Our new OLB?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Meh. Sounds like cracks open the vino for breakfast. No thanks. No whinos.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The absolute perfect Will LB for the Seahawks in the draft this year is Kansas State's Arthur Brown. He's literally out of Central Casting for our D on the weakside, and many draft analysts are calling him this year's Bobby Wagner, albeit as somone best suited at the NFL level as a 4-3 WLB rather than as a 'Mike' like Wagner (though Brown played mostly on the inside at KSU). Most draft analysts that I've read call him the most 'complete' of the OLB prospects (yes, Jarvis Jones et al included), and I agree. Sadly there's no chance he lasts to our first pick at #56, but I'd happily package whatever it took to move up and get him. In this D, with this coaching staff, and this talent around him, he'd be a Pro Bowler by year 2. Great leader/locker room guy, too.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I would like to see our staff try to coach up Zaviar Gooden out of Missouri. He needs to be a bit more disciplined and polished but i think the coaching staff could develop him into a complete monster.

chihawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":17hga3w4 said:
The absolute perfect Will LB for the Seahawks in the draft this year is Kansas State's Arthur Brown. He's literally out of Central Casting for our D on the weakside, and many draft analysts are calling him this year's Bobby Wagner, albeit as somone best suited at the NFL level as a 4-3 WLB rather than as a 'Mike' like Wagner (though Brown played mostly on the inside at KSU). Most draft analysts that I've read call him the most 'complete' of the OLB prospects (yes, Jarvis Jones et al included), and I agree. Sadly there's no chance he lasts to our first pick at #56, but I'd happily package whatever it took to move up and get him. In this D, with this coaching staff, and this talent around him, he'd be a Pro Bowler by year 2. Great leader/locker room guy, too.

Arthur Brown would be very nice, but as you mentioned there is no chance he lasts until our 2nd round pick....and it wouldn't surprise me if whoever we fans are targeting/hoping for in the 2nd round gets picked by Bears a few picks before us. They are in a huge need for LBs. If someone is there in the middle of 2nd round that would fit the position on our team, I would really hope they trade up in front of Chicago to grab him.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
A mid round possibility? Seems to check a few boxes, a developmental guy?

OLB-Ty Powell (164th overall at cbssports.com) 6-2, 249, 4.64/40,
Good mid-round (5,6) pick, w/good measureables. 32.5" arms, 9.75" hands
37" vert, 10'-2" broad, 4.40 shuttle, 6.98 cone (top of position in vert and cone)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Replacing Leroy Hill isn't as necessary as everyone thinks.

Seahawks can go with 2 primary formations as they determine what is the better match up with:

SLB: K.J. Wright; MLB: Bobby Wagner; WLB: Malcolm Smith

OR

SLB: Mike Morgan; MLB: K.J. Wright; WLB: Bobby Wagner

ALSO, if Chris Clemons returns ahead of schedule then you'll see Cliff Avril + possibly Bruce Irvin get Strong Side Reps at times.

Another possibility as well if the Seahawks hit big on a Safety they like in the Draft or pickup a Charles Woodson type, you'll most likely see Kam Chanchellor as our top Nickel Linebacker available.

Seahawks are stacked in terms of personnel they can possibly use at linebacker. I doubt they'll use a high draft pick on one during the draft, I expect them to still draft D-Line early.... with so many expensive contracts the Seahawks have tied into D-line.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":g71p7of3 said:

Seahawks can go with 2 primary formations as they determine what is the better match up with:

OR

ALSO, if Chris Clemons returns ahead of schedule then you'll see Cliff Avril + possibly Bruce Irvin get Strong Side Reps at times.

Another possibility as well if the Seahawks hit big on a Safety they like in the Draft or pickup a Charles Woodson type, you'll most likely see Kam Chanchellor as our top Nickel Linebacker available.

Seahawks are stacked in terms of personnel they can possibly use at linebacker. I doubt they'll use a high draft pick on one during the draft, I expect them to still draft D-Line early.... with so many expensive contracts the Seahawks have tied into D-line.

Not that I disagree regarding our need to draft a LB with our first pick, but your points make me wanna barf.
Kam to OLB?? The fragile, nimble Malcolm Smith as a run defender?? Wagner to OLB???? YUCCKKKK

Let's just bring in a few guys and let em' duke it out for that starting olb spot. No need to move Pro Bowl caliber players out of position. The only strict requirements for to replace Leroy is that the guy MUST be stout against the run.

I still like Allen Bradford (agile and powerful) or a rookie. I, unlike many, will also not rule out the return of Leroy Hill.
We could potentially draft a couple 5th round LBs and have them compete with both Leroy and Bradford.

Remember, this spot is for a 2 down linebacker only. Malcolm Smith is still a fine nickel linebacker if the situation calls for it (not likely to happen often once Clem returns).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
New WLB is likely Smith, Morgan, or Toomer. Beyond that you're just looking at depth at the other two positions. SLB Morgan and Toomer are candidates. MLB we don't have a viable backup to Wagz. Bradford showed some things in run D, but still needs more seasoning in pass coverage. That, and pass coverage is more of an aptitude kind of thing so we'll see. Do we hold an extra roster spot for Farwell again as a ST ace and emergency 3rd utility LB? Dunno...

We probably draft one, but not 1st or 2nd day. Also bring in unknown FAs, return 2nd year UDFAs and current UDFAs as well for competition at backup spots.

That will likely be all for LB.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
joeshaney":3hzsxkxf said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3hzsxkxf said:

OR

Not that I disagree regarding our need to draft a LB with our first pick, but your points make me wanna barf.
Kam to OLB?? The fragile, nimble Malcolm Smith as a run defender?? Wagner to OLB???? YUCCKKKK

Let's just bring in a few guys and let em' duke it out for that starting olb spot. No need to move Pro Bowl caliber players out of position. The only strict requirements for to replace Leroy is that the guy MUST be stout against the run.

I still like Allen Bradford (agile and powerful) or a rookie. I, unlike many, will also not rule out the return of Leroy Hill.
We could potentially draft a couple 5th round LBs and have them compete with both Leroy and Bradford.

Remember, this spot is for a 2 down linebacker only. Malcolm Smith is still a fine nickel linebacker if the situation calls for it (not likely to happen often once Clem returns).

I feel you underestimate Wagner... yes he's perfectly fine as an MLB... but he's a very talented player that can slide over to OLB and give our defense even more complex looks against opposing offenses. I just feel the Seahawks have 2 LBers in Wright and Wagner that can play all over the place and do it all whether blitz or cover. So as a team group think, who is most likely going to have limited linebacker depth, why wouldn't you prepare your best linebackers to play all over the field and be exceptional no matter the position.

Which brings us to Smith/Morgan. Neither is going to be a full time starter but I feel both players will get even better, bigger, and stronger entering their 3rd season. Morgan is a tank with frame to grow. And Smith brings elite speed and athletic ability to the table. If feel a lot more comfortable with those two platoon reps, with Wagner and Wright than I would some rookie.

Maybe the Seahawks will sign somebody, but IMO they have to like what they have at Linebacker in terms of speed. Morgan is a 4.46 guy. Smith 4.4. Wagner 4.47. Wright 4.7 (but is the biggest and heaviest). Plus Toomer who ran a 4.5?

Also I never said Kam would be a starter at OLB, but he would purely be our best Nickel Linebacker if another player at safety made him expendable to do so.