Aprés Flynn, Abraham?

ensett

Reaction score
I think we need to save that money to bring in a backup QB

mikeak

Reaction score
No

OK to expand - we are bringing in a backup and we are resigning Kam and we roll money over to next year to resign Sherman

bloodkingg

Reaction score
mikeak":azll2xhz said:
No

OK to expand - we are bringing in a backup and we are resigning Kam and we roll money over to next year to resign Sherman

How would a one year deal for Abraham this year affect Sherman's deal next year?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bloodkingg":1vicd87s said:
mikeak":1vicd87s said:
No

How would a one year deal for Abraham this year affect Sherman's deal next year?
Just like he said, everything we don't spend this year is rolled over to next year

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Just because Flynn is gone does not mean we're going on a spending spree. As others said, this will just help current deals in the works get finalized and it will allow us to save some money for next year.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2eckwru9 said:
bloodkingg":2eckwru9 said:
mikeak":2eckwru9 said:
No

Just like he said, everything we don't spend this year is rolled over to next year

Does the cap space become more valuable if it's unspent then? If we have 5 million in cap space, spend 2 million on Abraham, then we'd be at 3 million. Then he'd come off the books and we'd be back at 5 million for next year. Explain to me my gap in logic please.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bloodkingg":q1gvif0v said:
Does the cap space become more valuable if it's unspent then? If we have 5 million in cap space, spend 2 million on Abraham, then we'd be at 3 million. Then he'd come off the books and we'd be back at 5 million for next year. Explain to me my gap in logic please.
If we have 5 million unspent this year, we are allowed to take that 5 million in cap space and roll it to next years cap, adding 5 million more dollars to what we can spend next year.

It's like AT&T roll over minutes. If you a 1000 minute month plan and you only use 500 minutes, then you add 500 minutes to the next month, you would then get 1500 minutes for the next month.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3kqo2kw5 said:
bloodkingg":3kqo2kw5 said:
If we have 5 million unspent this year, we are allowed to take that 5 million in cap space and roll it to next years cap, adding 5 million more dollars to what we can spend next year.

It's like AT&T roll over minutes. If you a 1000 minute month plan and you only use 500 minutes, then you add 500 minutes to the next month, you would then get 1500 minutes for the next month.

Crazy. Wow ok, yeah don't spend anything, I agree. Thanks.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bloodkingg":38kfg1y2 said:

That 2 million we spent on Abraham would not be added to the top of next year's cap. It would be a part of next year's original cap. We would only be adding 3 million on top of the cap, not the full 5.

So instead of say, 135 million, we would have 133 million if we spent 2 on abraham this year and the cap was originally set at 130. The money spent this year does not roll over, it is just freed up in the original cap number.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bloodkingg":12mnmbta said:
Yep, no problem

And if I got something wrong, someone please correct me

sutz

Reaction score
No to Abraham. We've added enough vets to the D-line. Draft a couple of rooks to groom and coach up.

We may do something more in FA, but I would assume they're done signing DL until the draft.

An OL or a backup QB seem more likely, if anything. Personally, I'd focus on the draft. We have 10 picks. We could find a decent backup QB and depth for several positions.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
HawkFan72":29d5vuqg said:
bloodkingg":29d5vuqg said:

That 2 million we spent on Abraham would not be added to the top of next year's cap. It would be a part of next year's original cap. We would only be adding 3 million on top of the cap, not the full 5.

So instead of say, 135 million, we would have 133 million if we spent 2 on abraham this year and the cap was originally set at 130. The money spent this year does not roll over, it is just freed up in the original cap number.

Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

kidhawk

Reaction score
bloodkingg":3stz0muv said:
Is that total cap number going to come back down? If we saved 10 million this year, would our cap stay fixed at 140 million forever (10 million more than other teams)? Or would it come back down to even out league play and then crush us with salaries that we bought?

The cap figure each year is set by the NFL. When a team rolls over money, it is only on the books for that particular season. Now if they have leftover again, they can re-roll that money over to the following year, so in essence, it's always there, but only if we don't spend it.

Sidenote, I do not know if there is a limit on rolling money in the CBA. It's currently allowed but I don't know if that continues through the entire 10 year CBA or if it has a termination date. I haven't heard of a termination date for doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
bloodkingg":3mnucl7t said:
HawkFan72":3mnucl7t said:
bloodkingg":3mnucl7t said:

Eventually it will come back down. I believe the cap rollover is only available for a couple more years. I might be wrong though.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":26y0rsa6 said:
bloodkingg":26y0rsa6 said:
Yep, no problem

And if I got something wrong, someone please correct me

Nope - thanks for elaborating on it on my behalf :)

People forget it / don't understand it right because it didn't use to work this way. It is a huge thing and lowers the reasons to resign players early (you have to weigh it against letting them hit FA and being pissed off) but ability to take unused cap and putting it on next years cap number is huge and has an impact on decisions made.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
kidhawk":2pmsi4zm said:
bloodkingg":2pmsi4zm said:

The cap figure each year is set by the NFL. When a team rolls over money, it is only on the books for that particular season. Now if they have leftover again, they can re-roll that money over to the following year, so in essence, it's always there, but only if we don't spend it.

Sidenote, I do not know if there is a limit on rolling money in the CBA. It's currently allowed but I don't know if that continues through the entire 10 year CBA or if it has a termination date. I haven't heard of a termination date for doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

Makes sense. Thanks. So if we save this money for Sherman next year, then we're really going all in next year because after that we won't have any money to rollover and will have to release a certain amount of money to get back under the cap.

I like the crew we have now, don't think we need more necessarily. Can make a run for the super bowl this year, then pay our guys, go for it again, then at that point it's in JS's hands. Presumably trying to get younger and cheaper while not compromising talent.

Latest posts