Colt McCoy?

BGHawk

Reaction score
I think we will keep Flynn, It does not make sense to get rid of the guy, only to look at a market of washed up QBs. He costs a bit much, but I think he will agree to a restructured contract to be part of a winning team.

Hiko

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3k3gr5x6 said:
Some of you need to seriously reset your criteria here. You're applying starter-type qualifiers to backup-type evaluations. If you're waiting for the Seahawks go out on the street and pick up a QB with a cannon arm, who runs like Russell Wilson, has a winning NFL pedigree, and is looking for a job as a backup, you're going to be waiting a long time. Colt McCoy would be an ideal #2 QB here. You don't need an Elway-type arm to execute this offense. McCoy has nearly every attribute you would look for in a capable backup QB for this system. He has very good accuracy in the short/intermediate zones, he throws extremely well when rolling out (which the Seahawks do a lot of), particularly to his right, he's mobile, he's a tough runner, he has a solid football IQ, he's been in a system with WCO principles, he's an outstanding teammate and locker room guy, he's only 26, and the fact that he left as the all-time leader in wins by a QB in FBS history shows that leading his team to victory when called upon is not a foreign concept to McCoy. All his time in Cleveland proved is that he's probably not going to set the world on fire if you ask him to be a starter on an untalented team with two completely different coaching staffs during his 1.5 years as a starter - with a league-wide lockout right in the middle of it all. None of that would apply here. McCoy showed some nice promise as a rookie, including wins over the Saints (defending SB champs, on the road) and Patriots in his 2nd and 3rd career starts (64 combined points), against a brutal schedule. Then the Browns dumped their coaching staff, the lockout ensued, after which McCoy had all of about a month to completely learn new HC Pat Shurmer's offense before the start of the season, with rookie Greg Little as his top WR, and a debilitated Peyton Hillis as his top RB. Nobody could have succeeded under those circumstances. Nobody.

The Seahawks should be so lucky to get a guy like McCoy to back up Russell Wilson, never mind potentially getting him for free.

A lot of that is Texas Longhorm-era urban myth (including him being an outstanding teammate and locker room guy - he ruffled a lot of feathers with his "I threw the ball in the dirt on purpose" comments after the Denver game this year), and as I said before no amount of excuses make the guy have the requisite NFL skills to come in and sustain a winning team. Which is essentially what you want from a backup - the ability to carry the team for a while when the starter's down. Or at least not sink it with suck.

But I'll gladly admit that this is probably personal since I try to watch all the Seahawks games and I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than have to watch Colt McCoy flounder around out there again for a team I'm rooting for.

two dog

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with any retreads. Bring in a couple of rookies and let 'em compete.
If you don't want to lose draft capital, Jordan Rogers and Jeff Tuel could be had for
a 7th, more likely FA. B.J. Daniels will almost surely be a Free Agent.

If you like intrigue, try Collin Klein. He would be an emergency QB only, but would
be interesting as a fullback in training or maybe a tight end (he is 6'5") and will almost
surely be available as a free agent. Have you watched him? Guy's a baller.

With a team like the Seahawks, free agents will be lined up over the mountain, at
least those who aren't afraid to compete.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I highly doubt we trade more than a 7th for McCoy, if that. He will be released since CLE just signed Campbell.

We probably see whats available in the draft. (I don't really want Tyler Thigpen)

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 1m
Would have been a great fit for #Seahawks RT @JasonLaCanfora The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Another QB on the move.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora5m
The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Another QB on the move

ivotuk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3ggl94qq said:
Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 1m
Would have been a great fit for #Seahawks RT @JasonLaCanfora The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Another QB on the move.

Oh crap! I was hoping we would get him. That young man played his heart out on a crap term versus some of the best defenses in the NFL! This one hurts!.

Draft us a new back up John! Jordan Rodgers will do just fine :D (Matt Scott will go too high for us to get him)

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
Terms of deal: Browns agree to trade QB Colt McCoy and 6th-round pick to San Francisco for 5th- and 7th-round picks. Niners have new backup.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN10m
Source: The 49ers give up their 7th-round pick and their fifth for Colt McCoy and Browns' sixth. (So 49ers move back nine spots).

Basis4day

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2h6e0vgr said:
Some of you need to seriously reset your criteria here. You're applying starter-type qualifiers to backup-type evaluations. If you're waiting for the Seahawks go out on the street and pick up a QB with a cannon arm, who runs like Russell Wilson, has a winning NFL pedigree, and is looking for a job as a backup, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Well said.

Hiko

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2hwi59s8 said:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
Terms of deal: Browns agree to trade QB Colt McCoy and 6th-round pick to San Francisco for 5th- and 7th-round picks. Niners have new backup.

Rest assured Hawk fans that if ever the day arises where the Niners need to rely on Colt McCoy, you can sleepwalk to the division title.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
There's five games in the 49ers schedule that even with McCoy they should be the favorites.

It's a great move for them, IMO, but I'm ok with the Seahawks not making a move. Now with the 9ers getting their #2 QB and a bunch of other teams gabbing theirs, there should be some good value with mid-round QBs in the draft.

12thMan1

Reaction score
The last time the Hawks played Colt Mccoy he whooped us 6-3. He's quality backup material :D

NinerLifer

Reaction score
12thMan1":1lzg8q08 said:
The last time the Hawks played Colt Mccoy he whooped us 6-3. He's quality backup material :D

Not sure I would have brought that up either way LOL. ;)