What's the deal w Anthony McCoy?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
What's the deal w Anthony McCoy?
Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:14 am
  • McCoy was soooo clutch in the 2nd half of the year.. I really like the direction he's going. He is such a threat, especially in 2 TE sets when the defense is focused on Miller. What's McCoys contract situation like? How long is his contract and how much is he getting paid?
    Check out My Seahawks Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8
    FreshlySnipes
    NET Veteran

Re: What's the deal w Anthony McCoy?
Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:21 am
  • According to http://www.rotoworld.com/, he's scheduled to be paid $630,000 this year, the last year of his rookie 4-yr contract. He will be a FA in 2014.

Bookmark that link. I use it all the time to get NFL contract information.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 am
  • FreshlySnipes wrote:McCoy was soooo clutch in the 2nd half of the year.. I really like the direction he's going. He is such a threat, especially in 2 TE sets when the defense is focused on Miller. What's McCoys contract situation like? How long is his contract and how much is he getting paid?

I felt he was improving as well, but I didn't see enough to say he's clutch (drop against Redskins which could have been a TD?) or a threat. If the defense is worried about Miller, then it's Miller who's the threat. McCoy is just the beneficiary of 2 tightend sets where he can run uncovered making receptions with no one around him.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 am
  • his run blocking actually worries me, im the Atlanta game he was driven back a few yards by the DE's on RUNNING plays....
    Axx
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:15 am
  • he had a huge drop in the redskins playoff game
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:47 am
  • Clutch? No. Inconsistent? Yes.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 am
  • I think he's tremendously overrated by some around here.

When Cameron Morragh was healthy he was playing circles around McCoy. And Morragh isn't really a worldbeater himself.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 am
  • Give the guy a break. He had one drop vs. the Redskins and y'all forget he actually had a very good year for us. He's not the fastest guy for certain, but he was very reliable.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:56 am
  • that wasn't his first drop, come on
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 am
  • I loved McCoy's swagger... that little skip hop he does during presnap motion has got to annoy the hell out of the defense.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:51 am
  • Out of 18 receptions he had 3 TD and 13 first downs. He was only targeted 27 times so he caught 2/3rds of the passes sent to him. I think he had a really good year for a #2 TE.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:25 pm
  • Axx wrote:his run blocking actually worries me, im the Atlanta game he was driven back a few yards by the DE's on RUNNING plays....

Is that because he still lacks the necessary initial quickness and is sooooo slow at releasing with the snap of the ball? Does it have something to do with why such a big man continues to struggle at pushing smaller opponents around?

Anthony McCoy logged zero (0) special teams snaps. That is a big negative indicator going forward.

Anthony McCoy became and remains the #2 TE of record by way of default.

IMO ... Competition is needed for the #2 & #3 tight end positions.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:34 pm
  • I view his as a depth guy. I have no faith in him in the clutch. I suspect he drops to #3 in depth when we draft someone.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 pm
  • I like McCoy. He is a good 3rd TE, trying to break into a 2nd TE role. Winslow didn't make the squad for some TBD reason, so McCoy had to step up with Morrah on the DL. If you can find a good TE in the draft, do it. He is a decent #3 TE. Better than McGrath though a healthy Morrah probably would play before him.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 pm
  • I really want a better #2 TE. Would love to grab a TE in the 2nd or 3rd. I like Reed, Ecobar, Kelce, and McDonald as logical prospects.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:34 pm
  • McCoy is one of the better #2 TE's in the game, and if push came to shove and we needed the money, I would feel confident saving almost ten million by starting him and releasing Miller. McCoy is an above average blocker at the position as well as an adequate receiver. If we used the TE more, I wouldn't feel the same way, but Miller had 38 catches during the season. McCoy could step in and catch 35 for 1/10th of the price. There are barely any TE's available on the market that would be an upgrade at #2, and just about all of them would cost more money. I love McCoy's value at his price. No reason to pay more for a guy that is going to catch 20 balls at most.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:34 am
  • Tical21 wrote:McCoy is one of the better #2 TE's in the game, and if push came to shove and we needed the money, I would feel confident saving almost ten million by starting him and releasing Miller. McCoy is an above average blocker at the position as well as an adequate receiver. If we used the TE more, I wouldn't feel the same way, but Miller had 38 catches during the season. McCoy could step in and catch 35 for 1/10th of the price. There are barely any TE's available on the market that would be an upgrade at #2, and just about all of them would cost more money. I love McCoy's value at his price. No reason to pay more for a guy that is going to catch 20 balls at most.

This is kind of how I feel. I'm not quite as confident, but I think we draft someone, have them compete for 1 & 2, hoping the rookie wins out number one, and then save some cash by letting Miller go. I'm just as fine if we keep Miller. Dude was not there ALL year, but he made some pretty sick plays down the stretch.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:22 am
  • I just watched the home Rams game again. A drop, a TD killing OPI, a hold that cost us a 50 yard play to FG range...and slow as hell.

Another TE, please.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:49 am
  • introducing Darren Fells..
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Anthony McCoy
Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:54 pm
  • I hear a lot of talk about drafting a pass catching TE like that is a big need but the Seahawks Highlight Reels are full of Great plays from Wilson to McCoy. With as much as the Hawks run the ball we are never going to have a Gronkowski or Hernandez type of TE who gets those amount of targets. Esspecially because we are a WCO and rely on our recievers to fill that role.

I believe that McCoy has done an amazing job going up and catching the ball and he is still young and will only get better like the rest of our young guys.

I just thought I would post this because I never hear anyone make this argument when discussing our TE options.
    Zer0veritas
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:05 pm
  • Given the personnel on hand and the direction the coaching staff is taking the offense, what the Hawks really need is a "Move TE" who runs/plays well in space, esp. given McCoy's limitations, inconsistent hands and pending free agency (after next season). This is why I wouldn't be the least bit surprised (or disappointed) if the Hawks take Florida's Jordan Reed in the 3rd round, who profiles perfectly.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:24 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:Give the guy a break. He had one drop vs. the Redskins and y'all forget he actually had a very good year for us. He's not the fastest guy for certain, but he was very reliable.

Didn't he also cost us the first Rams game? If we won that game, we would've had a bye.
    Eamon696
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:30 pm
  • Eamon696 wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Give the guy a break. He had one drop vs. the Redskins and y'all forget he actually had a very good year for us. He's not the fastest guy for certain, but he was very reliable.

Didn't he also cost us the first Rams game? If we won that game, we would've had a bye.

There are multiple guys and plays that cost us the Rams game, it should never come down to just one guy.
    Zer0veritas
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 am
  • DARREN FELLS! That is all.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 am
  • McCoy is improving with each year, it's pretty easy to see it actually. Contract year, maybe he really has a great one.

I sure hope so.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 am
  • I like mccoy but i can't really look back at last season without watching him fall down on what would have been an easy first down catch vs. the rams early in the season that pretty much sealed the game.

Yes he made some clutch plays but so many of those were on blown coverages where he was all alone.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 am
  • Seaswab wrote:that wasn't his first drop, come on

How many do you suppose he had? He had no more than 2-3 on the year. I can only think of the Redskins drop specifically. He had one bad one in the pre-season.

I think people have an overblown impression that he dropped a bunch last year. It is true he had the drops the last several years but this year he fixed it for the most part.

Interestingly enough- alot of you wante D. WALKER the H-back from SF, who lead ALL TE's in drops he had 7 (on just 20 or so catches. MCcoy wasn't even on the list so he had no more than 3 drops this year with roughly the exact same catches as Walker)
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:I just watched the home Rams game again. A drop, a TD killing OPI, a hold that cost us a 50 yard play to FG range...and slow as hell.

Another TE, please.

Sounds good to me.

He's not cut-worthy, but he's nothing to get all excited about either.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:I like mccoy but i can't really look back at last season without watching him fall down on what would have been an easy first down catch vs. the rams early in the season that pretty much sealed the game.

Yes he made some clutch plays but so many of those were on blown coverage's where he was all alone.

My thoughts Exactly. 18 Rec on 29 Targets (and most of those on simple Roll outs and blown Coverage)
    In all Fairness to McCoy he started to look more comfortable as the season went on (7 out of 16 games Not passed to)

But the play in Washington stands out to me.. When the Pressure was on, He dropped the ball (literally)

but as a #2 TE, i would at least give him 1/2 a season (unless a real steal came up or Darren Fells pans out)
    McCoy has shown improvement every season, but that could just be the Wilson Effect

SEASON TEAM GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
    2011 SEA 16 13 24 146 11.2 31 0 7 0 0
    2012 SEA 16 18 27 291 16.2 67 3 13 0 0
    I Bleed Blue/Green/White
    Seattle Seahawks/Vancouver Canucks
    Always tuned into Covino & Rich (Sirius XM 104 - 9AM - 1 PM)
    seahawkcanuck
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 pm
  • Eamon696 wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Give the guy a break. He had one drop vs. the Redskins and y'all forget he actually had a very good year for us. He's not the fastest guy for certain, but he was very reliable.

You can't place the blame squarely on one person in a game like that. I also remember the play calling for that game was atrocious at best. Bevell was great the first series and then fell back into his normal 1/2 of the season ways.

They scored a TD on a trick play which could have been deemed a coaching error regardless of the fact that PC said he tried to call time out.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:33 pm
  • He dropped 7 of 49 targets. That doesn't seem very good to me.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:He dropped 7 of 49 targets. That doesn't seem very good to me.

That is a terrible number.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 pm
  • I don't see what all the love for the guy is about. I rate him as mediocre. He drops balls even one no one is around him. He is a decent blocker and can set an edge fairly well. In the open field he is not very good at breaking tackles and goes down easily. If we can upgrade the position we need to do it.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 pm
  • Anyone know the status of Cameron Morrah, and the team's plans for him, if any? Obviously a much better receiving TE than McCoy, but can he block as well, and anyone know if he is healthy and will be back in camp for 2013? Morrah was waived/injured at the end of last training camp.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:Anyone know the status of Cameron Morrah, and the team's plans for him, if any? Obviously a much better receiving TE than McCoy, but can he block as well, and anyone know if he is healthy and will be back in camp for 2013? Morrah was waived/injured at the end of last training camp.

McCoy is way better than Morrah. He only had 6 catches last season for 74 yards w no touchdowns and in his 3 years w the Seahawks he only has had 16 catches for 194 total yards, no touchdowns.

McCoy had 18 catches for 291 yards and 3TDs last season alone. 31 catches, 473 yards over a similar 3 year span as morrah.

FreshlySnipes
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:41 am
  • To be a real threat the #2 TE should excel at either blocking or receiving. McCoy is about league average for a back up, at both. I suspect he will have a good year being his contract year and all but I hope we go a different direction. I don't have faith in those guys that meander for 3 years and then breakout in a contract year. They always seem to revert back to their previous form after the ink dry's. I would prefer to let him walk in FA and sign a big contract elsewhere and we get the comp pick. It is a position we could easily upgrade.

I was huge on drafting him when he came in. His highlight reel was very smooth but that is what highlight reels are for and I don't think he will ever consistently be a good TE.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:03 am
  • Mccoy made a few good plays but he also made big gains when he was completely wide open, I'm not sure how much credit I want to give him for bad defense.

I have a feeling he won't be re-signed and will only find his way back on this team if another team doesn't claim him. Especially if Fells can play.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 am
  • Lets put things in perspective

He was drafted in the 6th round

He made $630k last year which while more than RW is less than Quinn will get paid this year

He is 6'5" and RW's fault last season was throwing high at times and separately when under pressure he did these "half-throw aways" (not saying these are faults) where he throw it almost out of bounds but there was a chance the WR could go up and get it. A few times the WR got clobbered on those and probably shouldn't have caught the ball - BUT McCoy is a perfect fit for those items.

He overplayed his contract by even sticking on the team one year. I think he is a good, solid player that will continue to improve but never be the number 1 guy. We need players like him to fill the roster at reasonable prices but if he has a really good year I just don't know if we can afford him next year / him and Miller will be to expensive. I think we draft to compete against him and maybe we then release Miller next year....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:02 pm
  • I'm not worried about being able to afford him. We do have 25 million in cap space, which the new players agreement helps with cuz rookies are getting paid a lot less for more seasons. Plus we don't have a high draft picks so the players we do get will be in later rounds and will be fairly inexpensive.

And while I agree that some of the catches McCoy made he was wide open but he did make plays when it counted, it doesn't matter the circumstances. We also have to remember that the second half of last year was the first year he got legit playing time. And from what I saw from him in the 2nd half of the season shows consistent improvement. He's really athletic, really tall and elusive. If he builds on last years momentum, he should be a dominant 2nd string and dual TE threat w Miller.

it's always good to have 2 TEs with different strengths. Miller is a big power blocking beast but lacks the explosiveness and maneuverability to get wide open, which is where McCoy fits perfectly.

FreshlySnipes
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm
  • He may not have been a world-beater this year, but his improvement over the course of the past 2 seasons has been big enough to get my attention.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:00 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Out of 18 receptions he had 3 TD and 13 first downs. He was only targeted 27 times so he caught 2/3rds of the passes sent to him. I think he had a really good year for a #2 TE.

I agree, he had no more than 2-3 drops on the year ( based that off of a chart I saw a few weeks back showing drops in 2012. Delanie Walker was the worst (interesting enough alot on here wanted him) . The only one I can recall was in the Washington game. I think people are greatly exaggerating his drops. I'm excited to see what he can do in year 4.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 am
  • Your right that Walker was worse on drops but he is an example of the blocking style TE. That is where his threat is and he does it to a level you can justify having him on the field even not being a receiving threat. McCoy is more of a pass catching TE that is not elite in blocking so saying Walker drops more is true but not a good measuring stick.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    Seaswab wrote:that wasn't his first drop, come on

How many do you suppose he had? He had no more than 2-3 on the year. I can only think of the Redskins drop specifically. He had one bad one in the pre-season.

I think people have an overblown impression that he dropped a bunch last year. It is true he had the drops the last several years but this year he fixed it for the most part.

Interestingly enough- alot of you wante D. WALKER the H-back from SF, who lead ALL TE's in drops he had 7 (on just 20 or so catches. MCcoy wasn't even on the list so he had no more than 3 drops this year with roughly the exact same catches as Walker)

Roughly the exact? hmmm..
    MissoulaHawk
    NET Starter

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information