VY for Backup? (Reported Seahawks Interest)

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Free agent Vince Young worked out at the University of Texas' Pro Day Tuesday.
"I think I did OK," Young told NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal. "Mostly it was just being here for the guys. That was my mindset and just showing the rest of the scouts that I'm still training and staying in shape." Although NFL.com's Gil Brandt said Young "put on a show," V.Y. knows he's not assured of landing a contract. "My agent is working on it," he said. "All I know is we got some teams with interest, so that's the good part about it. Just hoping for that blessing and opportunity." - Per Rotoworld

That's all i need to hear.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Yeah VY had the charachter problems but seemed to grow up a little and he's not a T-Jack guy with some talent but not a lot, he's long on talent and if more mature now could win us some games should we need him.

I'm with Pete and John's stated position of keeping Flynn, but as desperate as some teams are, you got to listen to the offers and consider all options.

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Ok ok, he's had problems in the past, who hasn't been depressed? (it's also very possible he's gay, which would be brutal for a pro athlete i'd guess.)

Could you imagine if russell wilson's work ethic rubbed off on him? I mean Russell is a guy who gets 150% out of his body, imagine if vince got 100%?

Rat

Reaction score
The main thing that concerns me about Vince Young is that acquiring Tarvaris Jackson made him expendable in Buffalo.

I've always kind of liked him as a player. Strange dude, but he struggles with a lot of the same stuff I do, so I can't really criticize. If he's humble enough to take a minimal contract, I'd be more than fine taking a flyer on him.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm all for signing him, but only if we include a clause in his contract that forbids him from dubbing the Seahawks the "Dream Team."

JesterHawk

Reaction score
It's not like we have a logjam at #3 QB that is unbreakable. We usually want a 4th QB in camp anyway. Why not bring him in?

pehawk

Reaction score
Rat":1g53njxw said:
The main thing that concerns me about Vince Young is that acquiring Tarvaris Jackson made him expendable in Buffalo.

I've always kind of liked him as a player. Strange dude, but he struggles with a lot of the same stuff I do, so I can't really criticize. If he's humble enough to take a minimal contract, I'd be more than fine taking a flyer on him.

Obviously, I agree with your reasons for not criticizing.

As far as Buffalo, I read it as VY is a starter and they wanted to give Fitz one more shot. I'm not sure a coaching staff sees VY as a realistic bridge type, like Tjack is. If VY came in and played like he's capable of, Chan couldn't realistically bench Fitz.

Pete's in the minority when it comes to "let them compete for the job". Every other coach factors in salary and politics (for lack of a better word). It took Homgren awhile to go to Dilfer. IMO, Chan wanted to avoid that type of circumstance.

Only Zeb would scream "TJ, TJ, TJ!!!" in Ralph Wilson, even if he clearly outplayed Fitz.

mikeak

Reaction score
In Buffalo VY also didn't fit as he isn't the best pocket passer. Not sure how TJack wsa the right backup instead but simply from a backup to RW perspective I think VY is perfect.

Sure had some issues but the guy is flat out broke right now. An opportunity to make good but not great money for a few more years should be something he is very interested in...........

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Reportedly, when Vince worked out at the Texas Pro Day, he was asked to present a some sort of financial plan by some teams. If I was him, I would avoid titling my financial plan "I ain't stupid no mo".

Would Vince Jeff Gillooly Russell Wilson's leg if his contract was a bit too incentive laden? I think he might. Birthday parties aren't cheap.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think the best place for Vince would be here in the "program" environment Pete has built. Its slightly different than Fisher's old-school and Andy Reids "why run the ball?" approaches.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2ee9jeue said:
I think the best place for Vince would be here in the "program" environment Pete has built. Its slightly different than Fisher's old-school and Andy Reids "why run the ball?" approaches.

We all have our Rex Grossman's in the closet. PeHawk's Rex Grossman just happens to be Vince Young.

pehawk

Reaction score
A few years from now VY and Rex will square off in the Arena Bowl. All debts and bragging rights will be paid off at that time. I envision something like the Baptism scene in Godfather while that Arena Bowl is being played out.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
This is one move I'd be strongly against, I don't care about his potential we can get potential in the draft I don't want a headcase at QB and VY has not proven to be anything but.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ozkpb02 said:
We all have our Rex Grossman's in the closet. PeHawk's Rex Grossman just happens to be Vince Young.

Mine was Mark Sanchez up until the complete humiliation that was his 2012 season. Who's yours?

pinksheets

Reaction score
kearly":gywuxlso said:
Scottemojo":gywuxlso said:

Mine was Mark Sanchez up until the complete humiliation that was his 2012 season. Who's yours?
If I didn't plea "Eli Manning had very similar stats his first couple of years" a million times to people over Sanchez, I'd be a better man today.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":13hw6624 said:
Scottemojo":13hw6624 said:

Rex Grossman. It's unhealthy.