well they pass the new rule leading with crown...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pstark3":1lltb2rs said:
JSeahawks":1lltb2rs said:
Pstark3":1lltb2rs said:
Mike Rob and Marshawn Lynch disgusted by the rule..

Rob said Marshawn even said "I dont wanna play anymore"

Live on Total access right now. Wow.

I dont think i've ever seen Marshawn lead with the crown of his helmet. I'd be surprised if he drew a single flag next season.

He did plant his facemask about 8 inches into Goldston's chest though.

Mike Rob said that he was taught his whole life to deliver the blow, and not to accept it, and looking at this new rule, in real time, is gonna be extremely tough for power backs to deliver the blow when the defender is getting low

I bet he was never taught to do it with his head down and lead with the top of his head.

He can deliver the blow and run exactly how he has his whole career. There's nothing saying they can't lower their head to take on contact. Or even lower their head to initiate contact. Just do it with your head up like all football players are taught since middle school.

Pstark3

Reaction score
JSeahawks":kf41zlrs said:
Pstark3":kf41zlrs said:
JSeahawks":kf41zlrs said:
I dont think i've ever seen Marshawn lead with the crown of his helmet. I'd be surprised if he drew a single flag next season.

He did plant his facemask about 8 inches into Goldston's chest though.

Mike Rob said that he was taught his whole life to deliver the blow, and not to accept it, and looking at this new rule, in real time, is gonna be extremely tough for power backs to deliver the blow when the defender is getting low

I bet he was never taught to do it with his head down and lead with the top of his head.

He can deliver the blow and run exactly how he has his whole career. There's nothing saying they can't lower their head to take on contact. Or even lower their head to initiate contact. Just do it with your head up like all football players are taught since middle school.
I understand that, but the problem comes from making these calls in real time. games can be decided way to easily by refs now IMHO

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pstark3":3uwa9awt said:
I understand that, but the problem comes from making these calls in real time. games can be decided way to easily by refs now IMHO

I can see that side of the argument, but then we should be complaining about the officials, not about the rule. Its just part of the human part of sports and will always be there.

IMO this rule will be a lot easier to see and call then holding or pass interference. I mean, a guy either leads with the top of his helmet in the open field or he doesnt. Its pretty cut and dry. There are ton of missed or botched holding calls everygame. There are tons of incorrectly called/or not called interference penalties. All in all, i think the impact of this rule will be very, very small on the game and be less then the impact of holding or PI.

As for Marshaun saying he doesnt want to play anymore. I"m guessing once he thinks about his pay checks, and takes the time to understand the rule, he'll get over it. :)

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
This is just the league covering their ass, this will hardly ever get called. Like someone else said, it would have only been called 30 times all year. The only reason it's getting passed is so the league can say "we have rules against that!" if/when someone gets hurt while leading with the crown. It won't be an issue.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Would the hit Mike Rob delivered to Tim Jennings last year have been penalized? Rob put the crown of his helmet into Jennings shoulder in the open field, trucked that little guy, and broke his shoulder in a great open field play.

We might have lost that game with this rule. Think about that.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":210som9n said:
Would the hit Mike Rob delivered to Tim Jennings last year have been penalized? Rob put the crown of his helmet into Jennings shoulder in the open field, trucked that little guy, and broke his shoulder in a great open field play.

We might have lost that game with this rule. Think about that.

Yes, that play was there prime highlight on espn.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ehgfr264 said:
I can see that side of the argument, but then we should be complaining about the officials, not about the rule. Its just part of the human part of sports and will always be there.

And because of that, the league should not be passing rules that make even more of the game subject to judgement calls by officials, but that is exactly what they are doing.

I hate to quote Jerome Bettis but I think he hit the nail on the head this morning:

“We’re creating so many plays that are subjective for the referee, that before you know it the referee controls the outcome of the game because these calls can go either way, and then the referees start taking too prominent of a role in deciding the outcome of the game."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tis-says-nfls-new-helmet-rule-makes-no-sense/

CPHawk

Reaction score
Just using the "helmet as a weapon" will be called outside of the tackles. It doesn't have to be a helmet to helmet thing, just the RB using his helmet to lower the boom on a guy. Can't wait for the first RB to keep his head up and take a helmet to the jaw.