Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn

HawkWow

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2qu9jocv said:
checkdanews":2qu9jocv said:
Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.
Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...

IF Smith was all that, he would have taken his job back, Harbaugh figgured it out quick enough.

Agreed. Harbaugh understood he wasn't going to keep up with the Jones' with a guy named Smith.

I do think Smith was / is a very serviceable QB and could take the right team deep (think Dilfer). But he landed in KC so I guess we will never know.

pinksheets

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1w6rypay said:
HawkWow":1w6rypay said:
Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

"It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(

Philbin thought because he had an inside track, that he could talk Flynn into signing for the cheap, and too, who would have expected that 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would blow the doors off in pre-Season and beyond?
There's an arguement by FANSIDEDAILY, that says that Flynn won't garner any kind of upper tier Draft pick, because he couldn't even beat out a 3rd rounder..This is a stupid arguement, because now it's a given, that Wilson has proven to be a 1st round talent that got dissed for being too short,,That kind of poor scouting judgement actually got a few guys sent down the road kicking horse turds.
He won't garner an upper tier pick because nobody in the NFL values him that highly, it's been demonstrated in his FA period and it looks like it's being demonstrated now. Both the Bills and the Raiders will likely look to grab a QB in the draft, Flynn will be seen as a stop gap/come on in and compete type option and will garner a pick that reflects that.

HawkWow

Reaction score
pinksheets":2unr8sdb said:
scutterhawk":2unr8sdb said:
HawkWow":2unr8sdb said:

"It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(

Philbin thought because he had an inside track, that he could talk Flynn into signing for the cheap, and too, who would have expected that 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would blow the doors off in pre-Season and beyond?
There's an arguement by FANSIDEDAILY, that says that Flynn won't garner any kind of upper tier Draft pick, because he couldn't even beat out a 3rd rounder..This is a stupid arguement, because now it's a given, that Wilson has proven to be a 1st round talent that got dissed for being too short,,That kind of poor scouting judgement actually got a few guys sent down the road kicking horse turds.
He won't garner an upper tier pick because nobody in the NFL values him that highly, it's been demonstrated in his FA period and it looks like it's being demonstrated now. Both the Bills and the Raiders will likely look to grab a QB in the draft, Flynn will be seen as a stop gap/come on in and compete type option and will garner a pick that reflects that.

Little did he know at the time, but Pete didn't help us much by giving Flynn such a vanilla set last pre-season. It was all about game management and Flynn was clearly scared to death of turning the ball over. Throw in the hard charging rookie that was gaining favor with the coach and it was (I'm sure) a very hard situation for Flynn to showcase himself.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":3ajeklo6 said:
scutterhawk":3ajeklo6 said:
HawkWow":3ajeklo6 said:

On this we'll have to agree to dissagree.
Flynn isn't as athletic or mobile as Wilson, but with the right System and RB threats, he could maybe surprise the hell out of the doubters.
Flynn has NFL experience and there are NO certainty QB's in this Draft, so I'm betting that his 6TDs against the Lions ( GB record) will influence some to be taking a lot closer look at him, AND, JS will have a different Value Chart on him than most here on .NET

Killa Kam

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3oe3549d said:
On this we'll have to agree to dissagree.
Flynn isn't as athletic or mobile as Wilson, but with the right System and RB threats, he could maybe surprise the hell out of the doubters.
Flynn has NFL experience and there are NO certainty QB's in this Draft, so I'm betting that his 6TDs against the Lions ( GB record) will influence some to be taking a lot closer look at him, AND, JS will have a different Value Chart on him than most here on .NET

That game was over a year ago, if he wasn't wanted by that many teams a few months after that game, as a free agent what makes you think his demand is going to be higher with a team having to trade for him. I'd be surprised if he's worth more than a 5th round personally

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1gbcd3dk said:
scutterhawk":1gbcd3dk said:
checkdanews":1gbcd3dk said:
Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.
Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...

IF Smith was all that, he would have taken his job back, Harbaugh figgured it out quick enough.

Agreed. Harbaugh understood he wasn't going to keep up with the Jones' with a guy named Smith.

I do think Smith was / is a very serviceable QB and could take the right team deep (think Dilfer). But he landed in KC so I guess we will never know.

Smith picked up an injury and Kaepernick exploded in reserve, winning the job.

It wasn't a passing of the torch. Had Smith not got injured, he would've remained the starter. He was among the statistically best ranked QB's in the NFL last year. It's not his fault Kaepernick played the way he did.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
According to Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the scouting report among ex-Packers executives is that Matt Flynn's "lack of arm strength will eventually be exposed by opposing teams."
The Raiders have been most heavily connected to a Flynn trade, but former Packers personnel man Reggie McKenzie is their GM. A deal makes sense on the surface because of McKenzie's quarterback need and Flynn familiarity, but he's not going to give up a high or even middle-round pick for a passer he's deemed incapable of starting-caliber performance. We're still skeptical that Flynn will be traded ahead of the draft for anything more than a sixth-round pick

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 4m
Source says Seahawks engaged in trade discussions involving backup QB Matt Flynn and a deal appears "imminent.'' Trade partner unknown

osprey3263

Reaction score
Trade Flynn to the Raiders then trade our seventh round pick from Buffalo to the Browns for Colt McCoy. he be a better back up to Russell in our system.

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m
If a Flynn trade is imminent (as @Edwerderespn said), it's not #Bills. #Jaguars came out and said no yesterday. #Raiders an option, tho

OP
OP
SE174

SE174

Reaction score
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m
Sounds like Matt Flynn heading to Oakland via trade, and Carson Palmer will be on his way out (possibly to AZ). trying to nail down details

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m
If the Flynn to Oakland trade gets completed, as expected, look for Seattle to consider Tyler Thigpen as a back-up to Russell Wilson

Rat

Reaction score
Tyler Thigpen is garbage. That would be WAY too much of a gamble to put on Russell Wilson's health.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Rat":9m63f94k said:
Tyler Thigpen is garbage. That would be WAY too much of a gamble to put on Russell Wilson's health.

He has 8x more starts than Flynn and a similar skill set to Wilson. Im personally more on board with him as a back up because they wouldn't have to change their game if RW goes down.

Rat

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3qnuv6ya said:
Rat":3qnuv6ya said:

He has 8x more starts than Flynn and a similar skill set to Wilson. Im personally more on board with him as a back up because they wouldn't have to change their game if RW goes down.

I'd be more on board with a backup who is good. I don't see the "similar skill set" to Wilson at all. Thigpen is more like Tarvaris Jackson with a weaker arm.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Who cares about "similar skill set"? There is only one Russell Wilson. Best back-up is the best QB. Plain and simple.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
DavidSeven":bvsk0rs2 said:
Who cares about "similar skill set"? There is only one Russell Wilson. Best back-up is the best QB. Plain and simple.

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set. Maybe you should talk to JS and PC and convince them that doesn't matter, they are after a QB with a similar skill set to Wilson. :th2thumbs:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":bqmnncw1 said:
DavidSeven":bqmnncw1 said:

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set. Maybe you should talk to JS and PC and convince them that doesn't matter, they are after a QB with a similar skill set to Wilson. :th2thumbs:

Pete mentioned it'd be "nice" to have a back-up who could do some of the same things Russell could do. Of course it would be nice. But at the end of the day, you always go with the better QB.

Look at Washington. Cousins cannot do the same things RGIII does and Washington runs read option more than any other team. Yet, when Cousins filled in, he was still very productive, even though they had to "change their whole game plan." We ran option plays something like 10% of the time. It's not a huge part of the offense.

Rat

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3ns9m5zj said:
DavidSeven":3ns9m5zj said:

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set.
And your entire game plan is worthless if you have a QB who sucks (i.e. Thigpen), regardless of his skill set.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Rat":12cu3b9g said:
T-Sizzle":12cu3b9g said:
DavidSeven":12cu3b9g said:

Because you have to change your entire game plan if you don't have a QB with a similar skill set.
And your entire game plan is worthless if you have a QB who sucks (i.e. Thigpen), regardless of his skill set.

Would you prefer suck w/ similar skillset or suck without similar skillset? Pretty clear to me which one you pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
A player that has physical skill sets to back up Wilson isn't all you need, the one thing that sets a good QB away from the rest is his intelligence and ability tp process information, it's why Jackson failed here. You can't throw an idiot or a horse that has to be force fed water into the position.

I wish some of you would understand that concept. it's why so many players fail, everyone gets hung up solely on speed and how far they can throw a fricking ball, not how they learn, retain information and how fast they can make a decision and execute the physical move on that decision.