What's the deal w Anthony McCoy?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Given the personnel on hand and the direction the coaching staff is taking the offense, what the Hawks really need is a "Move TE" who runs/plays well in space, esp. given McCoy's limitations, inconsistent hands and pending free agency (after next season). This is why I wouldn't be the least bit surprised (or disappointed) if the Hawks take Florida's Jordan Reed in the 3rd round, who profiles perfectly.

Eamon696

Reaction score
lukerguy":3k8o3zhb said:
Give the guy a break. He had one drop vs. the Redskins and y'all forget he actually had a very good year for us. He's not the fastest guy for certain, but he was very reliable.
Didn't he also cost us the first Rams game? If we won that game, we would've had a bye.

Zer0veritas

Reaction score
Eamon696":1ds855hh said:
lukerguy":1ds855hh said:
Give the guy a break. He had one drop vs. the Redskins and y'all forget he actually had a very good year for us. He's not the fastest guy for certain, but he was very reliable.
Didn't he also cost us the first Rams game? If we won that game, we would've had a bye.

There are multiple guys and plays that cost us the Rams game, it should never come down to just one guy.

Largent80

Reaction score
McCoy is improving with each year, it's pretty easy to see it actually. Contract year, maybe he really has a great one.

I sure hope so.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I like mccoy but i can't really look back at last season without watching him fall down on what would have been an easy first down catch vs. the rams early in the season that pretty much sealed the game.

Yes he made some clutch plays but so many of those were on blown coverages where he was all alone.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Seaswab":3mko6hje said:
that wasn't his first drop, come on

How many do you suppose he had? He had no more than 2-3 on the year. I can only think of the Redskins drop specifically. He had one bad one in the pre-season.

I think people have an overblown impression that he dropped a bunch last year. It is true he had the drops the last several years but this year he fixed it for the most part.

Interestingly enough- alot of you wante D. WALKER the H-back from SF, who lead ALL TE's in drops he had 7 (on just 20 or so catches. MCcoy wasn't even on the list so he had no more than 3 drops this year with roughly the exact same catches as Walker)

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":oj0kt5ir said:
I just watched the home Rams game again. A drop, a TD killing OPI, a hold that cost us a 50 yard play to FG range...and slow as hell.

Another TE, please.

Sounds good to me.

He's not cut-worthy, but he's nothing to get all excited about either.

seahawkcanuck

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1wln5ekv said:
I like mccoy but i can't really look back at last season without watching him fall down on what would have been an easy first down catch vs. the rams early in the season that pretty much sealed the game.

Yes he made some clutch plays but so many of those were on blown coverage's where he was all alone.

My thoughts Exactly. 18 Rec on 29 Targets (and most of those on simple Roll outs and blown Coverage)
In all Fairness to McCoy he started to look more comfortable as the season went on (7 out of 16 games Not passed to)

But the play in Washington stands out to me.. When the Pressure was on, He dropped the ball (literally)

but as a #2 TE, i would at least give him 1/2 a season (unless a real steal came up or Darren Fells pans out)
McCoy has shown improvement every season, but that could just be the Wilson Effect

SEASON TEAM GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
2011 SEA 16 13 24 146 11.2 31 0 7 0 0
2012 SEA 16 18 27 291 16.2 67 3 13 0 0

lukerguy

Reaction score
Eamon696":11keyoh8 said:
lukerguy":11keyoh8 said:

You can't place the blame squarely on one person in a game like that. I also remember the play calling for that game was atrocious at best. Bevell was great the first series and then fell back into his normal 1/2 of the season ways.

They scored a TD on a trick play which could have been deemed a coaching error regardless of the fact that PC said he tried to call time out.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I don't see what all the love for the guy is about. I rate him as mediocre. He drops balls even one no one is around him. He is a decent blocker and can set an edge fairly well. In the open field he is not very good at breaking tackles and goes down easily. If we can upgrade the position we need to do it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anyone know the status of Cameron Morrah, and the team's plans for him, if any? Obviously a much better receiving TE than McCoy, but can he block as well, and anyone know if he is healthy and will be back in camp for 2013? Morrah was waived/injured at the end of last training camp.

OP
OP
FreshlySnipes

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
olyfan63":12hjjne7 said:
Anyone know the status of Cameron Morrah, and the team's plans for him, if any? Obviously a much better receiving TE than McCoy, but can he block as well, and anyone know if he is healthy and will be back in camp for 2013? Morrah was waived/injured at the end of last training camp.

McCoy is way better than Morrah. He only had 6 catches last season for 74 yards w no touchdowns and in his 3 years w the Seahawks he only has had 16 catches for 194 total yards, no touchdowns.

McCoy had 18 catches for 291 yards and 3TDs last season alone. 31 catches, 473 yards over a similar 3 year span as morrah.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
To be a real threat the #2 TE should excel at either blocking or receiving. McCoy is about league average for a back up, at both. I suspect he will have a good year being his contract year and all but I hope we go a different direction. I don't have faith in those guys that meander for 3 years and then breakout in a contract year. They always seem to revert back to their previous form after the ink dry's. I would prefer to let him walk in FA and sign a big contract elsewhere and we get the comp pick. It is a position we could easily upgrade.

I was huge on drafting him when he came in. His highlight reel was very smooth but that is what highlight reels are for and I don't think he will ever consistently be a good TE.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Mccoy made a few good plays but he also made big gains when he was completely wide open, I'm not sure how much credit I want to give him for bad defense.

I have a feeling he won't be re-signed and will only find his way back on this team if another team doesn't claim him. Especially if Fells can play.

mikeak

Reaction score
Lets put things in perspective

He was drafted in the 6th round

He made $630k last year which while more than RW is less than Quinn will get paid this year

He is 6'5" and RW's fault last season was throwing high at times and separately when under pressure he did these "half-throw aways" (not saying these are faults) where he throw it almost out of bounds but there was a chance the WR could go up and get it. A few times the WR got clobbered on those and probably shouldn't have caught the ball - BUT McCoy is a perfect fit for those items.

He overplayed his contract by even sticking on the team one year. I think he is a good, solid player that will continue to improve but never be the number 1 guy. We need players like him to fill the roster at reasonable prices but if he has a really good year I just don't know if we can afford him next year / him and Miller will be to expensive. I think we draft to compete against him and maybe we then release Miller next year....

OP
OP
FreshlySnipes

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
I'm not worried about being able to afford him. We do have 25 million in cap space, which the new players agreement helps with cuz rookies are getting paid a lot less for more seasons. Plus we don't have a high draft picks so the players we do get will be in later rounds and will be fairly inexpensive.

And while I agree that some of the catches McCoy made he was wide open but he did make plays when it counted, it doesn't matter the circumstances. We also have to remember that the second half of last year was the first year he got legit playing time. And from what I saw from him in the 2nd half of the season shows consistent improvement. He's really athletic, really tall and elusive. If he builds on last years momentum, he should be a dominant 2nd string and dual TE threat w Miller.

it's always good to have 2 TEs with different strengths. Miller is a big power blocking beast but lacks the explosiveness and maneuverability to get wide open, which is where McCoy fits perfectly.

razgriz737

Reaction score
He may not have been a world-beater this year, but his improvement over the course of the past 2 seasons has been big enough to get my attention.

Latest posts