Idea: Tim Tebow

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
sadhappy":g1qkvyxx said:
SDHawk":g1qkvyxx said:
So far, the most prevalent reason for not considering Tebow is that his fans are asshats and 12s are just too exclusive a club to allow said asshattery. Yeah... those are really good football reasons. I bet some of you said the same about Pete Carroll... too corny, too rah rah, hate USC, proven to suck at the pro-level, blah blah blah.

Whatever the conventional "wisdom", I'd consider Tebow at the expense of my genitalia, orifices, etc

"Tebow's only as bad as he is. Because of the way human cognition works, people lets hoards of idiots mocking him mercilessly calibrate the magnitude of his "badness". The more people who mock in forums, the worse he must be!"

Reasons why bringing Tim Tebow to Seattle is a non-starter.

1. He can't throw.
2. He can't throw.
3. He can't throw.

He's everything you could ever want from a quarterback except for that. Bit of a problem. You seem to think it's a personal thing but the reality is fans want their team to win so bad you can be a rapist in this league and the fans will want you if you can play the position at a high level. It's not because of his beliefs or the backlash against the cult of personality. That argument just doesn't stand up to reality. Which is Tim Tebow can't throw.

Clearly you didnt see the suggestion he come in as a FB/TE. But even at QB, is Josh Portis much better?

I like versatility on this team so when unexpected injuries occur you have players that can wear multiple hats.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Tebow at first. The only reason the rest of your examples gained more attention was because the Jets kept Tebow parked on the sidelines.

As for Sherman and Mike Rob, Robinson does his own videos and he's not even in the same atmosphere as Tebow when it comes to media coverage.

Sherman is closer, but the difference is that he's a playmaker and much better at his position than Tebow is at his.

No, the difference is Tebow doesnt try and draw attention to himself... but for whatever reason, the media still gives it to him.

I am not denying that the media has a strange fetish for Tebow... but from what I saw last year he was a pretty good soldier considering how dirty the Jets did him. The JETS wanted him to be a PR move, I'm not sure thats what Tebow wanted.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, the last thing we want is another great teammate, great competitor, and great person on this team. Is Tebow a refined passer? No. Is he a finished product? No. If some of you had seen Rich Gannon in his early years you would have said he couldn't play QB in the NFL. Steve Young's completion percentage after 40 games played: 53%.

Because of the rapid development of many young passers recently some assume that if you look bad your first couple of seasons you automatically cannot play. They forget that in most cases it has taken significant time to become a productive starting NFL QB. Several QBs blossomed late in their careers after initially written off as busts.

Tebow is still working through all the mechanical issues that Urban Meyer selfishly ignored. Those issues may not be correctable, but what if they are? If we could acquire him for cheap and develop him as a project behind Wilson I would not be opposed. Those against seem either shortsighted or bigoted to me...

Happy

Reaction score
We already have a fullback who was a pretty darn good D1 quarterback back in the day. Tebow would be redundant in that role. Bit late in his career to work on converting him to tight end.

Josh Portis is a scout team quarterback at best. I would be shocked if he made the 53 man roster. But he knows the system so he'll be good to bring into OTAs and mini camp, and into training camp.

I guess we could use tebow on special teams like the jets did. There is that.

Largent80

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":226mpd6m said:
Yeah, the last thing we want is another great teammate, great competitor, and great person on this team. Is Tebow a refined passer? No. Is he a finished product? No. If some of you had seen Rich Gannon in his early years you would have said he couldn't play QB in the NFL. Steve Young's completion percentage after 40 games played: 53%.

Because of the rapid development of many young passers recently some assume that if you look bad your first couple of seasons you automatically cannot play. They forget that in most cases it has taken significant time to become a productive starting NFL QB. Several QBs blossomed late in their careers after initially written off as busts.

Tebow is still working through all the mechanical issues that Urban Meyer selfishly ignored. Those issues may not be correctable, but what if they are? If we could acquire him for cheap and develop him as a project behind Wilson I would not be opposed. Those against seem either shortsighted or bigoted to me...

edited for language attacking poster rather than post.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Maybe the Mariners could sign him to be a pinch runner but only use him in situations where he is on 3rd base and are trying a suicide squeeze.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2vs6dh7r said:
Thunderhawk":2vs6dh7r said:

That's your argument? Someone is clearly projecting. Try refuting the points in the post to demonstrate your superiority.

edited

Happy

Reaction score
slow development or not, the NFL is a young man's game and if a QB still can't throw by his 4th year in the league, that's a little bigger in magnitude than 'mechanical issues'. FFS!

This topic is making me laugh. And I thought the tjack homers were bad.

Largent80

Reaction score
@Thunderhawk

My superiority?.

When I post, I am not trying to be superior, lets establish that first.

On topic. Tebow cannot play QB for my Seahawks, or any other team, but since we are talking Seahawks, I am going to say this guy has no business being near this team pretending to be a QB.

He is a joke as a QB in the NFL. If he wants to be a FB, sorry, we have the best FB in the league in Mike Rob.

Teblow can do whatever some other team thinks he can do, but keep him away from My Hawkas.

Got it son?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tebow has been pissed that he wasn't used as a conventional QB last season. The dude wants to start as a QB, not a sit on the bench and/or be a TE or FB.

He wants to play a position he can't play. What do you do with that?

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":ff4t6igp said:

Thanks Thunderhawk. I wouldn't go as far as mentioning Steve Young in the same sentence but yeah, he is by all accounts a good soldier, competitor and has the character and integrity to be a welcomed addition in the lockerroom... My point is that he is a versatile and athletic player. If we can add depth at 3 positions with just one person, I think its a move to consider. He is not a good quarterback, it is known. It is also known that TJack, Seneca, Tyler Thigpen, etc are also not quarterbacks. But does TJack/Seneca/Thigpen have the build to transition to FB/TE in a pinch? Mike Rob did and I believe Tebow may have similar qualities to make the transition.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2f53ynvb said:
Tebow has been pissed that he wasn't used as a conventional QB last season. The dude wants to start as a QB, not a sit on the bench and/or be a TE or FB.

He wants to play a position he can't play. What do you do with that?

No, he was upset because he was promised a chance to compete at QB and wasn't given the opportunity despite a lost season. I dont think he came into NYC thinking he would be the starter... but when the world imploded for GangGreen, they still didnt give him a fair shake. Even still, it's not like he was throwing hissy fits and raging on his Twitter account.

Sac

Reaction score
Young didn't come attached to a circus. The circus I'd why i don't want him on my team.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2fhgcwmn said:
Young didn't come attached to a circus. The circus I'd why i don't want him on my team.

No, instead a malignant cancer comes attached with Young.

I'm interested in going back a few months and finding out how many of you complaining about a circus were complaining about not getting enough national attention.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yes, it'd be the same media circus if he came here. Orton, Sanchez and Russell Wilson all belong in the same category. Obviously it'd be a QB controversy, because, yeah, Seattle still hasnt resolved that issue.

He'd be a great teammate and back-up. Ask him to create plays and make throws off plays, he'll do enough. He'd be NO different than Wilson was his first 4 starts, maybe better.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
formido":2br1icfw said:
Tebow would be a welcome addition under the right terms. He has talent. He's a horrible passer, which makes it all the more remarkable that he had a clearly winning effect on Denver during his time there. Tebow's only as bad as he is. Because of the way human cognition works, people lets hoards of idiots mocking him mercilessly calibrate the magnitude of his "badness". The more people who mock in forums, the worse he must be!

I also enjoy having sideshows on the teams I root for. Unless there's direct personal animosity between directly interacting parts of a team, sideshows don't lose games, except in the imaginations of people who let their annoyance bias their POV.
Well said.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pehawk":1qya8msd said:
Yes, it'd be the same media circus if he came here. Orton, Sanchez and Russell Wilson all belong in the same category. Obviously it'd be a QB controversy, because, yeah, Seattle still hasnt resolved that issue.

He'd be a great teammate and back-up. Ask him to create plays and make throws off plays, he'll do enough. He'd be NO different than Wilson was his first 4 starts, maybe better.
I agree.

"Tim Tebow will never blow you away Monday through Saturday, but what happened when he got his chance on Sundays with Denver?" -Jason Smith, NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ot-so-fast