Tony McDaniel visiting today

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
Per Schefter twitter

He is a DT for those, like me, who have never heard of him. Two run ins with authority according to our friends at wikipedia.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Seems like he was primarily just depth for the Dolphins, but I noticed that they had him listed as a DE and a DT at various points, so maybe his versatility is something the front office is looking at.

NYCoug

Reaction score
This guy HAS TO end up a Seahawk. I won't enjoy life as much if Tony McDaniel isn't a part of the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl.

Just watch the video in this link. I love this guy. Loves red velvet cake and playstation too much. Only uses the Dolphins (that'll change though) in Madden. Doesn't make himself a starter, just keeps it real and brings himself in on 3rd down's and short yardage situations. With Michael Bennett possibly getting the bulk of the time at the 3-Tech, McDaniel could actually be a solid replacement for Alan Branch as a rotational guy (which is likely what Branch would be at this point with the defense looking the way it is) and possibly a cheaper alternative too.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/03/21/report-dt-tony-mcdaniel-visiting-seattle/

Also, anyone think that in the near future every team will have their own Mike Rob "Real Rob Report" guy? Now that Mike's opened up that avenue, I bet you it takes off even more so than Hard Knocks. Every team will have their own Real Rob Report by 2015.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
He's a different player than Alan Branch. I think the better comparison would be Jason Jones. A DT that comes in on passing downs.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1ial1ri4 said:
Would he be an upgrade or downgrade from alan branch?

Good question. Branch was worthless as a pass rusher and as everyone keeps harping on the run defense wasn't good the 2nd half of the year. So my question is why are so many concerned with resigning Branch? If the main reason he's playing to be a run-stuffer and the run defense sucked, than why is he so valuable?

McGruff

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":dqg9kb3v said:

My gut says downgrade, but that's probably because I know what we have in Branch and have no clue who Tony McDaniel is . . .

He's a 6'7" . . . Big for a DT?

McGruff

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3s4qdfh5 said:
Missing_Clink":3s4qdfh5 said:

Good question. Branch was worthless as a pass rusher and as everyone keeps harping on the run defense wasn't good the 2nd half of the year. So my question is why are so many concerned with resigning Branch? If the main reason he's playing to be a run-stuffer and the run defense sucked, than why is he so valuable?

1st half of the year the run defense was stellar . . . Second half we had nagging injuries to Red, Brandon, Kam and Hill . . . Probably our four best run defenders. I think that has a lot more to do with our season long decline in run defense than Alan Branch.

NYCoug

Reaction score
McGruff":35006zmg said:
Missing_Clink":35006zmg said:

My gut says downgrade, but that's probably because I know what we have in Branch and have no clue who Tony McDaniel is . . .

He's a 6'7" . . . Big for a DT?

Maybe Dan Quinn sees him as possibly being able to spell Red on occasion and play the 5-Tech as well as DT? Nothing to back this up, just going off of Quinn's history with taller than usual Seahawks DT's.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
training camp body.

I'm not super concerned about DT like everyone else seems to be.

We have Mebane.

Bryant can play inside if he needs to now that we have a plethora of DE's. ON top of Clemons, Irvin, Avril, and Bennett don't forget we also have Scruggs. He racked up a couple sacks last year in very limited playing time.

We also have Jay Howard who pete and John feel pretty strongly about.

We bring in a couple DT's to camp, and draft one or two, we'll be fine.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Interesting. McDaniel is more of a pass rusher than a run stopper so we seem to really be loading up on those that can get after the QB. Lets hope we add some pieces to do something to help the run D that started to fade near the end of last year.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Omar Kelly‏@OmarKelly13m
Seahawk fans should know they'll be getting a GREAT DE/DT if Tony McDaniel signing. He's tough & has position flexibility.

NYCoug

Reaction score
GoHawks":1dhrnb5c said:
Omar Kelly‏@OmarKelly13m
Seahawk fans should know they'll be getting a GREAT DE/DT if Tony McDaniel signing. He's tough & has position flexibility.

That Dolphins DLine beat the stuffing out of our OLine this past season. Most of it was Starks and Soliai, but pretty much everyone took a turn in whippin our a$$ down in Miami. I wouldn't mind that kind of toughness on our line next year.

And has anyone watch that video yet? The man LOVES red velvet cake. How can you not pull for the dude?

Also, the Training Camp battles between him and Sweezy would be LEGENDARY. Everyone knows about JR handing the old bus driver a beating down in Raleigh when he was at NC State, how bout this for campus brutality? From McDaniel's wikipedia page...

January 2005 McDaniel assaulted fellow University of Tennessee student, Edward Goodrich, during a pick-up basketball game for which Goodrich received 4 broken bones and needed a metal plate inserted into his face to repair injuries. McDaniel, originally charged with aggravated assault, a felony, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and agreed to pay restitution to Goodrich for an undisclosed amount. Goodrich had filed an $800,000 lawsuit against McDaniel in Knox County Circuit Court.

Even more of a reason to go check out Training Camp this year!

Starrman44

Reaction score
My wife absolutely rocks a Red Velvet Cake. It just kills. My son likes Red Velvet everything. We go to yogurt shack and if there's Red Velvet yogurt he's going for it. I don't like the yogurt version, but I do like the cake (although it makes you mouth all red).

I really do like the whole Real Rob reporting style that's going on.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3btl2pw3 said:
If Mebane goes down we are screwed.

We need more depth

Sando's take is he's insurance in case we lose Branch. I wish we could somehow replace Mebane's calfs with ones that don't pull all the time. The difference in run D is immediately noticable one he loses his push. It happens almost ever season.