Romo gets 6 year/108 mil extension

kearly

Reaction score
I like Romo. That said:

Al Davis -> Carson Palmer; Jerry Jones -> Tony Romo

Everyone knew that Oakland overpaid for Palmer, and the reason was clear- Al Davis knew he didn't have long to live and wanted to make one last push for a title. Jerry Jones is no spring chicken himself, and if he wants to build a new contending team from scratch he needed to start yesterday. I never blamed Romo in the past for all the 8-8 or 9-7 seasons, but pretty soon, they'll be having mediocre seasons because of Romo instead of having them despite him.

Here is what I hate about this deal. Tony Romo would have been a free agent next year. He would have hit the market a month before his 34th birthday. What's the going rate for a 34 year old QB, especially one with Romo's image problem? I'm thinking if Romo had been available in open free agency, you're looking at Kolb money, max.

Instead, they pay him close to Manning/Brees money, on a deal that keeps him under contract until he's almost 40. The soonest they can get out of the contract without eating dead money is 2019, Romo's age 38 season.

I've defended Jerry Jones many times, but this was a big mistake. At the very worst, you could lose Romo next offseason and still draft a QB like Manziel, Bridgewater, or Boyd in the 2014 draft by moving up. This was not only a poor long term decision, but a poor use of resources, IMO. If you are willing to give Romo that kind of money, you could at least wait til UFA because no other team would offer money like that.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Jones' biggest mistake wasn't the deal itself, but for painting himself into a corner and making it necessary:

John Clayton
@ClaytonESPN: The Cowboys had to do a Tony Romo deal. They had $24,000 of cap room. Plus, they needed to secure their starting QB. Much needed.

And with the way Romo's old contract was structured he couldn't be franchised next year. Romo had all the leverage.

The Radish

Reaction score
Hey Kip they could lose Romo next year and not have a decent backup for him and no money to get one. I wouldn't wish bad on Romo but that would really chap the 'Boys chances.

Romo's been lucky but if he gets hurt during that time they are in a huge world of hurt.

Not that that's a bad thing.

:roll:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Should have traded Romo to KC for their #1 and used a 3rd/4th to acquire Flynn. Would they really have been worse off?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Shadowhawk":1jas31ie said:
$55 million guaranteed. $55 MILLION GUARANTEED.

The Cowboys will never win another championship until Jerry Jones either dies or swallows his pride and hires a GM.

This is pure, delicious Shadenfreude, and I'm lovin' every minute of it. The irony of it is this is one thing both Seahawks fans and 49ers fans are equally ROFL'ing about.

I'd speculate Romo has to have incriminating picture of Jerrah to pull this contract off, but urp, seriously, ughhhhh... gah! :pukeface:

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Love this move. Too bad we won't get to see the Cowboys this season, or in the playoffs so I could truly enjoy it...

MrCarey

Reaction score
Romo is a great QB. People have ridiculous hate for him because he hasn't won any SBs as a Cowboys QB and the spotlight is on him 24/7. I also think he has just been WAY overpaid. Should have been guaranteed a lot less. Looking at the market, and the future, Jerry made the right choice keeping him around. The money was the only problem.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MrCarey":1ej68ity said:
Romo is a great QB. People have ridiculous hate for him because he hasn't won any SBs as a Cowboys QB and the spotlight is on him 24/7. I also think he has just been WAY overpaid. Should have been guaranteed a lot less. Looking at the market, and the future, Jerry made the right choice keeping him around. The money was the only problem.

He is a great QB, but they overpaid? K.

Throwdown

Reaction score
MrCarey":cyb2bru3 said:

He's won one playoff game, and is the biggest choke artist this planet has ever seen, "great" isn't a word i'd use to describe Romo.

Sac

Reaction score
I don't know, Throw. I think it's pretty great that he's only won one playoff game and that he chokes all the time.

You disagree?

MrCarey

Reaction score
Hard to win it all when the team around you is terrible. He wasn't scoring all those points against his own team. He had a few too many turnovers, but that is him putting too much pressure on himself because his defense won't do their job. Needs a healthy run game, too.

rjdriver

Reaction score
108 million per playoff win. Wow that's a lot.

But.

That's his quarterback (sniff, sniff). That's....his......quarterback. (tear streams slowly down cheeck.)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Greenhell":2jtazco2 said:
Jerah jones is an idiot!

No link, just saw breaking news on NFL Network.
Jerry Jones is the worst GM in the NFL and maybe in all of pro sports!
I heard when Tony Romo signed his 6 year contract he saw his shadow which means 6 more years of choking for him and the cowboys! :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MrCarey":w25zohuu said:
Romo is not a great QB, he is a great FANTASY FOOTBALL QB! And he has had some good teams around him. Romo is a choke artist plain and simple, his playoff record tells he whole story!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":2blo7wos said:
It's on the NFL.com website as well. Front page. I for one am happy to see it. More Romo means no worries about a Cowboy Championship anytime in the near future.
BINGO! :th2thumbs: