NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 pm
  • pinksheets, sorry, what is happening tomorrow that makes it a big day? So many dates, I'm losing track.

Edit: Oh never mind, tomorrow is the end of the time frame for minority owners to match the offer?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:17 pm
  • That's what it looks like. The trustee is supposedly submitting a motion to make the sale to Hansen official.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 pm
  • So tomorrow... After Hansen becomes an official minority owner of the Kings, that barrage of ignorance from Johnson gets snuffed by Hansen's power move?

And like Pink said, If the NBA okay'd him to bid on that 7%, they're going to approve him and that should give us all a nice breath of fresh air of where the NBA is leaning.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 pm
  • And even if Chris's PSA with the Maloofs was voted down, he'd still likely be granted minority ownership, which comes with Right of First Opportunity, before a sale to the Sacramento group was submitted and finalized. Hansen would have minority owner rights to have first dibs on buying the team at that point. Let's see what goes down tomorrow.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 pm
  • ^ epic.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:28 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:And even if Chris's PSA with the Maloofs was voted down, he'd still likely be granted minority ownership, which comes with Right of First Opportunity, before a sale to the Sacramento group was submitted and finalized. Hansen would have minority owner rights to have first dibs on buying the team at that point. Let's see what goes down tomorrow.

Man I really hope thats the case, but I just have a gut feeling that Sac-Town is gonna manage to come in and get the 7% at the last minute.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:18 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:And even if Chris's PSA with the Maloofs was voted down, he'd still likely be granted minority ownership, which comes with Right of First Opportunity, before a sale to the Sacramento group was submitted and finalized. Hansen would have minority owner rights to have first dibs on buying the team at that point. Let's see what goes down tomorrow.

Man I really hope thats the case, but I just have a gut feeling that Sac-Town is gonna manage to come in and get the 7% at the last minute.

Calm down

You are Chicken Little right now

Everything is going to be ok
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 pm
  • So if the Sonics do come back, does this mean that Franklin HS grad and Seattle native Silva won't be welcome on the team? :D

Oregon coach Dana Altman said he’s seen the type of speed and quickness that U of L has in its press before, but it’s 11 guys and they’re on the Ducks football team.

“It’s almost the same situation that our football team runs into when teams are trying to get ready for them,” Altman said. “They play so much faster and their team speed is different I don’t think teams can really get ready for our football team.”

Ironically Peyton Siva appreciated the comparison. Siva said he watched Oregon football “all the time” and he “cheered for them this whole year.”

“I love their style of play, they like to get out they like to run,” Siva said. “I love Oregon football – plus their jerseys are just the best in college, so why not root for them?"

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ulbeat ... n-keep-up/
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm
  • Those arena renderings are amazing!
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Snohomie wrote:If KJ's takeaway from Seattle's fiasco was that the team left because of fan support, we're golden. I don't believe that is his takeaway at all, but if it were true it would mean he has no idea what is important to the NBA and that would sink his chances of keeping the Kings.

Johnson's campaign has been run mostly on an emotional level. It probably sounds good to the Sacramento fans he works for, but the NBA isn't going to make this ruling based on such niceties. Owners will vote for a combination of:
    1.) Do I want to restrict my ability to sell to whatever solvent backer I choose?
    2.) Which move will add more value to my team?
    3.) Which owner do I like more? (probably only likely if prior relationship with the owner)
    4.) Do I want to give Seattle the middle finger or take the bulls eye sign off my back? (Clay Bennett only, though if any other NBA owner has a relationship with Sacramento that reverse could be in play)

KJ said the local $ was making an "aggressive bid" on the Kings, when they were 100 million below Hanson's bid - KJ lost all credibility at that point. KJ is a politician. He lies. Don't worry about what KJ says - you might as well listen to some wetbrain drunk on the street.
    DAMAGE FROM THE HARVIN DEBACLE RUNS DEEP FOR SEAHAWKS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/10/22/ ... -seahawks/
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:And which team will bring in more money? Seattle, unquestionably. Sac might be the 20th tv market based on tv households, but it ranks lower when you factor in economics like retail spending per capita, median income, unemployment, etc. etc. Not to even Seattle is going to get a huge TV deal that Sac couldn't dream of. The owners have to vote against economic interests in favor of some idea of fairness or sentimentality. Maybe they do, but I just haven't seen anything to suggest that's the direction they'll take. Maybe Sacramento, with its new ownership, stops being a revenue sharing beneficiary, but it's not going to be the wealthy luxury tax paying team that Hansen and Ballmer will look to field in Seattle. The NBA would unquestionably be losing money, at least in terms of what it could make, if they decide to forgo Seattle to keep a team in a market like Sacramento. Yeah they've got good attendance history, but that's not where the real money is, not anymore.

What a great post, pink. For those and other reasons, the fact of the matter is that if the Kings turn into the Sonics, all the teams in the NBA will increase in value by %30. This is hundreds of millions of $ the owners will be voting themselves when they vote to approve the Hanson sale.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 pm
  • strohmin wrote:I wish there was a way to show my appreciation to Chris Hansen for what he is doing for Seattle. Whatever happens, the guy is doing everything possible and making every right move he can to make this happen. The guy is my hero.

Chris Hanson will never have to buy another drink in Seattle for the rest of his life.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 pm
  • Any updates on the 7% purchase?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm
  • Is Horace Grant a Judge now, I see rejection coming.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm
  • Sacramento missed A deadline, but still have another two weeks to submit a bid for the 7%. If it comes in significantly higher (like $20 million cash) then Hansen will lose.

It's risky though because whoever buys it will just be praying the team stays or they're going to own an extra 7% of a team that's in Seattle. All in all it's not that significant other than publicity.
    BillHawks
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm
  • BillHawks wrote:Sacramento missed A deadline, but still have another two weeks to submit a bid for the 7%. If it comes in significantly higher (like $20 million cash) then Hansen will lose.

It's risky though because whoever buys it will just be praying the team stays or they're going to own an extra 7% of a team that's in Seattle. All in all it's not that significant other than publicity.

They have 2 weeks but they got exactly a week til they present their case, its not looking too tough on their end all of a sudden. Plus this "Dream Team" of investors they have hasn't even submitted an alternative offer to the NBA.

So, when is the next low blow from KJ coming? he's all of a sudden losing the PR battle he started.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:29 pm
  • I am now thoroughly confused by this whole 7% deal thing.......
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:39 pm
  • I saw a tweet earlier that said the deadline was April 1st. Better not be a joke.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:I am now thoroughly confused by this whole 7% deal thing.......

:13: The whole 2 more weeks to work it out thing has left me confused.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:50 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:I am now thoroughly confused by this whole 7% deal thing.......

From the linked article it mentioned that it is a three week process just to get approved by the NBA to purchase that seven percent.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.

Yes. I am not happy so much. I am too seriously! .. Kap is not a great leader period!! Hurt my heart and s**t my painfully. ..
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:I am now thoroughly confused by this whole 7% deal thing.......

From the linked article it mentioned that it is a three week process just to get approved by the NBA to purchase that seven percent.

I believe that was for outside parties. The minority owners still have about two weeks to put in a bid. The trustee/judge or whatever doesn't have to accept the bid even if it's higher than Hansen's, so it really would have to be something like $20 million in cash, right now.

Again, it isn't necessarily important for Hansen to win this outside of publicity. I'm actually not sure why any of the other minority owners would want to risk adding 7% to their stake in a team that could be moved.
    BillHawks
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 pm
  • Reports are that none of the minority owners have any plan to submit a bid. They still could, but it doesn't sound like they will.

Keep in mind if they cross Hansen and he is still awarded the team, he could pretty easily take most of their stake anyways by cashcalling to pay off all of the Kings' debt and to pay their share for the new arena in Seattle. Let's keep in mind, also, that these guys are minority owners for a reason. They aren't the high rollers, they might not have that money on hand to match or beat Hansen, and perhaps they're already negotiating with Hansen to sell him their shares before the capital calls start happening.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:06 pm
  • It's also worth noting that all of the talk of Sac's group's offer is that it will be strong, fair, competitive, etc., the same talk before we found out Mastrov sent the NBA $3.25 and some Outback Steakhouse gift certificates. I think it's unlikely the Sac group is planning on matching the Seattle offer dollar for dollar, instead counting on sentimentality and an obscene public subsidy to make up the difference. It won't and NBA owners will never tell the Maloofs they have to sell for less. The team is simply not worth as much in Sacramento and it just doesn't pencil out.

When Sacramento talks, Seattle spends. KJ slings mud, Hansen makes it rain. Chris has got this.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:It's also worth noting that all of the talk of Sac's group's offer is that it will be strong, fair, competitive, etc., the same talk before we found out Mastrov sent the NBA $3.25 and some Outback Steakhouse gift certificates. I think it's unlikely the Sac group is planning on matching the Seattle offer dollar for dollar, instead counting on sentimentality and an obscene public subsidy to make up the difference. It won't and NBA owners will never tell the Maloofs they have to sell for less. The team is simply not worth as much in Sacramento and it just doesn't pencil out.

When Sacramento talks, Seattle spends. KJ slings mud, Hansen makes it rain. Chris has got this.

This!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:10 pm
  • You shut your dirty whore mouth
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:19 am
  • I think we should all pull our money together and get Sac an authentic Sonics jersey for next season, we'll have to make it a hold over from the Kings though. I'm sure most those chumps are gonna be traded.

I really hope Cousins is one of 'em that's gone.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:21 am
  • I will cut you
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I think we should all pull our money together and get Sac an authentic Sonics jersey for next season, we'll have to make it a hold over from the Kings though. I'm sure most those chumps are gonna be traded.

I really hope Cousins is one of 'em that's gone.

I got five on it.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:43 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:You shut your dirty whore mouth

hheh! HEH! The troll's getting irate from informed logic. Now I know the Sonics are coming back! (knock wood, which I just did).
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:48 pm
  • Pinksheets - Even if the minority and/or local investors can muster the action to match the offer, Hanson can INCREASE his offer. Dude's a fricken billionaire. The Maloofs are pissing their inheritence away. They ain't turning down millions of dollars. If this mess turns into a bidding war, our boy wins. But it hasn't even got that far.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 pm
  • What some people don't understand is that Chris Hansen would not go out and try to buy 7% especially for as much money as he is if he wasn't confident the team would be coming here. (Hmmm lets see I think I am going to over pay for 7% of a team I dont think will move to seattle) yea dont think so.
    Sac has missed dead lines and showed un consistency in there own time lines. This is a done deal all that is going on right now from punk ass KJ is a puppet show its all politics.

Got me some new sonics gear and ready.
    RealDeal
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:44 pm
  • Was at the mall today waiting for my glasses. Man! There was a lot of Sonics gear out! Felt good just looking at em.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Pinksheets - Even if the minority and/or local investors can muster the action to match the offer, Hanson can INCREASE his offer. Dude's a fricken billionaire. The Maloofs are pissing their inheritence away. They ain't turning down millions of dollars. If this mess turns into a bidding war, our boy wins. But it hasn't even got that far.

I don't think Hansen can up his bid on it. But the 7% isn't really important in the grand scheme of things. In fact, it's almost certain that Hansen will win this with his initial bid BUT it still needs to be approved by the NBA.

RealDeal wrote:What some people don't understand is that Chris Hansen would not go out and try to buy 7% especially for as much money as he is if he wasn't confident the team would be coming here. (Hmmm lets see I think I am going to over pay for 7% of a team I dont think will move to seattle) yea dont think so.
    Sac has missed dead lines and showed un consistency in there own time lines. This is a done deal all that is going on right now from punk ass KJ is a puppet show its all politics.

Got me some new sonics gear and ready.

Whether Chris wins the auction or not doesn't really matter. This is $15.1 million (nothing to the ownership group) that shows that he is completely committed to the cause. The NBA will wait to approve/deny the sale until they vote on the majority as well. That way if the Kings stay in Sacramento Hansen doesn't own a minority share in something he has no interest in. The 7% is kind of a no-lose situation for Hansen.
    BillHawks
    NET Starter

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:38 pm
  • I'm still wondering why Mastrov/Ranadive/Jacobs haven't put forth a new number amount to the NBA yet.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 pm
  • I think maybe they're having second thoughts lol
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:52 pm
  • Wow this is low for Sonics fans to do.....A sonic fan bought the domain name/webpage for http://herewestay.org/ which is the slogan being used by Sac-Town in its move to keep the Kings and well......check it out for yourself. Pretty low for someone to do I believe.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:18 pm
  • Yeah, that's pretty lame.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 am
  • Pretty low I agree, but KJ opened Pandora's box the other day when he said Seattle didn't support the Sonics!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:33 pm
  • http://www.sonicsrising.com is now a part of the SBNation community. Good as time as ever to get involved in the discussion with those folks.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 pm
  • we gotta re-register don't we? and of course some other jerk took my name!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:16 pm
  • Sooo if anyones wondering, I'm "M E 2288" over there lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:27 pm
  • Make sure to have a Josh Portis avatar so I can recognize you.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Make sure to have a Josh Portis avatar so I can recognize you.

lol I got my hampster guy i used to have over here.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm
  • Man........I really hope we and them over there aren't counting their chickens too early. Still time for a lot to happen in this whole process.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:03 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Man........I really hope we and them over there aren't counting their chickens too early. Still time for a lot to happen in this whole process.

Now you're just attention whoring, no news came out today lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Man........I really hope we and them over there aren't counting their chickens too early. Still time for a lot to happen in this whole process.

Now you're just attention whoring, no news came out today lol

No, I'm talking about Sonics Rising officially being on SBNation now. What if the Sonics don't end up coming back, what do they do with the site? Does it stay on SBNation or does it go back to being a privately owned site? I'm just hoping people don't think now that since there is a official Sonics talking site that they think this is a done deal, still lots of work to do for Hansen and Co.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:37 pm
  • It would probably go back to a privately owned site or maybe it would stick around on SBNation until we finally get a team.

I don't see it as an affirmation that the Sonics deal is done, more of just a news source for the Sonics deal and eventually (hopefully) a news source for the team in general.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 pm
  • Brian Robinson said on Q13 that the move to SBNation doesn't mean the Kings are definitely coming to Seattle, but that Sonics fans are definitely here to stay. If somehow the Kings deal falls through, are you giving up? I'm not, and I don't think Chris is either.

That being said, we're probably getting the Kings.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information