Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Hawks46 wrote:You have to look at Flynn's value in a couple of different ways: current market value and value to the team.

    I think it's funny how a lot of people were on board with the Harvin trade with the rationale that "hey, if Harvin were in the draft, he'd be a top 5 pick", so we're big winners. Absolutely no one in the media is castigating us for the trade; they all love it. So look at Flynn....he's NEVER been bad in a regular season NFL game....EVER. Two starts in GB (@ NE, and Detroit) and in mop up duty last year. Against the Cards they blitzed up the middle (and got good pressure) and had their starting D out there. Flynn would've dropped 30 on them that game as well. So, the guy has limited starts, but in that time, he just doesn't look bad. This is with limited prep time usually.

    So, in his NFL playing time, does Flynn grade out as a 1st rounder this year, with this crop of QB's ? I'd say yes. I theorize he's better than anyone you're getting in the draft right now, and for a team that needs a QB, with a GM desperate to keep his job, I'd bet someone rates Flynn as a 2nd or maybe even 1st rounder. Alex Smith was considered the best QB in free agency this year, and I think Flynn could be that good easily.

    Also, 3 teams are wanting him. That drives up the market with absolutely nobody left.

    Then look at what he's worth to us: is a 4th or 5th rounder worth losing insurance if Wilson gets hurt ? You can't predict injury, and I don't see anyone out there in FA or in the draft (I'm counting 1st rounders as well) that could come in off the bench and win us games in a pinch better than FLynn could. Hell, I don't think there's a FA QB out there that could even win any games for us. Fitzpatrick, Kolb, Vince Young, really ? Hell the 49ers are kicking the tires on Pat White, and I'd like that option better.

    The Hawks aren't in cap hell and don't have to trade Flynn. They've stated it, and stated he's not getting cut. We hold all the cards, and coming to us with a "you're lucky to get a 4th rounder out of him" attitude is wasting our FO's time and I bet the league knows it.


    I would disagree with this statement. You are totally overhyping Flynn. I'd take Barkley over Flynn any day. 1- the 2 players are very similar, both are roughly the same size (6-2, 220) and both have similar "ARM" talent. Barkley has much more experience than Flynn and he's younger so I'd definately take him over a guy who will be 28 before the season starts. (Age also has to factor into the equation). Meanwhile Manuel and Smith have much more upside than Flynn does.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2472
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • Practice against nfl players and schemes has to count for something.

    Or do you think Barkley could have just stepped in and lit up that Detroit d the way Flynn did?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10757
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • (Not sure if 3 threads were started on this but)

    Sounds like Raiders have "legitimate" interest here, while the Jags do not.

    Per Mike Silver article;
    Another possibility would be trading for Flynn, an expensive free-agent signee for the Seahawks in 2012 who was beaten out by rookie Russell Wilson in training camp. McKenzie previously worked as a personnel executive for the Green Bay Packers, where Flynn spent the first four years of his career as Aaron Rodgers' backup.
    A league source said the Raiders have legitimate interest in acquiring Flynn, who could likely be pried from Seattle for as little as a fourth-round pick. (Another source said the Jacksonville Jaguars, who according to a CBSSports.com report are also interested in Flynn, have little inclination to try to swing a trade.)
    However, with Flynn carrying a cap number of $7.25 million for 2013, acquiring him would still pose financial problems for the Raiders, as Palmer would count another $9.34 million against this year's cap were he to be released.

    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--so ... 06980.html
    User avatar
    GCrow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 700
    Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:05 am
    Location: Canada


  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Practice against nfl players and schemes has to count for something.

    Or do you think Barkley could have just stepped in and lit up that Detroit d the way Flynn did?


    Go look up just how depleted Detroit's secondary and linebackers were for that game. Then remember that Aaron Rodgers was the playcaller for Flynn in that game. Seriously, Green Bay was not taking the Lions seriously that game at all. Would Barkley have been able to chuck it for 48 and 6? I don't know if that can be answered. But Barkley has been playing with NFL talent for 4 years now.

    Barkley has been a starting QB for 4 years at USC, and won his job as a freshman. Part of me wonders if having given the job to a freshman Barkley helped Pete give the job to a rookie Wilson 3 years later.

    I think Flynn is a better QB than I had assessed him last year, he is a better athlete than I gave him credit for. But I still stand by my thinking that he has not proven on the field to be good at play action and is most effective from the gun. I also think he played the preseason last year very conservatively, like he was more concerned with making mistakes than making plays. There were reports from Milwaukee reporters that Flynn lost the job because his off field approach was a bit slacker and that was as much where Wilson took his job as on the field.

    I would take Barkley in the first round at any pick, I believe in his future that much. I don't think Barkley gets past the Raiders for sure, and I think he goes 2nd overall right now, no matter who takes him.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11964
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Practice against nfl players and schemes has to count for something.

    Or do you think Barkley could have just stepped in and lit up that Detroit d the way Flynn did?

    You mean like Wilson, Luck, RGIII, Dalton, Newton all did as rookies heck I'm sure I'm forgetting other rookies that did good in their first years. While I like Flynn as a steady backup for us, I think he is over valued by many, and am sure most of those people will be upset when he leaves and we don't get a first for him.
    run and shoot
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 68
    Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 am


  • He didn't just play well. What he did was historically good.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10757
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:??? How do you know he's awful? We've seen the guy play 2 regular season games.

    16 starts in 9 years is all you need to know. If he was any good at all those numbers would be different. How do you know he isn't awful? Pretty clear the guy isn't starting material. Believing anything is is just that......blind faith. If he was any good he would have more than 16 starts in 9 years.


    OMFG! LOL! Are you for real? :lol:


    Threw this in my sig. We can take a look at it later. ;)



    Dude, you crack me up. I'm never sure where to take you seriously, but that was seriously funny :lol:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 9171
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:He didn't just play well. What he did was historically good.


    If he plays a 16 game season what are his numbers? Where amongst the NFL starting QBs would you rank him?
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2635
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:He didn't just play well. What he did was historically good.


    If he plays a 16 game season what are his numbers? Where amongst the NFL starting QBs would you rank him?


    Below Russell Wilson and above Blaine Gabbert.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10757
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:He didn't just play well. What he did was historically good.


    If he plays a 16 game season what are his numbers? Where amongst the NFL starting QBs would you rank him?


    Below Russell Wilson and above Blaine Gabbert.


    :34853_doh:

    I was hoping you had a little more confidence in what you say.

    He is probably around QB 25 or lower of the starting QBs imo. If he goes somewhere and gets the chance to start and play 16 games I would expect around 3500 yards passing and 16tds:18ints. More than likely where he gets traded too he will be a stop gap so he may only play 8 games and a rookie comes in to finish out the season.

    I understand not everyone feels this way, so no need for people to get upset. Just my opinion.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2635
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • NFL.com has jumped on the "Flynn to Raiders" bandwagon.

    Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday that the Raiders have "legitimate interest" in acquiring Matt Flynn from the Seattle Seahawks. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie worked for years in Green Bay, where Flynn toiled for the Packers behind starter Aaron Rodgers, so the 27-year-old passer is something of a known quantity in Oakland's front office.


    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154862/article/report-oakland-raiders-have-interest-in-qb-matt-flynn
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12207
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • Flynn is better than.

    Anyone on Arizonas roster

    Christian Ponder

    Anyone on Oaklands roster

    Anyone on Clevelands roster

    Anyone on Jacksonvilles roster

    Anyone on the Titans roster

    Anyone on the Jets roster

    Anyone on Buffalos roster

    Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10757
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • GCrow wrote:(Not sure if 3 threads were started on this but)

    Sounds like Raiders have "legitimate" interest here, while the Jags do not.

    Per Mike Silver article;
    Another possibility would be trading for Flynn, an expensive free-agent signee for the Seahawks in 2012 who was beaten out by rookie Russell Wilson in training camp. McKenzie previously worked as a personnel executive for the Green Bay Packers, where Flynn spent the first four years of his career as Aaron Rodgers' backup.
    A league source said the Raiders have legitimate interest in acquiring Flynn, who could likely be pried from Seattle for as little as a fourth-round pick. (Another source said the Jacksonville Jaguars, who according to a CBSSports.com report are also interested in Flynn, have little inclination to try to swing a trade.)
    However, with Flynn carrying a cap number of $7.25 million for 2013, acquiring him would still pose financial problems for the Raiders, as Palmer would count another $9.34 million against this year's cap were he to be released.

    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--so ... 06980.html



    This is factually INCORRECT. Flynn carries a $7.25 million cap hit for the Seahawks ONLY. His salary for 2013 is $5.25 million the $2million signing bonus would remain against the Seahawks cap. This is less or about what a first round qb would cost and only about $2million is guaranteed for 2014 so if he doesn't work out there is low to minimal risk

    Honestly this is the upside. The guy is under contract for 2 years with very low cost to release if he doesn't pan out and you don't have to waste a draft pick.......
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3847
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.


    Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.

    I really don't see how Flynn is on par with the guy and could be 'much higher' in terms of quality. What evidence is there for that? One game against the Lions? Let's see him lead a team to within a couple of kick-off fumbles of the Super Bowl.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8282
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • It sure took Smith long enough though, didn't it Rob.

    Methinks coaching and surrounding talent had top do with that as well.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10757
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • Flynn showed what he is capable of in two NFL games. He stepped off the bench and set some records in the Lion game and did well against the Pats. What else could he do coming of the bench. If that's his ceiling its a pretty good one. I think in the right system he will be a gamer...If he goes to Oakland IMO he will be beat down after 4 or 5 games. I like him here but if its decided that we have to trade him I would like to see him go to a team that at least has an O-line. I like Flynn a heck of alot.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 441
    Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 pm


  • It's not a very fair comparison to say "if Flynn was in the draft, where would he be drafted" and then expect that draft pick. There are big factors like age, money, and contracts to consider as well. Flynn is already 27 years old with limited experience....he is more expensive than a pretty much anyone in the draft...he isn't under contract for very many years.

    When considering more of the factors, I would think a 3rd round pick would be great for him, but it would probably more likely be a 4th round pick or something like that.
    User avatar
    chihawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 369
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:38 pm


  • The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

    Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4017
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

    Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.


    So for the Seahawks the low salary for a backup is a plus but for Oakland the $5million for someone that MAY not be a starter is a negative?

    I am confused.......
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3847
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Now THAT is funny.


    Now THAT is funny


    NOW that is funny
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3887
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Now THAT is funny.


    Now THAT is funny


    NOW that is funny


    Now that IS funny.
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    User avatar
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1267
    Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:32 pm
    Location: Kenmore, WA


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.


    Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.

    I really don't see how Flynn is on par with the guy and could be 'much higher' in terms of quality. What evidence is there for that? One game against the Lions? Let's see him lead a team to within a couple of kick-off fumbles of the Super Bowl.


    I'm less a believer in Smith than you are, and I say that because Harbaugh's understanding of the QB position led him to make the change up for who he perceived as the better option at Quarterback for the 49rs.
    Harbaugh TRIED to persuede P. Manning to come to SF, and when that didn't happen, he then put Kaepernick in, he wasn't going to go back to the mediocrety.
    Let's be honest, Smith was drafted high, because the expectations were that he could possibly take the 49rs back to the glory days, and to continue with the honesty, he just couldn't work enough magic to get it done, and Harbaugh probably gave him the best of all advise to helping him get the most out of his talents.
    Flynn wasn't able to wrest the starting job from Wilson, (who could) but that doesn't mean that he couldn't flourish as a leader with his own team, given enough time to develop chemestry.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3887
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • mikeak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

    Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.


    So for the Seahawks the low salary for a backup is a plus but for Oakland the $5million for someone that MAY not be a starter is a negative?

    I am confused.......


    Yes because our starter is only going to make 400k, so we have the luxury of having a 5 million a year backup. If you're Oakland is it worth it to bring in Flynn to compete for a starting position, when the outcome may be you have to pay Palmer AND Flynn.............AND give up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4017
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The problem here is Flynn's value is higher to the Hawks than any team interested in him, therefore it's going to be difficult to receive adequate compensation for him.

    Meaning Flynn as the best backup in the league + low salary = more valuable to the Hawks than the Raiders or whoever risking a 3rd round pick + 5 million salary for a QB that might not be your starter.


    So for the Seahawks the low salary for a backup is a plus but for Oakland the $5million for someone that MAY not be a starter is a negative?

    I am confused.......


    Yes because our starter is only going to make 400k, so we have the luxury of having a 5 million a year backup. If you're Oakland is it worth it to bring in Flynn to compete for a starting position, when the outcome may be you have to pay Palmer AND Flynn.............AND give up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn?


    OK different background thinking. There is no way EVER that they sign Flynn and keep Palmer. They will eat the money from cutting Palmer and have Flynn compete against Pryor. That is the backup I was thinking off. The negative is the cost of the Palmer cut but I simply don't see them keeping both and if they release Palmer this is the cheapest starter they can get unless they really believe in Pryor
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3847
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • New report that the Jags were initially interested in Flynn but decided not to pursue it:

    The Florida Times-Union reports the Jaguars explored the possibility of a Matt Flynn trade, but ultimately decided not to pursue it.

    CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora recently named the Jaguars as Flynn's "most likely destination," but it appears the quarterback's salary is a hindrance. GM Dave Caldwell is committed to building through the draft and not tying up money in veteran players. Flynn's age, 28 in June, likely also played a factor. The Raiders would seem to be his most likely landing spot.
    User avatar
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2268
    Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am


  • The Outfield wrote:New report that the Jags were initially interested in Flynn but decided not to pursue it:

    The Florida Times-Union reports the Jaguars explored the possibility of a Matt Flynn trade, but ultimately decided not to pursue it.

    CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora recently named the Jaguars as Flynn's "most likely destination," but it appears the quarterback's salary is a hindrance. GM Dave Caldwell is committed to building through the draft and not tying up money in veteran players. Flynn's age, 28 in June, likely also played a factor. The Raiders would seem to be his most likely landing spot.


    Thats explanation is pure spin.

    The Jaguars are the cheapest team in the NFL. The cash they have commited to spend so far in 2013 ranks last in the NFL as in #32nd ........ $14 million less (estimated) than the #31st ranked team.
    User avatar
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3760
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • Flynn has very low miles for his age, is a capable QB, and seems to be a good teammate. If they send him out for next years 3rd would be a score. We'll see.
    User avatar
    Hendo66
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 531
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:28 pm
    Location: Scottsdale, AZ


  • Gabbert is the Jaguars ticket to LA or London. Why would they mess that up by trading for Flynn?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11964
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • JSeahawks wrote:If we could send Flynn to jacksonville and flip 2nd round picks with them that would be ideal.

    Having first pick in the 2nd round is either a great way to get somebody who slipped out of the first round, or maybe even better is a nice trade chip. All those teams who didnt fill all their needs in the first round have a night to think about who's left over and try to move up and get their guy. We could probably turn that in to 3 or 4 more picks if we were so inclined.


    Swapping picks would be great. Picking up extra picks would be good for subsequent years.
    gmor
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm
    Location: Oak Harbor, WA


  • Scottemojo wrote:Gabbert is the Jaguars ticket to LA or London. Why would they mess that up by trading for Flynn?



    Actually their lease is going to pretty much guarantee they stay.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9360
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:Flynn, because of the unknown factor, I'd put on par with Alex Smith, but could be much higher.


    Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.

    I really don't see how Flynn is on par with the guy and could be 'much higher' in terms of quality. What evidence is there for that? One game against the Lions? Let's see him lead a team to within a couple of kick-off fumbles of the Super Bowl.


    I'm less a believer in Smith than you are, and I say that because Harbaugh's understanding of the QB position led him to make the change up for who he perceived as the better option at Quarterback for the 49rs.
    Harbaugh TRIED to persuede P. Manning to come to SF, and when that didn't happen, he then put Kaepernick in, he wasn't going to go back to the mediocrety.
    Let's be honest, Smith was drafted high, because the expectations were that he could possibly take the 49rs back to the glory days, and to continue with the honesty, he just couldn't work enough magic to get it done, and Harbaugh probably gave him the best of all advise to helping him get the most out of his talents.
    Flynn wasn't able to wrest the starting job from Wilson, (who could) but that doesn't mean that he couldn't flourish as a leader with his own team, given enough time to develop chemestry.


    Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...
    XLVIII - 2014 - Champions
    User avatar
    checkdanews
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 159
    Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 am
    Location: Humboldt County, California


  • With the very ungrateful Carson Palmer refusing to renegotiate his deal in Oakland, I suspect Flynn will be their next QB. Reports suggest Palmer "wants out so he can play in 'Zona" (they've set the bar that low). I would be stoked to see Carson Palmer twice a year. Stoked.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6640
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • HawkWow wrote:With the very ungrateful Carson Palmer refusing to renegotiate his deal in Oakland, I suspect Flynn will be their next QB. Reports suggest Palmer "wants out so he can play in 'Zona" (they've set the bar that low). I would be stoked to see Carson Palmer twice a year. Stoked.


    Sherman and Thomas are gonna have a field day with him.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19359
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Throwdown wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:With the very ungrateful Carson Palmer refusing to renegotiate his deal in Oakland, I suspect Flynn will be their next QB. Reports suggest Palmer "wants out so he can play in 'Zona" (they've set the bar that low). I would be stoked to see Carson Palmer twice a year. Stoked.


    Sherman and Thomas are gonna have a field day with him.


    Boy howdy. And with Bradford always nursing something...let's hope the Rams grab McNabb! ;)
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6640
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0



  • Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

    "It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6640
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • checkdanews wrote: Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.
    Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...


    IF Smith was all that, he would have taken his job back, Harbaugh figgured it out quick enough.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3887
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Seahawksfan425 wrote:Now THAT is funny


    NOW that is funny[/quote]

    Now that IS funny.[/quote]

    now that is FUNNY :16:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3887
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • HawkWow wrote:Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

    "It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(


    Philbin thought because he had an inside track, that he could talk Flynn into signing for the cheap, and too, who would have expected that 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would blow the doors off in pre-Season and beyond?
    There's an arguement by FANSIDEDAILY, that says that Flynn won't garner any kind of upper tier Draft pick, because he couldn't even beat out a 3rd rounder..This is a stupid arguement, because now it's a given, that Wilson has proven to be a 1st round talent that got dissed for being too short,,That kind of poor scouting judgement actually got a few guys sent down the road kicking horse turds.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3887
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • HawkWow wrote:Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

    "It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(


    That's very flawed thinking, and I would hope NFL GM's don't use that type of reasoning. If Flynn is signed/traded by those coaches, he is never on the market in the first place. What if Gus does trade for Flynn, are they going to suddenly think: "Damn, we should have made that trade"?
    User avatar
    cacksman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 585
    Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:17 am


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    checkdanews wrote: Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.
    Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...


    IF Smith was all that, he would have taken his job back, Harbaugh figgured it out quick enough.


    Agreed. Harbaugh understood he wasn't going to keep up with the Jones' with a guy named Smith.

    I do think Smith was / is a very serviceable QB and could take the right team deep (think Dilfer). But he landed in KC so I guess we will never know.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6640
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • scutterhawk wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

    "It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(


    Philbin thought because he had an inside track, that he could talk Flynn into signing for the cheap, and too, who would have expected that 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would blow the doors off in pre-Season and beyond?
    There's an arguement by FANSIDEDAILY, that says that Flynn won't garner any kind of upper tier Draft pick, because he couldn't even beat out a 3rd rounder..This is a stupid arguement, because now it's a given, that Wilson has proven to be a 1st round talent that got dissed for being too short,,That kind of poor scouting judgement actually got a few guys sent down the road kicking horse turds.

    He won't garner an upper tier pick because nobody in the NFL values him that highly, it's been demonstrated in his FA period and it looks like it's being demonstrated now. Both the Bills and the Raiders will likely look to grab a QB in the draft, Flynn will be seen as a stop gap/come on in and compete type option and will garner a pick that reflects that.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • pinksheets wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

    "It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(


    Philbin thought because he had an inside track, that he could talk Flynn into signing for the cheap, and too, who would have expected that 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would blow the doors off in pre-Season and beyond?
    There's an arguement by FANSIDEDAILY, that says that Flynn won't garner any kind of upper tier Draft pick, because he couldn't even beat out a 3rd rounder..This is a stupid arguement, because now it's a given, that Wilson has proven to be a 1st round talent that got dissed for being too short,,That kind of poor scouting judgement actually got a few guys sent down the road kicking horse turds.

    He won't garner an upper tier pick because nobody in the NFL values him that highly, it's been demonstrated in his FA period and it looks like it's being demonstrated now. Both the Bills and the Raiders will likely look to grab a QB in the draft, Flynn will be seen as a stop gap/come on in and compete type option and will garner a pick that reflects that.


    Little did he know at the time, but Pete didn't help us much by giving Flynn such a vanilla set last pre-season. It was all about game management and Flynn was clearly scared to death of turning the ball over. Throw in the hard charging rookie that was gaining favor with the coach and it was (I'm sure) a very hard situation for Flynn to showcase himself.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6640
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • pinksheets wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Agreed. Not only does Gus not play nicely, he inspires thoughts like this:

    "It's an ominous sign for Flynn's future as a viable starter that Bradley is reluctant to make a push for him after the two shared a season in Seattle. The same could be said for Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, who didn't pull the trigger on Flynn last offseason after tutoring the quarterback with the Green Bay Packers". :(


    Philbin thought because he had an inside track, that he could talk Flynn into signing for the cheap, and too, who would have expected that 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would blow the doors off in pre-Season and beyond?
    There's an arguement by FANSIDEDAILY, that says that Flynn won't garner any kind of upper tier Draft pick, because he couldn't even beat out a 3rd rounder..This is a stupid arguement, because now it's a given, that Wilson has proven to be a 1st round talent that got dissed for being too short,,That kind of poor scouting judgement actually got a few guys sent down the road kicking horse turds.

    He won't garner an upper tier pick because nobody in the NFL values him that highly, it's been demonstrated in his FA period and it looks like it's being demonstrated now. Both the Bills and the Raiders will likely look to grab a QB in the draft, Flynn will be seen as a stop gap/come on in and compete type option and will garner a pick that reflects that.


    On this we'll have to agree to dissagree.
    Flynn isn't as athletic or mobile as Wilson, but with the right System and RB threats, he could maybe surprise the hell out of the doubters.
    Flynn has NFL experience and there are NO certainty QB's in this Draft, so I'm betting that his 6TDs against the Lions ( GB record) will influence some to be taking a lot closer look at him, AND, JS will have a different Value Chart on him than most here on .NET
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3887
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • scutterhawk wrote:On this we'll have to agree to dissagree.
    Flynn isn't as athletic or mobile as Wilson, but with the right System and RB threats, he could maybe surprise the hell out of the doubters.
    Flynn has NFL experience and there are NO certainty QB's in this Draft, so I'm betting that his 6TDs against the Lions ( GB record) will influence some to be taking a lot closer look at him, AND, JS will have a different Value Chart on him than most here on .NET


    That game was over a year ago, if he wasn't wanted by that many teams a few months after that game, as a free agent what makes you think his demand is going to be higher with a team having to trade for him. I'd be surprised if he's worth more than a 5th round personally
    User avatar
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 562
    Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:46 pm


  • HawkWow wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    checkdanews wrote: Smith's a former #1 overall pick who recently led his team to the NFC Championship game, and has since warranted a high second round pick from the Chiefs.
    Haubaugh didn't put kap in because he didn't sign Manning, He put him in because Smith got a head injury, and Just never gave smith his job back. Smith was drafted high, and there were high expectations for him, but I blame him less then I blame whoever runs the show in SF. If Smith got the talent he needed around him, and the coaching he needs around him...then he would of had success early. He is a talented QB. BUT since the 9ers went from coach, to coach, to coach, to coach, he had a rough time finding himself, and I still don't blame him. I feel like some people think Haubaugh like gave him his talent, no he has always been talented, Haubaugh just gave him a gameplan, and gave him some confidence again after getting beat on year after year by fans, and media....Im not sure what you guys are talking about overall but I just wanted to say that. I think Smith has always been that talented, the 9ers were just horribly ran for most of his career there...


    IF Smith was all that, he would have taken his job back, Harbaugh figgured it out quick enough.


    Agreed. Harbaugh understood he wasn't going to keep up with the Jones' with a guy named Smith.

    I do think Smith was / is a very serviceable QB and could take the right team deep (think Dilfer). But he landed in KC so I guess we will never know.


    Smith picked up an injury and Kaepernick exploded in reserve, winning the job.

    It wasn't a passing of the torch. Had Smith not got injured, he would've remained the starter. He was among the statistically best ranked QB's in the NFL last year. It's not his fault Kaepernick played the way he did.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8282
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • According to Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, the scouting report among ex-Packers executives is that Matt Flynn's "lack of arm strength will eventually be exposed by opposing teams."
    The Raiders have been most heavily connected to a Flynn trade, but former Packers personnel man Reggie McKenzie is their GM. A deal makes sense on the surface because of McKenzie's quarterback need and Flynn familiarity, but he's not going to give up a high or even middle-round pick for a passer he's deemed incapable of starting-caliber performance. We're still skeptical that Flynn will be traded ahead of the draft for anything more than a sixth-round pick
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2635
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 4m
    Source says Seahawks engaged in trade discussions involving backup QB Matt Flynn and a deal appears "imminent.'' Trade partner unknown
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1256
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


  • Trade Flynn to the Raiders then trade our seventh round pick from Buffalo to the Browns for Colt McCoy. he be a better back up to Russell in our system.
    osprey3263
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 pm


  • Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m
    If a Flynn trade is imminent (as @Edwerderespn said), it's not #Bills. #Jaguars came out and said no yesterday. #Raiders an option, tho
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1256
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


PreviousNext


It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information