Aprés Flynn, Abraham?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Aprés Flynn, Abraham?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 am
  • most people seem to reckon we'll bring in John Abraham now that Flynn's off the books. What d'you all reckon?
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Re: Aprés Flynn, Abraham?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:35 am
  • I think we need to save that money to bring in a backup QB
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:37 am
  • No

OK to expand - we are bringing in a backup and we are resigning Kam and we roll money over to next year to resign Sherman
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 am
  • mikeak wrote:No

OK to expand - we are bringing in a backup and we are resigning Kam and we roll money over to next year to resign Sherman

How would a one year deal for Abraham this year affect Sherman's deal next year?
    bloodkingg
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 am
  • bloodkingg wrote:
    mikeak wrote:No

How would a one year deal for Abraham this year affect Sherman's deal next year?

Just like he said, everything we don't spend this year is rolled over to next year
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am
  • Just because Flynn is gone does not mean we're going on a spending spree. As others said, this will just help current deals in the works get finalized and it will allow us to save some money for next year.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:49 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    bloodkingg wrote:
    mikeak wrote:No

Just like he said, everything we don't spend this year is rolled over to next year

Does the cap space become more valuable if it's unspent then? If we have 5 million in cap space, spend 2 million on Abraham, then we'd be at 3 million. Then he'd come off the books and we'd be back at 5 million for next year. Explain to me my gap in logic please.
    bloodkingg
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:53 am
  • bloodkingg wrote:
    Does the cap space become more valuable if it's unspent then? If we have 5 million in cap space, spend 2 million on Abraham, then we'd be at 3 million. Then he'd come off the books and we'd be back at 5 million for next year. Explain to me my gap in logic please.

If we have 5 million unspent this year, we are allowed to take that 5 million in cap space and roll it to next years cap, adding 5 million more dollars to what we can spend next year.

It's like AT&T roll over minutes. If you a 1000 minute month plan and you only use 500 minutes, then you add 500 minutes to the next month, you would then get 1500 minutes for the next month.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:55 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    bloodkingg wrote:

If we have 5 million unspent this year, we are allowed to take that 5 million in cap space and roll it to next years cap, adding 5 million more dollars to what we can spend next year.

It's like AT&T roll over minutes. If you a 1000 minute month plan and you only use 500 minutes, then you add 500 minutes to the next month, you would then get 1500 minutes for the next month.

Crazy. Wow ok, yeah don't spend anything, I agree. Thanks.
    bloodkingg
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 am
  • bloodkingg wrote:Does the cap space become more valuable if it's unspent then? If we have 5 million in cap space, spend 2 million on Abraham, then we'd be at 3 million. Then he'd come off the books and we'd be back at 5 million for next year. Explain to me my gap in logic please.

That 2 million we spent on Abraham would not be added to the top of next year's cap. It would be a part of next year's original cap. We would only be adding 3 million on top of the cap, not the full 5.

So instead of say, 135 million, we would have 133 million if we spent 2 on abraham this year and the cap was originally set at 130. The money spent this year does not roll over, it is just freed up in the original cap number.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 am
  • bloodkingg wrote:

Yep, no problem

And if I got something wrong, someone please correct me
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 am
  • I hope we dont resign Kam like everyone is saying.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 am
  • No to Abraham. We've added enough vets to the D-line. Draft a couple of rooks to groom and coach up.

We may do something more in FA, but I would assume they're done signing DL until the draft.

An OL or a backup QB seem more likely, if anything. Personally, I'd focus on the draft. We have 10 picks. We could find a decent backup QB and depth for several positions.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 am
  • bellingerga wrote:I hope we dont resign Kam like everyone is saying.

How come?
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:03 am
  • HawkFan72 wrote:
    bloodkingg wrote:Does the cap space become more valuable if it's unspent then? If we have 5 million in cap space, spend 2 million on Abraham, then we'd be at 3 million. Then he'd come off the books and we'd be back at 5 million for next year. Explain to me my gap in logic please.

That 2 million we spent on Abraham would not be added to the top of next year's cap. It would be a part of next year's original cap. We would only be adding 3 million on top of the cap, not the full 5.

So instead of say, 135 million, we would have 133 million if we spent 2 on abraham this year and the cap was originally set at 130. The money spent this year does not roll over, it is just freed up in the original cap number.

Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?
    bloodkingg
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 am
  • I think we extend some of our own guys.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 am
  • bloodkingg wrote:Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

The cap figure each year is set by the NFL. When a team rolls over money, it is only on the books for that particular season. Now if they have leftover again, they can re-roll that money over to the following year, so in essence, it's always there, but only if we don't spend it.

Sidenote, I do not know if there is a limit on rolling money in the CBA. It's currently allowed but I don't know if that continues through the entire 10 year CBA or if it has a termination date. I haven't heard of a termination date for doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:10 am
  • bloodkingg wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:
    bloodkingg wrote:Does the cap space become more valuable if it's unspent then? If we have 5 million in cap space, spend 2 million on Abraham, then we'd be at 3 million. Then he'd come off the books and we'd be back at 5 million for next year. Explain to me my gap in logic please.

Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

Eventually it will come back down. I believe the cap rollover is only available for a couple more years. I might be wrong though.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:10 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    bloodkingg wrote:

Yep, no problem

And if I got something wrong, someone please correct me

Nope - thanks for elaborating on it on my behalf :)

People forget it / don't understand it right because it didn't use to work this way. It is a huge thing and lowers the reasons to resign players early (you have to weigh it against letting them hit FA and being pissed off) but ability to take unused cap and putting it on next years cap number is huge and has an impact on decisions made.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:14 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    bloodkingg wrote:Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

The cap figure each year is set by the NFL. When a team rolls over money, it is only on the books for that particular season. Now if they have leftover again, they can re-roll that money over to the following year, so in essence, it's always there, but only if we don't spend it.

Sidenote, I do not know if there is a limit on rolling money in the CBA. It's currently allowed but I don't know if that continues through the entire 10 year CBA or if it has a termination date. I haven't heard of a termination date for doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

Makes sense. Thanks. So if we save this money for Sherman next year, then we're really going all in next year because after that we won't have any money to rollover and will have to release a certain amount of money to get back under the cap.

I like the crew we have now, don't think we need more necessarily. Can make a run for the super bowl this year, then pay our guys, go for it again, then at that point it's in JS's hands. Presumably trying to get younger and cheaper while not compromising talent.
    bloodkingg
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:21 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    bellingerga wrote:I hope we dont resign Kam like everyone is saying.

How come?

Agreed. How come? Why would we not want Kam?
    two dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:24 am
  • bloodkingg wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    bloodkingg wrote:Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

Makes sense. Thanks. So if we save this money for Sherman next year, then we're really going all in next year because after that we won't have any money to rollover and will have to release a certain amount of money to get back under the cap.

I like the crew we have now, don't think we need more necessarily. Can make a run for the super bowl this year, then pay our guys, go for it again, then at that point it's in JS's hands. Presumably trying to get younger and cheaper while not compromising talent.

Also, don't forget, as veterans age and we draft younger talent, that younger talent will be paid on a much lower scale to replace the older vets, so that cycles back space on the cap for teams who can draft well. This is why we are in such great shape right now. We've been able to draft a ton of starters and that's keeping our cap in good shape. If we can continue to do that, we should continue to keep good cap value over the coming years.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 pm
  • two dog wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    bellingerga wrote:I hope we dont resign Kam like everyone is saying.

How come?

Agreed. How come? Why would we not want Kam?

If you're extending the 2011 version of Kam, it's a no-brainer... extend him.

If you're extending the 2012 version, the thinking that I've seen expressed here is... draft his replacement now and develop him this year... and let Kam go into FA after this season... especially considering that we've got to extend Sherm, Earl, and Russell not too far down the road.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 pm
  • Look. I see it like this. If JS can squeeze Abraham in then so be it. We are going to want all the pass rush we can get this season. One year deal. No prob. See who is worthy of a new contract in the offseason. No harm in that. Someone is likely to not be as great as we would have hoped this year and they will be gone. We keep the better of the bunch. Pretty simple really. We will have plenty of space to sign and extend.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:45 pm
  • What about the OL? Am I the only one that thinks we still need some depth or better starting quality on the OL, mainly at RT/RG? I hope the draft is kind to us when it comes to some OL help.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:51 pm
  • I don't think signing a Bennett with a torn rotator cuff is assurance on the D-Line and I want Abraham.

Get it DONE.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 pm
  • McG wrote:What about the OL? Am I the only one that thinks we still need some depth or better starting quality on the OL, mainly at RT/RG? I hope the draft is kind to us when it comes to some OL help.

I do believe this will get addressed in the draft. Cable will coach us up a stud (or 2) to compete with Giacomini. Just watch.
    Last edited by nwgamer on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:

There is a limit, there is a penalty applied by the NFL if 90% of your available cap space is not used.

Oh never mind didn't have my glasses so read the question wrong.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:58 pm
  • What a change! We've got guys beating on our door to come here!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 pm
  • No. I agree with other posts. We have some veterans and the draft is deep for DTs.
    Roll the money over and develop some rookies.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:most people seem to reckon we'll bring in John Abraham

Not happening
    Dirty Bird
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm
  • If I understand it right. This year we only save $3.200,000. Next year is where the Seahawks really save. So I think the Seahawks are done signing players this year. We have enough DE anyway. What we need are DTs. Look to the draft for that need.
    haroldseattle
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:42 pm
  • John Abraham and Urlacher seem like after the draft type guys at this point. If we can upgrade their positions in the draft then we go that route. If the draft doesnt fall that way, then we give these guys a call and offer a 1 year contract.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:58 am
  • It's "après". Accent grave, pas d'accent aigu.
    ParisPC07
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:32 am
  • onanygivensunday wrote:If you're extending the 2011 version of Kam, it's a no-brainer... extend him.

If you're extending the 2012 version, the thinking that I've seen expressed here is... draft his replacement now and develop him this year... and let Kam go into FA after this season... especially considering that we've got to extend Sherm, Earl, and Russell not too far down the road.

The 2012 version played through a pretty bad foot injury and played pretty dang well at that.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information