niners sign new kicker

4freakin9

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3utdkltc said:
My mistake. I thought Akers was 34, for some reason; not 38. They're the same age. Old. I take my statement back, as it was predominantly based on an incorrect assumption on my part regarding the age. Nobody should sign a 38-year-old kicker. Mare's last good year was at the age of 36, with the Seahawks, as an example.

Dawson was a pro bowler at 37 and had his best season last year. While injuries may be a bit more of a concern at his age, their is no reason to believe his skill is just going to fall off the cliff.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
4freakin9":2bfhrto5 said:
RolandDeschain":2bfhrto5 said:
My mistake. I thought Akers was 34, for some reason; not 38. They're the same age. Old. I take my statement back, as it was predominantly based on an incorrect assumption on my part regarding the age. Nobody should sign a 38-year-old kicker. Mare's last good year was at the age of 36, with the Seahawks, as an example.

Dawson was a pro bowler at 37 and had his best season last year. While injuries may be a bit more of a concern at his age, their is no reason to believe his skill is just going to fall off the cliff.

Olindo Mare was a Pro Bowl alternate (and if not for the Seahawks being nobodies still at that time, he'd have been in as a #1) in his last year with us. Then, he did fall off a cliff and die on impact in terms of his career/performance. Look at his stats. :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to miss HALF his field goals, or anything. I just think his absolute best ceiling at this age is probably average. Why not use one of the 793 draft picks you guys have on a kicker? Almost guaranteed to be an improvement. Maybe they still will, but for a million-dollar signing bonus, I highly doubt it. It's just a head-scratcher of a signing, considering all the spare picks you guys have, IMO.

heyu123

Reaction score
I agree a rookie kicker makes sense. The only thing I can think of is maybe Harbaugh wants someone proven in the clutch that he can trust since the team will probably be playing a lot of pressure packed games this season. Dawson fits that description.

He might not have been comfortable with a rookie.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":4tjm9kb1 said:
HawkFan72":4tjm9kb1 said:
I guess we can safely assume that the 49ers like old kickers?

They seem to like old-everything. Err, excuse me, "wily veterans". :roll:

havent you heard? we're the new pittsburg steelers!

Tech Worlds":4tjm9kb1 said:
They have 20 something picks.

Why not just draft one?

seriously though, i dont understand why we cant draft some college kid with a monster leg? :?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Nice to see the Niners aren't worried about Dawson's weak kickoffs to Percy Harvin. Must be ready to tighten that kickoff squad up and start tackling. No better way to test yourself then twice a year against an elite returner.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2giv82bc said:
Nice to see the Niners aren't worried about Dawson's weak kickoffs to Percy Harvin. Must be ready to tighten that kickoff squad up and start tackling. No better way to test yourself then twice a year against an elite returner.

Maybe it's trial by fire for their coverage unit? :lol:

4freakin9

Reaction score
They could still draft a kicker with a big leg that could handle kickoffs but I don't see them carrying 2 kickers on the active roster. I think what this boils down to is not wanting a rookie kicker to have to line up for a game winning field goal in the playoffs, much rather have a veteran in that situation and that what I'm thinking the niners are thinking.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Heck, if I'm the Niners, I am happy with Dawson. I personally tend to have much lower blood pressure with the aging kicker lining up on a game changer.