Let's Talk Mariners

nategreat

Reaction score
So Si, you think Zunino will be called up this year? That would be great, I don't know what to expect as far as call-ups, but I would be excited to see that. He's much more of a catcher than Montero, and is a pretty solid bat from what I've heard. What do you think happens when he gets called up? Split starts with Montero? Full time catcher w/ Montero @ DH? But then that leaves out Morales, unless he plays first. And then that leaves out Smoak, who may be the deciding factor in this whole thing.

But I am definitely excited to see Zunino and Franklin, as well as the "Big 3." I think Hultzen will likely be the first of the 3 called up. I have my doubts that Walker will be called up this year, but would be excited if it happens.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I want at least a .500 record, but sadly I will probably be disappointed in the end.

Shaz

Reaction score
Guiterrez strikes out in 3 pitches for the opening at bat of the season?

Oy.........................

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Shaz":1v9wjpfp said:

You do know that IF he stays healthy he will have about 500 more, right? Maybe we could give him, I don't know like 4 or 5 entire games before you judge him?

The Outfield

Reaction score
Shaz":16rqy1u1 said:

And then he hit a 2-run single when it actually mattered.

Shaz

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":1p4ck3j6 said:
Shaz":1p4ck3j6 said:

You do know that IF he stays healthy he will have about 500 more, right? Maybe we could give him, I don't know like 4 or 5 entire games before you judge him?

Wasn't judging him

Calm yourself super-spark

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2oitt2tw said:
Why are Seager, Montero and Ackley batting 6,7 and 8 respectively? Seems odd.

I don't like Guti in the leadoff position.

Seager and Montero have some power and Ackley is capable of hitting for a good average. The idea is more power/rbi potential spread throughout the lineup rather than bunching them up in one spot.

nategreat

Reaction score
TheLargentLine":18lz4ru1 said:
peachesenregalia":18lz4ru1 said:
Why are Seager, Montero and Ackley batting 6,7 and 8 respectively? Seems odd.

I don't like Guti in the leadoff position.

Seager and Montero have some power and Ackley is capable of hitting for a good average. The idea is more power/rbi potential spread throughout the lineup rather than bunching them up in one spot.

Plus it takes the pressure off these young guys, batting further down the lineup.

Atradees

Reaction score
That was fun to watch! Felix had his magic; then began to fade. He loves to compete. Gave some drama at the end. He Wanted to stay in the game.

My biggest fear is the pitching. For all the talk of what great pitching the Ms have it let down alot last year. I really like Maurer and hope he can become

solid as the second starter. I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Atradees":3czephkr said:
I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.
That's a good thing then, since he's not the #2, Iwakuma is. Beavan is currently the #5.

As for the bats tonight, I never fail to marvel at the fact that everyone discounts the A's starter. King Felix was our opening night starter for a reason; he's our best pitcher. Anderson is the A's current best starter, and he was no slouch at all. Tonight's batting results were much more about Anderson being a pretty damned good pitcher than it was about our bats being no good.

hawker84

Reaction score
apparently you're not allowed to have negative comments about the mariners in this particular thread, so i say this.. i hope they can continue with the wins... recent history has shown they start out hot and fade fast.. let's hope that's a trend that ended last season. i'll give their bats a pass in this game, Anderson is one hell of a pitcher and always does well against us...

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nategreat":26fnqcr5 said:
So Si, you think Zunino will be called up this year? That would be great, I don't know what to expect as far as call-ups, but I would be excited to see that. He's much more of a catcher than Montero, and is a pretty solid bat from what I've heard. What do you think happens when he gets called up? Split starts with Montero? Full time catcher w/ Montero @ DH? But then that leaves out Morales, unless he plays first. And then that leaves out Smoak, who may be the deciding factor in this whole thing.

But I am definitely excited to see Zunino and Franklin, as well as the "Big 3." I think Hultzen will likely be the first of the 3 called up. I have my doubts that Walker will be called up this year, but would be excited if it happens.

I think he is up by July. Morales is here on a one year deal, and i imagine the club will look to trade him before the deadline (regardless of what Smoak does), then bring up Zunino and let him platoon (if not take the catcher position outright) with Montero between DH and behind the plate.

This team's strength is in its youth, so the Big three (or atleast two) should be joining the club by September, along with Franklin.

Nice win yesterday. I know that there was some talk about the M's not hitting, but that was the A's ace as well. Obviously you want to see more in offense, but its hard to assume it against a pitcher like that. give it a month.

Still, 1-0.. and our 178 million dollar pitcher looked the part against the defending AL West Champs.

Atradees

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2jxquhtn said:
Atradees":2jxquhtn said:
I also am not sold on Beaven or the current #2. I like the potential of the new bats. We will see I guess.
That's a good thing then, since he's not the #2, Iwakuma is. Beavan is currently the #5.

As for the bats tonight, I never fail to marvel at the fact that everyone discounts the A's starter. King Felix was our opening night starter for a reason; he's our best pitcher. Anderson is the A's current best starter, and he was no slouch at all. Tonight's batting results were much more about Anderson being a pretty damned good pitcher than it was about our bats being no good.

Beaven, Furbush and the #2 Iwakuma. Pretty much suck. (OR- I didn't risk spelling his name)

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawker84":289wq4ti said:
apparently you're not allowed to have negative comments about the mariners in this particular forum, so i say this.. i hope they can continue with the wins... recent history has shown they start out hot and fade fast.. let's hope that's a trend that ended last season. i'll give their bats a pass in this game, Anderson is one hell of a picher and always does well against us...

why cant you post something negative? I mean Beaven is still our 5th starter and Ibanez and Bay are on the bench instead of Hamilton and Swisher on the field. we started the game with 4 straight strikeouts.

everything you said is spot on.... this team needs alot to go right to finish .500. if it doesnt i imagine we are all going to want to vent.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Atradees":a57f0ivj said:
Jazzhawk":a57f0ivj said:
Atradees":a57f0ivj said:

Beaven, Furbush and the #2 Iwakuma. Pretty much suck. (OR- I didn't risk spelling his name)

It will go Felix, Iwakuma, Saunders, Maurer, Beaven... Iwakuma is a strange case. Performed well as a starter, posting a sub 4 ERA after being a disaster as a reliever (not the usual progression). As with much of the team, alot has to go well with the starters for the team to compete. But the pen is solid, and unique. If 2-5 can take the game into the 7th for most of their starts the team will be competitive.

Beaven is going to give way to which ever one of the big three come up first. He did make some adjustments to his approach and had a decent Spring keeping the ball down. But the fences are in at Safeco now, if he tried to use the expansive outfield to get outs he's going to struggle

Latest posts