VY for Backup? (Reported Seahawks Interest)

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Free agent Vince Young worked out at the University of Texas' Pro Day Tuesday.
    "I think I did OK," Young told NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal. "Mostly it was just being here for the guys. That was my mindset and just showing the rest of the scouts that I'm still training and staying in shape." Although NFL.com's Gil Brandt said Young "put on a show," V.Y. knows he's not assured of landing a contract. "My agent is working on it," he said. "All I know is we got some teams with interest, so that's the good part about it. Just hoping for that blessing and opportunity." - Per Rotoworld

That's all i need to hear.
    Last edited by TheRealDTM on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Re: VY for Backup?
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:41 pm
  • Im for it.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 pm
  • Yeah VY had the charachter problems but seemed to grow up a little and he's not a T-Jack guy with some talent but not a lot, he's long on talent and if more mature now could win us some games should we need him.

I'm with Pete and John's stated position of keeping Flynn, but as desperate as some teams are, you got to listen to the offers and consider all options.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:32 pm
  • I dont want Mr. Suicide Watch anywhere near the team. No thanks
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:45 pm
  • Ok ok, he's had problems in the past, who hasn't been depressed? (it's also very possible he's gay, which would be brutal for a pro athlete i'd guess.)

Could you imagine if russell wilson's work ethic rubbed off on him? I mean Russell is a guy who gets 150% out of his body, imagine if vince got 100%?
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:46 pm
  • I'd be happy bringing him to camp to see what happens.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm
  • The main thing that concerns me about Vince Young is that acquiring Tarvaris Jackson made him expendable in Buffalo.

I've always kind of liked him as a player. Strange dude, but he struggles with a lot of the same stuff I do, so I can't really criticize. If he's humble enough to take a minimal contract, I'd be more than fine taking a flyer on him.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 pm
  • I'm all for signing him, but only if we include a clause in his contract that forbids him from dubbing the Seahawks the "Dream Team."
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 am
  • He can join the team as one of the Sea Gals.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am
  • It's not like we have a logjam at #3 QB that is unbreakable. We usually want a 4th QB in camp anyway. Why not bring him in?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:35 am
  • Rat wrote:The main thing that concerns me about Vince Young is that acquiring Tarvaris Jackson made him expendable in Buffalo.

I've always kind of liked him as a player. Strange dude, but he struggles with a lot of the same stuff I do, so I can't really criticize. If he's humble enough to take a minimal contract, I'd be more than fine taking a flyer on him.

Obviously, I agree with your reasons for not criticizing.

As far as Buffalo, I read it as VY is a starter and they wanted to give Fitz one more shot. I'm not sure a coaching staff sees VY as a realistic bridge type, like Tjack is. If VY came in and played like he's capable of, Chan couldn't realistically bench Fitz.

Pete's in the minority when it comes to "let them compete for the job". Every other coach factors in salary and politics (for lack of a better word). It took Homgren awhile to go to Dilfer. IMO, Chan wanted to avoid that type of circumstance.

Only Zeb would scream "TJ, TJ, TJ!!!" in Ralph Wilson, even if he clearly outplayed Fitz.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:40 am
  • In Buffalo VY also didn't fit as he isn't the best pocket passer. Not sure how TJack wsa the right backup instead but simply from a backup to RW perspective I think VY is perfect.

Sure had some issues but the guy is flat out broke right now. An opportunity to make good but not great money for a few more years should be something he is very interested in...........
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:42 am
  • Reportedly, when Vince worked out at the Texas Pro Day, he was asked to present a some sort of financial plan by some teams. If I was him, I would avoid titling my financial plan "I ain't stupid no mo".

Would Vince Jeff Gillooly Russell Wilson's leg if his contract was a bit too incentive laden? I think he might. Birthday parties aren't cheap.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 am
  • I think the best place for Vince would be here in the "program" environment Pete has built. Its slightly different than Fisher's old-school and Andy Reids "why run the ball?" approaches.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am
  • pehawk wrote:I think the best place for Vince would be here in the "program" environment Pete has built. Its slightly different than Fisher's old-school and Andy Reids "why run the ball?" approaches.

We all have our Rex Grossman's in the closet. PeHawk's Rex Grossman just happens to be Vince Young.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:55 am
  • A few years from now VY and Rex will square off in the Arena Bowl. All debts and bragging rights will be paid off at that time. I envision something like the Baptism scene in Godfather while that Arena Bowl is being played out.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:29 pm
  • This is one move I'd be strongly against, I don't care about his potential we can get potential in the draft I don't want a headcase at QB and VY has not proven to be anything but.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:We all have our Rex Grossman's in the closet. PeHawk's Rex Grossman just happens to be Vince Young.

Mine was Mark Sanchez up until the complete humiliation that was his 2012 season. Who's yours?
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:29 am
  • kearly wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:We all have our Rex Grossman's in the closet. PeHawk's Rex Grossman just happens to be Vince Young.

Mine was Mark Sanchez up until the complete humiliation that was his 2012 season. Who's yours?

If I didn't plea "Eli Manning had very similar stats his first couple of years" a million times to people over Sanchez, I'd be a better man today.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 am
  • kearly wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:We all have our Rex Grossman's in the closet. PeHawk's Rex Grossman just happens to be Vince Young.

Rex Grossman. It's unhealthy.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    kearly wrote:

Rex Grossman. It's unhealthy.

And Weurful, Kannell, Leak, etc. Scotte just loves him some Ol Ball Coach and Gators.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    kearly wrote:Rex Grossman. It's unhealthy.

And Weurful, Kannell, Leak, etc. Scotte just loves him some Ol Ball Coach and Gators.

I do have a weakness for the Ol' ball coach, but not those other 3 schlubs. Me an Coach have a kinship because we both will drop important work to play golf anytime, anywhere.

I am a one Grossman guy. I think I have been obsessed with him ever since he kept his job after having one of the worst football games of all time vs the Cards in the "Crown their Ass" Monday night game. After just kicking our ass on a Monday night game the year before, IIRC. That kind of inconsistency is just plain hypnotic.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 am
  • Rex would've been great under Martz, IMO. They would've completed each other.

Anyone that doesn't like Spurrier doesn't like football...and most likely is female.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:54 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Ok ok, he's had problems in the past, who hasn't been depressed? (it's also very possible he's gay, which would be brutal for a pro athlete i'd guess.)

Could you imagine if russell wilson's work ethic rubbed off on him? I mean Russell is a guy who gets 150% out of his body, imagine if vince got 100%?

And I can think of no greater hell for a gay man than having to share a locker room with a straight Russell Wilson.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:09 am
  • If VY's a gay, that'll take my obsession up a notch. How wonderful!
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 am
  • Even if Russell Wilson's work ethic rubbed off on Vince, his intelligence and good judgment would not. I think we will find a better option.
    godawg
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 am
  • When VY went 30-17 as a starter for the Titans, it wasn't him. It was the innovative offensive gameplan and GREAT WR's like Justin Gage. Young was carried, not the other way around.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:04 pm
  • Don't even let that guy through the door he's bad luck might be a good guy but he's the bad luck guy.

I've watched Celtic Pride
    Lynch Mob
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:36 pm
  • Rat wrote:The main thing that concerns me about Vince Young is that acquiring Tarvaris Jackson made him expendable in Buffalo.

This, I believe he has a 31-19 record as an NFL starter. He has his issues, he's not a great passer but the guy has an amazing will to win. When he took down Pete's team at SC in the Rose Bowl that was one of the single best performances I've ever seen.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:45 pm
  • pehawk wrote:When VY went 30-17 as a starter for the Titans, it wasn't him. It was the innovative offensive gameplan and GREAT WR's like Justin Gage. Young was carried, not the other way around.

Great WR's like Justin Gage? Come on dude, that Titans team had no business being as good as they were. Vince is not a great traditional QB but the dude has always been excellent with the game on the line.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:53 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    pehawk wrote:When VY went 30-17 as a starter for the Titans, it wasn't him. It was the innovative offensive gameplan and GREAT WR's like Justin Gage. Young was carried, not the other way around.

Great WR's like Justin Gage? Come on dude, that Titans team had no business being as good as they were. Vince is not a great traditional QB but the dude has always been excellent with the game on the line.

Umm, I was being sarcastic. I've wanted Vince here for awhile. It's perfect now, because he'd ride the bench.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    WestcoastSteve wrote:
    pehawk wrote:When VY went 30-17 as a starter for the Titans, it wasn't him. It was the innovative offensive gameplan and GREAT WR's like Justin Gage. Young was carried, not the other way around.

Umm, I was being sarcastic. I've wanted Vince here for awhile. It's perfect now, because he'd ride the bench.

Lol...I agree with you tho. I wouldn't mind VY as a backup. He wouldn't cost too much and there's too many strong personalities to let VY mess up a good thing. Plus the first sign of trouble and he's out the door like another former Titan, Lendale White.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:53 pm
  • Quite like the idea of getting Vince Young in. We've got a good history of working with guys with issues - I reckon we could do the same with him, and he could be useful. I say we get him in and see what he can do. If we like him then great, sign him up. If not, I say we go get Colt McCoy (rumour is we're considering this for a 7th round pick). I reckon he's the best QB the Browns have, they're just too daft to realise. If we're looking at Colt, we'd have traded Flynn and will have an extra pick from that, so to lose one to Cleveland would be no big deal.

VY will cost more that Colt of course, but if the coaches like what they see then I reckon he'll be better. If he seems a bit lacking, get McCoy in.

We're in a great position as far as I can see. Fantastic starter, and an excellent back up currently. If we get rid of our backup there are a fair few viable options for backups this year (not so great on starters).
    Last edited by sjbravo on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    sjbravo
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:11 am
  • Everytime we get a guy "with issues" how long does he last?

Do we really need to waste a spot on another?

I would rather draft a late round QB.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Everytime we get a guy "with issues" how long does he last?

Well, it really depends on what you call "issues". We'd better hope we can hold on to such guys because we've got a few. We're being bombarded with articles about Percy Harvin's "issues" (often from depressed Vikings fans). When we picked up Bruce Irvin, we were told he had "academic issues" that put other teams off and that he was a "risk". If the coaches reckon they could handle Young - I reckon they could and he may be useful. If they don't think they can, they won't grab him.

I think we've got a decent record of seeing things in players that other teams don't. Not only that, but I also believe that we can get more out of such players than anyone else in the league.

At the end of the day though, we're talking about a back up QB and whether or not the risk is worth it depends on how important that position is.
    sjbravo
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:34 pm
  • I say this with very close second hand knowlege, that VY is a mental midget. Id take TJack ALL DAY long before I would let this guy even darken the VMAC doorstep. Other than his athleticism he has zero redeeming football qualities.

Knowing the antics he pulled in Tenn, and knowing how the team is run, VY wouldnt last a week in this team.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:47 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Everytime we get a guy "with issues" how long does he last?

Yep not sure we can really spare one of the 95 friggen initial roster spots to try and find a backup.. which we lack at the moment
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 pm
  • Chukarhawk wrote:I say this with very close second hand knowlege, that VY is a mental midget. Id take TJack ALL DAY long before I would let this guy even darken the VMAC doorstep. Other than his athleticism he has zero redeeming football qualities.

Knowing the antics he pulled in Tenn, and knowing how the team is run, VY wouldnt last a week in this team.

So then... why is Tjacks career record god awful... with a better team than Vince Young had in Tenn. ?

Heck you could even say the Vikings team he was on was better than the Titans at that point
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:04 pm
  • Chukarhawk wrote:I say this with very close second hand knowlege.

LMAO. So read it online in a blog? Friend of of a close friend's cousin? :)

Sorry couldn't resist
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm
  • Bumping this up, and the other VY threads should be merged, somewhere. There's a report Seahawks have interest.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• My thinking is that there's no question that Vince Young has a lot of talent, and is a physical specimen with protypical size, cannon arm, and able to scramble.

The knocks against him are his decision-making, mental makeup, and football IQ.

As long as we offer him a deal that is incentive-laden and protects our organization financially, I say why not? Our organization has shown that we've been able to stabilize the careers and promote success from players of troubled backgrounds/reputations. Pete Carroll has a way of connecting with, and encouraging, players that most traditional coaches deem "unworkable." From Mike Williams, to LenDale White, to Marshawn Lynch and Percy Harvin, I think if anyone can get the most out of Vince Young, it would be Pete Carroll.

His football IQ, reading defenses, going through progressions, can all be improved with good coaching, and Vince Young would have time behind Russell Wilson to be coached by the Seahawks staff, influenced by Russell Wilson, and learn our schemes.

I know Vince Young has "dropped the ball" and made mistakes in the past that really messed with his NFL career, but the Seattle Seahawks have been well-rewarded for giving players a second chance. There's no question adding Vince Young adds dynamic talent to our team. The real question is whether we'll be able to work with him and make him work for our team.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

• You know how bad this would be??? Washington has by far the highest suicide rate in the country, and Vince Young is going to live here 8 months out of the year? He would be signing his life away the moment he signed his contract

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• Good frames, bad lenses.

Maybe bring him in for camp and see but have a competitive back up situation with another.

No brain there but maybe Pete can make him a viable backup.

I'd vote no if it were up to me.
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Starter

• He can emulate running QBs in practice (considering he's faster/better runner than even RW), make any throw you ask of him and can be gameplanned for. NO we don't run Russel Wilson AKA future peyton manning 2.0 offense with him but he can SURE AS HELL run an option, throw it deep and hand it off. What the hell more do you guys want for a cheap backup?

No he's not a elite QB at reading defenses, that's something that can come with age and maturity (study habbits etc.). I think it's safe to say he has more god given talent than RW, if we could get him studying and gameplan around his inadequacies he can win 2 games.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information