Is Red most likely going to be cut

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If recent history is anything to consider the simple reality of being given a big contract doesn't insure a player a place on the team if he fails to compete or becomes too expensive for his production. That said I believe the FO believes Red to be a a part of the core group on the team and wishes to keep him. As others have said he is a team leader and a huge part of the physical presence of the run D. I think he had a down year last season with the foot injury and will need to bounce back so his name isn't one for consideration of trimming to reduce the team's cap exposure.

Another thought is the D is quite a bit behind the O in terms of $ allocated to the defensive side of the ball and he will need to really under perform to be a cut candidate. strnger things have happened though as Obo and BMW were cut after being given big contracts they were unable to play up to earning.

cacksman

Reaction score
polarbill1999":14c2i51n said:
after this season unless he has a terrific year? I notice that we can't really cut him this year as his cap hit would be 10.6 million this year. If we cut him after this year his cap hit would only be 3 million next season vs the 8.5 million if he was there at the start of the season. Am I wrong in any of this math? If I am I see almost no way Big Red is back for 2014 unless he take a major pay cut. I wonder if the plan is to give Bennett a shot at both 5T and 3T some and if he pans out as well as stays healthy to sign him to a longer term contract in place of Red. I would really really like to see a more versatile player at LDE. The way Bennett was rated the last last couple of years he could be an upgrade at both run and pass defense. Plus Bennett offers the ability to slide inside on passing downs and be an above average pass rusher from DT.

I would feel very comfortable if Bennett and Scruggs were our 2 LDE's who can slide to 3T for 2014-2015.

I wonder if a similar situation will happen with Clemons as well after this year? His cap hit in 2014 would be 8.166 million if he is on the team or 2.166 if cut. I think we could be set for 2014 and the next couple of years with Irvin and Avril as our LEO options. With both Red and Clemons cut after this season the team would save 11.5 million in cap room in 2014 allowing them to lock down Sherm and ET long term.

Great post! I agree with everything you said. Hopefully Red can rebound after a subpar season.

kearly

Reaction score
Obviously they wouldn't cut him now. If they don't cut him he's $6.6 million against the cap, if they do cut him he's $10.6 million, meaning that we actually save $4 million this year by keeping him.

As far as next year, roster bonuses be avoided if you cut that player before the specified date. That means Seattle could release Bryant next season and only be on the hook for the $3 million remaining from his signing bonus and that would be it. If that's true, releasing him next year would save $1.5 million and get the team out of his huge 2015 and 2016 numbers.

Whenever you see a roster bonus put into a contract, it's basically a checkpoint. If the player has proven his worth by then, you keep him. If he hasn't, the roster bonus creates incentive to move in a different direction instead. So far Bryant hasn't made Seattle feel great about that contract, but next season could change that. Remember how we once thought that Zach Miller had no chance of seeing all that money this year? A good performance next season can change priorities.

Tical21

Reaction score
Come on people!! Wake up! There is much more to wins and losses than stats.

The past two days I've had to read threads about how expendable Browner and Chancellor are. Now this.

Question...what makes our defense so feared? Could it be the big bad-arsed MF's that have to be dealt with?

We have the biggest, hardest hitting safety on this planet.
We have the biggest, most physical corner on this planet.
We have the biggest, best run-stopping 4-3 DE on this planet.

And these guys are the three most expendable?

These three have more to do with our defensive identity than anybody else, including Sherman and Thomas. If you don't think the psychological effect these guys have on opposing players and coaches influences wins and losses, I can't help you.

Red is going to have to re-work his number. I'm sure even he knows that. But Pete and John know how important he is to our success, and there aren't any other 4-3 teams that would pay him to play DE. The big man isn't going anywhere.

jewhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably close to 100% that Red either restructures (for a significant lower salary) or gets cut next year. The way his contract was structured, it was essentially a 2-year, $15.25 million deal with high-priced, non-guaranteed 2014-16 figures he was unlikely to ever see. His 2012 and 2013 base salaries were fully guaranteed, but there is no guaranteed money in the contract after 2013. His 2014 cap number is $9.125 million or he can be cut with a cap hit of $3 million (the pro-rated amount of his signing bonus), meaning the team would save $6.125 million against the cap by cutting him next year. Red is a fine role player, but run stopping D-lineman just aren't worth that kind of money in the NFL.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I don't see him being cut, but if he does not play at a higher level this year, come next offseason I could see the FO wanting to restructure his deal.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
pehawk":24znrbyb said:
No way. He's a leader on the team. He stays.

Agree with you but I'm so glad the team is being run with business in mind, not just sentiments. Yeah we'd love to see all these guys stay here until they are 35 and retire with 5 rings but that's not realistic. Some guys will give way to cheaper players, new leaders will arise and develop. New fan favorites as well. You keep guys who are the top 3 of their position, a guy like Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman. Anyone else, you keep them IF it works for the team and the player.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Tical21":3perq4ud said:
Come on people!! Wake up! There is much more to wins and losses than stats.

The past two days I've had to read threads about how expendable Browner and Chancellor are. Now this.

Question...what makes our defense so feared? Could it be the big bad-arsed MF's that have to be dealt with?

We have the biggest, hardest hitting safety on this planet.
We have the biggest, most physical corner on this planet.
We have the biggest, best run-stopping 4-3 DE on this planet.

And these guys are the three most expendable?

These three have more to do with our defensive identity than anybody else, including Sherman and Thomas. If you don't think the psychological effect these guys have on opposing players and coaches influences wins and losses, I can't help you.

Red is going to have to re-work his number. I'm sure even he knows that. But Pete and John know how important he is to our success, and there aren't any other 4-3 teams that would pay him to play DE. The big man isn't going anywhere.

Sherman and Thomas make up for alot of what our D does they cannot be lost in the secondary everyone else is replacable. Red is good but Bennett could be better in both the run and pass. Red is a good run defender but can't generate a good pass rush from the left side on 1st n 2nd down and that is what seattle needs to maximize its D. Red is kinda one dimensional and teams can game plan around that.

BASF

Reaction score
Red was having a very good September with pushing the pocket on passing downs and controlling his gap on runs, but the injury took hold. For the people who said that we couldn't since he is one of the leaders on the team, so was Leon Washington. We got a younger better version of Leon and we let him go. I will quote Pete, "I would replace Earl Thomas if I could find a better player." We will always look to upgrade over anyone with this front office. That is the way a franchise should be run. There are a lot of posters who are talking about our draft choices having no chance to make the team, but I will tell you right now that as soon as they are drafted they are going to be expected to take the incumbents roster spot. If they can't they won't make the team, but they will be given the opportunity.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3h0ym7rf said:
Yea I think Big Red and Clemons both have absolutely has been put on notice that they need to perform this year considering how much they get paid. If Michael Bennett gets double digit sacks you can bet the front office will want him back, especially if Big Red doesn't get any or if Clemons doesn't return to form.

yep!