Popular artists that

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Popular artists that
Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:02 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Largent80, a classical composer would find your work "cute and child-like". So....

I am honored, with a rebel yell, he cried Mo, Mo, Mo.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:06 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Nobody's a musician unless they use drumsticks.

Oops....you're bad....Sorry Zeb, But I also teach guitar, and have a published book on guitar instruction. In other words scratchmeister....I SHRED. sorry to fuck up your whole deal.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm
  • I think you did indeed "f up" Zebs whole deal. I for one am worried for Zeb because of this latest devolpment.

Zeb, you okay? Largent F'd up your whole deal, and, well, I know how tough that can be.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:32 pm
  • I just checked and my deal's still ok. Whew. Close one.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Nobody's a musician unless they use drumsticks.

Oops....you're bad....Sorry Zeb, But I also teach guitar, and have a published book on guitar instruction. In other words scratchmeister....I SHRED. sorry to fuck up your whole deal.

I'm not a DJ nor a sampler nor a drummer. I just happen to know enough about all of them to appreciate them all for what they are, which is, for all intents and purposes, virtually the same thing.

Nice F bomb in the Lounge, btw.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:15 pm
  • El-P or Qwel would be my favorite white rappers
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:54 pm
  • Aesop Rock by a lot for me.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Aesop Rock by a lot for me.

Yes. He would be #3 and Sage would have to be #4
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:54 pm
  • Aesop Rock HAS to be frying balls when he writes cuz his rhymes sound like reading the encyclopedia backwards in quattrain!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:12 pm
  • I don't care for Eminems music, but I'll agree that his first 3-4 albums were influential in today's Hip Hop, you ask any of these rappers ages 23-27 who has had an impact on them as an artist they'll most likely say Eminem & Jay-Z, it's almost a given.

Where Eminem lost me at an early age, was the content of his music. No hate at all, but it wasn't for me.

& Haha @ Dunce about Aesop Rock, but that could be said about a lot of underground rappers.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:22 pm
  • As far as MM goes maybe his lyrics didn't hit home. Me neither. Lyrically, Wayne isn't in the same league. Not close.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:25 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I don't care for Eminems music, but I'll agree that his first 3-4 albums were influential in today's Hip Hop, you ask any of these rappers ages 23-27 who has had an impact on them as an artist they'll most likely say Eminem & Jay-Z, it's almost a given.

Where Eminem lost me at an early age, was the content of his music. No hate at all, but it wasn't for me.

& Haha @ Dunce about Aesop Rock, but that could be said about a lot of underground rappers.

Yeah but Aesop actually pulls it off!

And Em is one of the best wordsmiths ever but I'm with you that his subject matter got all whiny when he was bitching about britney spears and n sync but then Ja Rule got him all worked up and the mixtape he did with Green Lantern was some of the illest shit he had spit since Amityville
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:28 pm
  • Em's lyrics on the MM LP, 95% of the songs, had a social commentary/social satire vibe. I know art is subjective, but that's what I want from artists, social commentary and messages. Dont get me wrong, sometimes I'll reach for something bragadocious (mirror, mirror by Big Gipp), sometimes violent (Triumph by Wu), sometimes fun (five duece four trey by Backbone), but mostly I want to hear their stance on things.

Wonder why I like message boards?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:31 pm
  • Em's biggest mistake, imo, was trying to be gangster. When he wasn't trying to be tough he was hilarious.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Em's lyrics on the MM LP, 95% of the songs, had a social commentary/social satire vibe. I know art is subjective, but that's what I want from artists, social commentary and messages. Dont get me wrong, sometimes I'll reach for something bragadocious (mirror, mirror by Big Gipp), sometimes violent (Triumph by Wu), sometimes fun (five duece four trey by Backbone), but mostly I want to hear their stance on things.

He lost me at the psycho wannabe stuff, but it's been years since I've heard the MM LP, that came out when I was like...10 or 11, god damn we're getting old
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Em's lyrics on the MM LP, 95% of the songs, had a social commentary/social satire vibe. I know art is subjective, but that's what I want from artists, social commentary and messages. Dont get me wrong, sometimes I'll reach for something bragadocious (mirror, mirror by Big Gipp), sometimes violent (Triumph by Wu), sometimes fun (five duece four trey by Backbone), but mostly I want to hear their stance on things.

He lost me at the psycho wannabe stuff, but it's been years since I've heard the MM LP, that came out when I was like...10 or 11, god damn we're getting old

Relapse should never have been made.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:34 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Em's biggest mistake, imo, was trying to be gangster. When he wasn't trying to be tough he was hilarious.

50 too! Ever hear, I think its called "Who Shot ya" by 50? I think it was pre-shotup time. He was actually fairly whimsical and clever.

I love Lil Wayne, but also blame him for recent bad trends in hip-hop. He needs to move to Atlanta for awhile to get a bit more musicianship.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:36 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Em's biggest mistake, imo, was trying to be gangster. When he wasn't trying to be tough he was hilarious.

50 too! Ever hear, I think its called "Who Shot ya" by 50? I think it was pre-shotup time. He was actually fairly whimsical and clever.

I love Lil Wayne, but also blame him for recent bad trends in hip-hop. He needs to move to Atlanta for awhile to get a bit more musicianship.

This?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:37 pm
  • YES! You got it! Thanks Throw.

Damn, I haven't heard that forever! Takes me back to 5 AM days, digging for cuts, high on blow w/my brothers.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 pm
  • lol that song got him attention, by making Jay-Z come out at Summer Jam in NY saying "I'm about a dollar what *($% is 50 cents?"

Those Beef documentaries on Netflix take me back to the good ol days of my youth.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:52 pm
  • HOW TO ROB WAS DOPE! then....not so much
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 pm
  • I now understand why you dont like Em; because his masterpiece aint included in your perspective. I cant stomach most of his work aside from that. Its cold.

You should make yourself give it a listen sometime. Every song's on point, and thats rare.
    Last edited by pehawk on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 pm
  • dunceface wrote:HOW TO ROB WAS DOPE! then....not so much

Is How to Rob the name of Largent80s drum instructional?

Getting confused
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:01 pm
  • Hawk Strap wrote:
    dunceface wrote:HOW TO ROB WAS DOPE! then....not so much

Is How to Rob the name of Largent80s drum instructional?

Getting confused

GUITAR instructional, he shreds and now Straps whole deal got F'd up.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03 pm
  • LOLZ
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Robert can shred. Not like John Mayer shred, but shred nonetheless.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:50 am
  • In the beginning I couldnt stand eminem took me a couple of years to really listen to what he was saying.dude cant be denied he is at the top of the food chain.nobody with relevance beefs with em, that shows the respect he has on the rap game.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:12 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Robert can shred.

Exactly.

You twist a pretty mean knob as well.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 am
  • pehawk wrote:The Marshall Mathers LP stands up in terms of brilliance and importance as much as any Robert Johnson, Stones, Patti Smith, G n R, Bowie, Motown, etc LP. It's genius and HUGELY important.

no.

great record for sure, but its no; chronic, nation of millions, paid in full, low end theory, straight outa, death certificate, me against, sex packets, raising hell, radio, reasonable doubt, no one can do it better, paul's, enter wu....

good, yes, important, for sure. Something like Exile on Main Street or Ziggy? No flippin way. And forget comparing him to Robert Johnson, that is just crazy talk. Eminem is much closer to the level of Kid and Play than he is to someone like Bowie. "Stan" vs. "Queen Bitch"???

Looks like you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 am
  • NoChops wrote:
    pehawk wrote:The Marshall Mathers LP stands up in terms of brilliance and importance as much as any Robert Johnson, Stones, Patti Smith, G n R, Bowie, Motown, etc LP. It's genius and HUGELY important.

no.

great record for sure, but its no; chronic, nation of millions, paid in full, low end theory, straight outa, death certificate, me against, sex packets, raising hell, radio, reasonable doubt, no one can do it better, paul's, enter wu....

good, yes, important, for sure. Something like Exile on Main Street or Ziggy? No flippin way. And forget comparing him to Robert Johnson, that is just crazy talk. Eminem is much closer to the level of Kid and Play than he is to someone like Bowie. "Stan" vs. "Queen Bitch"???

Genius and HUGELY important?....Hardly, I've never even heard it. But you know, here it appears either "rock sucks, or rap sucks".

The two genres are not even comparable. You either like it or you don't.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:09 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    NoChops wrote:
    pehawk wrote:The Marshall Mathers LP stands up in terms of brilliance and importance as much as any Robert Johnson, Stones, Patti Smith, G n R, Bowie, Motown, etc LP. It's genius and HUGELY important.

no.

Genius and HUGELY important?....Hardly, I've never even heard it. But you know, here it appears either "rock sucks, or rap sucks".

The two genres are not even comparable. You either like it or you don't.

I have the CD and actually like it quite a bit, but to say its on the same level as something as "Let it Bleed" is kinda pushing it. Take Bowie, he as a new disk out(quite good actually) he has been doing it for 40 years, Eminem hasn't done squat in how long? He is huge if rap is your thing, but in terms of music as a whole, he is just a drop in the bucket. I think Em is a great one, but he could only dream of doing something as good as this, and if anyone wants to argue, I will slap you up side the head with my beeper.

NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:29 am
  • NoChops wrote:

no.

It's comprable to everything you listed, IMO. As I said, because of its messaging and importance. Without it, things dont move along, evolve, progress to today. I personally put it up with Cash or Dylan for storytelling, but understand that's personal. It's still important though.
    Last edited by pehawk on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:30 am
  • Oh, and big props to Chops for the Sex Packets mention. UNDERRATED GROUP AND DISK.

Underwater Rhymes....
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:47 am
  • I am the packet man fool..

might be a generational thing...I don't see anything Em did holding a candle to PE or NWA. The Bowie thing is what got my panties in a bunch though..Guy could fart show tunes and would be one of the greatest thing in my book.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 am
  • I love Bowie and hold him in the highest regard. But, like Bowie, Em pushed music new directions. Rap was bogged down in turf wars and the gangsta era before him.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 am
  • Riley12 wrote:
    Soppie wrote:
    Eminem is the best rap artist of all time.

He isn't even the best white rapper of all time.

Agreed. Lil' Kevin all the way.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Riley12 wrote:
    Soppie wrote:

Powder B from Mo Thugs is best.
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:59 am
  • dunceface wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

Powder B from Mo Thugs is best.

Never mind.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:41 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Nobody's a musician unless they use drumsticks.

I'm not a DJ nor a sampler nor a drummer. I just happen to know enough about all of them to appreciate them all for what they are, which is, for all intents and purposes, virtually the same thing.

Nice F bomb in the Lounge, btw.

They're almost the exact same thing, except the sampler and drum machine won't ditch band practice to be with their new girlfriend. Drum machines are awesome. Tighter rhythm and more reliable. It's win/win, really.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 am
  • :snack:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:10 am
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:10 pm
  • I'm pretty sure your picture doesn't include published instructional guitar authors, like Zeb.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:21 pm
  • pehawk wrote:I'm pretty sure your picture doesn't include published instructional guitar authors, like Zeb.

Much less published instructional guitar authors that can SHRED.

SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:34 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I'm pretty sure your picture doesn't include published instructional guitar authors, like Zeb.

Much less published instructional guitar authors that can SHRED.

Like John Mayer?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:08 pm
  • dunceface wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    Riley12 wrote:[quote="Soppie"]

Powder B from Mo Thugs is best.[/quote]

Powder P???

Krispy Kreme hands down.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:18 pm
  • Vanilla Ice... Mainly cause he has a show on DIY network.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:23 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Krispy Kreme hands down.

This is true. For 10 songs he was absolutely flawless. Probably the best 10 song streak in the history of man and music.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Previous

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information