Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Post subject: Re: Would you draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:02 pm 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:
T-Sizzle wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:

He will not be a Seahawk. I guarantee it.

2. Our corners are long. He isn't. It's that simple. Seattle was just at a pro day for a 6'3" receiver suggesting he play defense.

Would you expect our slot corner to be long? If so then I buy your argument.

Write down a list of corners Pete has had in Seattle that were under 5'11". It will be a short one. Pun intended.

Would you expect our slot corner to be long?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:14 pm 
NET Rookie

Would not draft this guy in any round. He is a waste of oxygen.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:11 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

T-Sizzle wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:
T-Sizzle wrote:

Would you expect our slot corner to be long? If so then I buy your argument.

Write down a list of corners Pete has had in Seattle that were under 5'11". It will be a short one. Pun intended.

Would you expect our slot corner to be long?

They have not been short for 3 years now. 5'11 is the shortest one. Pete experimented with slim, but traded him for Clinton Mcdonall before the season began, IIRC.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:45 pm 
NET Veteran

kearly wrote:
Sherman and perhaps Browner started in the slot before moving up, if memory serves. IIRC, Seattle had to trade Kelly Jennings to get Browner a starting gig. Maxwell and Lane (both six foot plus) played a lot of slot corner last year.

Shortest corner Pete has acquired is Walter Thurmond, who is listed at 5'11".

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure Browner was purely an outside CB since he took over WT3 in training camp and Sherman was also always an outside guy, too. IIRC, Sherman would come into the game in nickel situations rookie year and they would bump WT3 inside. (started doing that against the NY Giants, IIRC, when Trufant went on IR with a back injury. One games later WT3 broke his leg and opened the door for Sherm.)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 am 
NET Veteran

seahawks875 wrote:
The guy is a pot head, so does that mean you can't draft him? No, the guys a ball hawk and just makes plays, I would love the pick at 56

Except for the part where smoking pot means not seeing the field. Isn't it something absurd like four games per offense? If his head were on straight otherwise but I would be shocked if someone takes a shot on him in the second.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:48 am 
NET Veteran

seahawks875 wrote:
So just because he is a pothead means we can't draft him, the guy is a future star and is a huge playmaker. We need to draft him 2nd round.

You won't change their mind. The majority of .net is put off by the thugs we bring into town. They want good guys, they are very much in the Ruskell mind set. Even last year guys were calling for Pete's head......people hated when he was hired.

That is part of why people wouldn't want him drafted.

The other part is he is not a 2nd round pick. I'd be cool with round 5 or later though.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 am 
NET Veteran

T-Sizzle wrote:
seahawks875 wrote:
So just because he is a pothead means we can't draft him, the guy is a future star and is a huge playmaker. We need to draft him 2nd round.

You won't change their mind. The majority of .net is put off by the thugs we bring into town. They want good guys, they are very much in the Ruskell mind set. Even last year guys were calling for Pete's head......people hated when he was hired.

The other part is he is not a 2nd round pick. I'd be cool with round 5 or later though.

This is one of the most sweeping misrepresentations of .net opinion I've seen in a while.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:46 am 
NET Rookie

How hard is it to kick the weed long enough to have a career where you will make millions? The guy has proven that he is immature and can't be trusted. Yes, weed is nice, but if you gave me the option of earning millions of dollars in my career, I wouldn't hesitate @ kicking the weed. Have a great career, retire, THEN smoke. Makes sense to me.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:54 am 
NET Rookie

I'd take him in the 4th or later. I think he's more of a free safety who can return punts and help with kick returns. He played some gunner on punt coverage but I don't think he has the strength to break the press. Just like I don't think he's strong enough to play corner. He's an instinctual player who does well at anticipating plays. As an open field tackler he is better than average. He will grab a body part and hold on for help to arrive, but he doesn't always bring guys down by himself. In single coverage he is pretty good but his athleticism holds him back from breaking up passes higher up in the air, and on down field routes he sometimes gives up too much ground. Maybe he was baiting the QB to throw his way? I could see that.

I'm not worried about his character really, especially for a 4th or 5th rounder. He smoked pot but he hasn't had issues with teammates, authority, or violent crimes. Just a pot head who's looking to break the habit. Maybe thats not a good thing for him in Seattle though right? Didn't you guys just legalize smoking weed?

I really could see him being a good free safety and punt returner. Put him back there with Harvin on kick returns and you have a double threat. I'd give him the opportunity to play corner but I don't see it working out and a position change to back up free safety after camp. Maragos is on the last year of his contract anyway so you could possibly get Tyrann for 4 years as cheap depth and see what happens.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 am 
NET Veteran

jkitsune wrote:
T-Sizzle wrote:
seahawks875 wrote:

This is one of the most sweeping misrepresentations of .net opinion I've seen in a while.

last year people were saying fire Pete, fire Bevel. Go look at the main forum and the past posts.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54803 <==== just one of the many from last year.

I remember the hords of people calling in local radio when PC was hired....9 out of 10 hated it. People here posting they hated it.

Its my opinion, but just pay attention next year. You will see posted in the main forum plenty.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 am 
NET Veteran

T-Sizzle wrote:
last year people were saying fire Pete, fire Bevel. Go look at the main forum and the past posts.
http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54803 <==== just one of the many from last year.

I remember the hords of people calling in local radio when PC was hired....9 out of 10 hated it. People here posting they hated it.

Its my opinion, but just pay attention next year. You will see posted in the main forum plenty.

I don't see how this relates at all.

Mathieu can't be trusted. Period. You simply cannot have that on a team. I don't think for one second that giving a guy like that freedom and money will result in anything positive at all.

He literally is incapable of committing to his profession. Even today, after having enough time and advice and motivation to prove that he can be, he fails. That doesn't sound like a guy we'd want here in the least.

This team doesn't need a guy they have to coddle because he's a retard. This is a team that is loaded. It needs guys who can get on board. Thugs or nice guys. It's all about the level of commitment to the team. Tyrann has the least capacity to commit to a team in probably the last 5 years worth of draft prospects.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 am 
NET Veteran

I was delighted with the decision to release Ruskell, even more delighted with the appointment of Carroll and have never once called for his head.

And I don't want Tyrann Mathieu.

Pretty sure I'm not alone on this one.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 pm 
NET Starter

OMG!
Whoa! No responses at all to my blatant devil's advocacy? :stirthepot:
I believe I am feeling a disturbance in the force...
And I don't need the bad LSU juju... so...

Alright draft "experts"... calm down.
How about this...
2 #56 Sylvester Williams DT, North Carolina
3 #87 John Simon, DE, Ohio State
4 #123 Denard Robinson RB/PR/ROQB, Michigan
5 #138 Brennen Williams OT, North Carolina
5 #158 Tyrann Mathieu FS/PR, LSU
6 #194 Brice Butler WR/CB, SDSU
7 #220 BJ Daniels ROQB, South Florida
7 #231 Abry Jones DT, Georgia
7 #241 Maurice Shaw 6'10"RedzoneTE/FGKickBlocker, Basketball/Tacoma, WA

and while we are drafting/importing basketball style TE's...
7 #242 LeBron James TE, Miami Heat

...just in case LeBron wants to add a SuperBowl ring to his extensive resume :th2thumbs:

&BTW Is anybody aware Percy Harvin was positively tested for marijuana at the NFL Combine in 2009? I believe he turned out fine in PC/JS's eyes...
After all, the "one bad egg" we've brought into the fold lately was Aaron Curry. I mean he was really, really, really, NICE & squeeeky, squeeeky, squeeeky CLEAN and everything... he just couldn't play football was all. Please remember, its taken 4 years to rebuild from that fiasco. Shoulda, woulda, could've had Harvin then (a TD monster baller)... or Clay Matthews (a QB hunter Predator baller...) even... but they had big egos, bad attitudes, off-field issues, and we shied away with our platitudes...

IMO Mathieu is a top 100 pick (which means our 2nd or 3rd rounder...) because he is unique to our secondary and can play multiple positions or help us punt returning etc. I don't think he will last past 150 or so (at the very latest), so... WHY NOT? I think we should get him early because somebody is gonna give him a shot, and it may as well be us reaping the benefits of his on-field talent. And, if we select him at #56, it will make Mel Kiper's head explode... which would go a long ways towards making the world a better place right there... :P

If he screws the pooch, cut him. Simple as that.

I know y'all disagree. But... for the reward potential alone, its worth the risk ratio.

Bottomline:
Relax people...
the Trophy is on its way :177692:

Last edited by kigenzun on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:05 pm 
NET Veteran

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
I was delighted with the decision to release Ruskell, even more delighted with the appointment of Carroll and have never once called for his head.

And I don't want Tyrann Mathieu.

Pretty sure I'm not alone on this one.

Yes, you are most definitely not.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:31 pm 
NET Veteran

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/3/24/4125752/nfl-draft-2013-tyrann-mathieu-seahawks

"We all we got, we all we need"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:01 pm 
NET Veteran

kigenzun wrote:
OMG!
Whoa! No responses at all to my blatant devil's advocacy? :stirthepot:
I believe I am feeling a disturbance in the force...
And I don't need the bad LSU juju... so...

Alright draft "experts"... calm down.
How about this...
2 #56 Sylvester Williams DT, North Carolina
3 #87 John Simon, DE, Ohio State
4 #123 Denard Robinson RB/PR/ROQB, Michigan
5 #138 Brennen Williams OT, North Carolina
5 #158 Tyrann Mathieu FS/PR, LSU
6 #194 Brice Butler WR/CB, SDSU
7 #220 BJ Daniels ROQB, South Florida
7 #231 Abry Jones DT, Georgia
7 #241 Maurice Shaw 6'10"RedzoneTE/FGKickBlocker, Basketball/Tacoma, WA

and while we are drafting/importing basketball style TE's...
7 #242 LeBron James TE, Miami Heat

...just in case LeBron wants to add a SuperBowl ring to his extensive resume :th2thumbs:

&BTW Is anybody aware Percy Harvin was positively tested for marijuana at the NFL Combine in 2009? I believe he turned out fine in PC/JS's eyes...
After all, the "one bad egg" we've brought into the fold lately was Aaron Curry. I mean he was really, really, really, NICE & squeeeky, squeeeky, squeeeky CLEAN and everything... he just couldn't play football was all. Please remember, its taken 4 years to rebuild from that fiasco. Shoulda, woulda, could've had Harvin then (a TD monster baller)... or Clay Matthews (a QB hunter Predator baller...) even... but they had big egos, bad attitudes, off-field issues, and we shied away with our platitudes...

IMO Mathieu is a top 100 pick (which means our 2nd or 3rd rounder...) because he is unique to our secondary and can play multiple positions or help us punt returning etc. I don't think he will last past 150 or so (at the very latest), so... WHY NOT? I think we should get him early because somebody is gonna give him a shot, and it may as well be us reaping the benefits of his on-field talent. And, if we select him at #56, it will make Mel Kiper's head explode... which would go a long ways towards making the world a better place right there... :P

I know y'all disagree. But... for the reward potential alone, its worth the risk ratio.

Bottomline:
Relax people...

:13:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:04 pm 
NET Veteran

kigenzun wrote:

Bottomline:
Relax people...

I think you're missing the point that some people are making in this thread.

I know I'm not a saint, I'm guessing there's a few others on here in the same position. My issue isn't that Mathieu isn't 'squeaky clean'. It isn't that he failed a drugs test. It's that he was given ample warning by LSU to kick the habit, and couldn't. And they felt it was serious enough to throw him off the team. LSU, knowing they only had to put up with his crap for one more year, still felt they were better off kicking a Heisman finalist off their team.

When he was issued that huge setback, he insisted he would get clean. Would work hard, stay at LSU and try and get back into the football team for the 2013 season. He checked into rehab. Then a few weeks later he's arrested for being in possession of a huge stash of marijuana.

End of college career.

Clearly the guy has a problem with drugs that goes beyond the odd failed test. It's a clear addiction. He's admitted as much that he spent most of his combine prep fighting to stay clean. He's admitted it wouldn't be a good idea for New Orleans to draft him -- I think he said something like -- "they'd have to do a good job protecting me".

You made the comparison to Harvin, who was never kicked out of Florida. He failed a drugs test at the combine. So have other players. One or even multiple drug offenses doesn't mean you're an addict. It just means you're a bonehead who needs a wake up call. Players like Harvin heeded the warning. Mathieu can't help himself. Big difference.

The mistake you're making here is thinking some of us just want a team full of choir boys. I don't. I'm happy to accommodate Harvin and all his mishaps. What I don't want is a guy who is going to need constant babysitting. A guy who is one relapse a way from being a negative headline and a major distraction. A player who might not just get himself into trouble, but might drag others down with him. Someone who will spend less time honing his craft and becoming a better player and more time trying to avoid drugs.

That's the kind of guy Tyrann Mathieu is. And the potential benefit for the gamble is minimal.

I'm not sure what people think Mathieu is, but his reputation as a prospect is incredibly inflated. He's a small, not particularly fast or physical corner. He will find it incredibly difficult to fit in the slot or as an orthodox corner. His best position in my opinion will be free safety. In fact, I don't know how anyone can project him as anything else. He was consistently abused in college. Then he forces a fumble. Good for him. Give up three or four plays, make one. That's how he operates. He's not a great player. He's a player who inherited a media-friendly nickname and had enough highlight moments to make himself a darling.

Even if he was crystal clear off the field, I'd bet he wouldn't go as high as some people seem to think with the issues. He's a 'name'. People recognise him because they remember hearing the words 'Honey Badger' mentioned 17 times during a game by the CBS crew. The likelihood is he'll be an UDFA because of the off-field issues. And people will wonder why. For about a year when everyone's forgotten about him. Because at the core of everything is he just isn't all that great as a prospect.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:17 pm 
* Report Button *

If you ever find yourself constipated its helpful to sit backwards on the toilet; so you can gently rest your chin on its back tank.

XOXO

RD

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm 
NET Starter

Thanks to lukerguy for the awesome link.
And by ditto-ing me, T-Sizzle must be sellin' not just sizzle, but steak!
I may be missing the point 'of some people', but I'm not the only one catching the wave of possibilities how this particularly unique player will contribute in putting us over the top.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... u-seahawks
I'll mercy finish this with a very brief quote from the above link by SoCal HawkFan, just to emphasize the actual football stats we're discussing here: "What Tyrann possesses is a once in a generation playmaking ability. The simple fact that a player that small could, in two seasons (one where he was only a backup), force 11 fumbles, record 133 tackles, 16 for loss, 6 sacks, and 4 picks speaks volumes to this kid's playmaking ability."

I couldn't have said it better myself... :)

Yeah yeah yeah... he aint big, he aint strong, and he aint fast... heck, maybe he aint even all that smart...lol... but HE IS A: looky-loo, peekaboo, poke it out/rip it out, pick it up and run with it, take it to the house, wildcard jokercat that can't stop smiling 'cuz he just ate the canary again PLAYMAKER.

IMO, I draft him early. 2nd at the earliest to make Mel Kiper's head spin around. 3rd round for certain. 5th at the latest to be sure and still get him...

'Cuz... after all is said and done, there isn't anybody on my own list of 'normal' draftpicks (posted above) that I'd rather have on my team. And, because I believe the Seahawks GM, current coaching staff, and the positive peer pressure from The Legion of Boom itself, can collectively handle the 'Alright. Now. This is how we do it round here' stuff.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 am 
NET Veteran

Interesting... from https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer

Quote:
Earlier, @jeffphowe reported Tyrann Mathieu will visit the Patriots. Now, @JenHale504 says he could visit up to 15 clubs, will visit Niners.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:50 am 
NET Veteran

Per @AlbertBreer, ex-LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu has visits set up MIN, TB, SF, BUF, NE, ARI, CIN, HOU, SEA & ATL. No visit w/#Saints scheduled.

If he's such a headcase and an absolutely horrendous pick, why is he scheduled to visit us? Has John Schneider lost his mind?!?!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:42 pm 
NET Veteran

I'd be frankly surprised if he wasn't making a ton of visits.

You need as much info on guys with character red flags as possible.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:02 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
I'd be frankly surprised if he wasn't making a ton of visits.

You need as much info on guys with character red flags as possible.

Maybe they are just bringing him in to deliver weed...?

:sarcasm_off:

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 pm 
NET Veteran

Not against giving him a look, but I wouldn't draft him before the 5th round, and my expectations for him would be incredibly low. Like E.J. Wilson low.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 am 
NET Starter

I'd love to have him.
but as long as he doesnt go to our division.
He could be a perfect key to shutting Russell Wilson down.
Put Mathieu on the QB, the plays RW makes with his legs would come to an immediate halt.
If you dont believe me, go watch when LSU destroyed Oregon. Tyrann was causing Chaos when they wanted to do options or plays requiring speed and mobility.
I'd love to have him.
It will haunt our team for years if another team in our division gets him.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 am 
NET Rookie

No. The last guy who came back after a year off (although for a much different reason) was Big Mike Williams. Football, it seems, is something you must stay with year over year. At least, that is my opinion.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 pm 
NET Veteran

Shadyhawk182 wrote:
I'd love to have him.
Put Mathieu on the QB, the plays RW makes with his legs would come to an immediate halt.
If you dont believe me, go watch when LSU destroyed Oregon. Tyrann was causing Chaos when they wanted to do options or plays requiring speed and mobility.
I'd love to have him.

A 180 pound corner stopping the read-option in college is a lot different than stopping the read-option in the NFL.

To counter your point, imagine him defending the read option and Lynch comes at him at 150 MPH, your money still on Tyrann?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:55 pm 
NET Starter

MrPompous wrote:
WestcoastSteve wrote:
Shadyhawk182 wrote:
I'd love to have him.
I'd love to have him.

A 180 pound corner stopping the read-option in college is a lot different than stopping the read-option in the NFL.

To counter your point, imagine him defending the read option and Lynch comes at him at 150 MPH, your money still on Tyrann?

Antoine Winfield has been one of the most effective slot corners in the NFL for years at the same height & weight.

Not sure how you figure Marshawn is going to reach 150MPH, but at that speed I wouldn't put my money on anyone being able to stop him. Back to reality (where RB's run much slower than F1 cars)... A slot corner's instinctive ability (where Mathieu rates above all IMO) to sniff out the play is 3/4's of the battle... Then he tackles to the best of his ability. Knowing Mathieu, he'd probably get quite a few forced fumbles in the process as well on these types of plays.

I dont like anyone's chances against Marshawn. And i LOVE that fact.
But i believe Tyrann could help eliminate the plays that Russ makes with his legs, if its just running, or scrambling to buy more time.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:26 pm 
NET Starter

WestcoastSteve wrote:
Antoine Winfield has been one of the most effective slot corners in the NFL for years at the same height & weight.

Well, although I believe it spells doom for Tyrann Mathieu coming to the Seahawks, I just want to be the first to rousingly approve, congratulate, and then stand up and give a well deserved standing ovation to John Schneider for bringing in the 'mature, refined, & NFL-battletested Master', (as opposed to the 'immature, unrefined, & untested (NFL-wise) student').

We just bought ourselves the Prototype Pro Bowl Slot Cornerback!!!

Personally, I didn't even know this move might be possible, thus thinking we might do well to buy the younger, cheaper version. I was wrong. So, I'll give up a whole bunch 'o love for Microsoft Co-Founder Paul Allen writing this particular check. We needed this key position "covered". Badly.

BTW I hope this alleviates all the haters on this Forum's "concerns".

IMO having no specific slot cornerback was our biggest weakness, and now seeing it addressed, in this fashion, I cannot help but sing the glorious praises of this Seahawks organization right now. From the top on down, the universe is aligning for us... and I must say...

WooHoo!!! Superbowl here we come!!! :lol:

Man o man...
this is so sweet a signing ...cuz now, we can match up Winfield on Welker in THE BIG GAME... & actually WIN IT ALL!!!!!! :P

John Schneider is THE MAN & the man IS A GENIUS. :thirishdrinkers:

Last edited by kigenzun on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 pm 
NET Veteran

kigenzun wrote:
WestcoastSteve wrote:

Well, although i believe it spells doom for Tyrann Mathieu coming to the Seahawks, I just want to be the first to congratulate, rousingly approve, and then stand up and give a well deserved standing ovation to John Schneider for bringing in the 'mature, refined, & battletested' Master, (as opposed to the 'immature, unrefined, & untested (NFL-wise) student') We just bought ourselves the Prototype Pro Bowl Slot Cornerback! What a run in Free Agency. John Schneider is THE MAN & the man IS A GENIUS. :thirishdrinkers:

I hope this alleviates all the haters on this Forum's "concerns".

IMO having no specific slot cornerback was our biggest weakness, and now seeing addressed, in this fashion, I cannot help but sing the glorious praises of this Seahawks organization right now. From the top on down, the universe is aligning for us... and I must say...

WooHoo!!! Superbowl here we come!!! :lol:

Man o man this is so sweet a signing ...cuz now, we can match up Winfield on Welker in THE BIG GAME... & actually WIN IT ALL!!!!!! :P

Couldn't ask for a better mentor for one year than Winfield. Perfect spot to draft Mathieu and let him mature for a year :D

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm 
NET Veteran

^
This

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:52 pm 
* NET Moderator *

No thanks. I dont mind drafting problem dudes. But I don't want stupid dudes. And this dude is just stupid.

Quote:
Mathieu, a 2011 Heisman Trophy Finalist who missed the 2012 season after coach Les Miles booted him off the team for a failed drug test, told one NFL coach that during the course of his LSU career he failed more drug tests than he could count.

"I quit counting at 10. I really don't know," Miles told the NFL coach, according to USA Today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:17 pm 
NET Veteran

JSeahawks wrote:
No thanks. I dont mind drafting problem dudes. But I don't want stupid dudes. And this dude is just stupid.

Quote:
Mathieu, a 2011 Heisman Trophy Finalist who missed the 2012 season after coach Les Miles booted him off the team for a failed drug test, told one NFL coach that during the course of his LSU career he failed more drug tests than he could count.

"I quit counting at 10. I really don't know," Miles told the NFL coach, according to USA Today.

Perhaps LSU should have made a stand earlier than after 10+ failed drug tests. Pretty much at that point, any person is going to think that they can keep doing what they're doing.

In a larger importance, I'm am extremely surprised that a university allowed an athlete to fail a drug test 10 times without consequences before his expulsion. It's such a horrible message to send to its players. And how common is this? Hmmm...

Either suspend/punish at #1 or admit that marijuana test fails are not seen as a big deal and remove it from it's test, period.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Yea, you gotta wonder what made them decide to suspend him after the 14th or 15th, when they didnt care about the first dozen.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:23 pm 
NET Veteran

Recon_Hawk wrote:
JSeahawks wrote:

Quote:

Perhaps LSU should have made a stand earlier than after 10+ failed drug tests. Pretty much at that point, any person is going to think that they can keep doing what they're doing.

In a larger importance, I'm am extremely surprised that a university allowed an athlete to fail a drug test 10 times without consequences before his expulsion. It's such a horrible message to send to its players. And how common is this? Hmmm...

Either suspend/punish at #1 or admit that marijuana test fails are not seen as a big deal and remove it from it's test, period.

That's my policy. I drug test my employees but I also decide what "drug" use requires disciplinary action. Smoke before or during the work day and you're gone. One strike. But my guys are honest hard working people that seldom if ever drink and never indulge in trendy chemical amusement aids. I'm not going to dictate to them and tell them they can't smoke a joint on their couch on a Saturday night.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:46 pm 
NET Veteran

I was for drafting the Honey Badger before we signed Winfield. I think he'd be a great mentor for the guy but having to spend a 2nd-4th on Mathieu who would be battling for our 4th CB spot wouldn't be very good value. With we are already going to be cutting Thurmond, Lane, or Maxwell I'm not sure we spend a pick on a CB anymore. I see no way Lane doesn't make the team he showed great on special teams and was commendable when he had to step in. WT3 has the talent but his injures make him a liability so if he goes down again I could see him cut. Maxwell hasn't done anything to guarantee a roster spot but he has shown capable. So if you draft a guy like Mathieu or any CB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th I think it all about guarentees WT3 and Maxwell are out.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:07 am 
NET Starter

Apparently somebody finally answered the above original question with a "YES".
Congratulations to Tyrann Mathieu for getting drafted in the NFL.
3rd round, pick #69, by the Arizona Cardinals.
IMHO His interview with Trey Wingo was heartfelt.
I guess now we'll be able to see how he turns out within our division, and it will be an easy comparison to the route we Seahawks took addressing the same crucial issue of slot coverage cornerback by signing Antoine Winfield... especially in light of the Rams trading up for Tavon Austin.

I know he just wants to play ball on Sundays... & now he'll get to...
look forward to tackling Marshawn Lynch :141847_bnono: & Colin Kaepernick :0190l:

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]