Would you draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":y69dmaia said:
last year people were saying fire Pete, fire Bevel. Go look at the main forum and the past posts.
http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54803 <==== just one of the many from last year.

I remember the hords of people calling in local radio when PC was hired....9 out of 10 hated it. People here posting they hated it.

Its my opinion, but just pay attention next year. You will see posted in the main forum plenty.

I don't see how this relates at all.

Mathieu can't be trusted. Period. You simply cannot have that on a team. I don't think for one second that giving a guy like that freedom and money will result in anything positive at all.

He literally is incapable of committing to his profession. Even today, after having enough time and advice and motivation to prove that he can be, he fails. That doesn't sound like a guy we'd want here in the least.

This team doesn't need a guy they have to coddle because he's a retard. This is a team that is loaded. It needs guys who can get on board. Thugs or nice guys. It's all about the level of commitment to the team. Tyrann has the least capacity to commit to a team in probably the last 5 years worth of draft prospects.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I was delighted with the decision to release Ruskell, even more delighted with the appointment of Carroll and have never once called for his head.

And I don't want Tyrann Mathieu.

Pretty sure I'm not alone on this one.

kigenzun

Reaction score
OMG!
Whoa! No responses at all to my blatant devil's advocacy? :stirthepot:
I believe I am feeling a disturbance in the force...
And I don't need the bad LSU juju... so...

Alright draft "experts"... calm down.
How about this...
2 #56 Sylvester Williams DT, North Carolina
3 #87 John Simon, DE, Ohio State
4 #123 Denard Robinson RB/PR/ROQB, Michigan
5 #138 Brennen Williams OT, North Carolina
5 #158 Tyrann Mathieu FS/PR, LSU
6 #194 Brice Butler WR/CB, SDSU
7 #220 BJ Daniels ROQB, South Florida
7 #231 Abry Jones DT, Georgia
7 #241 Maurice Shaw 6'10"RedzoneTE/FGKickBlocker, Basketball/Tacoma, WA

and while we are drafting/importing basketball style TE's...
7 #242 LeBron James TE, Miami Heat

...just in case LeBron wants to add a SuperBowl ring to his extensive resume :th2thumbs:

&BTW Is anybody aware Percy Harvin was positively tested for marijuana at the NFL Combine in 2009? I believe he turned out fine in PC/JS's eyes...
After all, the "one bad egg" we've brought into the fold lately was Aaron Curry. I mean he was really, really, really, NICE & squeeeky, squeeeky, squeeeky CLEAN and everything... he just couldn't play football was all. Please remember, its taken 4 years to rebuild from that fiasco. Shoulda, woulda, could've had Harvin then (a TD monster baller)... or Clay Matthews (a QB hunter Predator baller...) even... but they had big egos, bad attitudes, off-field issues, and we shied away with our platitudes...

IMO Mathieu is a top 100 pick (which means our 2nd or 3rd rounder...) because he is unique to our secondary and can play multiple positions or help us punt returning etc. I don't think he will last past 150 or so (at the very latest), so... WHY NOT? I think we should get him early because somebody is gonna give him a shot, and it may as well be us reaping the benefits of his on-field talent. And, if we select him at #56, it will make Mel Kiper's head explode... which would go a long ways towards making the world a better place right there... :p

If he screws the pooch, cut him. Simple as that.

I know y'all disagree. But... for the reward potential alone, its worth the risk ratio.

Bottomline:
Relax people...
the Trophy is on its way :177692:

GCrow

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2na2ysus said:
I was delighted with the decision to release Ruskell, even more delighted with the appointment of Carroll and have never once called for his head.

And I don't want Tyrann Mathieu.

Pretty sure I'm not alone on this one.

Yes, you are most definitely not.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kigenzun":ilg7wrhb said:
OMG!
Whoa! No responses at all to my blatant devil's advocacy? :stirthepot:
I believe I am feeling a disturbance in the force...
And I don't need the bad LSU juju... so...

Alright draft "experts"... calm down.
How about this...
2 #56 Sylvester Williams DT, North Carolina
3 #87 John Simon, DE, Ohio State
4 #123 Denard Robinson RB/PR/ROQB, Michigan
5 #138 Brennen Williams OT, North Carolina
5 #158 Tyrann Mathieu FS/PR, LSU
6 #194 Brice Butler WR/CB, SDSU
7 #220 BJ Daniels ROQB, South Florida
7 #231 Abry Jones DT, Georgia
7 #241 Maurice Shaw 6'10"RedzoneTE/FGKickBlocker, Basketball/Tacoma, WA

and while we are drafting/importing basketball style TE's...
7 #242 LeBron James TE, Miami Heat

...just in case LeBron wants to add a SuperBowl ring to his extensive resume :th2thumbs:

&BTW Is anybody aware Percy Harvin was positively tested for marijuana at the NFL Combine in 2009? I believe he turned out fine in PC/JS's eyes...
After all, the "one bad egg" we've brought into the fold lately was Aaron Curry. I mean he was really, really, really, NICE & squeeeky, squeeeky, squeeeky CLEAN and everything... he just couldn't play football was all. Please remember, its taken 4 years to rebuild from that fiasco. Shoulda, woulda, could've had Harvin then (a TD monster baller)... or Clay Matthews (a QB hunter Predator baller...) even... but they had big egos, bad attitudes, off-field issues, and we shied away with our platitudes...

IMO Mathieu is a top 100 pick (which means our 2nd or 3rd rounder...) because he is unique to our secondary and can play multiple positions or help us punt returning etc. I don't think he will last past 150 or so (at the very latest), so... WHY NOT? I think we should get him early because somebody is gonna give him a shot, and it may as well be us reaping the benefits of his on-field talent. And, if we select him at #56, it will make Mel Kiper's head explode... which would go a long ways towards making the world a better place right there... :p

I know y'all disagree. But... for the reward potential alone, its worth the risk ratio.

Bottomline:
Relax people...

:13:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kigenzun":3mcr6zgo said:

Bottomline:
Relax people...

I think you're missing the point that some people are making in this thread.

I know I'm not a saint, I'm guessing there's a few others on here in the same position. My issue isn't that Mathieu isn't 'squeaky clean'. It isn't that he failed a drugs test. It's that he was given ample warning by LSU to kick the habit, and couldn't. And they felt it was serious enough to throw him off the team. LSU, knowing they only had to put up with his crap for one more year, still felt they were better off kicking a Heisman finalist off their team.

When he was issued that huge setback, he insisted he would get clean. Would work hard, stay at LSU and try and get back into the football team for the 2013 season. He checked into rehab. Then a few weeks later he's arrested for being in possession of a huge stash of marijuana.

End of college career.

Clearly the guy has a problem with drugs that goes beyond the odd failed test. It's a clear addiction. He's admitted as much that he spent most of his combine prep fighting to stay clean. He's admitted it wouldn't be a good idea for New Orleans to draft him -- I think he said something like -- "they'd have to do a good job protecting me".

You made the comparison to Harvin, who was never kicked out of Florida. He failed a drugs test at the combine. So have other players. One or even multiple drug offenses doesn't mean you're an addict. It just means you're a bonehead who needs a wake up call. Players like Harvin heeded the warning. Mathieu can't help himself. Big difference.

The mistake you're making here is thinking some of us just want a team full of choir boys. I don't. I'm happy to accommodate Harvin and all his mishaps. What I don't want is a guy who is going to need constant babysitting. A guy who is one relapse a way from being a negative headline and a major distraction. A player who might not just get himself into trouble, but might drag others down with him. Someone who will spend less time honing his craft and becoming a better player and more time trying to avoid drugs.

That's the kind of guy Tyrann Mathieu is. And the potential benefit for the gamble is minimal.

I'm not sure what people think Mathieu is, but his reputation as a prospect is incredibly inflated. He's a small, not particularly fast or physical corner. He will find it incredibly difficult to fit in the slot or as an orthodox corner. His best position in my opinion will be free safety. In fact, I don't know how anyone can project him as anything else. He was consistently abused in college. Then he forces a fumble. Good for him. Give up three or four plays, make one. That's how he operates. He's not a great player. He's a player who inherited a media-friendly nickname and had enough highlight moments to make himself a darling.

Even if he was crystal clear off the field, I'd bet he wouldn't go as high as some people seem to think with the issues. He's a 'name'. People recognise him because they remember hearing the words 'Honey Badger' mentioned 17 times during a game by the CBS crew. The likelihood is he'll be an UDFA because of the off-field issues. And people will wonder why. For about a year when everyone's forgotten about him. Because at the core of everything is he just isn't all that great as a prospect.

pehawk

Reaction score
If you ever find yourself constipated its helpful to sit backwards on the toilet; so you can gently rest your chin on its back tank.

XOXO

RD

kigenzun

Reaction score
Thanks to lukerguy for the awesome link.
And by ditto-ing me, T-Sizzle must be sellin' not just sizzle, but steak!
I may be missing the point 'of some people', but I'm not the only one catching the wave of possibilities how this particularly unique player will contribute in putting us over the top.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... u-seahawks
I'll mercy finish this with a very brief quote from the above link by SoCal HawkFan, just to emphasize the actual football stats we're discussing here: "What Tyrann possesses is a once in a generation playmaking ability. The simple fact that a player that small could, in two seasons (one where he was only a backup), force 11 fumbles, record 133 tackles, 16 for loss, 6 sacks, and 4 picks speaks volumes to this kid's playmaking ability."

I couldn't have said it better myself... :)

Yeah yeah yeah... he aint big, he aint strong, and he aint fast... heck, maybe he aint even all that smart...lol... but HE IS A: looky-loo, peekaboo, poke it out/rip it out, pick it up and run with it, take it to the house, wildcard jokercat that can't stop smiling 'cuz he just ate the canary again PLAYMAKER.

IMO, I draft him early. 2nd at the earliest to make Mel Kiper's head spin around. 3rd round for certain. 5th at the latest to be sure and still get him...

'Cuz... after all is said and done, there isn't anybody on my own list of 'normal' draftpicks (posted above) that I'd rather have on my team. And, because I believe the Seahawks GM, current coaching staff, and the positive peer pressure from The Legion of Boom itself, can collectively handle the 'Alright. Now. This is how we do it round here' stuff.

cacksman

Reaction score
Per @AlbertBreer, ex-LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu has visits set up MIN, TB, SF, BUF, NE, ARI, CIN, HOU, SEA & ATL. No visit w/#Saints scheduled.

If he's such a headcase and an absolutely horrendous pick, why is he scheduled to visit us? Has John Schneider lost his mind?!?!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'd be frankly surprised if he wasn't making a ton of visits.

You need as much info on guys with character red flags as possible.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1o1anu02 said:
I'd be frankly surprised if he wasn't making a ton of visits.

You need as much info on guys with character red flags as possible.

Maybe they are just bringing him in to deliver weed...?

:sarcasm_off:

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
I'd love to have him.
but as long as he doesnt go to our division.
He could be a perfect key to shutting Russell Wilson down.
Put Mathieu on the QB, the plays RW makes with his legs would come to an immediate halt.
If you dont believe me, go watch when LSU destroyed Oregon. Tyrann was causing Chaos when they wanted to do options or plays requiring speed and mobility.
I'd love to have him.
It will haunt our team for years if another team in our division gets him.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
No. The last guy who came back after a year off (although for a much different reason) was Big Mike Williams. Football, it seems, is something you must stay with year over year. At least, that is my opinion.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":x8rmf5ez said:
I'd love to have him.
Put Mathieu on the QB, the plays RW makes with his legs would come to an immediate halt.
If you dont believe me, go watch when LSU destroyed Oregon. Tyrann was causing Chaos when they wanted to do options or plays requiring speed and mobility.
I'd love to have him.

A 180 pound corner stopping the read-option in college is a lot different than stopping the read-option in the NFL.

To counter your point, imagine him defending the read option and Lynch comes at him at 150 MPH, your money still on Tyrann?

G

WestcoastSteve":a8f5vocr said:
Shadyhawk182":a8f5vocr said:
I'd love to have him.
I'd love to have him.

A 180 pound corner stopping the read-option in college is a lot different than stopping the read-option in the NFL.

To counter your point, imagine him defending the read option and Lynch comes at him at 150 MPH, your money still on Tyrann?

Antoine Winfield has been one of the most effective slot corners in the NFL for years at the same height & weight.

Not sure how you figure Marshawn is going to reach 150MPH, but at that speed I wouldn't put my money on anyone being able to stop him. Back to reality (where RB's run much slower than F1 cars)... A slot corner's instinctive ability (where Mathieu rates above all IMO) to sniff out the play is 3/4's of the battle... Then he tackles to the best of his ability. Knowing Mathieu, he'd probably get quite a few forced fumbles in the process as well on these types of plays.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
MrPompous":vfblj4m5 said:
WestcoastSteve":vfblj4m5 said:
Shadyhawk182":vfblj4m5 said:
I'd love to have him.
I'd love to have him.

Antoine Winfield has been one of the most effective slot corners in the NFL for years at the same height & weight.

Not sure how you figure Marshawn is going to reach 150MPH, but at that speed I wouldn't put my money on anyone being able to stop him. Back to reality (where RB's run much slower than F1 cars)... A slot corner's instinctive ability (where Mathieu rates above all IMO) to sniff out the play is 3/4's of the battle... Then he tackles to the best of his ability. Knowing Mathieu, he'd probably get quite a few forced fumbles in the process as well on these types of plays.

I dont like anyone's chances against Marshawn. And i LOVE that fact.
But i believe Tyrann could help eliminate the plays that Russ makes with his legs, if its just running, or scrambling to buy more time.

kigenzun

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":48iq5i1s said:

Well, although I believe it spells doom for Tyrann Mathieu coming to the Seahawks, I just want to be the first to rousingly approve, congratulate, and then stand up and give a well deserved standing ovation to John Schneider for bringing in the 'mature, refined, & NFL-battletested Master', (as opposed to the 'immature, unrefined, & untested (NFL-wise) student').

We just bought ourselves the Prototype Pro Bowl Slot Cornerback!!!

Personally, I didn't even know this move might be possible, thus thinking we might do well to buy the younger, cheaper version. I was wrong. So, I'll give up a whole bunch 'o love for Microsoft Co-Founder Paul Allen writing this particular check. We needed this key position "covered". Badly.

BTW I hope this alleviates all the haters on this Forum's "concerns".

IMO having no specific slot cornerback was our biggest weakness, and now seeing it addressed, in this fashion, I cannot help but sing the glorious praises of this Seahawks organization right now. From the top on down, the universe is aligning for us... and I must say...

WooHoo!!! Superbowl here we come!!! :lol:

Man o man...
this is so sweet a signing ...cuz now, we can match up Winfield on Welker in THE BIG GAME... & actually WIN IT ALL!!!!!! :p

John Schneider is THE MAN & the man IS A GENIUS. :thirishdrinkers: