Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Re: Music sales are not affected by web piracy, study finds
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:15 am 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

Roland, I'm right there with you on the point that the industry has been absolutely HORRIBLE about effecting change in this manner. They're absolutely causing this to happen to themselves. People want product, and if that product doesn't exist (especially because it's forced NOT to), they're going to create work-arounds, legal or otherwise. And yes, digital distribution is most definitely cheaper. That's fact. There is also price gouging in the digital marketplace. Paying $14 for a classic book, especially one that's been around since the 1930s is absolutely ridiculous, and yet that's what's happening. It's also part of the reason for the lawsuits for this very thing against publishing's "Big Six".

There is absolutely bitterness over this, and that leads to more piracy, because hey, screw the man for forcing it on us. It's somehow seen as a viable strategy, though, which completely baffles me. Actually, no, it doesn't completely baffle me. It's a result of short-sighted business strategy to milk everyone for as much as they can, with piss-all thought to the long term health of the industry as a whole. We're currently seeing the book industry construct an almost exact replica of the horrible, predatory contract practices the music industry saw a decade ago. Here is the link to a number of posts by SFWA President John Scalzi's thoughts on that, starting with the post from March 6. They're well worth a read. A little off the subject of piracy to be sure, but they do paint a disturbing visual that indicates where big publishing may be heading. Hint: movies and music a decade ago. And that affects piracy. A lot.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:24 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Sailor, remember when Radiohead said "KMA" to the industry, and released their new album on their website with a pay-what-you-think-it's-worth motto, and you could download it without paying anything if you wanted to?

http://gizmodo.com/305566/radiohead-off ... ant-to-pay

I wonder how that turned out...

Oh, it looks like it was a success, and that while plenty of people still downloaded it for free, many paid; and it brought the band more money than its prior album. They accomplished that by offering it for free, merely asking people to pay what they felt it was worth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Rainbow ... t_placings

Yeah, you can go to hell now, RIAA/MPAA.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am 

Yep, yep. And sadly, nobody in the industry learned a damn thing. Except artists.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:39 am 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
Sailor, remember when Radiohead said "KMA" to the industry, and released their new album on their website with a pay-what-you-think-it's-worth motto, and you could download it without paying anything if you wanted to?

http://gizmodo.com/305566/radiohead-off ... ant-to-pay

I wonder how that turned out...

Oh, it looks like it was a success, and that while plenty of people still downloaded it for free, many paid; and it brought the band more money than its prior album. They accomplished that by offering it for free, merely asking people to pay what they felt it was worth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Rainbow ... t_placings

Yeah, you can go to hell now, RIAA/MPAA.

Not a fan of Radiohead, but this was genius on their part. I really thought that after their success on this that more bands would do it, sadly they haven't though.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Okie, I think a large part of the problem is that many artists are tied to their music label for ridiculously long contracts; but I don't know.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 am 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:

DTexHawk wrote:
Ultimately, we are all individuals with different opinions on right/wrong and we all draw our individual lines in different places.

...And some of us are fine with this idea, and don't push it onto others. Others, like you, try to put us in a time-out chair, pushing your perception of morals onto us. I don't tell you what you should or should not do, why do you feel the need to lecture us on your definition of stealing/pirating?

So can I quote you whenever you reply on a thread that someone is doing something that is wrong/illegal? ;)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:37 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Once music or video or data is created it exists and nobody has the right to control whether somebody is allowed to listen to it or watch it or use it or not. Good, reasonable, honest people know when & how to contribute monetarily to the people who put in the work to create it. It's the 21st century and that's how things work now. These are the new morals because the old ones don't fit anymore. There will always be people who misuse or take advantage of the system, just like there always has been.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am 
NET Veteran

Zebulon Dak wrote:
Once music or video or data is created it exists and nobody has the right to control whether somebody is allowed to listen to it or watch it or use it or not. Good, reasonable, honest people know when & how to contribute monetarily to the people who put in the work to create it. It's the 21st century and that's how things work now. These are the new morals because the old ones don't fit anymore. There will always be people who misuse or take advantage of the system, just like there always has been.

So any politician can use what ever music they want in their campaign and the artist/songwriter can't get them to stop.

Good to know!

Love these new morals!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 am 
*Host of .NET Awards*

DTexHawk wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:

So any politician can use what ever music they want in their campaign and the artist/songwriter can't get them to stop.

Good to know!

Love these new morals!

No. It's different if someone is using it for personal gain. Just like if someone is selling bootleg movies and music from the trunk of their car.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:10 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

DTexHawk wrote:
So can I quote you whenever you reply on a thread that someone is doing something that is wrong/illegal? ;)

It's impossible for there to be different degrees, or levels of severity with things with you, isn't it? Tiniest infraction: DEATH PENALTY. Murdering 17 people in cold blood: DEATH PENALTY.

:roll:

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

SacHawk2.0 wrote:
DTexHawk wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:

Good to know!

Love these new morals!

No. It's different if someone is using it for personal gain. Just like if someone is selling bootleg movies and music from the trunk of their car.

Right. Public broadcast, advertisement, selling something that doesn't belong to you are different situations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

DTexHawk wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:

Good to know!

Love these new morals!

This is the same guy that said Russell Wilson sucked.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Largent80 wrote:

Did he? DTex, is this true? Did you pull a "cboom"?

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:46 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

RolandDeschain wrote:
Largent80 wrote:

Did he? DTex, is this true? Did you pull a "cboom"?

To be fair, a lot of people didn't believe in RW3 till after the Pats game, some it took even longer. They're all idiots, don't get me wrong, but there were a lot of them.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

My bad, it was Daytoman, but Dtex still sux.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:09 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

You confused a Texan with an Oklahoman? Oh man. DTex's gonna be pissed.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:46 pm 
NET Veteran

Zebulon Dak wrote:

Largent80 is always confused, so no prob.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:47 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Zebulon Dak wrote:

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:49 pm 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
DTexHawk wrote:

It's impossible for there to be different degrees, or levels of severity with things with you, isn't it? Tiniest infraction: DEATH PENALTY. Murdering 17 people in cold blood: DEATH PENALTY.

:roll:

Not at all, I already said we all draw our lines in different places.

And really, is me giving you sh*t for the "tiniest infraction" the same as the DEATH PENALTY. ;)

And just for the record, I am against the death penalty for the 17 yr old killer. And I don't find any joy by wishing him harm.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

My arms are hairy. I'm gonna shave em and send the hair to DTex. He can either bail them up into a pacifier or glue them to areas that he has none.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

Largent80 wrote:
My arms are hairy. I'm gonna shave em and send the hair to DTex. He can either bail them up into a pacifier or glue them to areas that he has none.

This will now be added to the memorable quotes thread

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

DTexHawk wrote:
And just for the record, I am against the death penalty for the 17 yr old killer. And I don't find any joy by wishing him harm.

See, now I don't even believe that you're a Texan.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:22 pm 
* NET Radish *

Back on the original conversation in my opinion anyone that believes pirating music doesn't affect the sales/profits to the artist of same should look into the vast lake areas being sold in Utah/Arizona.

You could get a bargain on beach front to build on.

:P

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:28 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

The Radish wrote:
Back on the original conversation in my opinion anyone that believes pirating music doesn't affect the sales/profits to the artist of same should look into the vast lake areas being sold in Utah/Arizona.

Well, you could always check out the study.

Seriously though, the digital age changed the music industry and it did affect record sales. But you have to look at the current state of the industry and accept that it's not going to get back to the way things were. It's important that musicians and record companies stay up to date if they want to continue making money, because there's still plenty of it out there to be had. And the people who are doing it right are still making lots and lots of it.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:29 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

The Radish wrote:

Of course it affects the sales and profits. The question is, does the massive extra exposure lead to even more profits than they would have had without the pirating and its huge extra exposure, or not? Serious statement/question.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:28 pm 
NET Veteran

Throwdown wrote:
-read this while illegally downloading music-

:)

Dude. Never admit to a crime in writing, no matter how f'in' stupid said law might be.
It's a federal crime, they're tenacious and essentially boundary-less.

Pete Carroll
"We got grit. That's it."
Earl Thomas.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:33 pm 

Zebulon Dak wrote:
The Radish wrote:

Well, you could always check out the study.

Seriously though, the digital age changed the music industry and it did affect record sales. But you have to look at the current state of the industry and accept that it's not going to get back to the way things were. It's important that musicians and record companies stay up to date if they want to continue making money, because there's still plenty of it out there to be had. And the people who are doing it right are still making lots and lots of it.

There are also a number of examples from authors who put their work out for free and challenged readers to "steal" their books. As I recall, they all recorded huge up-ticks in sales afterward. Like I said earlier, the number one killer of artists and authors is not piracy, but rather obscurity.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 pm 
NET Veteran

release parties for albums that were leaked a week or two ahead of time are always kinda.......awkward :D

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]