Sciencey stuff-The solar system as a vortex....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13

• I love it when you guys post this sciencey stuff (even if it is wrong) because otherwise I would never come across it lol. Gets ya thinking
    Hawkaholic
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• sutz wrote:
    TriCHawk wrote:I saw this going around a few weeks ago. Pretty cool, but it's been debunked:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/04/vortex_motion_viral_video_showing_sun_s_motion_through_galaxy_is_wrong.html

Nice write-up there, and I see what he's saying. The guy (in the original link) gets many fundamentals wrong. Sorry.

It's still a cool video, though.

Its a slick video. As soon as I read the word "vortex," I questioned its legitimacy. The debunking link posted above describes it better as a helix, which it still wrong scientifically but better describes the motion in the video. The heliocentric model that we have is moving through space, so a correct video of that would probably look equally as cool and not be wrong. Somebody with some graphic design skills, get on that.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information