Cutler to run read-option

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It'll probably be a good improvement for their offense, honestly. Stop depending on their tepid O-line for anything, haha.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Cutler has some moves, but the guy is a concussion waiting to happen. Seems like a quick way to end the season for the Bears.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
When I clicked this, I expected to see an article from theonion. Still made me lol.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I do love watching Cutler get sacked time and time again. This is going to be a riot to watch!

The Outfield

Reaction score
Aww man. Too bad we aren't playing the Bears in the regular season this year. We'd have a better chance at setting some sort of sack record.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
The Outfield":zsmopccg said:
Aww man. Too bad we aren't playing the Bears in the regular season this year. We'd have a better chance at setting some sort of sack record.

seems like we played them every year too, was beginning to think they were in the division

PGunning101

Reaction score
I do remember Cutler making Earl Thomas (I think) look like a fool on one play last year. Cutler has underrated athleticism. But this is still funny.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I might watch every bears game next season since I am a fan of Cutler...getting sacked.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Cutler has some wheels, but I wouldn't count on him enjoying that too much. There are really only a few teams that can do it and even the Niners and Hawks aren't running it much. More about the threat than the actual use.

I wonder how the Skins will fare? RG3 really coming back like new? It seems they were the ones using it the most and eventually RG3 even got hurt.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
It was truly entertaining going into Chicago and winning three straight. I could see them winning the 2011 game without Cutler, but I had the other two chalked up as losses. 3 different QB's, same result.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":jy0x872p said:
It was truly entertaining going into Chicago and winning three straight. I could see them winning the 2011 game without Cutler, but I had the other two chalked up as losses. 3 different QB's, same result.

3 straight? Did you forget the playoffs? We went to Chicago in round 2 and lost to them because, like our last @ 49ers game, our receivers couldn't catch the clap in a Mexican whorehouse that day. We've won the last two, lost the one before that, and won the one before that which was in the regular season of the same year we lost to them in the playoffs.

themunn

Reaction score
The thing about the read-option is I don't think it takes a particularly mobile quarterback to run it, it's more of an evolution of the play-action pass than a new "gimmick".
Whereas before in PA the QB would always keep the ball, the read-option just requires the QB to make that decision on the fly. It's obviously more dangerous with mobile QBs, but I think anyone that has good pocket awareness could run a form of it

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A one legged RGIII who would run the 40 in about 3 minutes gained 9 yards on us with a run option play. Applied properly, Cutler can use a tool like this well.

And anybody who thinks Trestman is going to put his QB in a ton of danger is being silly. Not to mention the most dangerous spot on Chicago's field is right behind the center. Watch Cutler play us, he does some pretty amazing stuff on the move.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Scottemojo":29ug98p2 said:
A one legged RGIII who would run the 40 in about 3 minutes gained 9 yards on us with a run option play. Applied properly, Cutler can use a tool like this well.

And anybody who thinks Trestman is going to put his QB in a ton of danger is being silly. Not to mention the most dangerous spot on Chicago's field is right behind the center. Watch Cutler play us, he does some pretty amazing stuff on the move.

Like I said, Cutler has some moves, but I highly doubt they want him running the option like Wilson or RG3. RG3 on a bad knee is still more dangerous than Cutler on the run. Cutler can slip a tackle or two, but he is not a threat to reach the outside, which means defenses won't have to worry about contain as much. So, in your mind, where do you see Cutler running this read option? If he isn't a threat to get to the outside, and he isn't known for making quick decisions, that leaves Cutler essentially a sitting duck behind the line. The same line which he has taken a beating behind for the last few years. Obviously Trestman doesn't want to get Cutler hurt, but at the same time, there is no way Cutler runs this system effectively in Chicago without taking a few shots.

The ONLY saving grace to this decision isn't from Cutler's end, but I believe they have a pair of RBs that would work really well in the read option. I would imagine Cutler running the read option would be inclined to option to the RB 90% of the time.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer":f6ohf9mn said:
It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.

Come on, remember that the NFL is a business that is in the business of providing entertainment. I'm going to pull a Russell Crowe from Gladiator here, and ask "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

I'd love to see Cutler with the read option.