Rumor....Urlacher

A

Anonymous

I've thought about all the intangibles he could bring, and the willingness to take a pay-cut or to play second-fiddle, but we ask our LB's to work special teams also. I'm sorry, but I just can't find enough tangibles that put BU onto the team in anything other than simply the backup role Pe suggests. Can we afford to (or have the luxury to) have an aging vet that has limited contribution potential pocketing some of our team's cash?

If anything, he would bring the experience, attitude, and just plain football knowledge necessary to eliminate a good portion of those plays that we say, "well, they got us on that one". The ones when that one or two guys guess wrong on that playaction and a back gets into the secondary for a first. He's got to have good discipline on the practice field as well.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
penihawk":1g57q9q7 said:
He WAS one of the best Tampa2 dropper LBers ever. He is now just old,slow,can't change direction or stay healthy who wants to be paid based on his reputation. Did anyone really think Ray looked good last year in the playoffs/SB? I thought he was a liability most of the time. Give me Alan Branch back for the money it would require to get a washed up player who would end up being a backup or hurt.
Yeah, FO must be totally wrong about urlacher being one of the top 10 LBers at stopping the run and everyone who says he's too slow must be right.

Cuz Golden Tate getting run down 40 yards downfield is a sure sign of an aging LBer with bad knees. :roll:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He is the definition of old and slow and we have a budding superstar second year player at his position...I just can't see it

pehawk

Reaction score
Can Urlacher grow dreads? Can someone dig up stats on this?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The Radish":2ybqdm45 said:
kearly":2ybqdm45 said:
AgentDib":2ybqdm45 said:
You know which team is in the best position to know how effective Urlacher still is? The Chicago Bears.

To be fair, the Bears did offer him a contract. A contract that was twice as much as the minimum. It will probably end up being the biggest contract Urlacher is offered this offseason. He made a mistake turning it down, IMO.

Don't remember for sure but didn't the Bears offer him $2 million and he wanted $2.5 million? I thought at the time I read it seemed pretty silly to be steamed over half a million bucks at this point in his career.

:les:

What I heard he wanted 2 years @ 12 million or 6 million a year. The Bears offered 2.5 million for 1 year. Urlacher got butt-hurt and started crying to the media. He's acting like a cry-baby with all his complaining. Under NO circumstances would I want him in SEattle.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
pehawk":2q4otfu0 said:
Would he be any slower than Hawthorne?

If he's willing to be a depth guy, what's the harm? He could always be traded to the Saints during camp too.

You don't pay 3-4 million for a "depth guy". If he rejected 2.5 from the Bears than he's sure to cost 3-5 million to us. There's no logic to bring in a backup or 2 down player for that money. Considering you can roll your cap numbers into the following year. Why use that cap space now when you'll need it next year to extend some of our other players.

mikeak

Reaction score
Urlacher came in to last season from an injury and wasn't ready to go. He was still on pace for 90 tackles with 102 the year before. He had two forced fumbles and recoveries and one interception.

I am not ready to call the guy done yet but if PERCEPTION is that he is old and slow then of course he must be..........

Him starting at 2 years $12 million isn't really a big deal of course you start big and see what comes back. He didn't cry to the media until afterwards and his complaint was that he was told there would be negotiations and he supposedly was given one number and that didn't change period.

If he wants to play here and the people that knows wants him then I am sure he can contribute. We shall see....

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":228qrblq said:
penihawk":228qrblq said:
He WAS one of the best Tampa2 dropper LBers ever. He is now just old,slow,can't change direction or stay healthy who wants to be paid based on his reputation. Did anyone really think Ray looked good last year in the playoffs/SB? I thought he was a liability most of the time. Give me Alan Branch back for the money it would require to get a washed up player who would end up being a backup or hurt.
Yeah, FO must be totally wrong about urlacher being one of the top 10 LBers at stopping the run and everyone who says he's too slow must be right.

Cuz Golden Tate getting run down 40 yards downfield is a sure sign of an aging LBer with bad knees. :roll:

Please, it wasn't like Urlacher out-sprinted Tate. Tate had to make the catch jump over the defender and then put a nasty juke move on the 2nd defender- bringing him nearly to a stop and then started to accelerate again. All the while Urlacher was running at full speed. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he caught him.

If we looked at the production, Health concerns, and age and lets say his name instead of being Urlacher was John Smith, would you be fired up to sign him for 3-5 million? I would imagine that would be a resounding NO by nearly everyone on here. But because it's Brian Urlacher people like the idea. Makes no sense to me. His reputation far exceeds his actual ability in 2013.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
mikeak":1hamjgsl said:
Urlacher came in to last season from an injury and wasn't ready to go. He was still on pace for 90 tackles with 102 the year before. He had two forced fumbles and recoveries and one interception.

I am not ready to call the guy done yet but if PERCEPTION is that he is old and slow then of course he must be..........

Him starting at 2 years $12 million isn't really a big deal of course you start big and see what comes back. He didn't cry to the media until afterwards and his complaint was that he was told there would be negotiations and he supposedly was given one number and that didn't change period.

If he wants to play here and the people that knows wants him then I am sure he can contribute. We shall see....

He's done ALOT of crying since his release. I don't want him.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Is Urlacher, Wright and Wagner a better trio then Hill, Wright and Wagner? methinks so. Assuming the price is cheap I say do it !

AgentDib

Reaction score
My point is simply that Bears have vastly more information about Urlacher than you (or I) do. If they thought he was still elite they would certainly have been willing to talk about the $5.5 number, especially when Urlacher has said he was expecting to work down from that. I would have no problem with the Seahawks signing him, but fan expectations should be set by the Bears willing to pay him $2 million and not by pie in the sky wishes. If FO's limited statistics disagree with the Bears your first thought should be "I guess FO still has some tweaking to do" not "Looks like the Bears are stupid."

Radish":2fgtu86h said:
Don't remember for sure but didn't the Bears offer him $2 million and he wanted $2.5 million? I thought at the time I read it seemed pretty silly to be steamed over half a million bucks at this point in his career.
Urlacher wanted $5.5 mil/yr and the Bears offered $2/yr. He wasn't furious about it, he just didn't agree with how they saw his salary. He gave an interview on Sirius where he sounded a bit unhappy because he mentioned that his initial $5.5 mil figure was just a starting point and he was expecting to negotiate down, but felt like their offer was a "take it or leave it" that undervalued his contributions.

IMO, Urlacher is making the very common mistake of comparing his salary to previous years instead of to his competition in 2013. $2 million is a lot more than a third round MLB would cost to say nothing of his $5.5 mil request.

Tical21

Reaction score
Yes, a million times yes!! Move Wagner to the WILL where his body and athleticism are best suited, and bring in Urlacher for 1st and 2nd downs. A true run stopper in the middle. We need one against SF, and Washington and Minn if they make the playoffs. Urlacher also prepares like Peyton Manning does. Our defense, knowing what play is coming, becomes that much more elite. He isn't going to play for the vet minimum. He would walk away. But get it done!! Been saying this for weeks.

The Radish

Reaction score
jlwaters1":drq5nwg6 said:
mikeak":drq5nwg6 said:

He's done ALOT of crying since his release. I don't want him.

That's what I thought reading the various articles.

If I own a pro football team the players that make the top of my list are of course the ones that negotiate via the media. Yep, that's about my favorite thing to do. Right up there with having someone hit me in the head with a cast iron skillet.

:141847_bnono:

penihawk

Reaction score
If Brian Urlacher was still Brian Urlacher then he would have a contract in Chicago. They have moved on from him without his replacement being on the roster. That has to tell you something guys. He's not playing for chump change and he won't want to be a backup so why are we even discussing this?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
penihawk":172anfm9 said:
If Brian Urlacher was still Brian Urlacher then he would have a contract in Chicago. They have moved on from him without his replacement being on the roster. That has to tell you something guys. He's not playing for chump change and he won't want to be a backup so why are we even discussing this?
Because P&J are discussing this.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
penihawk":2my84ufa said:

Well, pardon us new guy. Please dictate to us what we can and cannot discuss.

As far as the rest of your post, The only thing that I read into Chicago not bringing Urlacher back is that they have a new coach and a new identity therefore necessitating the need to get rid of the old face of the franchise. They offered him a contract to sell to the fans that they tried but knew that he would never accept.

The Radish

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2n9d1r4z said:
penihawk":2n9d1r4z said:

Well, pardon us new guy. Please dictate to us what we can and cannot discuss.

My aren't you the nice guy in the room,,,,not!

Because his opinion us just as good as yours. Better actually cause he was pleasant about it something you can't be accused of.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
The Radish":293p6b4z said:
My aren't you the nice guy in the room,,,,not!

Because his opinion us just as good as yours. Better actually cause he was pleasant about it something you can't be accused of.

Not Worried about being labeled pleasant.