gif

Lady Talon

Reaction score
We lost a backup QB with disputed potential from a weak position as the NFL clearly held him in low regard, saved more rollover cap space and negated his considerable dead money next year, which gives us more freedom to sign Thomas and Sherman when their time comes.

So, instead of hanging on to the pacifier of OMG what if Wilson gets hurt. We can keep our team competitive for super bowl runs for a few years.

Likewise, with as strong of a roster as we have, what good would picks for this year have been. Even if Pete turned an Oakland 5th rounder into a potential Sherman, it's likely he'd go unrecognized and get cut. Better to have future picks at this point and time, if we do indeed win the superbowl, we'll need it next year, as we'll have some decent players with contracts coming due, which will be let go to sign other priorities.

We need to keep our roster strong and intact for a 2-3 year window of Superbowl potential, something we failed to do after '05. Flynn was in the way of that.

two dog

Reaction score
What was remarkable to me about the two trades is, hurt feelers aside,
nobody got fleeced. All three teams made out well in my view.

NYCoug

Reaction score
two dog":2sc1mr3a said:
What was remarkable to me about the two trades is, hurt feelers aside,
nobody got fleeced. All three teams made out well in my view.

Any GM will tell you that that's what everyone's aiming for. You want the win/win deals for both sides so that you can continue trading with teams in the future. If you develop the reputation of a 'fleecer', nobody's going to want to make a deal with you after a while. You gotta give to get.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with either trade.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It just seems to me that we gave a bit too much for Harvin and what we got for Flynn was a little light.

McGruff

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":32z5lm2q said:
It just seems to me that we gave a bit too much for Harvin and what we got for Flynn was a little light.

That's what fans almost always think.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
For all you fans that think we could have gotten more for Flynn please tell us how you would have done it. The only team that can be verified to be in the market for Flynn had almost no picks in the first four rounds of the draft this year. They knew and we knew that there were no other teams wanting him enough to pull the trigger. The only thing JS could have done to unload Flynn's salary was to accommodate Oakland's draft pick problem and get future picks. And you know that after not having virtually any high draft picks year they weren't going to give their high picks next year. If you need to dance and Oakland's they only girl at the party...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts