Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":3d4amxpx said:
A player that has physical skill sets to back up Wilson isn't all you need, the one thing that sets a good QB away from the rest is his intelligence and ability tp process information, it's why Jackson failed here. You can't throw an idiot or a horse that has to be force fed water into the position.
Exactly. Some people thing Tyler Thipgen is good because he's fast and was able to superficially pad his stats with his Tony Gonzalez tunnel-vision for half a season, but he has shown consistently that he does not have what it takes mentally to be a successful NFL QB.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Surely any quarterback with Tony Gonzalez to throw at is going to make sure he's the go-to target?

In 16 seasons of NFL football, Gonzalez enjoyed his fourth most productive for yardage (1058) and second most productive for touchdowns (10) with Thigpen throwing the football. If that's padding, maybe some of the other QB's the Chiefs had should've done the same.

I watched Thigpen live in 2008 and thought he had something about him. Not because he was fast or was padding his stats. Mainly because he showed a grasp of the offense he was working within (lot of pistol), was efficient with the football, made good decisions and was productive within a completely lousy Kansas City Chiefs team.

Rat

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3sz2mkhg said:
Surely any quarterback with Tony Gonzalez to throw at is going to make sure he's the go-to target?
Definitely, but outside of 5-10 yard passes to the greatest TE of all time, he has looked completely lost, or at least he does when I've watched him. Even in that season that gives people hope about him, he barely completely half his passes and his only win was a tight game against a 4-12 Raiders squad (I'm not going to pretend to have known that offhand, I just looked up their record that season). The arm isn't there, the decision making isn't there, the accuracy isn't there. I would feel very uncomfortable depending on him as our primary backup. Although, I've always been advocating for Rex Grossman to take over Flynn's spot, so I could see why some wouldn't put much stock in my opinion.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I can feel it in my bones.....we trade Flynn and we will regret it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3qzmd633 said:

I think your bones are wrong. :mrgreen:

Seriously, what gives anyone the remotest idea that Flynn is even close enough to Wilson that he'd save our season if Wilson was injured?

I'm as confident in Thigpen, McCoy, or even Kolb as a backup as I am in Flynn. Wilson is so incredibly important for our offense that even if we keep Flynn, we're screwed if Wilson goes down. So if we're screwed either way, give me someone less expensive so at least we can invest elsewhere and make a strong run for a championship on the off chance that Wilson DOESN'T get injured.

Hell, I'll take a Jim Sorgi type. After all, the Colts did pretty damn well while he was their backup.

HawkWow

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":p5u31r6o said:
Harbaugh understood he wasn't going to keep up with the Jones' with a guy named Smith.

I do think Smith was / is a very serviceable QB and could take the right team deep (think Dilfer). But he landed in KC so I guess we will never know.

Smith picked up an injury and Kaepernick exploded in reserve, winning the job.

It wasn't a passing of the torch. Had Smith not got injured, he would've remained the starter. He was among the statistically best ranked QB's in the NFL last year. It's not his fault Kaepernick played the way he did.

With all respect, your post sounds like it was damage control written by Harbaugh's publicist. Smith got a concussion and Harbaugh, seeing the success of RW, RG3 and Newton, took advantage of Smith's injury and stayed with the (mobile) guy, his guy, that he drafted the year before.

Typically in the NFL, regardless of how the back-ups play, the starter usually won't lose his job because of (short-term) injury. You point out that Smith was playing great ball at the time of the injury and that really just bolsters my point: It wasn't the passing of the torch, it was get out of the way, Alex or I'll burn your house down.

BTW...not knocking anyone involved. It was (thus far) the right call by Harbaugh and Smith gets to get the hell out of SF. Win /Win.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2l0izm1f said:

The dude threw 9 passes last year. All in the cardinals game. We would probably be fine with Robinson as our backup qb, maybe even Pete.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":kjwelqvu said:
WmHBonney":kjwelqvu said:

The dude threw 9 passes last year. All in the cardinals game. We would probably be fine with Robinson as our backup qb, maybe even Pete.

...and therein the problem lies. The unknown. Many of us were hyped by the signing of Flynn. We hoped that the record setting Packer QB was our answer. Then this Russell Wilson character comes along and.....;) I think there is a mystique to Flynn caused by a lot of unanswered questions. Nobody here knows how good or bad he really is and that is why this subject bounces around like a pinball. I STILL want to see how good he is...but now, in the AFC.