Our new OLB?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Our new OLB?
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:55 am
  • With the departure of Leroy Hill, a small hole has surfaced in the second level of our defense, as I was scanning through some blogs this morning I saw a few ideas of who it could be. But I want to know, who do YOU think Seattle should take a chance on i.e. through the draft, or free agency. Maybe he is already on our roster, but lets fantasize a little on who our Crazy front office has in mind to come in and fill that void. Post a video, or picture or describe whoever it is you'd like to present to our esteemed panel of readers.

Here is my crazy vote: Also credit goes to Kip Earlywine as he posted this yesturday and thought he was absolutely right as a big sleeper/small school product. His quickness and ability to read the play in my opinion are very good. Pass rush awareness and the ability close is also above average.
    Here is Jayson Dimanche :
    http://youtu.be/8UOon6GISAI

Thanks for reading.
    Go Hawks!
    Superb Owl.
    Speakinhawk68
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Our new OLB?
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:56 am
  • One thing I've noticed over the years, no matter how impossible you think it is that Hill will be back, he always seems to find a way back, so don't count him out quite yet

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am
  • man i hope not, he's slowed down considerably and it showed big time last year.. he was definately one of the weakest spots on the D.. i rather see Smith in there the Hill...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 am
  • I've always really like Larry Grant from the 49ers. Dude never gets to play but he was awesome against us in 2011 when Willis got hurt. He played WLB in college.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am
  • Kip Earlywine? Never heard of him...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 am
  • Would be cool to see some film with him against the run instead of just rushing.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:20 pm
  • There were lots of run plays.... he caught most of them behind the line.
    CEHawk
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 pm
  • Man, if only Aaron Curry became the player everyone thought he would be, we would have had one outside LB position settled for a decade and wouldn't be having this conversation.

Or a time machine to bring back 2006 Julian Peterson.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:Kip Earlywine? Never heard of him...

*chuckle*
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Didn't Malcolm Smith do so well filling in for Leroy during a stretch last season that there was talk of him taking the job? I think we'll have good competition at the spot between Smith and someone who's brought in through the draft.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Honestly i thought he was a weak spot in out defense and Leroy vs kaep scares me... he has lost a step and with only a few weaknesses on the team, i have a hard time not thinking they are going to address this need some how in the draft.
    Superb Owl.
    Speakinhawk68
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 pm
  • I'd trade up a bit to make sure we get the top guy on our board whether it's Brown or Ogletree. As long as we have a few picks in the later rounds to fill in some depth (CB, WR, OL) I'm fine trading to move up. Gonna be hard to make the roster this year for the incoming class of rookies, would rather go for quality than quantity.

EDIT: I should note that this is assuming they even consider it a priority. I'd be just as fine moving up or staying put and drafting a DT, then getting a guy in the 3rd/4th/5th to compete with Malcolm Smith :)
    Last edited by ErikG803 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 pm
  • I'm with David. I think Malcolm Smith starts. He plated decent and is a speedster. I think we kept Hill for leadership playing alongside Wagner and Smith. This year they don't need that.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm
  • Per JS there are a lot of good LBs in the draft. The team is also looking at Avril at SAM and I suppose Wright moving to WILL. Big lineup. Part of this may be Dan Quinn's influence. Hopefully the Hawks can return to their run defense dominance. I expect with Bobby having a year under his belt it will help a lot.
    I'm In!

What attracted you to the Seahawks?
    “It’s a combination of what I believe the coaches are doing here, the atmosphere and what I think we’re going to do here in the future. I think we’re going to win and win a lot and be a championship team.” – Zac Miller, August 4, 2011
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:One thing I've noticed over the years, no matter how impossible you think it is that Hill will be back, he always seems to find a way back, so don't count him out quite yet

Didn't they give Cliff Avril his number? That seems to send a pretty strong message
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm
  • Missing_Clink wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:One thing I've noticed over the years, no matter how impossible you think it is that Hill will be back, he always seems to find a way back, so don't count him out quite yet

Didn't they give Cliff Avril his number? That seems to send a pretty strong message

that he should find a new number?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm
  • I think Malcom Smith is the Starter for now.

However don't forget about Korey Toomer. They were pretty high on that kid last year, he was just really Raw.

6'2" 234 Lbs. and ran 4.53

He'll compete this year but likely will be competing for a backup OLB spot with Mike Morgan and a rookie.
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:37 pm
  • Dimanche looks like a beast
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm
  • Don't sleep on Bradford.....
    Smith is a nickle LB exclusively.

I expect us to draft a couple of linebackers and have them and Bradford duke it out in training camp. I don't have any faith in Korey Toomer, but for no good reason. All I know about him is that he was cut/practice squad/cut throughout the year.

OLB- Wright/Morgan
    MLB- Wagner/Farwell
    OLB- Bradford/Rookie

NLB- Smith/Rookie
    joeshaney
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm
  • Meh. Sounds like cracks open the vino for breakfast. No thanks. No whinos.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 pm
  • The absolute perfect Will LB for the Seahawks in the draft this year is Kansas State's Arthur Brown. He's literally out of Central Casting for our D on the weakside, and many draft analysts are calling him this year's Bobby Wagner, albeit as somone best suited at the NFL level as a 4-3 WLB rather than as a 'Mike' like Wagner (though Brown played mostly on the inside at KSU). Most draft analysts that I've read call him the most 'complete' of the OLB prospects (yes, Jarvis Jones et al included), and I agree. Sadly there's no chance he lasts to our first pick at #56, but I'd happily package whatever it took to move up and get him. In this D, with this coaching staff, and this talent around him, he'd be a Pro Bowler by year 2. Great leader/locker room guy, too.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 pm
  • I would like to see our staff try to coach up Zaviar Gooden out of Missouri. He needs to be a bit more disciplined and polished but i think the coaching staff could develop him into a complete monster.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:51 am
  • Kiko Alonso. Aka Bobby Boucher.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 am
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:The absolute perfect Will LB for the Seahawks in the draft this year is Kansas State's Arthur Brown. He's literally out of Central Casting for our D on the weakside, and many draft analysts are calling him this year's Bobby Wagner, albeit as somone best suited at the NFL level as a 4-3 WLB rather than as a 'Mike' like Wagner (though Brown played mostly on the inside at KSU). Most draft analysts that I've read call him the most 'complete' of the OLB prospects (yes, Jarvis Jones et al included), and I agree. Sadly there's no chance he lasts to our first pick at #56, but I'd happily package whatever it took to move up and get him. In this D, with this coaching staff, and this talent around him, he'd be a Pro Bowler by year 2. Great leader/locker room guy, too.

Arthur Brown would be very nice, but as you mentioned there is no chance he lasts until our 2nd round pick....and it wouldn't surprise me if whoever we fans are targeting/hoping for in the 2nd round gets picked by Bears a few picks before us. They are in a huge need for LBs. If someone is there in the middle of 2nd round that would fit the position on our team, I would really hope they trade up in front of Chicago to grab him.
    chihawk
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 am
  • Leon Sandcastle please

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:15 am
  • A mid round possibility? Seems to check a few boxes, a developmental guy?

OLB-Ty Powell (164th overall at cbssports.com) 6-2, 249, 4.64/40,
    Good mid-round (5,6) pick, w/good measureables. 32.5" arms, 9.75" hands
    37" vert, 10'-2" broad, 4.40 shuttle, 6.98 cone (top of position in vert and cone)
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 am
  • I think your starting OLB is already on the roster.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 pm
  • MANUNITED23 wrote:I think your starting OLB is already on the roster.

Malcolm Smith
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 pm
  • Replacing Leroy Hill isn't as necessary as everyone thinks.

Seahawks can go with 2 primary formations as they determine what is the better match up with:

SLB: K.J. Wright; MLB: Bobby Wagner; WLB: Malcolm Smith

OR

SLB: Mike Morgan; MLB: K.J. Wright; WLB: Bobby Wagner

ALSO, if Chris Clemons returns ahead of schedule then you'll see Cliff Avril + possibly Bruce Irvin get Strong Side Reps at times.

Another possibility as well if the Seahawks hit big on a Safety they like in the Draft or pickup a Charles Woodson type, you'll most likely see Kam Chanchellor as our top Nickel Linebacker available.

Seahawks are stacked in terms of personnel they can possibly use at linebacker. I doubt they'll use a high draft pick on one during the draft, I expect them to still draft D-Line early.... with so many expensive contracts the Seahawks have tied into D-line.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:40 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Replacing Leroy Hill isn't as necessary as everyone thinks.

Seahawks can go with 2 primary formations as they determine what is the better match up with:

OR

ALSO, if Chris Clemons returns ahead of schedule then you'll see Cliff Avril + possibly Bruce Irvin get Strong Side Reps at times.

Another possibility as well if the Seahawks hit big on a Safety they like in the Draft or pickup a Charles Woodson type, you'll most likely see Kam Chanchellor as our top Nickel Linebacker available.

Seahawks are stacked in terms of personnel they can possibly use at linebacker. I doubt they'll use a high draft pick on one during the draft, I expect them to still draft D-Line early.... with so many expensive contracts the Seahawks have tied into D-line.

Not that I disagree regarding our need to draft a LB with our first pick, but your points make me wanna barf.
    Kam to OLB?? The fragile, nimble Malcolm Smith as a run defender?? Wagner to OLB???? YUCCKKKK

Let's just bring in a few guys and let em' duke it out for that starting olb spot. No need to move Pro Bowl caliber players out of position. The only strict requirements for to replace Leroy is that the guy MUST be stout against the run.

I still like Allen Bradford (agile and powerful) or a rookie. I, unlike many, will also not rule out the return of Leroy Hill.
    We could potentially draft a couple 5th round LBs and have them compete with both Leroy and Bradford.

Remember, this spot is for a 2 down linebacker only. Malcolm Smith is still a fine nickel linebacker if the situation calls for it (not likely to happen often once Clem returns).
    joeshaney
    NET Starter

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:12 am
  • New WLB is likely Smith, Morgan, or Toomer. Beyond that you're just looking at depth at the other two positions. SLB Morgan and Toomer are candidates. MLB we don't have a viable backup to Wagz. Bradford showed some things in run D, but still needs more seasoning in pass coverage. That, and pass coverage is more of an aptitude kind of thing so we'll see. Do we hold an extra roster spot for Farwell again as a ST ace and emergency 3rd utility LB? Dunno...

We probably draft one, but not 1st or 2nd day. Also bring in unknown FAs, return 2nd year UDFAs and current UDFAs as well for competition at backup spots.

That will likely be all for LB.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:44 am
  • joeshaney wrote:
    Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Replacing Leroy Hill isn't as necessary as everyone thinks.

OR

Not that I disagree regarding our need to draft a LB with our first pick, but your points make me wanna barf.
    Kam to OLB?? The fragile, nimble Malcolm Smith as a run defender?? Wagner to OLB???? YUCCKKKK

Let's just bring in a few guys and let em' duke it out for that starting olb spot. No need to move Pro Bowl caliber players out of position. The only strict requirements for to replace Leroy is that the guy MUST be stout against the run.

I still like Allen Bradford (agile and powerful) or a rookie. I, unlike many, will also not rule out the return of Leroy Hill.
    We could potentially draft a couple 5th round LBs and have them compete with both Leroy and Bradford.

Remember, this spot is for a 2 down linebacker only. Malcolm Smith is still a fine nickel linebacker if the situation calls for it (not likely to happen often once Clem returns).

I feel you underestimate Wagner... yes he's perfectly fine as an MLB... but he's a very talented player that can slide over to OLB and give our defense even more complex looks against opposing offenses. I just feel the Seahawks have 2 LBers in Wright and Wagner that can play all over the place and do it all whether blitz or cover. So as a team group think, who is most likely going to have limited linebacker depth, why wouldn't you prepare your best linebackers to play all over the field and be exceptional no matter the position.

Which brings us to Smith/Morgan. Neither is going to be a full time starter but I feel both players will get even better, bigger, and stronger entering their 3rd season. Morgan is a tank with frame to grow. And Smith brings elite speed and athletic ability to the table. If feel a lot more comfortable with those two platoon reps, with Wagner and Wright than I would some rookie.

Maybe the Seahawks will sign somebody, but IMO they have to like what they have at Linebacker in terms of speed. Morgan is a 4.46 guy. Smith 4.4. Wagner 4.47. Wright 4.7 (but is the biggest and heaviest). Plus Toomer who ran a 4.5?

Also I never said Kam would be a starter at OLB, but he would purely be our best Nickel Linebacker if another player at safety made him expendable to do so.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information