Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:55 am 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Posts: 9
With the departure of Leroy Hill, a small hole has surfaced in the second level of our defense, as I was scanning through some blogs this morning I saw a few ideas of who it could be. But I want to know, who do YOU think Seattle should take a chance on i.e. through the draft, or free agency. Maybe he is already on our roster, but lets fantasize a little on who our Crazy front office has in mind to come in and fill that void. Post a video, or picture or describe whoever it is you'd like to present to our esteemed panel of readers.

Here is my crazy vote: Also credit goes to Kip Earlywine as he posted this yesturday and thought he was absolutely right as a big sleeper/small school product. His quickness and ability to read the play in my opinion are very good. Pass rush awareness and the ability close is also above average.
Here is Jayson Dimanche :
http://youtu.be/8UOon6GISAI

Thanks for reading.
Go Hawks!

_________________
Superb Owl.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:56 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12378
Location: Anchorage, AK
One thing I've noticed over the years, no matter how impossible you think it is that Hill will be back, he always seems to find a way back, so don't count him out quite yet

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
man i hope not, he's slowed down considerably and it showed big time last year.. he was definately one of the weakest spots on the D.. i rather see Smith in there the Hill...

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am
Posts: 2290
I've always really like Larry Grant from the 49ers. Dude never gets to play but he was awesome against us in 2011 when Willis got hurt. He played WLB in college.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11083
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
Kip Earlywine? Never heard of him...

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 am
Posts: 325
Location: Cashmere, WA
Would be cool to see some film with him against the run instead of just rushing.

_________________
______________________________

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

GO HAWKS!! OUR SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:20 pm 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 pm
Posts: 74
There were lots of run plays.... he caught most of them behind the line.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm
Posts: 128
Location: The Wall
Man, if only Aaron Curry became the player everyone thought he would be, we would have had one outside LB position settled for a decade and wouldn't be having this conversation.

Or a time machine to bring back 2006 Julian Peterson.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Posts: 9
CANHawk wrote:
Kip Earlywine? Never heard of him...

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/i-think-i- ... ion-backup
here's the blog link.

_________________
Superb Owl.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 pm 
USAF BadAss
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:24 am
Posts: 1025
Location: Charlottesville, VA
CANHawk wrote:
Kip Earlywine? Never heard of him...


*chuckle*

_________________
Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
Tharold Simon: Humble Thug


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
Didn't Malcolm Smith do so well filling in for Leroy during a stretch last season that there was talk of him taking the job? I think we'll have good competition at the spot between Smith and someone who's brought in through the draft.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:32 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Posts: 9
Honestly i thought he was a weak spot in out defense and Leroy vs kaep scares me... he has lost a step and with only a few weaknesses on the team, i have a hard time not thinking they are going to address this need some how in the draft.

_________________
Superb Owl.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm
Posts: 971
I'd trade up a bit to make sure we get the top guy on our board whether it's Brown or Ogletree. As long as we have a few picks in the later rounds to fill in some depth (CB, WR, OL) I'm fine trading to move up. Gonna be hard to make the roster this year for the incoming class of rookies, would rather go for quality than quantity.

EDIT: I should note that this is assuming they even consider it a priority. I'd be just as fine moving up or staying put and drafting a DT, then getting a guy in the 3rd/4th/5th to compete with Malcolm Smith :)


Last edited by ErikG803 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8665
Location: Is Everything
I'm with David. I think Malcolm Smith starts. He plated decent and is a speedster. I think we kept Hill for leadership playing alongside Wagner and Smith. This year they don't need that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 3244
Location: Helotes, TX
Per JS there are a lot of good LBs in the draft. The team is also looking at Avril at SAM and I suppose Wright moving to WILL. Big lineup. Part of this may be Dan Quinn's influence. Hopefully the Hawks can return to their run defense dominance. I expect with Bobby having a year under his belt it will help a lot.

_________________
I'm In!


What attracted you to the Seahawks?
“It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am
Posts: 2290
kidhawk wrote:
One thing I've noticed over the years, no matter how impossible you think it is that Hill will be back, he always seems to find a way back, so don't count him out quite yet


Didn't they give Cliff Avril his number? That seems to send a pretty strong message


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm
Posts: 3408
Missing_Clink wrote:
kidhawk wrote:
One thing I've noticed over the years, no matter how impossible you think it is that Hill will be back, he always seems to find a way back, so don't count him out quite yet


Didn't they give Cliff Avril his number? That seems to send a pretty strong message


that he should find a new number?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm
Posts: 138
I think Malcom Smith is the Starter for now.

However don't forget about Korey Toomer. They were pretty high on that kid last year, he was just really Raw.

6'2" 234 Lbs. and ran 4.53

He'll compete this year but likely will be competing for a backup OLB spot with Mike Morgan and a rookie.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:37 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm
Posts: 771
Dimanche looks like a beast


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 290
Don't sleep on Bradford.....
Smith is a nickle LB exclusively.

I expect us to draft a couple of linebackers and have them and Bradford duke it out in training camp. I don't have any faith in Korey Toomer, but for no good reason. All I know about him is that he was cut/practice squad/cut throughout the year.

OLB- Wright/Morgan
MLB- Wagner/Farwell
OLB- Bradford/Rookie

NLB- Smith/Rookie


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm
Posts: 2359
Meh. Sounds like cracks open the vino for breakfast. No thanks. No whinos.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm
Posts: 467
The absolute perfect Will LB for the Seahawks in the draft this year is Kansas State's Arthur Brown. He's literally out of Central Casting for our D on the weakside, and many draft analysts are calling him this year's Bobby Wagner, albeit as somone best suited at the NFL level as a 4-3 WLB rather than as a 'Mike' like Wagner (though Brown played mostly on the inside at KSU). Most draft analysts that I've read call him the most 'complete' of the OLB prospects (yes, Jarvis Jones et al included), and I agree. Sadly there's no chance he lasts to our first pick at #56, but I'd happily package whatever it took to move up and get him. In this D, with this coaching staff, and this talent around him, he'd be a Pro Bowler by year 2. Great leader/locker room guy, too.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 pm
Posts: 324
I would like to see our staff try to coach up Zaviar Gooden out of Missouri. He needs to be a bit more disciplined and polished but i think the coaching staff could develop him into a complete monster.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:51 am 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Kiko Alonso. Aka Bobby Boucher.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 360
NorthDallas40oz wrote:
The absolute perfect Will LB for the Seahawks in the draft this year is Kansas State's Arthur Brown. He's literally out of Central Casting for our D on the weakside, and many draft analysts are calling him this year's Bobby Wagner, albeit as somone best suited at the NFL level as a 4-3 WLB rather than as a 'Mike' like Wagner (though Brown played mostly on the inside at KSU). Most draft analysts that I've read call him the most 'complete' of the OLB prospects (yes, Jarvis Jones et al included), and I agree. Sadly there's no chance he lasts to our first pick at #56, but I'd happily package whatever it took to move up and get him. In this D, with this coaching staff, and this talent around him, he'd be a Pro Bowler by year 2. Great leader/locker room guy, too.


Arthur Brown would be very nice, but as you mentioned there is no chance he lasts until our 2nd round pick....and it wouldn't surprise me if whoever we fans are targeting/hoping for in the 2nd round gets picked by Bears a few picks before us. They are in a huge need for LBs. If someone is there in the middle of 2nd round that would fit the position on our team, I would really hope they trade up in front of Chicago to grab him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
Posts: 879
Location: Bellevue, WA
Leon Sandcastle please

_________________
Image

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:15 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
Posts: 890
Location: Camano Island, WA
A mid round possibility? Seems to check a few boxes, a developmental guy?

OLB-Ty Powell (164th overall at cbssports.com) 6-2, 249, 4.64/40,
Good mid-round (5,6) pick, w/good measureables. 32.5" arms, 9.75" hands
37" vert, 10'-2" broad, 4.40 shuttle, 6.98 cone (top of position in vert and cone)

_________________
<--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
I think your starting OLB is already on the roster.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8665
Location: Is Everything
MANUNITED23 wrote:
I think your starting OLB is already on the roster.

Malcolm Smith


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 1288
Replacing Leroy Hill isn't as necessary as everyone thinks.

Seahawks can go with 2 primary formations as they determine what is the better match up with:

SLB: K.J. Wright; MLB: Bobby Wagner; WLB: Malcolm Smith

OR

SLB: Mike Morgan; MLB: K.J. Wright; WLB: Bobby Wagner

ALSO, if Chris Clemons returns ahead of schedule then you'll see Cliff Avril + possibly Bruce Irvin get Strong Side Reps at times.

Another possibility as well if the Seahawks hit big on a Safety they like in the Draft or pickup a Charles Woodson type, you'll most likely see Kam Chanchellor as our top Nickel Linebacker available.

Seahawks are stacked in terms of personnel they can possibly use at linebacker. I doubt they'll use a high draft pick on one during the draft, I expect them to still draft D-Line early.... with so many expensive contracts the Seahawks have tied into D-line.

_________________
#3 taught Doubters, GREATNESS can be a product of HARD WORK.
#25 taught America, that we're ALL just CLASSLESS jerks.
#24 taught the Media, to REAP what you SOW.
#12 taught the NFL, TO BE LOUDER.

YOU WANTED THIS NOISE, AMERICA.
DON'T PLAY WITH DYNAMITE, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BOOM.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:40 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 290
Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
Replacing Leroy Hill isn't as necessary as everyone thinks.

Seahawks can go with 2 primary formations as they determine what is the better match up with:

SLB: K.J. Wright; MLB: Bobby Wagner; WLB: Malcolm Smith

OR

SLB: Mike Morgan; MLB: K.J. Wright; WLB: Bobby Wagner

ALSO, if Chris Clemons returns ahead of schedule then you'll see Cliff Avril + possibly Bruce Irvin get Strong Side Reps at times.

Another possibility as well if the Seahawks hit big on a Safety they like in the Draft or pickup a Charles Woodson type, you'll most likely see Kam Chanchellor as our top Nickel Linebacker available.

Seahawks are stacked in terms of personnel they can possibly use at linebacker. I doubt they'll use a high draft pick on one during the draft, I expect them to still draft D-Line early.... with so many expensive contracts the Seahawks have tied into D-line.


Not that I disagree regarding our need to draft a LB with our first pick, but your points make me wanna barf.
Kam to OLB?? The fragile, nimble Malcolm Smith as a run defender?? Wagner to OLB???? YUCCKKKK

Let's just bring in a few guys and let em' duke it out for that starting olb spot. No need to move Pro Bowl caliber players out of position. The only strict requirements for to replace Leroy is that the guy MUST be stout against the run.

I still like Allen Bradford (agile and powerful) or a rookie. I, unlike many, will also not rule out the return of Leroy Hill.
We could potentially draft a couple 5th round LBs and have them compete with both Leroy and Bradford.

Remember, this spot is for a 2 down linebacker only. Malcolm Smith is still a fine nickel linebacker if the situation calls for it (not likely to happen often once Clem returns).


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:12 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
Posts: 1143
Location: Vancouver, WA
New WLB is likely Smith, Morgan, or Toomer. Beyond that you're just looking at depth at the other two positions. SLB Morgan and Toomer are candidates. MLB we don't have a viable backup to Wagz. Bradford showed some things in run D, but still needs more seasoning in pass coverage. That, and pass coverage is more of an aptitude kind of thing so we'll see. Do we hold an extra roster spot for Farwell again as a ST ace and emergency 3rd utility LB? Dunno...

We probably draft one, but not 1st or 2nd day. Also bring in unknown FAs, return 2nd year UDFAs and current UDFAs as well for competition at backup spots.

That will likely be all for LB.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Our new OLB?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:44 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm
Posts: 1288
joeshaney wrote:
Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
Replacing Leroy Hill isn't as necessary as everyone thinks.

Seahawks can go with 2 primary formations as they determine what is the better match up with:

SLB: K.J. Wright; MLB: Bobby Wagner; WLB: Malcolm Smith

OR

SLB: Mike Morgan; MLB: K.J. Wright; WLB: Bobby Wagner

ALSO, if Chris Clemons returns ahead of schedule then you'll see Cliff Avril + possibly Bruce Irvin get Strong Side Reps at times.

Another possibility as well if the Seahawks hit big on a Safety they like in the Draft or pickup a Charles Woodson type, you'll most likely see Kam Chanchellor as our top Nickel Linebacker available.

Seahawks are stacked in terms of personnel they can possibly use at linebacker. I doubt they'll use a high draft pick on one during the draft, I expect them to still draft D-Line early.... with so many expensive contracts the Seahawks have tied into D-line.


Not that I disagree regarding our need to draft a LB with our first pick, but your points make me wanna barf.
Kam to OLB?? The fragile, nimble Malcolm Smith as a run defender?? Wagner to OLB???? YUCCKKKK

Let's just bring in a few guys and let em' duke it out for that starting olb spot. No need to move Pro Bowl caliber players out of position. The only strict requirements for to replace Leroy is that the guy MUST be stout against the run.

I still like Allen Bradford (agile and powerful) or a rookie. I, unlike many, will also not rule out the return of Leroy Hill.
We could potentially draft a couple 5th round LBs and have them compete with both Leroy and Bradford.

Remember, this spot is for a 2 down linebacker only. Malcolm Smith is still a fine nickel linebacker if the situation calls for it (not likely to happen often once Clem returns).


I feel you underestimate Wagner... yes he's perfectly fine as an MLB... but he's a very talented player that can slide over to OLB and give our defense even more complex looks against opposing offenses. I just feel the Seahawks have 2 LBers in Wright and Wagner that can play all over the place and do it all whether blitz or cover. So as a team group think, who is most likely going to have limited linebacker depth, why wouldn't you prepare your best linebackers to play all over the field and be exceptional no matter the position.

Which brings us to Smith/Morgan. Neither is going to be a full time starter but I feel both players will get even better, bigger, and stronger entering their 3rd season. Morgan is a tank with frame to grow. And Smith brings elite speed and athletic ability to the table. If feel a lot more comfortable with those two platoon reps, with Wagner and Wright than I would some rookie.

Maybe the Seahawks will sign somebody, but IMO they have to like what they have at Linebacker in terms of speed. Morgan is a 4.46 guy. Smith 4.4. Wagner 4.47. Wright 4.7 (but is the biggest and heaviest). Plus Toomer who ran a 4.5?

Also I never said Kam would be a starter at OLB, but he would purely be our best Nickel Linebacker if another player at safety made him expendable to do so.

_________________
#3 taught Doubters, GREATNESS can be a product of HARD WORK.
#25 taught America, that we're ALL just CLASSLESS jerks.
#24 taught the Media, to REAP what you SOW.
#12 taught the NFL, TO BE LOUDER.

YOU WANTED THIS NOISE, AMERICA.
DON'T PLAY WITH DYNAMITE, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BOOM.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.