CBS Power Rankings

kearly

Reaction score
I feel like the Seahawks are objectively the #1 team, and it's just a matter of whether you accept that idea or not. They finished #1 in DVOA last season, they had one of the 10 best DVOA seasons since 1991, and they had a shot at breaking the weighted DVOA record going into week 17. Their rise from 2009 to 2012 is one of the largest in NFL history.

Since the end of the 2012 season they've added a pair of top five free agents to their pass rush and traded for a guy that would have likely been the #1 free agent had he been available. Most of their team is young and still trending up. Not only is this the best team in the NFL, people should start asking themselves if this might be a potential dynasty team- the evil team everyone hates because you can't stop them- something like the current Miami Heat team but in the NFL. This team is rapidly approaching an historic classification in terms of talent, IMO.

This is a team that became the first in the Superbowl era to score 150 points over 3 weeks, AND they finished with the #1 scoring defense and a top 3 special teams group. You can attempt to make a case for other teams, but it's not a very convincing one compared to Seattle.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
kearly":rsaf9irn said:
I feel like the Seahawks are objectively the #1 team, and it's just a matter of whether you accept that idea or not. They finished #1 in DVOA last season, they had one of the 10 best DVOA seasons since 1991, and they had a shot at breaking the weighted DVOA record going into week 17. Their rise from 2009 to 2012 is one of the largest in NFL history.

Since the end of the 2012 season they've added a pair of top five free agents to their pass rush and traded for a guy that would have likely been the #1 free agent had he been available. Most of their team is young and still trending up. Not only is this the best team in the NFL, people should start asking themselves if this might be a potential dynasty team- the evil team everyone hates because you can't stop them- something like the current Miami Heat team but in the NFL. This team is rapidly approaching an historic classification in terms of talent, IMO.

This is a team that became the first in the Superbowl era to score 150 points over 3 weeks, AND they finished with the #1 scoring defense and a top 3 special teams group. You can attempt to make a case for other teams, but it's not a very convincing one compared to Seattle.

Talk like this scares me, because we are one injury away from you having to look back and say, 'What was I thinking?'

I think on paper we are the best, but at the same time, I think there are too many teams too close for us to feel quite that assured of success. Perhaps I've been a Seahawk fan too long? Maybe that's why talk like the quoted post scares me.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Love his reasoning. The Bronco's will just grab someone to fill in Dummerville's spot and the Niners are good because they have 14 picks.

You really shouldn't ignore the loss of Welker even with Amendola. Amendola needs to show he can stay healthy and even then is a huge step down from Welker. There is chemistry to consider too.

Not even a mention of Harbin for the hawks and the additions of Avril and Bennett are being combined as a replacement for Clemons. Sorry but that is ignoring reality or better described as ignorance.

This IMO is a fluff piece designed to get the most readers from the larger fan bases. Way to many assumptions for the favored teams while ignoring factors for others.

hawker84

Reaction score
aaaaahhh.. that's more like it... back to being underestimated... feels good like an old pair of worn out levi's..

JesterHawk

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":1gtelvev said:
kearly":1gtelvev said:

Talk like this scares me, because we are one injury away from you having to look back and say, 'What was I thinking?'

I think on paper we are the best, but at the same time, I think there are too many teams too close for us to feel quite that assured of success. Perhaps I've been a Seahawk fan too long? Maybe that's why talk like the quoted post scares me.

Which 1 injury, exactly? We've got solid depth all over the place and 8 draft picks that will have to be STELLAR to crack the starting line up.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This one is much like one I saw on NFL.com last week. Same top 5 with a slightly different order, and us at number 4 instead of 5 IIRC.

Basically these polls are nothing more than opinions at this point. We are a long way and a lot of transactions around the league away from even playing pre season games, let alone anything that counts. It's pretty obvious that media across the country seem to be taking us more seriously this year than they have in a long time. Whether we are ranked #1, #4 or #5 doesn't really matter, as the top teams really will be interchangeable throughout the season.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wish Vegas books did power rankings. Beyond the odds that are skewed by betting expectations. To many of theses power poles are written by bias fan favorites or for fan base conversation. It really is what takes the credibility out of them.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":24jzbgfu said:
I wish Vegas books did power rankings. Beyond the odds that are skewed by betting expectations. To many of theses power poles are written by bias fan favorites or for fan base conversation. It really is what takes the credibility out of them.

Don't you realize that they aren't supposed to be "credible" in the first place? These power polls in the NFL aren't like college polls that determine anything, they are merely fodder for more conversation and attention.

canfan

Reaction score
All I can take from these rankings is that we are in the conversation when they talk about teams that will compete for the SB. I'd say anybody in the top 6 to 8 teams have the potential to put together a championship year. Now it comes down to how the ball bounces and injuries during the season to see who gets the brass ring. Just glad to be finally back in this conversation

:D

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2e9jbo6d said:
You really shouldn't ignore the loss of Welker even with Amendola. Amendola needs to show he can stay healthy and even then is a huge step down from Welker.

Welker has also dropped more passes per targeted throw at him than any other receiver in the NFL over the past 3 years, for receivers with a lot of targets.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think the 49ers are the most overrated team.

It makes no sense to me that the pundits are saying that 49ers and Seahawks offseason are comparable. IMO that's erroneous.

YOu add a end of career WR Bolden, and that's somehow equal to 25 year old Percy Harvin? Not even close.

They lose their starting safety and a good deal of depth at DT, along with their H-back TE. That's alot more negative than positive from where I sit.

Whereas Seattle adds 2 dynamic pass rushers.

As for the others, Denver's #1 dispite the screw up with Dumervil. How does losing him = a good thing?

Amendola is always hurt. The Falcons are without their best pass rusher. So all these teams have serious question marks going into the season.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
i don't like being ranked that high anyways. Obviously the team is built pretty well, but I just want them to get playing. I want them to earn the number one spot. Frankly, at the end of last season, after their win in the playoffs and the great comeback in ATL, I would have been fine with 5.

But Prissy still has to suffer some sort of pain.. I just want the media to keep doubting the Hawks, it keeps them fired up. I have no doubt that between MikeRob, Wilson, Sherman, Lynch and Wagner that these guys will keep the team hungry though. They want to win it all, they know they can, they just need to get there.

Latest posts