Tiger Woods. Is he back?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
This is golf folks ... even at 48, one can still have a great week end (of be lucky enough and everyone else has a bad week end) and end up winning here and there.
Tiger will shadow the record. This young man is simply driven ... And Lindsey Vonn will keep give him the stability he needs ... (never underestimate the power of a woman) ...
The Tiger is back ...

Rat

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3lzgb5ez said:
This is golf folks ... even at 48, one can still have a great week end (of be lucky enough and everyone else has a bad week end) and end up winning here and there.
Only one golfer has won a major at that age (Julius Boros). Tom Watson should be on that list as well (still can't believe that nearly happened), but it's not like the average 50 year old is a big threat on tour. The only guy over 43 who won a PGA Tour event last year was the 46-year-old Steve Stricker at a very limited-field event (the Hyandai Tournament of Champions, which typically has about 30 players in it). Tiger is extraordinary, but he'd be an extreme exception if he's a great player at 48. Unless, I'm forgetting somebody (entirely possible), the only golfers in the past 15 or so years who were still serious threats in their very late 40s were Vijay Singh and Kenny Perry (and even still, Singh won his last major at 41, and Perry never won a major).

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I think Tiger is 'back' in that he found his iron and putter strokes again. He's putting like his old self and that is HUGE.

I think he'll take the overall PGA Tour event wins by a fair margin and if he manages to win a major this year he might yet contend with Jack's record. If he whiffs on all 4 again this year I think it gets exponentially harder to win 5 more. If he wins 2 majors this year then I think it's almost guaranteed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Rat":3kok6vrs said:
joeseahawks":3kok6vrs said:
Only one golfer has won a major at that age (Julius Boros). Tom Watson should be on that list as well (still can't believe that nearly happened), but it's not like the average 50 year old is a big threat on tour. The only guy over 43 who won a PGA Tour event last year was the 46-year-old Steve Stricker at a very limited-field event (the Hyandai Tournament of Champions, which typically has about 30 players in it). Tiger is extraordinary, but he'd be an extreme exception if he's a great player at 48. Unless, I'm forgetting somebody (entirely possible), the only golfers in the past 15 or so years who were still serious threats in their very late 40s were Vijay Singh and Kenny Perry (and even still, Singh won his last major at 41, and Perry never won a major).
Jack was 46 when he won his last Masters, so there is that. And seeing as Tiger is dedicated to fitness, his career could last longer than somw who came before him.

Rat

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ilbfrgt said:
And seeing as Tiger is dedicated to fitness, his career could last longer than somw who came before him.

I could see that; that's another way that Tiger has changed the game. Not that he's the first to care about fitness, but his dedication and level of fitness seems to have drawn a lot of attention from his competitors.

Tiger has had some significant injuries, however. Hard to tell right now how much those will effect him when he hits his mid-late 40s. Could be significant, or with the continued progression of sports medicine, that injury history could become irrelevant.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Rat":fjvgavry said:
Scottemojo":fjvgavry said:
And seeing as Tiger is dedicated to fitness, his career could last longer than somw who came before him.

I could see that; that's another way that Tiger has changed the game. Not that he's the first to care about fitness, but his dedication and level of fitness seems to have drawn a lot of attention from his competitors.

Tiger has had some significant injuries, however. Hard to tell right now how much those will effect him when he hits his mid-late 40s. Could be significant, or with the continued progression of sports medicine, that injury history could become irrelevant.

When Tiger had the knee issues, he was running several miles per day. From what I understand, he has replaced some of that high impact stuff for more joint friendly fitness.

For me, watching him last year was painful. He was afraid of his driver, I have been there, and it sucks. He is still pulling drives, but he will get those swing changes into the long clubs as the season wears on. Also, he could not work the ball both directions last year, now he can. That kind of shows the swing change is complete.

hawker84

Reaction score
yes tiger has suffered many leg injuries over the years, but bear in mind.. nobody on tour works out as rigorously, and keeps themselves fit more than tiger woods.... he may be 37, but he has the fitness of a man in his 20's ....