If we trade Flynn, does Carson Palmer come here?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Hawknballs":21dvkjfm said:
v1rotv2":21dvkjfm said:
I disagree. This offense is now built around having the threat of a mobile QB. Every defense in the league knows that Palmer is about as mobile as a lamp post. I just don't see that threat going away just because we lost the starting QB. My belief is JS/PC will find a mobile QB in the draft and with RW mentoring him he'll be up to speed fairly quick.

So you think we're running the option if Matt Flynn has to play. . .?

With weapons like Lynch, Miller, Rice, Tate, and now Harvin, we don't need a 'mobile threat' to have a good offense, and if we are seriously tailoring our offense around a mobile QB we are setting ourselves up for failure.

More than half the reason Wilson was as 'mobile" as he was last year was because of bad/inconsistent guard play, not design.

Flynn was a goner the minute RW was named the starter. This offense grew from RW's skills not from Flynn's. Flynn is obsolete in this offense. The team is going down a different road from when we got Flynn. At most Flynn is here for one more season and in the mean time a mobile QB will be named the #3 until Flynn is officially gone.

I am not saying that the whole offense is on RW's mobility but that this offense presents a paramount threat that most be accounted for. Obviously you get the ball to the play makers but remember RW is a play maker too. Keeping the linebackers and corners close to the line of scrimmage does wonders for the short and intermediate passing game and you achieve that by having another facet available besides the running backs. By not using a mobile QB from time to time you allow the defense to focus solely on Marshawn or whoever is running the ball.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":f8cs3q9g said:
I heard the team would want Tyler Thigpen given his athleticism

I wouldn't want to touch Palmer with a ten foot pole. His best days are long behind him. Would rather keep Flynn honestly.

I have been bouncing Thigpen around for while too. He is athletic enough to run option sometimes, has starting experience...Like it.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think it would make more sense to get Pryor as a back up if we were to get a QB. Palmer won't be here. There are too many teams who need a Starting QB for Palmer to sign as a back up. Don't be surprised to see AZ draft Barkley and sign Palmer to give the young former USC QB to learn from the old former USC QB.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I kind of doubt we will continue running the option if Wilson were out. It has risk and you are looking at your 3rd string if your back up gets hurt.

I'd be surprised if he landed here as I just don't think he would ignore all the money and starting opportunities but I could be wrong. Maybe he just wants to kick back and get a ring while being united with Carroll.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":12f1tbyq said:
I would sign Palmer in a nanosecond to back up Wilson.

You couldn't even pick up a pen that fast. This post is not based in reality.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1osl6ae3 said:
Scottemojo":1osl6ae3 said:
I would sign Palmer in a nanosecond to back up Wilson.

You couldn't even pick up a pen that fast. This post is not based in reality.
Shut up, nerd.

kf3339

Reaction score
Rat":11s8rdyf said:
I'm confused. When did the option become our base offense?

It's not. but some seem to think seeing it a few times a game makes it our base offense.

As for Palmer, I doubt he would come here since I think he stills has a few solid years left as a starter, and Arizona has many of the tools he could use to be very effective.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Rat":2xareewx said:

people seem to think that russell wilson spent years studying drew brees because of Brees' ability to run the read option.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would rather have our backup be somewhat like Russell in that he can run the read-option if need be, don't think Carson can do that.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawknballs":4jl332x2 said:
Rat":4jl332x2 said:

people seem to think that russell wilson spent years studying drew brees because of Brees' ability to run the read option.
Huh??

What ability?

I'm corn-fused. :Dunno:

kearly

Reaction score
Palmer would be a good get if he's dirt cheap. Finding a read option capable QB is very tough this year, anyway.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
kearly":2ddktnsd said:
Palmer would be a good get if he's dirt cheap. Finding a read option capable QB is very tough this year, anyway.

That may be true if you didn't have JS as your GM. Yes sir that is correct!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
People need to stop with this "we need a mobile back-up" nonsense. Yes, having a Russell Wilson clone as his back-up would be ideal, but it's far from necessary. You don't pass on a better QB just because he's less mobile than the next guy. Would you rather have Flynn or Joe Webb in a pinch?

Look at the Redskins. They relied on the read option more than anyone. Yet they still won two games when Cousins had to fill in. He even looked very good doing so.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
does anyone think russell wilson is getting together with his receivers in the offseason so they can practice blocking for his scrambles?