Sando on Harvin

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Sando on Harvin
Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Sando on Harvin
Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:22 pm
  • Great read Thanks for sharing. I'm not concerned with the compensation or the character risk. He'll fit in great here and the team's culture will keep him happy

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:47 pm
  • Agreed, very well done article. And I also think this will be Harvin's "home".
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm
  • Great read, thanx for sharing.

Locker-room implications: The Seahawks have a long list of young, talented players in line for new contracts over the next couple of years. They approach those negotiations having proved in spectacular fashion their willingness to pay absolute top dollar for a player who has never scored a touchdown or made a tackle for them. While it's debatable whether Seattle could have gotten hometown discounts from Kam Chancellor, Sherman, Earl Thomas or the others, they can forget about it now.

I think this is perhaps the most detrimental element of the signing...one could argue that this upcoming season IS our window for a championship now.
    TalontedNoseRider
    * NET Kook *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm
  • TalontedNoseRider wrote:
    I think this is perhaps the most detrimental element of the signing...one could argue that this upcoming season IS our window for a championship now.

Only if you don't think our FO has the ability to replace the players they lose...
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    TalontedNoseRider wrote:

Only if you don't think our FO has the ability to replace the players they lose...

Or if you think Russell Wilson is suffering a career ending injury this season.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:36 pm
  • Have to resign ET, Sherman would be crucial, Kam important.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:38 pm
  • I love Kam and hope we resign him to a reasonable deal , but he could be very, very easily replaced, imo.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 pm
  • Harvin is so dynamic that once him and RW get on the same page, we won't even need a dominating running game to win anymore. Harvin is a top 6 talent on our team

Wilson
    Lynch
    Thomas
    Okung
    Sherman
    Harvin

lots more talent but these guy are irreplacable
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Have to resign ET, Sherman would be crucial, Kam important.

I disagree.. he, like browner, serve a very distinct purpose. Intimidation. Do you think Vernon Davis is going to EVER go up for a back shoulder catch with kam in the backfield without hearing footsteps? That goes for the many receivers that we have quieted in games last year and the year prior... he only has to lay the wood a few times before they all start hearing footsteps.
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 pm
  • TalontedNoseRider wrote:Great read, thanx for sharing.

Locker-room implications: The Seahawks have a long list of young, talented players in line for new contracts over the next couple of years. They approach those negotiations having proved in spectacular fashion their willingness to pay absolute top dollar for a player who has never scored a touchdown or made a tackle for them. While it's debatable whether Seattle could have gotten hometown discounts from Kam Chancellor, Sherman, Earl Thomas or the others, they can forget about it now.

I don't buy that one. If he scores 15-20 TDs next year how does that do anything but show that the team does what it needs to win.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:47 pm
  • For some players it's all about playing in Superbowls
    for others it's about getting paid the absolute most they
    can until they retire. If ET, Kam and Sherman want to
    have the chance to win multiple Superbowls then they'll
    sign team friendly deals to keep the gang together. If
    their primary goal is money then good luck to them, I
    can't imagine anything worse though for a competative
    player than 5 years with the Bills or Dolphins.
    el capitan
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 am
  • Agree with him el capitan and those that do chase the mighty $$$ will net some pretty nice comp picks.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 am
  • el capitan wrote:For some players it's all about playing in Superbowls

this, I hope our players realize they are all on the cusp of something great, but need to try to stick together as long as possible to maximize its potentiality. I mean everyone is trying to get paid max of course, but it would be something to see if they would come together like that. I liken it to a electric green and college navy Voltron.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55 am
  • el capitan wrote:For some players it's all about playing in Superbowls

The point being made though is that if the Seahawks are happy to pay top dollar to someone who has done nothing for the team so far, why should they accept team friendly deals when they've been contributing for several years.
    If we signed Harvin on a "team-friendly" deal then it'd be reasonable to ask them to do the same, but we are paying him the market rate for a top-flight WR, so they will be looking for the same.

A perfect example would have been if we had signed Revis to a 5 year 60 million deal. No matter how desperate Sherman is to win a superbowl, he would want to be paid on an equal level because he considers himself an equal player, and whilst if Revis had signed that deal with the 49ers, maybe Sherman would be happy with 5 years and 50 million, but if we're going to pay guys from outside that amount, then the guys who've done it already for the team are well within their right to ask for the same
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:33 pm
  • You're right, all those guys deserve to get paid top dollar but if the cap doesn't allow it then some of them will have to choose between more $$$ or the chance to win championships. It all comes down to the individual.
    New England almost never rewards its own free agents with mega deals because if you have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and you hit more often than you miss in the draft then you'll go to 5 Superbowls in 12 years.
    el capitan
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 pm
  • TalontedNoseRider wrote:Great read, thanx for sharing.

Looking at the signing in that light is looking at it like a little kid who is jealous.

All of the Seahawks in the dressing room who are not in direct competition for a roster spot with Harvin should look at the signing as a way to improve the team.

That quote makes it sound like the Seahawk players should be sour at the front office for every free agent they sign, or every draft pick they make. Haha.

"These guys are taking my money, Hmmmppf" :sitsdownquicklywitharmscrossed:
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:35 pm
  • If it sounds to good to be true,it probably is. The question is 'why' would they trade Harvin? Just like Mr Rice,he wanted to re-do his contract before it was up,the Vikings don't do that. Harvin has been coddled like a baby that he is, a malcontent just like Mr Rice was.Chilly put his job on the line drafting Harvin,he even visited him before the draft at his house. All were saying do not draft this guy,he is poison to any football team. Just like Moss,Harvin plays when he wants to play and if he isn't the center of attention on every play think the fat kid who takes the ball and goes home,,pouting.Harvin missed a lot of time in practice,camps and games,,said he had migraines and dig this,nobody believed him for years until he had one at a practice and everybody thought he was gonna die. This shows you his credibility,,zero. With his style of play and small body,,when they say the NFL means,,'not for long' Harvin will be the poster child. Plus you gave the farm away to get him,,pffffft. He was going to hold out this year and would probably have been cut,,you jumped to soon. Last poll I saw in the Mnpls paper,,75% of fans said good riddance,,what does that tell you?
    lee
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm
  • lee wrote:If it sounds to good to be true,it probably is. The question is 'why' would they trade Harvin? Just like Mr Rice,he wanted to re-do his contract before it was up,the Vikings don't do that. Harvin has been coddled like a baby that he is, a malcontent just like Mr Rice was.Chilly put his job on the line drafting Harvin,he even visited him before the draft at his house. All were saying do not draft this guy,he is poison to any football team. Just like Moss,Harvin plays when he wants to play and if he isn't the center of attention on every play think the fat kid who takes the ball and goes home,,pouting.Harvin missed a lot of time in practice,camps and games,,said he had migraines and dig this,nobody believed him for years until he had one at a practice and everybody thought he was gonna die. This shows you his credibility,,zero. With his style of play and small body,,when they say the NFL means,,'not for long' Harvin will be the poster child. Plus you gave the farm away to get him,,pffffft. He was going to hold out this year and would probably have been cut,,you jumped to soon. Last poll I saw in the Mnpls paper,,75% of fans said good riddance,,what does that tell you?

:snack:
    Floridahawk79
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 pm
  • lee wrote:If it sounds to good to be true,it probably is. The question is 'why' would they trade Harvin? Just like Mr Rice,he wanted to re-do his contract before it was up,the Vikings don't do that. Harvin has been coddled like a baby that he is, a malcontent just like Mr Rice was.Chilly put his job on the line drafting Harvin,he even visited him before the draft at his house. All were saying do not draft this guy,he is poison to any football team. Just like Moss,Harvin plays when he wants to play and if he isn't the center of attention on every play think the fat kid who takes the ball and goes home,,pouting.Harvin missed a lot of time in practice,camps and games,,said he had migraines and dig this,nobody believed him for years until he had one at a practice and everybody thought he was gonna die. This shows you his credibility,,zero. With his style of play and small body,,when they say the NFL means,,'not for long' Harvin will be the poster child. Plus you gave the farm away to get him,,pffffft. He was going to hold out this year and would probably have been cut,,you jumped to soon. Last poll I saw in the Mnpls paper,,75% of fans said good riddance,,what does that tell you?

That Minnesota is a well organized franchise that is on the up and up and isn't wasting the years they have with a once-in-a-decade running back? Wait, no that's not it.

Me thinks you might be a bit upset, but that's understandable; I felt the same way with our previous GM and coach and how they handled things. I'd worry more about AP having a sub-par QB and (at the moment) no WR that will make defenses back off playing 10 in the box.

While Rice has been banged up a bit while playing for Seattle, he hasn't been a "malcontent" so I guess that's working out. Maybe that's why the organization is willing to risk taking Harvin on?
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm
  • lee wrote:Harvin has been coddled like a baby that he is, a malcontent just like Mr Rice was.

If Harvin is going to have the same positive influence in the Seattle lockerroom as "a malcontent just like Mr Rice," then I'm even more thrilled.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    lee wrote:Harvin has been coddled like a baby that he is, a malcontent just like Mr Rice was.

If Harvin is going to have the same positive influence in the Seattle lockerroom as "a malcontent just like Mr Rice," then I'm even more thrilled.

I'd too would go from malcontent to team player if i was upgrading from Christian Puker to DangeRuss.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 pm

So, on a scale of 1-10, how sour are those grapes?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 pm
  • Poor Vikings fans. Well that's Karma for ya.

The use of the poison pill was just an example of the way that organization does business. When you play dirty you shouldn't complain because you got a little mud on ya.

I can't speak for anyone else but after seeing the Vikings never get a ring with Hutch and then watching us peel away Burleson, Rice, Harvin and Bevell, I feel vindicated. Sorry you don't like the way your organization is running things. Mine kicks ass.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 pm
  • RichNhansom wrote:Poor Vikings fans. Well that's Karma for ya.

The use of the poison pill was just an example of the way that organization does business. When you play dirty you shouldn't complain because you got a little mud on ya.

I can't speak for anyone else but after seeing the Vikings never get a ring with Hutch and then watching us peel away Burleson, Rice, Harvin and Bevell, I feel vindicated. Sorry you don't like the way your organization is running things. Mine kicks ass.

We actually used a pill to get Burleson.

Btw did anyone else catch that Hutchs twitter handle was poisonpill76. What a richard.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 pm
  • Now we just gotta get AP.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm
  • The ability to sign all those free agents next year is what worries me the most about the Harvin deal. You guys can talk about the idea that if guys want to win a Super Bowl they stay at a discount all you want, but I just don't see it. Who does that anymore? I guess what bothers me the most is that there is Tavon Austin sitting there in the first round. They could have packaged picks and moved up to take him and they'd have a player just like Harvin only probably faster for a small fraction of the money. And the other thing is what team has done well with high-priced free agents lately? Anybody? Sorry, but the whole thing gives me the creeps. I'm excited about Harvin because he's an awesome player but there are a lot of ways this could blow up in the Hawks' faces.
    BBHawks
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm
  • BBHawks wrote:I guess what bothers me the most is that there is Tavon Austin sitting there in the first round. They could have packaged picks and moved up to take him and they'd have a player just like Harvin only probably faster for a small fraction of the money. And the other thing is what team has done well with high-priced free agents lately? Anybody? Sorry, but the whole thing gives me the creeps. I'm excited about Harvin because he's an awesome player but there are a lot of ways this could blow up in the Hawks' faces.

Austin is being discussed as an early to mid first rounder. He's not under the radar anymore. Seattle would have had to give up a ton to move up far enough to get him. Far more than they have up to get Harvin. Just as an example, Atlanta gave up two first rounders, a second, and two fourths to move up for Julio Jones, though they did have to get all the way up to the sixth pick.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 am
  • BBHawks wrote:The ability to sign all those free agents next year is what worries me the most about the Harvin deal. You guys can talk about the idea that if guys want to win a Super Bowl they stay at a discount all you want, but I just don't see it. Who does that anymore? I guess what bothers me the most is that there is Tavon Austin sitting there in the first round. They could have packaged picks and moved up to take him and they'd have a player just like Harvin only probably faster for a small fraction of the money. And the other thing is what team has done well with high-priced free agents lately? Anybody? Sorry, but the whole thing gives me the creeps. I'm excited about Harvin because he's an awesome player but there are a lot of ways this could blow up in the Hawks' faces.

Aaron Curry.

You know what you get in Harvin.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 pm
  • From what I have read about Harvin it sounds like he does not put up with teammates who don't show the same level up preparation for the game that he does? If that is indeed the case then he should be solid in our locker room. People like to compare Russ with Tarkington. Early on Harvin was compared to Amed Rashad. This could get good.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information