StevenHAWKing

StevenHAWKing

Reaction score
Its from 06'... sorry im a rook and didn't specify in the heading

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks. Just watched the whole thing.

Some things I forgot about that team:

-Shaun should have been a terrible running back based on many facets of his play, but man did he make up for it with his cut-making ability, burst, vision, and pad level. For a guy that went down so easily most of the time, he shrugged off a lot of tackles in the open field because he kept his pads so low.

-Really miss D-Jack. I always knew he was a great possession receiver but he was a better athlete than I remember.

-Jerramy Stevens drove fans crazy, but he stepped up big in some of our biggest playoff wins. The opening TD in that game is a play only Stevens could have made. He was frustrating, but I wish we'd get a TE in the next couple drafts with the "wow" moments he provided.

-Officials screwed us in that game every bit as bad as the SB. Thankfully the Panthers played a miserable game and it didn't matter.

-I know the stats say Wagner had a better rookie year, but Tatupu did more for that defense than Wagner did for ours in 2012, IMO.

-Kind of amazing how effective that defense was considering that it was loaded with no-names, and all but just a few of them declined immediately after that season.

-Matt really was an elite QB back then. I'm surprised how mobile he looked. I think I'd take 2005 Matt Hasselbeck over 2012 Matt Ryan.

-While I like the current team much more than the 2005 squad, one thing I vastly prefer about the 2005 version was the pace and rhythm which their offense played at. Today, our offense snaps the ball with 1 second on the play clock. Back then, they hustled to the line with 20 seconds to go and snapped the ball almost immediately. They huddled up between plays, but the pace felt very no-huddle. I think that's the perfect pace for an offense to be optimal- something I wish Pete Carroll would learn.

el capitan

Reaction score
Isn't HFA fun, shame the Falcons are half decent and play in a lousy division.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":dwgwg1lo said:
-I know the stats say Wagner had a better rookie year, but Tatupu did more for that defense than Wagner did for ours in 2012, IMO.

-While I like the current team much more than the 2005 squad, one thing I vastly prefer about the 2005 version was the pace and rhythm which their offense played at. Today, our offense snaps the ball with 1 second on the play clock. Back then, they hustled to the line with 20 seconds to go and snapped the ball almost immediately. They huddled up between plays, but the pace felt very no-huddle. I think that's the perfect pace for an offense to be optimal- something I wish Pete Carroll would learn.

Agree about the 'effect' of Tatupu, but that's also because that defense needed a player like him so much more. Wagner was great, but this defense was already pretty good the previous year. Wagner was able to step in and make it a little better, but mostly, stabilize things to let everyone else play to their potential.

As for the offense, I also agree on the pace of play. This is one area I hope to see improvement. I loved the pace the old team played at on O, and it was always a Holmgren trademark. I would love to see Bevell and Wilson move the team to a pace like that again.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
If we win the NFC championship again, they need to make sure to give pete the gatorade bath. Obviously bad luck that holmy didnt get it!

rjdriver

Reaction score
Thought I would skip around and watch a few highlights. Nope. Watched every second of it. One of my favorite days ever (I watched on TV from Utah).

Even though Hass digressed rapidly, I was reminded why I loved him!

The Walter Jones Pancake play in the first is one of my favorite Hawk plays EVER. Think it's around :30

Thanks for the link!

ParisPC07

Reaction score
I was 16 years old. Standing on the under-21 side of the Brew 'n Cue in Mountain Home, Idaho watching on an old-school huge big screen. I remember just standing there watching the final score and not being able to breathe. I celebrated with Wildcat, as far as I know the only other fan in town. That guy would get me a hat every year when he made the pilgrimage to Seattle from when I was like 8 years old on until I was a grown-up.

I love this team.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Wow, just started watching this and a few things jumped out at me...

- Seeing Paul Allen raise the 12th Man Flag must've been an amazing thing to see in person! The energy coming through the TV was insane enough, can't imagine actually being there.

- I know it's not his fault but... I hate seeing Etric Pruitt hyping up the crowd. It would be just a few weeks later that Pruitt would be a big reason why the Hawks should have almost lost XL.

- I forgot about Andre Dyson!

- Forgot how amazing the catch by Seneca was.

- Joe Buck still sucked back then

- The Walter Jones block is the greatest block I've ever seen in my life

- LOFA!!!

Ahhh man this is gold. So many great memories.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Once Seneca caught that pass, you just knew we were about to go to the Super Bowl.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1vmnw0ea said:
Once Seneca caught that pass, you just knew we were about to go to the Super Bowl.

I thought the same exact damn thing just now! The roar of the crowd, the look on the players faces... it just seemed like that kind of gamebreaking play. Then BOOM! TD to Stevens on the very next play! Great stuff!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
NYCoug":138b602w said:

- LOFA!!!

Jones was FAST!! He had that Defensive player back on his heals before he knew what hit him!! What it would be like to get another gift like him!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
NYCoug":2eatfpi0 said:

- Seeing Paul Allen raise the 12th Man Flag must've been an amazing thing to see in person! The energy coming through the TV was insane enough, can't imagine actually being there.

- I know it's not his fault but... I hate seeing Etric Pruitt hyping up the crowd. It would be just a few weeks later that Pruitt would be a big reason why the Hawks should have almost lost XL.

- LOFA!!!

Man this is a sore point with me. Don't blame Pruitt for that, he was a young man thrown in to a very big game. THAT was all on the coaches, they should have told him about the fake as it was a favorite of Bill Cowhers. Cowhers saw the replacement safety and went after him with a play that has worked on much better safeties than Etric.

It's the same thing in the Rams game, the fake kick is all on Pete Carroll. Everybody knows that Jeff Fisher is famous for trick plays.

Edit: They need to hire me to investigate coaching trends and trick plays ;)

Also, I bought the 2005 DVD set from a guy named VAbeacheagle, great stuff. I mean I bought a trading card from him and it came with some DVDs. :D

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The things you can do with a beastly o-line and a pass rush.

Mostly serviceable playmakers everywhere. Still dominant.

Barthawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":6ojttafn said:
NYCoug":6ojttafn said:

- LOFA!!!

Man this is a sore point with me. Don't blame Pruitt for that, he was a young man thrown in to a very big game. THAT was all on the coaches, they should have told him about the fake as it was a favorite of Bill Cowhers. Cowhers saw the replacement safety and went after him with a play that has worked on much better safeties than Etric.

It's the same thing in the Rams game, the fake kick is all on Pete Carroll. Everybody knows that Jeff Fisher is famous for trick plays.

Edit: They need to hire me to investigate coaching trends and trick plays ;)

Also, I bought the 2005 DVD set from a guy named VAbeacheagle, great stuff. I mean I bought a trading card from him and it came with some DVDs. :D

I got the trading card and DVDs as well.. i watched the 05/06 season quite a bit in 08 and 09.. still get fired up.. It was like an outer body experience going up 17-0 and totally dominating the entire game.. glorious

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hass was very good within our system. But as good as he was, it was tiring and a bit un-nerving to watch how awkward and un-natural all of his movements were. Russ looks much more natural, has a quicker release, stronger arm, more mobility, etc, etc, etc.

I'm thankful we had Matt, but can you imagine Russell Wilson behind that OL? I think his rushing total would go down by a bunch...along with scrambling. Lynch would be a happy camper too!

JonRud

Reaction score
NYCoug":2rjilaph said:

You have no idea. The energy in the stadium once we realized it was Paul Allen was like Desmond forgetting to push the button. Everything just exploded at that moment. I still have tears in my eyes.