Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Re: Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 am 
NET Veteran

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m
Sounds like Matt Flynn heading to Oakland via trade, and Carson Palmer will be on his way out (possibly to AZ). trying to nail down details

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m
If the Flynn to Oakland trade gets completed, as expected, look for Seattle to consider Tyler Thigpen as a back-up to Russell Wilson

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 am 
* NET Cynic *

Tyler Thigpen is garbage. That would be WAY too much of a gamble to put on Russell Wilson's health.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 am 
NET Veteran

Rat wrote:
Tyler Thigpen is garbage. That would be WAY too much of a gamble to put on Russell Wilson's health.

He has 8x more starts than Flynn and a similar skill set to Wilson. Im personally more on board with him as a back up because they wouldn't have to change their game if RW goes down.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 am 
* NET Cynic *

T-Sizzle wrote:
Rat wrote:

He has 8x more starts than Flynn and a similar skill set to Wilson. Im personally more on board with him as a back up because they wouldn't have to change their game if RW goes down.

I'd be more on board with a backup who is good. I don't see the "similar skill set" to Wilson at all. Thigpen is more like Tarvaris Jackson with a weaker arm.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 am 
NET Veteran

Who cares about "similar skill set"? There is only one Russell Wilson. Best back-up is the best QB. Plain and simple.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:15 pm 
NET Veteran

DavidSeven wrote:
Who cares about "similar skill set"? There is only one Russell Wilson. Best back-up is the best QB. Plain and simple.

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set. Maybe you should talk to JS and PC and convince them that doesn't matter, they are after a QB with a similar skill set to Wilson. :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:21 pm 
NET Veteran

T-Sizzle wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set. Maybe you should talk to JS and PC and convince them that doesn't matter, they are after a QB with a similar skill set to Wilson. :th2thumbs:

Pete mentioned it'd be "nice" to have a back-up who could do some of the same things Russell could do. Of course it would be nice. But at the end of the day, you always go with the better QB.

Look at Washington. Cousins cannot do the same things RGIII does and Washington runs read option more than any other team. Yet, when Cousins filled in, he was still very productive, even though they had to "change their whole game plan." We ran option plays something like 10% of the time. It's not a huge part of the offense.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:27 pm 
* NET Cynic *

T-Sizzle wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set.

And your entire game plan is worthless if you have a QB who sucks (i.e. Thigpen), regardless of his skill set.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:37 pm 
NET Veteran

Rat wrote:
T-Sizzle wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set.

And your entire game plan is worthless if you have a QB who sucks (i.e. Thigpen), regardless of his skill set.

Would you prefer suck w/ similar skillset or suck without similar skillset? Pretty clear to me which one you pick.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm 
NET Veteran

A player that has physical skill sets to back up Wilson isn't all you need, the one thing that sets a good QB away from the rest is his intelligence and ability tp process information, it's why Jackson failed here. You can't throw an idiot or a horse that has to be force fed water into the position.

I wish some of you would understand that concept. it's why so many players fail, everyone gets hung up solely on speed and how far they can throw a fricking ball, not how they learn, retain information and how fast they can make a decision and execute the physical move on that decision.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 pm 
* NET Cynic *

chris98251 wrote:
A player that has physical skill sets to back up Wilson isn't all you need, the one thing that sets a good QB away from the rest is his intelligence and ability tp process information, it's why Jackson failed here. You can't throw an idiot or a horse that has to be force fed water into the position.

Exactly. Some people thing Tyler Thipgen is good because he's fast and was able to superficially pad his stats with his Tony Gonzalez tunnel-vision for half a season, but he has shown consistently that he does not have what it takes mentally to be a successful NFL QB.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:40 pm 
NET Veteran

Surely any quarterback with Tony Gonzalez to throw at is going to make sure he's the go-to target?

In 16 seasons of NFL football, Gonzalez enjoyed his fourth most productive for yardage (1058) and second most productive for touchdowns (10) with Thigpen throwing the football. If that's padding, maybe some of the other QB's the Chiefs had should've done the same.

I watched Thigpen live in 2008 and thought he had something about him. Not because he was fast or was padding his stats. Mainly because he showed a grasp of the offense he was working within (lot of pistol), was efficient with the football, made good decisions and was productive within a completely lousy Kansas City Chiefs team.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:56 pm 
* NET Cynic *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Surely any quarterback with Tony Gonzalez to throw at is going to make sure he's the go-to target?

Definitely, but outside of 5-10 yard passes to the greatest TE of all time, he has looked completely lost, or at least he does when I've watched him. Even in that season that gives people hope about him, he barely completely half his passes and his only win was a tight game against a 4-12 Raiders squad (I'm not going to pretend to have known that offhand, I just looked up their record that season). The arm isn't there, the decision making isn't there, the accuracy isn't there. I would feel very uncomfortable depending on him as our primary backup. Although, I've always been advocating for Rex Grossman to take over Flynn's spot, so I could see why some wouldn't put much stock in my opinion.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
NET Veteran

I'd be absolutely fine with Thigpen as a backup QB. I'm certain he can call coin flips and hold clipboards just as well as Flynn, and for a fraction of the price.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 pm 
NET Rookie

I can feel it in my bones.....we trade Flynn and we will regret it.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:23 pm 
NET Veteran

WmHBonney wrote:

I think your bones are wrong. :mrgreen:

Seriously, what gives anyone the remotest idea that Flynn is even close enough to Wilson that he'd save our season if Wilson was injured?

I'm as confident in Thigpen, McCoy, or even Kolb as a backup as I am in Flynn. Wilson is so incredibly important for our offense that even if we keep Flynn, we're screwed if Wilson goes down. So if we're screwed either way, give me someone less expensive so at least we can invest elsewhere and make a strong run for a championship on the off chance that Wilson DOESN'T get injured.

Hell, I'll take a Jim Sorgi type. After all, the Colts did pretty damn well while he was their backup.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:49 pm 
NET Veteran

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Quote:

Harbaugh understood he wasn't going to keep up with the Jones' with a guy named Smith.

I do think Smith was / is a very serviceable QB and could take the right team deep (think Dilfer). But he landed in KC so I guess we will never know.

Smith picked up an injury and Kaepernick exploded in reserve, winning the job.

It wasn't a passing of the torch. Had Smith not got injured, he would've remained the starter. He was among the statistically best ranked QB's in the NFL last year. It's not his fault Kaepernick played the way he did.

With all respect, your post sounds like it was damage control written by Harbaugh's publicist. Smith got a concussion and Harbaugh, seeing the success of RW, RG3 and Newton, took advantage of Smith's injury and stayed with the (mobile) guy, his guy, that he drafted the year before.

Typically in the NFL, regardless of how the back-ups play, the starter usually won't lose his job because of (short-term) injury. You point out that Smith was playing great ball at the time of the injury and that really just bolsters my point: It wasn't the passing of the torch, it was get out of the way, Alex or I'll burn your house down.

BTW...not knocking anyone involved. It was (thus far) the right call by Harbaugh and Smith gets to get the hell out of SF. Win /Win.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:55 pm 
NET Veteran

WmHBonney wrote:

The dude threw 9 passes last year. All in the cardinals game. We would probably be fine with Robinson as our backup qb, maybe even Pete.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 pm 
NET Veteran

Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
WmHBonney wrote:

The dude threw 9 passes last year. All in the cardinals game. We would probably be fine with Robinson as our backup qb, maybe even Pete.

...and therein the problem lies. The unknown. Many of us were hyped by the signing of Flynn. We hoped that the record setting Packer QB was our answer. Then this Russell Wilson character comes along and.....;) I think there is a mystique to Flynn caused by a lot of unanswered questions. Nobody here knows how good or bad he really is and that is why this subject bounces around like a pinball. I STILL want to see how good he is...but now, in the AFC.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]