NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksheets

Reaction score
So it's actually looking like that timeframe for existing minority owners to "match" Hanesn's offer may have passed and be officially over tomorrow. At least that's the reading from Michael McCann on Twitter. The existing owners don't have Right of First Refusal, which means any offer made to buy the team or a part of the team must be brought to them and allowed to match. They instead have Right of First Opportunity, which means that when the team or part of the team goes up for sale, they are told and offered a chance to buy. Now also keep in mind that Chris was pre-approved as a bidder for this 7% by the NBA, the only person to have gone through that process. There's also the wrinkle that this stake is held in bankruptcy court and the sale will be approved by a judge. Do you think the NBA is going to reject Chris buying the 7% after approving him as a bidder and then telling a bankruptcy judge that the deal he approved is garbage and to start this process over? Doubt it. Tomorrow could be very interesting, and something tells me if Chris gets the 7% it's a strong indication of where this is headed.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Throwdown":qbewfdid said:
strohmin":qbewfdid said:
I wish there was a way to show my appreciation to Chris Hansen for what he is doing for Seattle. Whatever happens, the guy is doing everything possible and making every right move he can to make this happen. The guy is my hero.

Petition for a "Thank you Chris" day? lol

But I think he's doing this because he's a fan as well. So I think the reward for him is having the NBA back in his hometown, and owning them like he's always wanted, he's almost a super fan! I read somewhere that Hansen would write letters to Schultz back in the day, telling him that one day he was going to own the Sonics after him. He's from Seattle, a Seahawks fan, Mariners fan, Sonics fan, torn Huskies fan because he went to SDSU so he's also an Aztec alum. I sound stalkerish.

:shock: CREEPY :p

pinksheets

Reaction score
Hansen is like 44, Schultz bought the team in what 2001? Wouldn't that mean Chris was writing the guy about his big dream to someday own the Sonics in his early 30s? lol

The Outfield

Reaction score
pinksheets, sorry, what is happening tomorrow that makes it a big day? So many dates, I'm losing track.

Edit: Oh never mind, tomorrow is the end of the time frame for minority owners to match the offer?

pinksheets

Reaction score
That's what it looks like. The trustee is supposedly submitting a motion to make the sale to Hansen official.

Throwdown

Reaction score
So tomorrow... After Hansen becomes an official minority owner of the Kings, that barrage of ignorance from Johnson gets snuffed by Hansen's power move?

And like Pink said, If the NBA okay'd him to bid on that 7%, they're going to approve him and that should give us all a nice breath of fresh air of where the NBA is leaning.

pinksheets

Reaction score
And even if Chris's PSA with the Maloofs was voted down, he'd still likely be granted minority ownership, which comes with Right of First Opportunity, before a sale to the Sacramento group was submitted and finalized. Hansen would have minority owner rights to have first dibs on buying the team at that point. Let's see what goes down tomorrow.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
pinksheets":2aar2ref said:
And even if Chris's PSA with the Maloofs was voted down, he'd still likely be granted minority ownership, which comes with Right of First Opportunity, before a sale to the Sacramento group was submitted and finalized. Hansen would have minority owner rights to have first dibs on buying the team at that point. Let's see what goes down tomorrow.

Man I really hope thats the case, but I just have a gut feeling that Sac-Town is gonna manage to come in and get the 7% at the last minute.

Shaz

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1wmoud5k said:
pinksheets":1wmoud5k said:

Man I really hope thats the case, but I just have a gut feeling that Sac-Town is gonna manage to come in and get the 7% at the last minute.

Calm down

You are Chicken Little right now

Everything is going to be ok

CPHawk

Reaction score
So if the Sonics do come back, does this mean that Franklin HS grad and Seattle native Silva won't be welcome on the team? :D

Oregon coach Dana Altman said he’s seen the type of speed and quickness that U of L has in its press before, but it’s 11 guys and they’re on the Ducks football team.

“It’s almost the same situation that our football team runs into when teams are trying to get ready for them,” Altman said. “They play so much faster and their team speed is different I don’t think teams can really get ready for our football team.”

Ironically Peyton Siva appreciated the comparison. Siva said he watched Oregon football “all the time” and he “cheered for them this whole year.”

“I love their style of play, they like to get out they like to run,” Siva said. “I love Oregon football – plus their jerseys are just the best in college, so why not root for them?"

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ulbeat ... n-keep-up/

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Snohomie":1f871k7c said:
If KJ's takeaway from Seattle's fiasco was that the team left because of fan support, we're golden. I don't believe that is his takeaway at all, but if it were true it would mean he has no idea what is important to the NBA and that would sink his chances of keeping the Kings.

Johnson's campaign has been run mostly on an emotional level. It probably sounds good to the Sacramento fans he works for, but the NBA isn't going to make this ruling based on such niceties. Owners will vote for a combination of:
1.) Do I want to restrict my ability to sell to whatever solvent backer I choose?
2.) Which move will add more value to my team?
3.) Which owner do I like more? (probably only likely if prior relationship with the owner)
4.) Do I want to give Seattle the middle finger or take the bulls eye sign off my back? (Clay Bennett only, though if any other NBA owner has a relationship with Sacramento that reverse could be in play)
KJ said the local $ was making an "aggressive bid" on the Kings, when they were 100 million below Hanson's bid - KJ lost all credibility at that point. KJ is a politician. He lies. Don't worry about what KJ says - you might as well listen to some wetbrain drunk on the street.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
pinksheets":1424iw6x said:
And which team will bring in more money? Seattle, unquestionably. Sac might be the 20th tv market based on tv households, but it ranks lower when you factor in economics like retail spending per capita, median income, unemployment, etc. etc. Not to even Seattle is going to get a huge TV deal that Sac couldn't dream of. The owners have to vote against economic interests in favor of some idea of fairness or sentimentality. Maybe they do, but I just haven't seen anything to suggest that's the direction they'll take. Maybe Sacramento, with its new ownership, stops being a revenue sharing beneficiary, but it's not going to be the wealthy luxury tax paying team that Hansen and Ballmer will look to field in Seattle. The NBA would unquestionably be losing money, at least in terms of what it could make, if they decide to forgo Seattle to keep a team in a market like Sacramento. Yeah they've got good attendance history, but that's not where the real money is, not anymore.
What a great post, pink. For those and other reasons, the fact of the matter is that if the Kings turn into the Sonics, all the teams in the NBA will increase in value by %30. This is hundreds of millions of $ the owners will be voting themselves when they vote to approve the Hanson sale.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
strohmin":tg0bd7tk said:
I wish there was a way to show my appreciation to Chris Hansen for what he is doing for Seattle. Whatever happens, the guy is doing everything possible and making every right move he can to make this happen. The guy is my hero.
Chris Hanson will never have to buy another drink in Seattle for the rest of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts