question for sonics fans about clay Bennett, getting kings

dotah

Reaction score
I haven't heard this talked about on sports radio anywhere. It may be nothing but here it goes.

As far as I recall when clay Bennett purchased the Sonics the agreement with the city was that if Seattle didn't have a team by a certain year the Oklahoma group would owe the city Of Seattle (30 million guess). So I'm wondering what year that deal was to become due? Also, with clay Bennett being head of relocation commitee and being in David Sterns back pocket; would David Stern be more OPEN to the move of the Kings to Seattle? I realize that the money isn't a huge amount for multi-millionaires and the relocation takes a owners vote. However, this seems like a strange possible conflict of interest?

This could be my conspiracy thoery or a whole lot of BS.

I am very curious of the facts and other members opinion on this subject.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
dotah":2io34wg1 said:
Also, with clay Bennett being head of relocation commitee and being in David Sterns back pocket; would David Stern be more OPEN to the move of the Kings to Seattle? I realize that the money isn't a huge amount for multi-millionaires and the relocation takes a owners vote.

Good question. Who knows what's in Stern's and Bennett's heads. Do they have any guilt or regrets with what went down with the Sonics? Deep down? Who knows. Would this make them more likely to try and get a team back here?

Or maybe they just don't care, and will make a purely business decision.

chris98251

Reaction score
Nickels screwed that up as well, if they had a bonafied plan for a new arena they would have got some money, that didn't happen.

Bennett and Stern both want to wash their hands of the way the Seattle situation went down, if Seattle gets the Kings I expect Bennett to return anything pretty much requested for the Sonics history. He wants to change the image he has developed here as well as Stern. The Thunder all but buried anything Sonics and really want that aspect of where they came from to go away and be forgotton much like the Ravens in Baltimore, the Your Cleveland relocated talk went away once Cleveland got a team again.