Flynn traded for 2 picks - via Glazer/Twitter

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3oc4c05v said:
pehawk":3oc4c05v said:
That's why I'm pretty sure the deal was 100% about doing right by Flynn. It's just an unnecessary this year to trade him...they didn't have to yet.

Sorry, but the NFL is a business. People get fired if they don't perform, the Hawks did it because it was best for the Hawks...... Clearly Flynn was only worth two 5th round picks. The NFL dictated that LOUD AND CLEAR....there was one team interested in Flynn. He may be worth a first round pick to many in the .net, but that is fantasy land.

There is no doubt that the market for Flynn was only worth next to nothing, a fifth next year is worth a sixth on this one, the 2015th pick is worth nothing. What is not clear is why Seattle agreed to sell.

Without extra picks this year we basically loose a pick if we draft a qb, the 2.5m cap space we save won't buy a decent backup free agent this year. The cardinals get a quarterback that is bounds better than anything they were going to. The only thing the Seahawks get for this trade is some cap relief NEXT year, about 4m.

They did this trade to do right by Flynn and to the detriment of the Seahawks. I do not like it.

strohmin

Reaction score
I think this is more than just draft picks and cap space. I think this sends a message to future free agents that as long as you do what is in the best interest of the team, the team will take into consideration your best interest.

edogg23

Reaction score
As a seahawks fan I don't like this deal. As stated 100 times already, I think having a great backup is worth more than what we got.

With that said, I am glad Flynn is going somewhere else to get another shot. The guy really hasn't been able to catch a break his whole career, college included, yet when given the chance he is great. I am confident he is going to be a great qb in this league, even on a team as crappy as the Raiders.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Just heard on the radio, Flynn is actually getting increased guaranteed money from the Raiders? That is what the hold up was? Not how much he was going to cut from his contract, but what he was adding to it? Crazy if this is true.

mikeak

Reaction score
They made it a three year agreement. While they increased guaranteed money it was most likely this years salary turned into signing bonus. Makes it guaranteed but also lowers the cap hit.

Win-win

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yeah, I assume they'll be able to spread his 2013 salary (now fully guaranteed) over the life of the contract, which helps their cap in '13. His restructured contract pays him the same overall money per Sando.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1u6q5zmn said:
Bigpumpkin":1u6q5zmn said:
Hindsight is always 20/20....John and Pete will be "crucified" on .net if RW goes down!! If he says healthy.......we'll call them geniuses!
the average number of QB's that don't miss a single game all season due to injury: 1 out of 4. It's not genius. They better come up with a good backup. Having Flynn was worth more than two fifths.
If it's a salary dump, then the signing was stupid in the first place. They rationalized it as they're spending X dollars on a starter and a backup. That amount was actually pretty low for a starter and backup. So saying they need to dump salary is saying they screwed up getting Flynn.

If the market can't bear more, they did this as a favor to Flynn. That I can live with, provided it doesn't bite us in the butt when, not if, Wilson goes down.

Um, that wasn't true the first time you posted it. You should stop saying it.

McGruff

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":3atfvasz said:
T-Sizzle":3atfvasz said:
pehawk":3atfvasz said:
That's why I'm pretty sure the deal was 100% about doing right by Flynn. It's just an unnecessary this year to trade him...they didn't have to yet.

Sorry, but the NFL is a business. People get fired if they don't perform, the Hawks did it because it was best for the Hawks...... Clearly Flynn was only worth two 5th round picks. The NFL dictated that LOUD AND CLEAR....there was one team interested in Flynn. He may be worth a first round pick to many in the .net, but that is fantasy land.

There is no doubt that the market for Flynn was only worth next to nothing, a fifth next year is worth a sixth on this one, the 2015th pick is worth nothing. What is not clear is why Seattle agreed to sell.

Without extra picks this year we basically loose a pick if we draft a qb, the 2.5m cap space we save won't buy a decent backup free agent this year. The cardinals get a quarterback that is bounds better than anything they were going to. The only thing the Seahawks get for this trade is some cap relief NEXT year, about 4m.

They did this trade to do right by Flynn and to the detriment of the Seahawks. I do not like it.

Savings next year is between 6.5-8.5 million. And 3.5 million this year.

And again . . . Screw the value chart. 5th round picks are 5th round picks regardless of what year they are in.

And we have extra picks, inc.uding a 7th round pick we acquired for Tavaris Jackson. In fact, we've got 3 extra picks this year, and less spots than ever for rookies to make the team. picking a QB or two this year is easy pickings.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yilps9n said:
LymonHawk":2yilps9n said:
I'm not saying the QB is not the most important player on the field; only that he's not the ONLY player on the field. History backs me up; a backup QB can get you to the SB.

History does not back you up. You pointed out the exception, not the rule. If 10 of the previous 15 Superbowl winners were with journeymen backups, then your point would be valid. Just saying that it's POSSIBLE that we can get to the Superbowl with a backup QB because it happened 5-6 times in 40 years doesn't mean anything other than it's statistically possible.

Here are the facts, the last 10 Superbowl winning QB's were;

Brady
Brady
Roethlisberger
Petyon Manning
Eli Manning
Roethlisberger
Brees
Rodgers
Eli Manning
Flacco

ALL of these QB's are considered Elite QB's, or at least in the top 6-7 of the entire league. Can you get the SB without an elite QB? Sure. What are the odds of that happening? Slim to none.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention Brady, he was also a backup.

When you say we cannot make it to the SB with RW, that is an absolute. I pointed out that it is not an absolute.

Backup QBs have taken their team(s) to the SB in the past, and most likely will do it again. Fact!!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Last year, there was no real market for Flynn. Even his old OC wasn't interested in grabbing him at a reasonable price (since we gave him a pretty low-end deal for a starter).

He gets beat out by a rookie, albeit a rookie phenom who would have been out damn near any journeyman the NFL had to offer.

This year, there is again no real market for Flynn, and trades are complicated by his cap number and the number of average guys flooding the market (Fitzpatrick, Kolb, Hasselbeck, Campbell, etc.). Jags aren't interested. Bills picked up Kolb. Vikes picked up Cassel. The potential landing spots for Flynn were almost nil. The only real suitor has an ex-GB guy at GM who knows Flynn better than most front office guys might, and even HE doesn't want to give up more than a couple of future late-rounders for him.

If all of the above isn't a plethora of evidence that plenty of .NET folks vastly overrated Flynn, I don't know what is. Face it, guys... he was NEVER worth a high pick. He has NEVER proven himself to be a starting caliber QB. The fact that we rented him for a year and still turned it into two extra picks in a market when we had next to no leverage is outstanding.

As for the complaints about what might happen if we lose Wilson for a few games in October, well, I'll just say that I'm not in the camp that thinks that Flynn would have us go 3-1 while everyone else would result in a 0-4 record over that stretch. I don't trust Flynn any more than I trust Thigpen or some other journeyman (or even precocious rookie, for that matter).

Lady Talon

Reaction score
2 future 5ths is better then having them now. How many roster spots do we have this year to accomodate draft picks? Not many. We could draft a Sherman in this years 5th and he could end up getting cut. If anything drafting a good 5th would be more useful after a deep playoff/possible superbowl run because there WILL be cap casualties nin the aftermath and therefore more holes to fill with JS and PC's miracle picks.

I don't like any of the FA backups. But I wouldn't care if JS pursued them. I'd personally rather take my chances in the 4th round or later and target someone like Jordan Rodgers, who is mobile, improved during his college career, and had success on a weak Vanderbilt team. I want somebody with a chip on their shoulder that's going to want to prove he can make it as a possible starter in the NFL and LEARN from a master at bettering his game in Russell Wilson.

Wish Flynn success, but the NFL is a business and a hard one. We need the cap savings to reload next year. Locking up Thomas, and hopefully Sherman is that much easier without a 2 year, $11m dollar insurance policy like a monkey on our back. Is it a gamble? Absolutely. But a gambler isn't someone who just risks everything willy nilly. A gambler is what Kenny Roger's described, someone who "knows when to hold 'em, and knows when to fold 'em."

I would rather be in position to keep our team together and dominant for multiple SB tries then to find out whether Flynn's very small sample size of starts translates to his walking on water with concrete shoes while chewing gum and generating enough TDs to feed 5000 receivers, or disappoints as a grossly overpaid crank yanking grump with elbow issues that would make us wish RW played through injury.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3e99c5q6 said:
Last year, there was no real market for Flynn. Even his old OC wasn't interested in grabbing him at a reasonable price (since we gave him a pretty low-end deal for a starter).

He gets beat out by a rookie, albeit a rookie phenom who would have been out damn near any journeyman the NFL had to offer.

This year, there is again no real market for Flynn, and trades are complicated by his cap number and the number of average guys flooding the market (Fitzpatrick, Kolb, Hasselbeck, Campbell, etc.). Jags aren't interested. Bills picked up Kolb. Vikes picked up Cassel. The potential landing spots for Flynn were almost nil. The only real suitor has an ex-GB guy at GM who knows Flynn better than most front office guys might, and even HE doesn't want to give up more than a couple of future late-rounders for him.

If all of the above isn't a plethora of evidence that plenty of .NET folks vastly overrated Flynn, I don't know what is. Face it, guys... he was NEVER worth a high pick. He has NEVER proven himself to be a starting caliber QB. The fact that we rented him for a year and still turned it into two extra picks in a market when we had next to no leverage is outstanding.

As for the complaints about what might happen if we lose Wilson for a few games in October, well, I'll just say that I'm not in the camp that thinks that Flynn would have us go 3-1 while everyone else would result in a 0-4 record over that stretch. I don't trust Flynn any more than I trust Thigpen or some other journeyman (or even precocious rookie, for that matter).

Man, I had been talking like that all year last year and got slammed for it..... :34853_doh:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":aga1m9wx said:
volsunghawk":aga1m9wx said:

Man, I had been talking like that all year last year and got slammed for it..... :34853_doh:

edited for language attacking poster

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1haxhi2t said:
T-Sizzle":1haxhi2t said:
volsunghawk":1haxhi2t said:

True, I must find a new thing to obsess about.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
volsunghawk":340odj3v said:

I don't necessarily trust/distrust Flynn over a four game stretch. I certainly trust him more than a guy like Thigpen, Leinart, or Young. I am not sure if Flynn is a 3-1 type guy, but I wouldn't doubt he is a 2-2 type backup. I think the amount of money you are paying for a backup that is notably better than Flynn isn't any different than the money you are saving by trading him. That is the catch for me, on that side of the equation. I don't think Flynn is a world beater by any stretch, and never was sold on him as a starter in this league. I just think he is marginally better than anybody out on the market at this point in time, and it isn't exactly cost prohibitive to keep him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2rvn5uee said:

Bingo.

Not sure why some Hawk fans add extra talent to certain players just because they're on our roster. If Flynn was the backup QB in Detroit or somewhere, no one on here would second guess a 5th rounder and conditional pick for a journeyman backup with all of two games starting under his belt.

Exittium

Reaction score
i don't agree with this move at all... period, i love when the hawks get over confident in their QB, yes lets sacrifice some quality and depth to our QB.... "shrug" look at Hassleback.. once he was injured.. suck fest, T jack.. Injured suckfest.. These are times which leaves me thinking.. wtf are they thinking? Those draft picks being "Late" doesn't help almost makes me at times rethink of weather I'm a fan or just someone who's now annoyed and tired of everything Washington State based team thinking they'll go far with the MINIMUM

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Exittium":1m3u228i said:
i don't agree with this move at all... period, i love when the hawks get over confident in their QB, yes lets sacrifice some quality and depth to our QB.... "shrug" look at Hassleback.. once he was injured.. suck fest, T jack.. Injured suckfest.. These are times which leaves me thinking.. wtf are they thinking? Those draft picks being "Late" doesn't help almost makes me at times rethink of weather I'm a fan or just someone who's now annoyed and tired of everything Washington State based team thinking they'll go far with the MINIMUM

This is all based on the assumption that Flynn is really quite decent. What if he isn't? And what if they replace Flynn with somebody even better?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Exittium":yy0jbj22 said:

Wow. This comment is like you haven't even paid attention to what John and Pete have accomplished in three years. If you have this little of faith from the two guys that have turned over an entire roster that was 4-10 and going nowhere to a Superbowl favorite team, then there's no hope for you.

Latest posts